26 Aug 2004 19:59:21
W Letendre
Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

Practicing P3s this evening. On field service trip, again, in the
South of Florida; found a nice rink in a place called Sunrise, on the
West Side of Ft Lauderdale. Tonight's evening Public Session was just
over 2 hours, not too crowded, mostly figure skaters. Saw one coach
doing an outrageously fast scratch spin; timed him by stopwatch at
just over 200 RPM. But, I digress....

Tried taking Janet Swan Hill's advice, from thread on "Lesson from
Hades", regarding balance during each of the elements in a Power
Three. Helped a lot, particularly business of checking to be sure that
balance on each segment was true enough to interrupt pattern at that
point and just glide. Actually, did that by default; there was just
enough traffic on the ice that I _had_ to interrupt pattern, more than
once.

Also recalled comment I got from Coach Leona, last lesson. She watched
me doing P3s, shook her head in exasperation, and said, "William, I
KNOW you can do a back crossover better than that. That isn't even a
crossover; it's just 'step - step - step!'"

Well, believe she was right. Wasn't doing crossovers with full "push
under" stroke that she has me practice with such deadly monotony,
round and round the hockey circles. Instead, was doing "cheater" BXO I
first learned on hockey skates. So, tried concentrating on doing all
proper elements of BXO as part of P3. A bit slower at first, and a bit
uncertain on the turns. But, presently, pieces began fitting a bit,
and started feeling a bit of "snap" in the turns. Needs more practice,
certainly, but, think I can see where I'm going to.

So, did Power Threes all night, by the dozen, by the gross, by
cordwood measure. One of the Hockey Poppas at the rink, fellow a good
bit younger than me, watched me doing a few of them, shook his head in
that half bewildered half disgusted look that hockey skaters get when
trying to figure out what the blue blazes figure skaters are trying to
do on the ice. Then, think he decided that anything a grizzled old
fool like me could do, he could do too. And, damn if he didn't try to
do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
admission!

W Letendre

27 Aug 2004 05:01:27
Isiafs5
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

>W Letendre)

>And, damn if he didn't try to
>do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
>admission!

That is exactly why I switched from hockey skates to freestyle skates.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

27 Aug 2004 08:52:12
Annabel Smyth
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

W Letendre wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 26 Aug
2004:

>Tried taking Janet Swan Hill's advice, from thread on "Lesson from
>Hades", regarding balance during each of the elements in a Power
>Three. Helped a lot, particularly business of checking to be sure that
>balance on each segment was true enough to interrupt pattern at that
>point and just glide. Actually, did that by default; there was just
>enough traffic on the ice that I _had_ to interrupt pattern, more than
>once.

I don't do power 3s, but our BI edges, from our Field Moves, contain
elements of them, in that you have to widestep and get power from the
weight shift and the edge - you don't push. So when I was doing them
last night, I was focussing on making sure I was well balanced on each
edge. Also my Mohawk exercise. Which is improving, slowly.

>Also recalled comment I got from Coach Leona, last lesson. She watched
>me doing P3s, shook her head in exasperation, and said, "William, I
>KNOW you can do a back crossover better than that. That isn't even a
>crossover; it's just 'step - step - step!'"

And I bet, if you think about it, that you were doing them like that
because they are more scary if you do them properly - you get the POWER
that the move is named for, and then you are skating outside your
comfort zone. At least, that's what happens to me when I'm doing stuff
like that!

> And, damn if he didn't try to
>do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
>admission!

How many times did he land on his bum?
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

27 Aug 2004 09:44:55
W Letendre

Annabel Smyth <Annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk > wrote in message news:<0iiCBnBsguLBFwDA@amsmyth.demon.co.uk>...
> W Letendre wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 26 Aug
> 2004:
>
> >Also recalled comment I got from Coach Leona, last lesson. She watched
> >me doing P3s, shook her head in exasperation, and said, "William, I
> >KNOW you can do a back crossover better than that. That isn't even a
> >crossover; it's just 'step - step - step!'"
> >
> And I bet, if you think about it, that you were doing them like that
> because they are more scary if you do them properly - you get the POWER
> that the move is named for, and then you are skating outside your
> comfort zone. At least, that's what happens to me when I'm doing stuff
> like that!

Yeah, no question. Cheater BXOs are more familiar, less scary... and
MUCH wimpier!

> > And, damn if he didn't try to
> >do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
> >admission!
> >
> How many times did he land on his bum?

Ah, well, to be fair, he wasn't a lot clumsier than I was trying the
same move first time. Difference was, this time I got to watch!

W Letendre

27 Aug 2004 12:58:16
Johanna Ehrmann
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

In article <e983542d.0408261859.5d60bdc@posting.google.com >, W Letendre
<wjlservo@worldnet.att.net > wrote:
And, damn if he didn't try to
> do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
> admission!
>
> W Letendre

Once after I'd been working on power pulls, I noticed a speed skater
trying them. He didn't have much luck on those blades, but it made me
smile.

Johanna

PS Am enjoying the power 3 discussion, since I'm working on them, too.

27 Aug 2004 15:22:49
e-skater

Johanna Ehrmann <jehrmann@world.std.com > wrote in message news:<270820041258167824%jehrmann@world.std.com>...

> Once after I'd been working on power pulls, I noticed a speed skater
> trying them. He didn't have much luck on those blades, but it made me
> smile.
>
> Johanna
>
> PS Am enjoying the power 3 discussion, since I'm working on them, too.

A speed skater, eh? Impressive! In message titled "Lesson From
Hades" there's a post from Janet Swan Hill about power 3's you might
enjoy. Janet

27 Aug 2004 17:33:29
W Letendre
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

Johanna Ehrmann <jehrmann@world.std.com > wrote in message news:<270820041258167824%jehrmann@world.std.com>...
> In article <e983542d.0408261859.5d60bdc@posting.google.com>, W Letendre
> <wjlservo@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> And, damn if he didn't try to
> > do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
> > admission!
> >
> > W Letendre
>
> Once after I'd been working on power pulls, I noticed a speed skater
> trying them. He didn't have much luck on those blades, but it made me
> smile.
>
> Johanna
>
> PS Am enjoying the power 3 discussion, since I'm working on them, too.

Power Pulls!?!?! On Speedskates?!?!?! Now, that is just plain NUTS!

w Letendre

27 Aug 2004 17:35:37
W Letendre

isiafs5@aol.com (Isiafs5) wrote in message news:<20040827010127.12089.00004206@mb-m01.aol.com >...
> >W Letendre)
>
> >And, damn if he didn't try to
> >do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
> >admission!
> >

> That is exactly why I switched from hockey skates to freestyle skates.
>

> Sling Skate

***Sigh*** Yeah, might be skating on my old Grafs still, if I had ever
figure out how to do a 3 turn on hockey blades....

w Letendre

28 Aug 2004 10:59:07
Jeanne
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

<< Well, believe she was right. Wasn't doing crossovers with full "push under"
stroke that she has me practice with such deadly monotony, >>

I believe one of my instructors had a fix for that, but it cost my knee dearly
during that session. I was told to insert an extra crossover between the 3 and
for some reason I found that much harder to do. I went down immediately on my
back knee hard (warning you ahead of time... : >) ))) - but it's a good
exercise.

Now I like to practice my power 3s both ways, with an extra backXover or
without. Variety is the spice o life they say!

Jeanne

28 Aug 2004 07:53:50
W Letendre

jmdjeanne@aol.com (Jeanne) wrote in message news:<20040828065907.06859.00003783@mb-m13.aol.com >...
> << Well, believe she was right. Wasn't doing crossovers with full "push under"
> stroke that she has me practice with such deadly monotony,>>
>
> I believe one of my instructors had a fix for that, but it cost my knee dearly
> during that session. I was told to insert an extra crossover between the 3 and
> for some reason I found that much harder to do. I went down immediately on my
> back knee hard (warning you ahead of time... :>) ))) - but it's a good
> exercise.
>
> Now I like to practice my power 3s both ways, with an extra backXover or
> without. Variety is the spice o life they say!
>
> Jeanne

Sounds interesting. Should be back on ice at Salem on Monday; I'll
have to give that a try! Thanks for the warning about knees,
though....

W Letendre

28 Aug 2004 13:17:03
Johanna Ehrmann
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

In article <554d80d1.0408271422.21799512@posting.google.com >, e-skater
<e-skater@accessbee.com > wrote:

A speed skater, eh? Impressive! In message titled "Lesson From
> Hades" there's a post from Janet Swan Hill about power 3's you might
> enjoy. Janet

That's the discussion I was actually referring to. I've saved janet's
post to review, like many of her past posts.

Thanks for reporting on your unexpected lesson.

Johanna

30 Aug 2004 18:22:03
GonnaSkate
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

>From: wjlservo@worldnet.att.net (W Letendre)

> One of the Hockey Poppas at the rink, fellow a good
>bit younger than me, watched me doing a few of them, shook his head in
>that half bewildered half disgusted look that hockey skaters get when
>trying to figure out what the blue blazes figure skaters are trying to
>do on the ice. Then, think he decided that anything a grizzled old
>fool like me could do, he could do too. And, damn if he didn't try to
>do a Power Three on hockey skates. That.... was worth the price of
>admission!

I had the pleasure of watching a very athletic looking Hockey Daddy teaching
his eager figure skating daughter how to do crossovers into a mohawk into, you
guessed it, a waltz jump. All on hockey skates. He was able to mimic the proper
figure skater stance of arms out, back up, denim clad rear-end churning in
gorgeous figure eights, nice pre-rotation into the beautifully upright mohawk
with his feet close together, and a lovely airy waltz jump with a perfectly
checked, sustained landing edge and quiet blades. All with a running monolog
of, "Bend your knees, look up, back straight, push, push, push." Sigh. Hubby
had to drag me off, "Your staring." Well, duh. No toe picks!

Gonna Skate

31 Aug 2004 00:11:10
W Letendre
Re: Feedback on Good Advice - Power Threes

> I had the pleasure of watching a very athletic looking Hockey Daddy teaching
> his eager figure skating daughter how to do crossovers into a mohawk into, you
> guessed it, a waltz jump. All on hockey skates. He was able to mimic the proper
> figure skater stance of arms out, back up, denim clad rear-end churning in
> gorgeous figure eights, nice pre-rotation into the beautifully upright mohawk
> with his feet close together, and a lovely airy waltz jump with a perfectly
> checked, sustained landing edge and quiet blades. All with a running monolog
> of, "Bend your knees, look up, back straight, push, push, push." Sigh. Hubby
> had to drag me off, "Your staring." Well, duh. No toe picks!
>
> Gonna Skate

No toe picks, indeed! My wife thinks I'm a bit daft, skating with all
the loveliest women at freestyle sessions.... and mostly noticing their
footwork!

W Letendre