26 Jan 2005 15:23:29
Isiafs5
Back Massage Chair

I recently learned something curious and interesting that may help others with
back problems.

A few years ago, I had some major back issues that were aggravated by skating.
It was so bad that once, at a morning skate, just lifting my free leg well up
on a back spin tweaked my back so much that I had to leave work a few hours
later.

I tried the new massage seats with the little balls that spin around. It made
my back feel decades younger. Since then I use the massage before and after
every skate.

However, I started getting really bad oblique pains. Since I had just started
lots of work on my weak side bracket-3-bracket and the quick twist rockers, I
assumed that my skating was causing the damage.

Recently I met an ol'friend with serious back problems from an auto accident.
He had lots of PT etc. but the pain lingered. Once I showed him the chair
cushion, he immediately bought one for himself.

Now this was a big surprise. Abour a week later I asked him how it was going.
He said great except that after a few days he woke up with such side pain that
he thought he had broken a rib. He has never skated to my knowledge.

So there it is. Apparently the chair does a good job on some of your back
muscles, but it creates a muscle imbalance that will cause oblique tweak
issues.

I still use the cushion and still experiment with ways to solve the oblique
problem.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

26 Jan 2005 17:57:05
johns
Re: Back Massage Chair

My wife has pretty much the same problem. She goes
to PT couple times a week when it is bad. On the other
days, she has shown me what they do, and I become
her massage therapist. She has all the gizmos too.
Massage cushion, portable seat cushion ... special shoes.
Makes me ill as a snake that the docs don't see her
problem as worth their time. Gotta keep up with those
boat payments.

johns

03 Feb 2005 20:48:09
Phil Earnhardt
Re: Back Massage Chair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:57:05 -0800, "johns"
<johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com > wrote:

>My wife has pretty much the same problem. She goes
>to PT couple times a week when it is bad. On the other
>days, she has shown me what they do, and I become
>her massage therapist. She has all the gizmos too.
>Massage cushion, portable seat cushion ... special shoes.

Has she tried either of the types of myofascial release ball sets?

The Fitball body therapy balls are at www.fitball.com ; you then
select "Fitball Body Therapy" from the menu on the left.

The Yamuna balls are at www.yamunabodyrolling.com ; their store lists
their red, yellow, and green balls.

These balls offer a deep self-massage -- most excellent stuff. If you
have a tight spot, you can just stay there (or perhaps nearby) for as
long as you like.

Yamuna has a book describing her stuff: "The Ultimate Body Rolling
Workout". Even better is the DVD done with the body therapy balls and
available on the fitball.com site.

>johns

--phil