28 Jan 2005 01:29:38
johns
Got it

Dutch Waltz is simple enough .. at least to learn the
pattern. Not a clue as to the quality of the moves, but
that will come in time. So typically what comes next?
I can tell that at some point I'm going to have to focus
on just individual elements and try to drill them until
they become automatic. One of my dance partners says
that dance moves transfer well from floor practice. I
can do the Dutch Waltz in my living room .. or if I'm
feeling evil, I can do it while following Wifey around
the grocery store :-)

johns

28 Jan 2005 10:06:43
Mrs Redboots
Re: Got it

johns wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Fri, 28 Jan 2005:

>Dutch Waltz is simple enough .. at least to learn the
>pattern. Not a clue as to the quality of the moves, but
>that will come in time. So typically what comes next?
>I can tell that at some point I'm going to have to focus
>on just individual elements and try to drill them until
>they become automatic. One of my dance partners says
>that dance moves transfer well from floor practice. I
>can do the Dutch Waltz in my living room .. or if I'm
>feeling evil, I can do it while following Wifey around
>the grocery store :-)

Or even persuade her to dance it round the grocery store with you! That
gets some odd looks....

Okay, next up is to really work on those forward swing rolls. Work them
"with body", i.e. so that your shoulders and hips work together, and
"counter-body", so that your shoulders remain parallel to the end of the
rink - both are good, and it helps to be able to do both. Make sure
that your free leg is fully extended behind, with your knee straight and
the toe pointed, and when you bring it forward, brush your feet
together, and rise up in the skating knee so that you feel a little
"oomph" at the end of the swing. Make sure you bring your feet back
together (my big fault just now), so that you don't lose momentum as you
re-bend and push into the next edge.

I don't know what the next dance you will learn is, but if it's the
Rhythm Blues, you will need inside swing rolls, too. These are usually
done counter-body - your free shoulder is forward, and your skating
shoulder back, and they change during the move. They are actually
easier, most people find, than outside swing rolls, but I know you have
had trouble with the push from inside edge to inside edge, so you'll
want to work on that.

You will also need to learn chasses, both ordinary chasses, "closed
chasses" (aka cross-behinds) and slide chasses. Again, lap after lap,
circle after circle....

Have fun!
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

29 Jan 2005 00:32:02
johns
Re: Got it

> Or even persuade her to dance it round the grocery store with you! That
> gets some odd looks....

I also have a pretty convincing retarded guy walk. She loves that one.

> Okay, next up is to really work on those forward swing rolls. Work them
> "with body", i.e. so that your shoulders and hips work together, and
> "counter-body", so that your shoulders remain parallel to the end of the
> rink -

I have a feeling that will be next Sundays lesson. Coach said we'll get to
the details once I can get through the pattern. I've got strong conflict
with cross-steps. Find it very hard to place feet back together in
the swing rolls. I'm use to stepping to the next skate on an outside
edge, and tend to "try" to exit the swing roll that way. Mess.

johns