30 Dec 2004 10:01:47
Trudi Marrapodi
Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

Well, this one should strike fear into Fiona's heart...it certainly did mine.

On the Brian Boitano show appearing on NBC on New Year's Day, one of the
singers will be...Brian Boitano.

According to him, it's a tribute to old boozy Rat-Pack Vegas, and he sings
a few bars of "I've Got the World On a String" at the opening.

Be afraid, Fiona...be very afraid. You may be wishing for Michael Bolton
back. :-)
--
Trudi
in the home of the official Crayola "Rock and Roll Raspberry" state

30 Dec 2004 21:05:05
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

Trudi Marrapodi <trudee@clarityconnect.competent > wrote:
: Well, this one should strike fear into Fiona's heart...it certainly did mine.

: On the Brian Boitano show appearing on NBC on New Year's Day, one of the
: singers will be...Brian Boitano.

: According to him, it's a tribute to old boozy Rat-Pack Vegas, and he sings
: a few bars of "I've Got the World On a String" at the opening.

: Be afraid, Fiona...be very afraid. You may be wishing for Michael Bolton
: back. :-)
: --
Au contraire. At least Brian recognizes his limitations and is only
singing a little bit of the song, as opposed to shrieking his way through
something he is clearly not able to handle.

Speaking of Mr. Bolton, I discovered a delightful CD at the used record
story yesterday called "Michael Bolotin - The Early Years", containing
bootleg recordings of Bolton's first recordings back when he was using his
original name. I almost bought it solely for the hilarious cover picture
of him with an 80s hair-metal style poofed-out mullet.

Fiona

30 Dec 2004 23:00:09
Barbara Hoffman

Fiona wrote:
> Au contraire. At least Brian recognizes his limitations and is only
> singing a little bit of the song, as opposed to shrieking his way through
> something he is clearly not able to handle.

I have no idea what Boitano's singing may be like, but I've read that he's
taken singing lessons and does musical numbers in a San Francisco charity
show every year. One lesson may be enough to put him ahead of Bolton.

Barbara
--
"Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form
a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain

30 Dec 2004 19:07:15
Chelsea Christenson

Barbara Hoffman wrote:

> I have no idea what Boitano's singing may be like, but I've read that he's
> taken singing lessons and does musical numbers in a San Francisco charity
> show every year. One lesson may be enough to put him ahead of Bolton.

Eh. Michael Bolton is capable of singing well. There was one song, a
rather lilting number later in his career, that I actually liked. His
main problem is a common one -- an excess of histrionics which leads him
to abandon many basic principles of singing (not to mention good sense).

As far as Boitano goes, anyone who can carry a tune is capable of
singing in a pleasing fashion.

31 Dec 2004 01:35:51
ant
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

To be fair Fiona - if you found any of his CDs up to the late 90s you'd
still find him with an 80s poofed out mullet!!!!

Ant

31 Dec 2004 14:20:13
Clinton Gandy
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

So Brian says this morning Dianna Degarmo is going to sing while Carly
Patterson does a routine. lol

01 Jan 2005 20:52:31
Terry Hall

"Fiona McQuarrie" <mcquarra@sfu.ca > wrote in message

> At least Brian recognizes his limitations and is only
> singing a little bit of the song, as opposed to shrieking his way through
> something he is clearly not able to handle.

Good to hear that. As Clint Eastwood said in "Magnum Force", "a good man
always recognizes his limitations".

Terry Hall
Head of Special Duties Section
Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
http://www.geocities.com/portice

01 Jan 2005 19:32:36
Trudi Marrapodi
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

Well, I've seen the show and here's my verdict...

A few bars? My eye. Knows his limitations? Also my eye. He sang the whole
damn song. And to my mind, he made William Hung sound like Sinatra.

But seriously, folks. I did see two things Boitano has in common with Ol'
Blue Eyes. One, he was wearing a hat. Two, he's Italian American.
Resemblance pretty much ends there, though.

They could have nicely cut out this part, thanks to the runover of the
Gator Bowl chopping more than a half hour off this thing, but nooo.
Instead, Leonova & Khvalko probably got the chack.

I actually liked Elvis's first number. It was almost as if he caught a
touch of Orser fever, with just enough stopping and prancing about in
place to reminds you that, yeah, this IS Elvis after all. His second
number, of course, was the usual Elvis. Point much, skate much on two
feet, smile much, blow kisses much, hydroblade much, kiss a woman in the
audience much, and occasionally punctuate it with a jump, leap or a really
good spin to remind people why you are wearing skates.

Loved Yuka Sato's solo, "Fool to Want You," in part because I gotta love
any song in which an oboe is used to punctuate a feeling of sensual
longing, but also because, damn, the woman can and does still SKATE. Even
John Zimmerman pretending to be a solo skater was entertaining to watch.

The finale...gee, when have we seen a bunch of skaters skating to "A
Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action" before, hmm?...and the
sight of Boitano as "Red Elvis" was a bit scary.

Oh well. It's a lot easier to watch if you don't have a hangover. I would
have advised against it for anyone who had one.
--
Trudi
in the home of the official Crayola "Rock and Roll Raspberry" state

01 Jan 2005 20:32:03
Shillelagh

"Trudi Marrapodi" <trudee@clarityconnect.competent > wrote in message
> Well, I've seen the show and here's my verdict...
>
> They could have nicely cut out this part, thanks to the runover of the
> Gator Bowl chopping more than a half hour off this thing, but nooo.
> Instead, Leonova & Khvalko probably got the chack.

I tuned it in - saw football and immediately changed channels. Further into
the channel changing I found the GPF and watched it instead. However, I
know I would have enjoyed Leonova & Khvalko.

Shelagh

02 Jan 2005 14:31:59
TT

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:32:36 +0100, Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

> Well, I've seen the show and here's my verdict...
> <SNIP>
> A few bars? My eye. Knows his limitations? Also my eye. He sang the whole
> damn song.
It was sorta sweet...and could have been waaaay worse. Having seen him do
some practice sessions when he's in town, and the concentrated and
incredible focus that he always has on the ice in those sessions, I'd bet
he worked long and hard on the vocals.

> <SNIP>
> I actually liked Elvis's first number.
> <SNIP>

ITA. I actually think Elvis stole the show. Yes, there were the usual
elements you mentioned...but he was all about entertaining the audience,
and giving them what they want. They seemed to love it.

Yuka = Heaven on skates. {{sigh}}

I don't believe we saw a 'tano Lutz in either of BB's programs, or did I
miss it?
In the first piece, he did his spread eagle approach, but then switched
over his edge at the last second (RFI/LBI mohawk, RBO for you technical
fans) and stepped up into a fine Dbl Axel.

I don't remember if there was one in the second program, so I was
thinking -
perhaps his knee is not up to it?
Rink too small? (it didn't seem so, but....)

03 Jan 2005 18:11:43
Hattie54
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

Anything is better than having to listen to Nancy Kerrigan !!!!!

03 Jan 2005 18:08:08
Re: Yet another frightening singer to appear on an NBC skating show

Ack! Really? He sang? I love Brian, but it's bad enough having to
deal with the kids in the school I work at try to blare out songs day
after day--I don't know if I would've been up to it.

--Vienna