14 Dec 2004 03:02:17
Zippygal9428
Slutskaya's jumps

Has anyone noticed that Slutskaya's jump landings are pretty awful?

Her landing edge is very short and she just flops her free leg foot/toe down
quickly immediately after the landing to turn around (similar to what Surya
Bonaly used to do). Her free leg also flies way UP when she lands. Not sound
technique and it certainly does not look good.

Susie Wynn commented on her poor landings (thank goodness) at the GP
competition in Russia but so many commentators ignore it.

She's a great skater but she really needs to work on her landing positions and
stil needs to point her toes!! Or is it just me? (!!)

Befuddled.

14 Dec 2004 03:30:00
MyRomanHoliday
Re: Slutskaya's jumps

>Subject: Slutskaya's jumps
>From: zippygal9428@aol.com (Zippygal9428)
>Date: 12/13/2004 10:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
>

>Has anyone noticed that Slutskaya's jump landings are pretty awful?
>
>Her landing edge is very short and she just flops her free leg foot/toe down
>quickly immediately after the landing to turn around (similar to what Surya
>Bonaly used to do). Her free leg also flies way UP when she lands. Not
>sound
>technique and it certainly does not look good.
>
>Susie Wynn commented on her poor landings (thank goodness) at the GP
>competition in Russia but so many commentators ignore it.
>
>She's a great skater but she really needs to work on her landing positions
>and
>stil needs to point her toes!! Or is it just me? (!!)
>
>Befuddled.

Slutskaya is coming off a year-long lay off and a recent knee injury. She's far
from her top form. There are a lot of things (including jump landings) she
needs to work on.

13 Dec 2004 22:37:23
Rex
Re: Slutskaya's jumps

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 03:30:00 +0000, MyRomanHoliday wrote:

>>Subject: Slutskaya's jumps
>>From: zippygal9428@aol.com (Zippygal9428)
>>Date: 12/13/2004 10:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
>>

>>Has anyone noticed that Slutskaya's jump landings are pretty awful?
>>
>>Her landing edge is very short and she just flops her free leg foot/toe down
>>quickly immediately after the landing to turn around (similar to what Surya
>>Bonaly used to do). Her free leg also flies way UP when she lands. Not
>>sound
>>technique and it certainly does not look good.
>>
>>Susie Wynn commented on her poor landings (thank goodness) at the GP
>>competition in Russia but so many commentators ignore it.
>>
>>She's a great skater but she really needs to work on her landing positions
>>and
>>stil needs to point her toes!! Or is it just me? (!!)
>>
>>Befuddled.
>>
> Slutskaya is coming off a year-long lay off and a recent knee injury. She's far
> from her top form. There are a lot of things (including jump landings) she
> needs to work on.

I am so happy to see her skate again, I don't care what the jumps look
like - the woman had a heart condition for Pete's sake! She thought she'd
have to quit skating forever!! And she won, so apparently the jumps were
not as bad as some say they were.

14 Dec 2004 09:32:49
Bob Gardner
Re: Slutskaya's jumps

I wish we could transplant her attitude toward life into the whole world's
population. What a role model!

Bob Gardner

"Zippygal9428" <zippygal9428@aol.com > wrote in message

> Has anyone noticed that Slutskaya's jump landings are pretty awful?
>
> Her landing edge is very short and she just flops her free leg foot/toe
> down
> quickly immediately after the landing to turn around (similar to what
> Surya
> Bonaly used to do). Her free leg also flies way UP when she lands. Not
> sound
> technique and it certainly does not look good.
>
> Susie Wynn commented on her poor landings (thank goodness) at the GP
> competition in Russia but so many commentators ignore it.
>
> She's a great skater but she really needs to work on her landing positions
> and
> stil needs to point her toes!! Or is it just me? (!!)
>
> Befuddled.

15 Dec 2004 13:57:06
Chelsea Christenson
Re: Slutskaya's jumps

Rex wrote:

> I am so happy to see her skate again, I don't care what the jumps look
> like

I'll be delighted to see her perform, but I do care what the jumps look
like. I don't want her to be the next Oksana Baiul, constantly
struggling to regain a past level of performance.

23 Dec 2004 00:10:24
Trudi Marrapodi
Re: Slutskaya's jumps

In article <20041213220217.21692.00001600@mb-m14.aol.com >,
zippygal9428@aol.com (Zippygal9428) wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that Slutskaya's jump landings are pretty awful?

Yeah...but they're high and powerful jumps.

> Her landing edge is very short and she just flops her free leg foot/toe down
> quickly immediately after the landing to turn around (similar to what Surya
> Bonaly used to do). Her free leg also flies way UP when she lands. Not sound
> technique and it certainly does not look good.

No, but reread the above.

> Susie Wynn commented on her poor landings (thank goodness) at the GP
> competition in Russia but so many commentators ignore it.

So do the judges.

> She's a great skater but she really needs to work on her landing positions and
> stil needs to point her toes!! Or is it just me? (!!)
>
> Befuddled.

It's not just you. But judges don't seem to care, as long as she skates
powerfully and can grab her foot a lot...landings and edges do not matter!
--
Trudi
in the home of the official Crayola "Rock and Roll Raspberry" state