22 Nov 2005 17:40:05
bbarlou@earthlink.net
Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

"Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski can add the Hall of Fame to her
list of accomplishments. Lipinski was elected Monday to the U.S. Figure
Skating Hall of Fame. She'll be inducted in January, during the national
championships in St. Louis. Lipinski was the youngest woman to win the
U.S., world and Olympic titles. Those achievements likely will stand
because figure skating has raised its age limit to 15 to compete in the
Olympics or senior championships."

22 Nov 2005 14:08:42
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

bbarlou@earthlink.net wrote:
> "Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski can add the Hall of Fame to her
> list of accomplishments. Lipinski was elected Monday to the U.S. Figure
> Skating Hall of Fame. She'll be inducted in January, during the national
> championships in St. Louis. Lipinski was the youngest woman to win the
> U.S., world and Olympic titles. Those achievements likely will stand
> because figure skating has raised its age limit to 15 to compete in the
> Olympics or senior championships."

Congratulations to Ms. Lipinski. Well-deserved.

(P.S. If you're going to quote an AP dispatch, at least attribute -
they kind of take a dim view of copyright infringement.)

23 Nov 2005 02:21:57
bbarlou@earthlink.net

MrBuddwing@aol.com wrote:
> bbarlou@earthlink.net wrote:
>
>>"Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski can add the Hall of Fame to her
>>list of accomplishments. Lipinski was elected Monday to the U.S. Figure
>>Skating Hall of Fame. She'll be inducted in January, during the national
>>championships in St. Louis. Lipinski was the youngest woman to win the
>>U.S., world and Olympic titles. Those achievements likely will stand
>>because figure skating has raised its age limit to 15 to compete in the
>>Olympics or senior championships."
>

> Congratulations to Ms. Lipinski. Well-deserved.
>
> (P.S. If you're going to quote an AP dispatch, at least attribute -
> they kind of take a dim view of copyright infringement.)

Right you are--I accidentally pressed "send," then tried to recapture
the source and it had disappeared.

23 Nov 2005 18:12:31
Charles Newman

<MrBuddwing@aol.com > wrote in message

> bbarlou@earthlink.net wrote:
>> "Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski can add the Hall of Fame to her
>> list of accomplishments. Lipinski was elected Monday to the U.S. Figure
>> Skating Hall of Fame. She'll be inducted in January, during the national
>> championships in St. Louis. Lipinski was the youngest woman to win the
>> U.S., world and Olympic titles. Those achievements likely will stand
>> because figure skating has raised its age limit to 15 to compete in the
>> Olympics or senior championships."
>

> Congratulations to Ms. Lipinski. Well-deserved.
>
> (P.S. If you're going to quote an AP dispatch, at least attribute -
> they kind of take a dim view of copyright infringement.)

Looks like bbarblou better get Evidence Eliminator and run it
on her computer, ASAP. That way, if her computer is seized,
any evidence on there will be unrecoverable.

28 Nov 2005 16:05:42
Laura M
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.

28 Nov 2005 23:51:18
Shillelagh

"Laura M" <ldbkatwoman@aol.com > wrote in message
> Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.

I was never a huge fan, but I don't know that I'd be that harsh. Did she
ever win the U.S. Nats? Anyhow, she climbed quite high as a U.S. elite
skater, and managed to win an Olympic Gold medal. I don't think she ever
won a World's though, did she? She certainly accomplished more than the
average person in the sport and for that is likely worthy of the Hall of
Fame.

Sarah Hughes never won Nats or Worlds either did she? Her claim to fame is
similar to Tara's - an Olympic Gold medal, then get out of the sport quickly
and make money touring before you can't do it anymore. (shrug)

Shelagh

29 Nov 2005 14:22:10
Ronald

Shillelagh wrote:
> "Laura M" <ldbkatwoman@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.
>
> I was never a huge fan, but I don't know that I'd be that harsh. Did she
> ever win the U.S. Nats? Anyhow, she climbed quite high as a U.S. elite
> skater, and managed to win an Olympic Gold medal. I don't think she ever
> won a World's though, did she? She certainly accomplished more than the
> average person in the sport and for that is likely worthy of the Hall of
> Fame.

Tara won both U.S. Nationals and Worlds in 1997. I wasn't a big fan of
her skating either, but she was one heck of a competitor in her brief
time as an elite eligible skater, and her accomplishments are Hall of
Fame worthy, IMO.

Ronald

30 Nov 2005 01:12:25
Little T

On 28 Nov 2005 16:05:42 -0800, "Laura M" <ldbkatwoman@aol.com > wrote:

>Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.

You aren't the only one. *yawn*

Toni

29 Nov 2005 17:57:40
Laura M

Little T wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2005 16:05:42 -0800, "Laura M" <ldbkatwoman@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.
> >

> You aren't the only one. *yawn*
>
> Toni

I'm glad. I never thought she had the artistry, and to me, that's what
makes a really good skater. Paul Wylie comes to mind. He was such an
awesome stylist! The other skater that comes to mind is Sasha Cohen.
Not that I think Sasha should be in the Hall of Fame, but she
could....if she starts stringing some programs together without falling.

29 Nov 2005 19:44:58
John Rethorst
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

In article <1133315860.888628.267140@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
"Laura M" <ldbkatwoman@aol.com > wrote:

> > >Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.

> I'm glad. I never thought she had the artistry, and to me, that's what
> makes a really good skater.

Tara was never long on artistry, but she wasn't "unartistic" like some of the
technicians. What Tara had IMO was an ohmygod level of precision that had an
artistic flavor.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com

30 Nov 2005 08:51:43
Mimi

"John Rethorst" <nobody@nowhere.net > wrote in message

>> I'm glad. I never thought she had the artistry, and to me, that's what
>> makes a really good skater.
>
> Tara was never long on artistry, but she wasn't "unartistic" like some of
> the
> technicians. What Tara had IMO was an ohmygod level of precision that had
> an
> artistic flavor.

I don't know about Tara. The skater this phrase describes--in my mind--is
Todd Eldredge. When he first started, I thought he was boring. But as he
refined his technique, he became an elegant pure skater.

Marianne

30 Nov 2005 17:35:41
barbara

Mimi wrote:
> "John Rethorst" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>>I'm glad. I never thought she had the artistry, and to me, that's what
>>>makes a really good skater.
>>
>>Tara was never long on artistry, but she wasn't "unartistic" like some of
>>the
>>technicians. What Tara had IMO was an ohmygod level of precision that had
>>an
>>artistic flavor.
>

> I don't know about Tara. The skater this phrase describes--in my mind--is
> Todd Eldredge. When he first started, I thought he was boring. But as he
> refined his technique, he became an elegant pure skater.
>
> Marianne

Todd Eldredge is/was the most boring skater ever. And not the best
sport, either--when he fell during a performance (I'm not sure where, I
think it was World's) he carried on like a baby. The only award, imo,
Todd could be eligible for is "skater most likely to put the audience to
sleep."

30 Nov 2005 10:16:00
Laura M
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

He had strange posture which always distracted from his line. I did
love his heart, though. I don't remember him carrying on like a baby,
though, but that doesn't mean I think he didn't. I was always pulling
for him.

30 Nov 2005 20:32:18
Tzigaane

barbara wrote:
> Mimi wrote:
>
>> "John Rethorst" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Tara was never long on artistry, but she wasn't "unartistic" like
>>> some of the
>>> technicians. What Tara had IMO was an ohmygod level of precision that
>>> had an
>>> artistic flavor.
>>

>> I don't know about Tara. The skater this phrase describes--in my
>> mind--is Todd Eldredge. When he first started, I thought he was
>> boring. But as he refined his technique, he became an elegant pure
>> skater.
>>
>> Marianne
>>
> Todd Eldredge is/was the most boring skater ever. And not the best
> sport, either--when he fell during a performance (I'm not sure where, I
> think it was World's) he carried on like a baby. The only award, imo,
> Todd could be eligible for is "skater most likely to put the audience to
> sleep."

Hmmm. I'm not sure what it is you like about skating, but it must not
be the skating.
As for a "level of precision that has an artistic flavor", to me that
would be Brian Boitano.

tzigaane

30 Nov 2005 14:51:09
Laura M
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

I love Brian too. My favorite was Paul Wylie. The strange posture I
refer to is also present in Timothy Goebel. The rounded shoulders with
the head tilted upward was so obvious to me. Didn't you notice that?
Todd also did the same thing, although it wasn't quite as pronounced as
Goebel's.

02 Dec 2005 13:04:33
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

You're not alone. I always found her to be a jumping machine whose
artistry was minimal.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Laura M wrote:

> Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think she's Hall of Fame worthy.

Marshall Adesman
"Baseball Spoken Here"
Duke University
email: madesman@acpub.duke.edu

09 Dec 2005 12:41:35
aldrine
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

Tara Lipinski is a bitch who bickered for so long at the USFSA and
recently said she's turned her back on the skating world and that she's
doing a tell-all book dissing all the skaters she was with during her
SOI tour. She has always behaved like a spiled brat, whining all the
time about how badly she was treated during her skating days, and
certainly does NOT deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Besides, has she done ANYTHING extraordinary outside winning that OGM?
Whatever happened to her non-existent acting career?

09 Dec 2005 12:43:24
aldrine
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

Tara Lipinski is a bitch who bickered for so long at the USFSA and
recently said she's turned her back on the skating world and that she's

doing a tell-all book dissing all the skaters she was with during her
SOI tour. She has always behaved like a spoiled brat, whining all the
time about how badly she was treated during her skating days, and
certainly does NOT deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Besides, has she done ANYTHING extraordinary outside winning that OGM?
Whatever happened to her non-existent acting career?

10 Dec 2005 00:55:03
Phyllis Steen

"aldrine" <aldrinhu@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> Besides, has she done ANYTHING extraordinary outside winning that OGM?

Well, she won all of the major titles, plus she was youngest everything. I
guess that's enough.

> Whatever happened to her non-existent acting career?

I haven't seen her in anything so I guess it's still non-existent. I heard
she's planning to write a tell-all book about how bad she was treated when
she was skating.

--
This gum tastes like rubber!
--

10 Dec 2005 03:47:11
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

: "aldrine" <aldrinhu@hotmail.com > wrote in message
: news:1134160895.908386.258130@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

: > Besides, has she done ANYTHING extraordinary outside winning that OGM?

I guess winning the World Championships doesn't count.

Fiona

10 Dec 2005 00:47:37
Re: Tara Lipinski inducted into Skating Hall of Fame

I agree. She won one Nats, one Worlds, and one Olys. And so have over
a dozen skaters. What's so special about that that she gets to be in a
"hall of fame"? She breezed through the season and disappeared. From
the time she won Nats close to a decade ago, until today, it's been one
complaint after another from her (how pathetic!), in the process saying
she was totally done with skating. Talk about "giving back to the
skating community"! She's a joke.