20 Nov 2004 22:05:02
William Schneider
Blind skaters

In the past couple of years I've run across a couple of blind skaters on
roller skates. Here's a url to a newspaper story about an older blind woman
who roller dances with an acquaintance of mine.

http://tinyurl.com/jdq7

Last Thursday after our adult roller session was over, I saw a young blind
teenager venture out into a public roller session. It was apparently his
third or fourth time skating. The other teenagers helped him around the rink
(that was heart-warming to see!), and the manager tells me that later in the
sessions he goes to the center and skates by himself. What courage that must
take!

Has anyone seen this on ice? Other disabililties are handled with "ice
scooters" for lack of a better term, but I have never encountered someone
seeing-impaired on the ice. I wonder how common this is?

--
Bill Schneider

20 Nov 2004 23:00:52
Mrs Redboots
Re: Blind skaters

William Schneider wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Sat, 20
Nov 2004:

>Has anyone seen this on ice? Other disabililties are handled with "ice
>scooters" for lack of a better term, but I have never encountered someone
>seeing-impaired on the ice. I wonder how common this is?

My sister-in-law is blind, and my nephew is visually impaired, and both
of them have skated - my nephew says that sometimes he goes to his local
rink with a gang of friends. I've told him that when he is 18 he must
learn to dance so that we can do the Visually Impaired class at the
Mountain Cup together!
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

21 Nov 2004 20:31:39
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Blind skaters

William Schneider <william.schneider@ohio.edu > wrote:
: In the past couple of years I've run across a couple of blind skaters on
: roller skates. Here's a url to a newspaper story about an older blind woman
: who roller dances with an acquaintance of mine.

: http://tinyurl.com/jdq7

: Last Thursday after our adult roller session was over, I saw a young blind
: teenager venture out into a public roller session. It was apparently his
: third or fourth time skating. The other teenagers helped him around the rink
: (that was heart-warming to see!), and the manager tells me that later in the
: sessions he goes to the center and skates by himself. What courage that must
: take!

: Has anyone seen this on ice? Other disabililties are handled with "ice
: scooters" for lack of a better term, but I have never encountered someone
: seeing-impaired on the ice. I wonder how common this is?

There is an older English gentleman in my area who has some vision
impairment (I'm
not sure how serious, but he uses a white cane off the ice) and who ice
dances regularly. I swear, his patterns and steps are so precise that it's
really difficult to believe he has trouble seeing what he's doing. It's
really a joy to watch him skate.

He usually skates with a partner (and all of the older ladies take turns
dancing with him) so maybe his partners help to guide him on the ice...I
don't often
see him working on his own.

Fiona

21 Nov 2004 23:07:49
Mrs Redboots
Re: Blind skaters

>William Schneider wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Sat, 20
>Nov 2004:
>

>>Has anyone seen this on ice? Other disabililties are handled with "ice
>>scooters" for lack of a better term, but I have never encountered someone
>>seeing-impaired on the ice. I wonder how common this is?

Following up my previous post, I once discussed visually impaired
skaters with my first coach, and she told me that as long as there was
no other impairment, VI skaters could do as well as any other. She said
that at one stage our rink had had a school for VI children take regular
lessons, and the only thing that was different from teaching sighted
children was that you had to touch them more to put their bodies into
the right place, as they couldn't actually see what you were showing
them any other way. But they could and did manage quite beautifully.
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 6 November 2004 with new photos

21 Nov 2004 23:42:27
William Schneider
Re: Blind skaters

<<said that at one stage our rink had had a school for VI children take
regular
lessons, and the only thing that was different from teaching sighted
children was that you had to... >>

Hmm... I imagine that it still would be much more challenging. Some coaches
must be saints.

I'm happy to see that it isn't that uncommon. Because I spend about 6x more
time on ice than at a roller rink, I was surprised that both examples I knew
about were roller skaters. Then again, given the anarchy at our public ice
sessions, perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised.

Bill Schneider

22 Nov 2004 13:19:06
Lionello
Re: Blind skaters

I live in a small city, (30,000).
There's a blind man here, ( 60-some yr old), who walks all over town, (no
dog), plays dodgeball, and skates a couple times a week.
Everyone knows him, and helps him when they see him in difficulty on the
street. When he walks into the rink, someone takes his arm to the dressing
room, and when he steps onto the ice, he waits and someone takes his arm
and he skates for 1/2 hour. The partners change. Nice.

In article <DJ9od.24539$T13.7852@fe2.columbus.rr.com >, "William Schneider"
<william.schneider@ohio.edu > wrote:

<<said that at one stage our rink had had a school for VI children take
regular
lessons, and the only thing that was different from teaching sighted
children was that you had to... >>

Hmm... I imagine that it still would be much more challenging. Some coaches
must be saints.

I'm happy to see that it isn't that uncommon. Because I spend about 6x more
time on ice than at a roller rink, I was surprised that both examples I knew
about were roller skaters. Then again, given the anarchy at our public ice
sessions, perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised.

Bill Schneider

--
Lionel
Morality has nothing in common with politics.
...Bob Dylan
www.cameraart.ca

28 Nov 2004 22:10:12
John Lincoln
Re: Blind skaters

William Schneider wrote:

> In the past couple of years I've run across a couple of blind skaters on
> roller skates. Here's a url to a newspaper story about an older blind woman
> who roller dances with an acquaintance of mine.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/jdq7
>
> Last Thursday after our adult roller session was over, I saw a young blind
> teenager venture out into a public roller session. It was apparently his
> third or fourth time skating. The other teenagers helped him around the rink
> (that was heart-warming to see!), and the manager tells me that later in the
> sessions he goes to the center and skates by himself. What courage that must
> take!
>
> Has anyone seen this on ice? Other disabililties are handled with "ice
> scooters" for lack of a better term, but I have never encountered someone
> seeing-impaired on the ice. I wonder how common this is?

There was, at one time on the West coast in the early 60s, a fairly
successful senior pair in which the young man was near legally blind;
his partner (also his sister, if I recall rightly) talked him through
the skating. I can't recall their names, though, and I don't recognize
any names in old Skating Magazines of the time. A year or so ago, I ran
across a website:

http://www.sabahinc.org/

that caters to blind and handicapped skaters. In the San Francisco Bay
area, there is a racing sailor who is legally blind also. He once
sailed in the Singlehanded Transpac race, SF to Hawaii, and finished
SECOND. His compass and nav aids all had voice outputs. Can't imagine
how he trimmed his sails efficiently for the race, especially the
spinnaker; the Pacific can throw nasty weather at you any time, I've
sailed in some of it.

-jl John

--God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made Congress