29 Jan 2005 14:36:37
Isiafs5
Recent skating observations

Power pulls:

A big part of acceleration is how fast you come up. Thus if you bounce the
knees to a beat, not only are you doing power pulls, also you are using the
muscle stretch-reflex and doing a kind of plyometric workout.

CCW spinners and the weak RFO edge:

For the average skater, the CW front crossover is weaker, especially the
ability to get a good strong push from the RFO edge. I would attribute this to
two things. First, of course, the natural flow of the rink traffic works
against the development of the CW FXO. Secondly, the entry to a front spin
creates a very strong LFO edge. This will show up as a much shorter and less
effective under push on the CW FXO and on the 5 Step Mohawk's 4th Step to a RFO
edge before the Chasse there will be a tendency to not trust the RFO and to go
flat.

I guess one solution would be to work a version of Front Cross Strokes that
might allow very strong FO edges.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

29 Jan 2005 19:41:23
Doris Penndorf
Re: Recent skating observations

"Isiafs5" <isiafs5@aol.com > wrote in message

> I guess one solution would be to work a version of Front Cross Strokes
that
> might allow very strong FO edges.
>
> Part of my warm-up on the ice is alternating forward crossovers in various
patterns including always staying on an outside edge, and then front cross
strokes from a narrow pattern keeping my butt down at all times and think of
bowling. Then I begin to increase the size of the lobes. Once I do these I
feel ready to do other skating as now I have worked both sides. It also
keeps my 'bad' side from not getting used enough. I love edge work!

29 Jan 2005 17:13:12
JeanneD
Re: Recent skating observations

re: power pulls

I seem to do a lot of power pulls out of some skating moves, such as
3s. I'm not sure this is correct but it's how I get flow in my 3s in
the field. I also power pull after landing a waltz jump, I sink and
then lift. I think power pull technique has it's place but seeing how
much of this is experimental, I'm never sure quite what I'm doing, only
that it feels right.

re:For the average skater, the CW front crossover is weaker

Yep, which is why I decided a few years ago to work on them at every
session. It's nice being able to skate like a fish and dart here and
there, any which way. The best thing that happened to me at one skating
session, I thought I was skating my good side forward Xovers, and it
was my offside! Yah.

Another tip I picked up from this newsgroup which has helped me with my
BI3s and just about everything else, staying rigid with the torso. As
soon as I started thinking that way my back inside 3s felt so
comfortable.

Jeanne

30 Jan 2005 15:31:16
Janet

Isiafs5 wrote:

> For the average skater, the CW front crossover is weaker, especially
the
> ability to get a good strong push from the RFO edge. I would
attribute this to
> two things. First, of course, the natural flow of the rink traffic
works
> against the development of the CW FXO. Secondly, the entry to a
front spin
> creates a very strong LFO edge. This will show up as a much shorter
and less
> effective under push on the CW FXO and on the 5 Step Mohawk's 4th
Step to a RFO
> edge before the Chasse there will be a tendency to not trust the RFO
and to go
> flat.

I think MITF are very good for forcing work on weak FO edge, whether
that be L or R for a skater. The 5-step Mohawk sequence fourth step (to
FO edge)is a good illustration in terms of not trusting the FO edge. I
wanted to add that in my opinion, skaters at my level prepping for AB
MITF test also do not achieve a true LBO edge on third step of 5-step
Mohawk. If one achieves a solid BO edge on a correct pattern, the step
forward becomes almost bullet proof. Again, just my opinion, based on
my experience. At least you are set up to step right onto a FO edge. I
didn't get any flats on the 5-step at test, but when I first started
working on 5-step all I *could* get were evil flats. On both sides.