22 Aug 2006 14:16:59
Janet
Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
apply, LOL!

I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!

It was supposed to be a "test and see", due to my
rather.....high.....sit spin. However, it is fairly fast, centered,
and with many revs....so..... I tested. And I saw! I PASSED by all
three judges, and even eked out an "over". I did not get any "unders".
I knew I had passed when I finished the test. I could tell.

For 54, I can't complain at all. Though I do find myself wondering
what it might have been like if I'd waited for another year. I just
didn't want to. I'm becoming a believer in testing as soon as it is
likely you could pass! LOL!

I'll try to make it back here more frequently..... Janet

22 Aug 2006 21:29:25
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Janet <e-skater@accessbee.com > wrote:
: Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
: here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
: Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
: apply, LOL!

: I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
: Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!

: It was supposed to be a "test and see", due to my
: rather.....high.....sit spin. However, it is fairly fast, centered,
: and with many revs....so..... I tested. And I saw! I PASSED by all
: three judges, and even eked out an "over". I did not get any "unders".
: I knew I had passed when I finished the test. I could tell.

: For 54, I can't complain at all.

I don't think you could complain about this at any age :)
Congratulations!!!!

Fiona

22 Aug 2006 14:35:46
jramberg.junkmail

Janet wrote:
> Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
> here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
> Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
> apply, LOL!
>
> I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
> Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!
>
> It was supposed to be a "test and see", due to my
> rather.....high.....sit spin. However, it is fairly fast, centered,
> and with many revs....so..... I tested. And I saw! I PASSED by all
> three judges, and even eked out an "over". I did not get any "unders".
> I knew I had passed when I finished the test. I could tell.
>
> For 54, I can't complain at all. Though I do find myself wondering
> what it might have been like if I'd waited for another year. I just
> didn't want to. I'm becoming a believer in testing as soon as it is
> likely you could pass! LOL!
>
> I'll try to make it back here more frequently..... Janet

Alright, folks! I'm guilty! I told her she should toot her own horn
and post to RSSIR!!! So it's not all her fault! *evil grin*

And of course, I'm very proud (and jealous, but we won't talk about
THAT! ;) ) of you!!! Enjoy "dreamin Silver!!!" ;-)

Cheers,
Joanna

22 Aug 2006 15:15:47
DB

jramberg.junkmail wrote:
> Alright, folks! I'm guilty! I told her she should toot her own horn
> and post to RSSIR!!! So it's not all her fault! *evil grin*

And rightly so!

CONGRATULATIONS!

23 Aug 2006 00:22:57
William Schneider
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Congratulations, Janet!

I'll have to get of my keister and start testing some freestyle. I've done
OK with Moves, but haven't pursued the other side of things.

I shouldn't wait too much longer - my jumps have gone away in the past year.
Sigh.

Bill Schneider

p.s. looking forward to reading more of your posts. There are a number of
past regulars missing in action recently.

22 Aug 2006 21:11:57
Lyle Walsh
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

well done! when my backspin comes back I may have to give it a try too,
your success is encouraging for all of us.
Lyle

23 Aug 2006 05:37:33
Jeanne D
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Janet that's wonderful! Especially the great marks on the sitspin. Hope
you had a nice celebration.

Janet wrote:
> Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
> here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
> Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
> apply, LOL!
>
> I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
> Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!
>
> It was supposed to be a "test and see", due to my
> rather.....high.....sit spin. However, it is fairly fast, centered,
> and with many revs....so..... I tested. And I saw! I PASSED by all
> three judges, and even eked out an "over". I did not get any "unders".
> I knew I had passed when I finished the test. I could tell.
>
> For 54, I can't complain at all. Though I do find myself wondering
> what it might have been like if I'd waited for another year. I just
> didn't want to. I'm becoming a believer in testing as soon as it is
> likely you could pass! LOL!
>
> I'll try to make it back here more frequently..... Janet

23 Aug 2006 06:26:06
Janet

Jeanne D wrote:
> Janet that's wonderful! Especially the great marks on the sitspin. Hope
> you had a nice celebration.

Uh, um......no on the sit spin. That was the one element, though like
I said centered, fairly fast, and many revs was not LOW. They will
comment on that in terms of how the position needs improving, which it
does!

I have not received my test sheets yet. I was permitted to glance at
them, and without my reading glasses (rolling eyes), I could see the
scores but not the chicken scratched comments.

I'm working quite hard on lowering that sit! Janet

23 Aug 2006 09:01:06
Gonna Skate

Janet wrote:
> I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
> Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!

Congratulations!!!!! That is a really big accomplishment!

One important question, what did you wear?

23 Aug 2006 09:32:41
Gordon
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Congratulations Janet!!!!

Janet wrote:
> Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
> here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
> Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
> apply, LOL!
>
> I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
> Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!
>
> It was supposed to be a "test and see", due to my
> rather.....high.....sit spin. However, it is fairly fast, centered,
> and with many revs....so..... I tested. And I saw! I PASSED by all
> three judges, and even eked out an "over". I did not get any "unders".
> I knew I had passed when I finished the test. I could tell.
>
> For 54, I can't complain at all. Though I do find myself wondering
> what it might have been like if I'd waited for another year. I just
> didn't want to. I'm becoming a believer in testing as soon as it is
> likely you could pass! LOL!
>
> I'll try to make it back here more frequently..... Janet

23 Aug 2006 13:41:25
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate

Great news, Janet! I have my eye on this test (somewhat distant future),
so am always happy to hear of others passing it. If you feel like giving a
detailed report, I, for one, would be interested in reading it.

Johanna

23 Aug 2006 18:35:48
Mrs Redboots

Janet wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Tue, 22 Aug 2006:

>Hello, all. I don't post as much as I used to here, but many folks
>here offered tips while I was learning Bronze moves which helped me.
>Not to mention lots of sit spin advice. Which I have yet to fully
>apply, LOL!
>
>I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
>Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!

I've already congratulated you elsewhere, but I'm so very pleased for
you......

>For 54, I can't complain at all.

There's hope for me yet! Skaters in their 50s ROCK!!!!!
--
"Mrs Redboots" http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/index.html
(updated 6 August 2006)

23 Aug 2006 15:48:16
Janet

Gonna Skate wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > I've now graduated to "complete Bronze status" ;-), by passing my
> > Bronze Freeskate test on 8-9-06!
>

> Congratulations!!!!! That is a really big accomplishment!
>
> One important question, what did you wear?

LOL! That cracked me up, actually!

I dressed very simply. Rather than wear a competition dress, I wore a
black velvet skirt, a black velvet top with 3/4 sleeves. It was great.
I was the only one who was "plain". I felt like I was there to test,
so I dressed in basically "better practice clothes". My coach has
always told me that you only need to be neat and clean for
testing.......HA HA!

I do tend to dress differently for ice dance tests, though. ;-) One
always hopes they will be watching the clothing a bit, and maybe not
the feet ....but that never happens! LOL!

Janet

23 Aug 2006 15:51:47
Janet

Mrs Redboots wrote:
> I've already congratulated you elsewhere, but I'm so very pleased for
> you......
>
> >For 54, I can't complain at all.
>
> There's hope for me yet! Skaters in their 50s ROCK!!!!!
> --
> "Mrs Redboots"

Yeah, WE DO! Big time! I never thought I'd be past a waltz jump, that
is for sure! It really is amazing how simple a thing as this can make
you feel great! Janet

24 Aug 2006 08:40:34
Mrs Redboots

Janet wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Wed, 23 Aug 2006:

>I do tend to dress differently for ice dance tests, though. ;-) One
>always hopes they will be watching the clothing a bit, and maybe not
>the feet ....but that never happens! LOL!

How very true! I remember years ago I was competing solo dance at the
Mountain Cup and during the Dutch Waltz I suddenly realised that, for
some extraordinary reason, I simply couldn't find an edge on the long
swing rolls. So I grinned frantically at the judges as I went past,
hoping to distract them from my lack of edges..... "but," said one of
the judges afterwards, "it didn't work!"
--
"Mrs Redboots" http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/index.html
(updated 6 August 2006)
http://mrs_redboots.livejournal.com

24 Aug 2006 12:06:26
Janet
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate (Report as requested!)

johanna@herworkplace.com wrote:
> Great news, Janet! I have my eye on this test (somewhat distant future),
> so am always happy to hear of others passing it. If you feel like giving a
> detailed report, I, for one, would be interested in reading it.
>
> Johanna

It's too far after that fact now to give you my off-the-top-of-my-head
impressions of my test. However, I received my test sheets today! I
was hoping there might be at least one nice thing, as opposed to what I
expected which was constructive criticism of my sit spin position.

Marks were Judge 1, 2.5 2.6; Judge 2, 2.5 2.5; Judge 3, 2.5 2.5. At
least I did not get any "unders".

Comments, Judge 1, sit spin position not low enough, more flow on jump
exit
good feel for music, and nice
transitions

Judge 2, weak spin position
nice feel for music and use of your
arms

Judge 3, no technical comments made
very nice program, nice flow

So, there you have it. Maybe I could have done better a year from now,
maybe not. It's hard to say. But it doesn't matter now. I passed fair
and square and am moving on to other skating projects now! Janet

28 Aug 2006 12:45:47
Re: Passed Adult Bronze Freeskate (Report as requested!)

Thanks for posting your marks and comments, Janet. I hope you felt
gratified to read the nice things the judges said about feeling the music,
etc.

Johanna