25 Oct 2004 16:35:39
e-skater
Horrid Skating during Lesson, and Past Testers Coming out of Woodwork Rant

Great that I so happily posted here that I am testing AB MITF soon. I
say this sarcastically. Today I had the *most horrific* lesson, mostly
on MITF elements. Talk about three steps backwards. And, testing in
just a couple of weeks. I asked coach if I could ask for my test app
back. Of course the answer was "no way". Ever the optimist, coach
just kept correcting me. All my weak elements were *very* weak today.
It's like before I realized the power 3 improvement. Back to the
beginning practically. Then there was the instructor who was skating
adult session, doing a program which covered every inch of the ice,
double jumps, etc., who had to grind to a stop more than once as I was
mincing by with horrid power 3's. But that's no excuse. If I can't
focus during that, how can I hope to focus during testing?!

In addition, it seems that suddenly I am running into past testers, ,
all of whom (with the exception of two people) said "Oh, I flunked
that test twice." Or even three times, with one adult. This is not
encouraging to me. This started to make me worry. And it seems
people come out of the woodwork, once the "T" word is out, with horror
stories. So, by the end of session today I almost just didn't care
anymore. I said to myself, "I am doing this. If I flunk, I flunk,
and apparently I won't be the first person who has. At least I will
know where I stand."

25 Oct 2004 20:08:58
The Walsh Family
Re: Horrid Skating during Lesson, and Past Testers Coming out of Woodwork Rant

heck moves are tough by definition and trying to do them during someone's
program practice is almost impossible! This was just your lowest point, now
relax and you can bring it back together. Good luck
Lyle

> In addition, it seems that suddenly I am running into past testers, ,
> all of whom (with the exception of two people) said "Oh, I flunked
> that test twice." Or even three times, with one adult. This is not
> encouraging to me. This started to make me worry. And it seems
> people come out of the woodwork, once the "T" word is out, with horror
> stories. So, by the end of session today I almost just didn't care
> anymore. I said to myself, "I am doing this. If I flunk, I flunk,
> and apparently I won't be the first person who has. At least I will
> know where I stand."

26 Oct 2004 00:21:39
Julia Garcia
Re: Horrid Skating during Lesson, and Past Testers Coming out of Woodwork Rant

Don't feel bad, I had the same kind of day. On a session with two skaters
who are practicing for sectionals (one junior, one senior), their triples
were flying and my puny preliminary moves were falling apart. Oh well, this
has happened before, tomorrow is another day. And tomorrow I have a dance
lesson, so by definition life is good.

Julia

"e-skater" <e-skater@accessbee.com > wrote in message
> Great that I so happily posted here that I am testing AB MITF soon. I
> say this sarcastically. Today I had the *most horrific* lesson, mostly
> on MITF elements.

26 Oct 2004 12:37:47
Mrs Redboots
Re: Horrid Skating during Lesson, and Past Testers Coming out of Woodwork Rant

e-skater wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Mon, 25 Oct
2004:

>Great that I so happily posted here that I am testing AB MITF soon. I
>say this sarcastically. Today I had the *most horrific* lesson, mostly
>on MITF elements. Talk about three steps backwards.

Stop worrying. This ALWAYS happens just before a test or competition,
you can practically tell the date of the event by it. Absolutely
normal! You'll be fine on the day.

Your coach probably wouldn't have signed your test papers if s/he didn't
think you were 95% sure of passing. The judge is looking for reasons to
pass you, not reasons to fail you, so if they reckon it's just nerves
affecting you, they'll give you a reskate (assuming your test system
allows for reskates)!

You'll be fine on the day, unless nerves get the better of you again -
and now you have got them out of the way, that probably won't happen.
If they do, and you fail, so what? All you have done is wasted the
entry fee - and gained some valuable feedback on what you need to work
on. If, by any remote chance (and I don't think it's likely) you have
been entered when you're totally not ready, it's your coach who will get
stick from the judge, not you!
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

27 Oct 2004 09:40:37
Catherine Rees Lay
Re: Horrid Skating during Lesson, and Past Testers Coming out of Woodwork Rant

In article <554d80d1.0410251535.57158f19@posting.google.com >, e-skater
<e-skater@accessbee.com > writes
>Great that I so happily posted here that I am testing AB MITF soon. I
>say this sarcastically. Today I had the *most horrific* lesson, mostly
>on MITF elements. Talk about three steps backwards. And, testing in
>just a couple of weeks. I asked coach if I could ask for my test app
>back. Of course the answer was "no way". Ever the optimist, coach
>just kept correcting me. All my weak elements were *very* weak today.
> It's like before I realized the power 3 improvement. Back to the
>beginning practically. Then there was the instructor who was skating
>adult session, doing a program which covered every inch of the ice,
>double jumps, etc., who had to grind to a stop more than once as I was
>mincing by with horrid power 3's. But that's no excuse. If I can't
>focus during that, how can I hope to focus during testing?!
>
>In addition, it seems that suddenly I am running into past testers, ,
>all of whom (with the exception of two people) said "Oh, I flunked
>that test twice." Or even three times, with one adult. This is not
>encouraging to me. This started to make me worry. And it seems
>people come out of the woodwork, once the "T" word is out, with horror
>stories. So, by the end of session today I almost just didn't care
>anymore. I said to myself, "I am doing this. If I flunk, I flunk,
>and apparently I won't be the first person who has. At least I will
>know where I stand."

You know what they say about a bad dress rehearsal...

Don't panic, it'll come back (but do check that your blades aren't loose
or blunt).

Catherine.
--
Catherine Rees Lay
To email me, use my first name in front of the "at".