30 Jan 2007 17:24:50
W Letendre
Black Ice & Moonlight

Took off from work early today, bundled up good & warm at home, and
hiked down to the pond to skate. Smallish pond, ~ 250 m each way,
but.... had it all to myself. Not another living soul on the ice. No
wild turkeys, either.....

Ice was black and hard, a good 6-8 inch, 15-20 cm thick. Hardly made a
sound under my weight. Just a nice, quiet, night time hush, broken by
the silky swish of steel blades. Did switch back to hockey skates,
though; ice surface was a bit rough.

Mostly clear night, with wisps of high, thin clouds, backlit by a 3/4
moon. Could still see the brightest stars, the bull looking askance at
Orion with his red Aldeberan bull's eye, and the hunter's two hounds,
Sirius and Procyon, snapping at his heels. Lovely, lovely night!

Skated about two hours before the cold started pinching my fingers and
toes. Afraid I worried my dear wife a bit. Hope next time, maybe
she'll come with....

W Letendre

30 Jan 2007 19:51:35
Jeanne D
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

That is awsum Will, poetic. Sounds like a Currier and Ives moment.

I've been out on the lake just once, had a visitor from the moment I
arrived. A great blue heron checking out my baby blue skates, so I
thought. Then I realized he was hoping I'd drill a hole, drop and line
and catch him a fish! Great blue hung out by the dock the entire time
I skated.

But what is a great blue heron doing in these parts in January? I
photographed him, standing on the ice. Too bad the wild turkeys
weren't around to keep him company.

Yup - the ice was noisy, bubbly. Bad freeze this year but we'll take
it.

On Jan 31, 1:24?am, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net > wrote:
> Took off from work early today, bundled up good & warm at home, and
> hiked down to the pond to skate. Smallish pond, ~ 250 m each way,
> but.... had it all to myself. Not another living soul on the ice. No
> wild turkeys, either.....
>
> Ice was black and hard, a good 6-8 inch, 15-20 cm thick. Hardly made a
> sound under my weight. Just a nice, quiet, night time hush, broken by
> the silky swish of steel blades. Did switch back to hockey skates,
> though; ice surface was a bit rough.
>
> Mostly clear night, with wisps of high, thin clouds, backlit by a 3/4
> moon. Could still see the brightest stars, the bull looking askance at
> Orion with his red Aldeberan bull's eye, and the hunter's two hounds,
> Sirius and Procyon, snapping at his heels. Lovely, lovely night!
>
> Skated about two hours before the cold started pinching my fingers and
> toes. Afraid I worried my dear wife a bit. Hope next time, maybe
> she'll come with....
>
> W Letendre

31 Jan 2007 07:12:24
W Letendre
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Jan 30, 10:51 pm, "Jeanne D" <jeannedecaro...@netzero.com > wrote:
> That is awsum Will, poetic. Sounds like a Currier and Ives moment.
>
> I've been out on the lake just once, had a visitor from the moment I
> arrived. A great blue heron checking out my baby blue skates, so I
> thought. Then I realized he was hoping I'd drill a hole, drop and line
> and catch him a fish! Great blue hung out by the dock the entire time
> I skated.
>
> But what is a great blue heron doing in these parts in January? I
> photographed him, standing on the ice. Too bad the wild turkeys
> weren't around to keep him company.
>
> Yup - the ice was noisy, bubbly. Bad freeze this year but we'll take
> it.
>
> On Jan 31, 1:24?am, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

A blue heron?!?!? I've _never_ seen one of those birds in winter time!
I agree with your best guess; think he must have been waiting for an
ice fisher to get him his dinner!

Did mention the pond at the end of our road to Coach Leona when my
wife and I moved, last Fall. She remembered skating at that same pond
when she was a little girl, first learning to skate. I'll have to ask
Leona's daughter Christine if she skated there, too.

Truthfully, the ice wasn't too bad, just rough enough that I was
fearful of catching a toe pick and falling. Ice had the usual long
cracks and crevices that open ice will get from the strain of settling
as it freezes, so, decided to "chicken out" and go with hockey skates.
At that, might have been willing to risk freestyle blades in daylight.
Maybe this weekend, if we don't get too much snow.....

W Letendre

31 Jan 2007 12:08:31
Jeanne D
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Jan 31, 3:12?pm, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net > wrote:
> A blue heron?!?!? I've _never_ seen one of those birds in winter time!

I know. Their inner radar was messed up from the warm temps we had in
November, plus there was a 70 degree day on Jan. 6th.

Here he is;

http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/greatblue.jpg
http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/heron2.jpg

Notice the scratch spin on heron2.jpg and how he looks over his left
shoulder, good technique! ;) Next time I skate at the lake I must
bring him dinner from either Shaws or the local bait store.

> Did mention the pond at the end of our road to Coach Leona when my
> wife and I moved, last Fall. She remembered skating at that same pond
> when she was a little girl, first learning to skate.

That makes sense, she didn't not have a problem with giving me lessons
outdoors on a pond when I asked her about that many years ago.

Couple of tango stops from interesting perspectives for anyone
interested;

http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/tango.mov
http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/100_8057.MOV

> Truthfully, the ice wasn't too bad, just rough enough that I was
> fearful of catching a toe pick and falling. Ice had the usual long
> cracks and crevices that open ice will get from the strain of settling
> as it freezes, so, decided to "chicken out" and go with hockey skates.

The ice around here is very bumpy. I'm a little bit further North and
we had a slushy mix hours after a really nice freeze. Happens quite
frequently, a real teaser!

01 Feb 2007 11:05:49
W Letendre
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Jan 31, 3:08 pm, "Jeanne D" <jeannedecaro...@netzero.com > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 3:12?pm, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > A blue heron?!?!? I've _never_ seen one of those birds in winter time!
>
> I know. Their inner radar was messed up from the warm temps we had in
> November, plus there was a 70 degree day on Jan. 6th.
>
> Here he is;
>
> http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/greatblue.jpghttp://www.jeannedecarolis.com/heron2.jpg
>
> Notice the scratch spin on heron2.jpg and how he looks over his left
> shoulder, good technique! ;) Next time I skate at the lake I must
> bring him dinner from either Shaws or the local bait store.
>
> > Did mention the pond at the end of our road to Coach Leona when my
> > wife and I moved, last Fall. She remembered skating at that same pond
> > when she was a little girl, first learning to skate.
>
> That makes sense, she didn't not have a problem with giving me lessons
> outdoors on a pond when I asked her about that many years ago.
>
> Couple of tango stops from interesting perspectives for anyone
> interested;
>
> http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/tango.movhttp://www.jeannedecarolis.com/100_8057.MOV
>
> > Truthfully, the ice wasn't too bad, just rough enough that I was
> > fearful of catching a toe pick and falling. Ice had the usual long
> > cracks and crevices that open ice will get from the strain of settling
> > as it freezes, so, decided to "chicken out" and go with hockey skates.
>
> The ice around here is very bumpy. I'm a little bit further North and
> we had a slushy mix hours after a really nice freeze. Happens quite
> frequently, a real teaser!

Liked the heron pictures. Wasn't able to play back the Quictime clips,
though; maybe I need to upgrade to newer version?

Hoping to make it back onto pond this weekend, unless the sleet storm
the forecasters are talking about ruins the ice. Ah, well, did get in
one outdoor skate this year. Better than last winter!

W Letendre

03 Feb 2007 19:39:49
Steve
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On 1 Feb 2007 11:05:49 -0800, "W Letendre" <wjlservo@worldnet.att.net >
wrote:

>Liked the heron pictures. Wasn't able to play back the Quictime clips,
>though; maybe I need to upgrade to newer version?

Both heron pictures and the clips fine here. I enjoyed them! You
are both making me very jealous here, I want to do this :-)

Steve

04 Feb 2007 05:37:35
W Letendre
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Jan 31, 3:08 pm, "Jeanne D" <jeannedecaro...@netzero.com > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 3:12?pm, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > A blue heron?!?!? I've _never_ seen one of those birds in winter time!
>
> I know. Their inner radar was messed up from the warm temps we had in
> November, plus there was a 70 degree day on Jan. 6th.
>
> Here he is;
>
> http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/greatblue.jpghttp://www.jeannedecarolis.com/heron2.jpg
>
> Notice the scratch spin on heron2.jpg and how he looks over his left
> shoulder, good technique! ;) Next time I skate at the lake I must
> bring him dinner from either Shaws or the local bait store.
>
> > Did mention the pond at the end of our road to Coach Leona when my
> > wife and I moved, last Fall. She remembered skating at that same pond
> > when she was a little girl, first learning to skate.
>
> That makes sense, she didn't not have a problem with giving me lessons
> outdoors on a pond when I asked her about that many years ago.
>
> Couple of tango stops from interesting perspectives for anyone
> interested;
>
> http://www.jeannedecarolis.com/tango.movhttp://www.jeannedecarolis.com/100_8057.MOV
>
> > Truthfully, the ice wasn't too bad, just rough enough that I was
> > fearful of catching a toe pick and falling. Ice had the usual long
> > cracks and crevices that open ice will get from the strain of settling
> > as it freezes, so, decided to "chicken out" and go with hockey skates.
>
> The ice around here is very bumpy. I'm a little bit further North and
> we had a slushy mix hours after a really nice freeze. Happens quite
> frequently, a real teaser!

Ah, switched my old Mac Wallstreet system partiton from MacOS 9 to
MacOS 10; the newer version of QT played your Tango Stop videos just
fine.

Gotta admit, I think I'd be too chicken to try a stop like that, with
braking edge forward, primed to trip over.... while pointing an MPG
camera at my feet!

W Letendre

04 Feb 2007 09:47:09
Lyle Walsh
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

here in Charleston SC its already getting to be spring - bad news for the
flowers and birds if we get another cold snap. However the birds disagree
and there are massive flocks of Ibis and Woodstorks and the horned owls are
already back. Still don't see any bees or butterflys. While this is nice,
I'd sure love to skate on a pond some day.
Lyle

04 Feb 2007 07:25:03
Jeanne D
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Feb 4, 1:37?pm, "W Letendre" <wjlse...@worldnet.att.net > wrote:
> Gotta admit, I think I'd be too chicken to try a stop like that, with
> braking edge forward, primed to trip over.... while pointing an MPG
> camera at my feet!

That's because it's not a MPG camera, it's MOV camera! And I'm half
Italian, which explains quite a bit.

04 Feb 2007 07:34:44
Jeanne D
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Feb 3, 7:39=EF=BF=BDpm, Steve <s...@deletethissjwilliams.com > wrote:
> Both heron pictures and the clips fine here. =A0I enjoyed them! =A0 You
> are both making me very jealous here, I want to do this :-)

As you can see by the vids the ice has a nice look to it. But I was
reading about another skater's drowning in Northern California, posted
on skatingforums. This skater fell through the ice and drowned, a very
accomplished skater, would even skate on stilts. He was out skating on
a 40 degree day and encountered a thin patch of ice, was alone, fell
through and drowned.

But in reading the posts about his death, it's very clear that people
fear skating outdoors. Skating started outdoors. Lots of people skate
outdoors and are not ignorant about safety. One person wrote about
never being on ice that is cracking. I can tell you that ice that does
NOT crack is bad, it means the ice is not thick enough to develop
cracks. Safe ice cracks and moves constantly, I've put my ear to the
ice and have heard a battle zone underneath. Lake front people say
that at night the cracking/gunshot sounds are amazing.

Learning about ice skating outdoors and being safe is right along the
lines of taking a boating course and learning how to navigate and
knowing your waters. The people who downgrade skating outdoors are the
ones who are very ignorant on the issue and it is annoying for those
of us who's grandparents were outdoors skaters and generations before
that.

With that said, I feel very bad for the fellow who drowned as he was
an avid skater. That's really sad.

04 Feb 2007 12:12:10
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

How does your sharpening hold up to pond skating? People are skating on
the cove right by my house, but I haven't done it myself this year, mostly
to save my blades. I did skate out there back in 2000 and absolutely loved
it, but I was in my mom's 1960s-era skates and had no worries about them.
What I really need to do is get some pond skates. (My mom's skates bit the
dust a long time ago. And I've loaned the pair I had after that to a
friend.)

Johanna

04 Feb 2007 09:20:47
Jeanne D
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Feb 4, 5:12?pm, joha...@herworkplace.com wrote:
> How does your sharpening hold up to pond skating?

It holds up very well but I do have a trick. I take a small stool with
me to the pond and walk out to where the clean ice is. Then I put my
skates on, (my custom Klingbeils). The ice close to shore can be
gritty.

I've had instructors tell me that outdoor skating will ruin my blade,
it does not. I doubt they have ever skated on outdoor ponds, it's the
Frog Pond in Boston that can ruin the blades because skaters will
track dirt onto the ice everywhere.

> People are skating on the cove right by my house,

The coves are the best place to skate, protected from the wind and
sometimes very shallow.

05 Feb 2007 11:42:57
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

Thanks, Jeanne. I guess another option might be to walk in my guards
(very, very carefully) til I got to clear ice.

We had a little snow the other night, though, and I don't think it did the
ice any favors.

Johanna

In article <1170609647.402438.42570@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com >, "Jeanne
D" <jeannedecarolis@netzero.com > wrote:

> On Feb 4, 5:12?pm, joha...@herworkplace.com wrote:
> > How does your sharpening hold up to pond skating?
>
> It holds up very well but I do have a trick. I take a small stool with
> me to the pond and walk out to where the clean ice is. Then I put my
> skates on, (my custom Klingbeils). The ice close to shore can be
> gritty.

05 Feb 2007 16:47:14
W Letendre
Re: Black Ice & Moonlight

On Feb 5, 11:42 am, joha...@notmyaddress.com wrote:
> Thanks, Jeanne. I guess another option might be to walk in my guards
> (very, very carefully) til I got to clear ice.
>
> We had a little snow the other night, though, and I don't think it did the
> ice any favors.
>
> Johanna

No, it did not. Left the ice at our pond all "pebbly" and rough. But,
went skating on the pond anyhow, on Sunday afternoon. Since it was
daylight, decided to chance skating on figure blades. Not too bad; no
toe pick trips, and much better edging than I'd been able to do with
hockey blades. Ice was pretty hard, what with the cold weather we've
had, and, I think, the deeper hollow that I use on figure skate blades
cut a bit deeper into the ice. Was nice to be able to do decent
turns....

Did do Jeanne's trick of taking a stool with me, so as to be able to
change into skates well away from shoreline. Seemed to do the trick;
back on rink ice today, and skates don't seem to have taken any harm.

Was windy out on the pond, though. The stool that I took with me was a
folding camp model, rip stop nylon seat and back over an aluminum
tubing frame. Caught the wind very nicely, and took off on a fast
broad reach across the ice. Had to race a bit to catch it! Good
exercise, I guess....

W Letendre