15 Jun 2004 22:10:48
Trudi Marrapodi
OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

I know I'm behind, but tonight for the first time I saw the skating scene
in "The Bishop's Wife"--the original, of course--on Turner Classic Movies
(they're having a Cary Grant film festival).

I never realized before how much skating is really in it. Apparently, it's
a rather crucial point in the plot that Cary, as the angel, proves to the
character played by Loretta Young that he really is an unusual being (and
she is unusual when she's guided by him) by taking her pond-skating and
not only proving that he's a pretty good skater, but making her one when
she's partnered with him.

I now want to know who the skating doubles were in this movie--who was out
there doing those waltz jumps and spins for Cary? Who was doing the
face-to-face pair spreadeagle, the Kilian and the Waltz for him and
Loretta? I'd even like to know who skated for James Gleason, who played
Sylvester the cab driver. There's a good stretch of time in which he has
to play the comical "I can't skate worth a darn and am tripping over my
own feet" role, and do it well--but by the end, he too becomes a pretty
good skater (because he's with an ANGEL, of course). I suspect he was
doubled by one of the classic ice-show comics of the day (Freddie
Trenkler? Frick or Frack?).

So...anyone know who the skating doubles were for this movie? Or have a
clue as to who they might have been? Lord knows the credits for this movie
were long (they even mention who the choir was), but the skaters never got
credit.
--
Trudi

"Cleveland rocks."--Ian Hunter


16 Jun 2004 03:00:54
johns
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

All those old movies were like that .. loaded with hidden
talent / doubles, and most of those people were movie
doubles and nothing else. I don't think any of them
were ever mentioned in the credits.

johns




16 Jun 2004 12:31:37
Ellyn Kestnbaum
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

I believe Eugene Turner was the skating double for Grant here. Not
sure about the other characters.


16 Jun 2004 13:14:13
Doria
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message news:<trudee-1506042210490001@cci-209150248003.clarityconnect.net >...
>
> So...anyone know who the skating doubles were for this movie? Or have a
> clue as to who they might have been? Lord knows the credits for this movie
> were long (they even mention who the choir was), but the skaters never got
> credit.

-----------------------

No doubles for Cary Grant. I had the opportunity to ask him this
because we shared the same chiropractor years ago and were in the same
waiting room on a couple of occasions, talking about the Dodgers (he
was a big, big Dodger fan and had season tickets) and he told me he
was a gymnast when he was young, and did all his own skating in most
every scene in the Bishop's Wife (one of my favorits Grant movies).
He could also dance really well and roller skate. He also could do
prat falls because of his gymnastics background, like he did in
"Bringing in Baby" by K. Hepburn. He was a very nice old man when I
met him and I got his autograph too on one occasion. I don't know if
Loretta Young had a skate double or not in that movie. Occasionally
Grant and his wife Barbara would take Dr. Hexburg, the chiropractor we
shared, to the Dodger games, and I'd see them together there
sometimes.



Doria


16 Jun 2004 19:17:23
Trudi Marrapodi
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

In article <8d469b87.0406161214.359d9844@posting.google.com >,
Bravesfan451@hotmail.com (Doria) wrote:

> trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message
news:<trudee-1506042210490001@cci-209150248003.clarityconnect.net >...
> >
> > So...anyone know who the skating doubles were for this movie? Or have a
> > clue as to who they might have been? Lord knows the credits for this movie
> > were long (they even mention who the choir was), but the skaters never got
> > credit.
>
> -----------------------
>
> No doubles for Cary Grant. I had the opportunity to ask him this
> because we shared the same chiropractor years ago and were in the same
> waiting room on a couple of occasions, talking about the Dodgers (he
> was a big, big Dodger fan and had season tickets) and he told me he
> was a gymnast when he was young, and did all his own skating in most
> every scene in the Bishop's Wife (one of my favorits Grant movies).

Are you serious?? Cary Grant could do waltz jumps? What about Loretta
Young? Did he teach her to ice dance, or did she dance with a double, or
was that Cary and someone else?

> He could also dance really well and roller skate. He also could do
> prat falls because of his gymnastics background, like he did in
> "Bringing in Baby" by K. Hepburn. He was a very nice old man when I
> met him and I got his autograph too on one occasion. I don't know if
> Loretta Young had a skate double or not in that movie. Occasionally
> Grant and his wife Barbara would take Dr. Hexburg, the chiropractor we
> shared, to the Dodger games, and I'd see them together there
> sometimes.

Jeez, Doria. You had the same chiropractor as Cary Grant, and here was
Babs thinking SHE was a big deal because she has shopped in the same place
as Maria Shriver!
--
Trudi

"Cleveland rocks."--Ian Hunter


16 Jun 2004 19:30:03
Tina Kramer
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?


"Doria" <Bravesfan451@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:8d469b87.0406161214.359d9844@posting.google.com...
> trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message
news:<trudee-1506042210490001@cci-209150248003.clarityconnect.net >...
> >
> > So...anyone know who the skating doubles were for this movie? Or have a
> > clue as to who they might have been? Lord knows the credits for this
movie
> > were long (they even mention who the choir was), but the skaters never
got
> > credit.
>
> -----------------------
>
> No doubles for Cary Grant. I had the opportunity to ask him this
> because we shared the same chiropractor years ago and were in the same
> waiting room on a couple of occasions, talking about the Dodgers (he
> was a big, big Dodger fan and had season tickets) and he told me he
> was a gymnast when he was young, and did all his own skating in most
> every scene in the Bishop's Wife (one of my favorits Grant movies).
> He could also dance really well and roller skate. He also could do
> prat falls because of his gymnastics background, like he did in
> "Bringing in Baby" by K. Hepburn. He was a very nice old man when I
> met him and I got his autograph too on one occasion. I don't know if
> Loretta Young had a skate double or not in that movie. Occasionally
> Grant and his wife Barbara would take Dr. Hexburg, the chiropractor we
> shared, to the Dodger games, and I'd see them together there
> sometimes.
>
>
>
> Doria

I remember reading when I was younger that he had been an acrobat -- which I
guess is similar to gymnast -- when he started out in show business so I
didn't think it would be completely out of the question for him to have done
his own skating.

But nice to see someone who can confirm it.

Tina







-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


17 Jun 2004 12:21:10
Doria
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message news:<trudee-1606041917240001@cci-209150248024.clarityconnect.net >...
> In article <8d469b87.0406161214.359d9844@posting.google.com>,
> Bravesfan451@hotmail.com (Doria) wrote:
>
> > trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message
> news:<trudee-1506042210490001@cci-209150248003.clarityconnect.net>...
> > >
> > >
> >
> > No doubles for Cary Grant. I had the opportunity to ask him this
> > because we shared the same chiropractor years ago and were in the same
> > waiting room on a couple of occasions, talking about the Dodgers (he
> > was a big, big Dodger fan and had season tickets) and he told me he
> > was a gymnast when he was young, and did all his own skating in most
> > every scene in the Bishop's Wife (one of my favorits Grant movies).
>
> Are you serious?? Cary Grant could do waltz jumps? What about Loretta
> Young? Did he teach her to ice dance, or did she dance with a double, or
> was that Cary and someone else?
>
------------------------

I honestly don't know about Loretta Young. Although, Grant did say
he did "most" of the skating scenes, probably had someone else for a
couple of them. But he said he had skated quite frequently when he
was younger and I think, (and I could be wrong about this because I
haven't thought about this in years and my memory on it has faded a
bit) he said that the skating scene was an added scene (not in the
first version of the script but added later on) because the parties
wanted to do a scene on skates. Pretty funny, huh? This would
suggest that Loretta Young had some skating ability too and is wasn't
all a double for her either, or that other guy in the scene with them
(cab driver). This was a conversation we had in between talking about
the Dodgers, his favorite topic...and mine since I am a big baseball
fan too.

Some of the old time actors from the 30s could do lots of other
stuff besides act...sing, dance, roller skate, figure skate,
gymnastics, etc., some came from the world of athletics...Esther
Williams for example. Grant had been a circus performer when he was
young...hence the gynmastics stuff he could do, like back and front
flips.

Doria


17 Jun 2004 21:08:22
Poodle Fan
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C4548D.EB1BB500
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Yes,
And he also Roller Skated in "Monkey Business" with Marilyn Monroe. =
He took one heck of a fall in that movie! If they didn't use a double, =
then OUCH... By the way, the skates that Marilyn Monroe used were =
borrowed from my skating coach, who taught at the old Rollerdrome in =
Culver City, CA.
------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C4548D.EB1BB500
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >
<HTML ><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252" >
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR >
<STYLE ></STYLE>
</HEAD ><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">
<BODY >
<DIV ><STRONG>Yes,</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV ><STRONG>     And he also Roller Skated in =
"Monkey=20
Business" with Marilyn Monroe.  He took one heck of a fall in that=20
movie!  If they didn't use a double, then OUCH...  By the way, =
the=20
skates that Marilyn Monroe used were borrowed from my skating coach, who =
taught=20
at the old Rollerdrome in Culver City, CA.   =20
</STRONG ></DIV></BODY></HTML></FONT>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C4548D.EB1BB500--



29 Jun 2004 10:30:00
Ellyn Kestnbaum
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

To specify...

A little over a year ago, Eugene Turner (1940 and 41 US champ) had a
website at http://www.eturnerbooks.comto promote a novel he had
written. IIRC, his bio there stated that he had done the skating for
Grant in this movie. That website now longer seems to exist, so I
can't verify my memory.

The closest I can find now is this

http://www.lafsc.org/history.htm

It doesn't specify which movie but does say he doubled for Cary Grant.


29 Jun 2004 20:26:42
John Lincoln
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?



Ellyn Kestnbaum wrote:

>To specify...
>
>A little over a year ago, Eugene Turner (1940 and 41 US champ) had a
>website at http://www.eturnerbooks.comto promote a novel he had
>written. IIRC, his bio there stated that he had done the skating for
>Grant in this movie. That website now longer seems to exist, so I
>can't verify my memory.
>
>The closest I can find now is this
>
>http://www.lafsc.org/history.htm
>
>It doesn't specify which movie but does say he doubled for Cary Grant.
>
Gene Turner, that sounds a lot more reasonable that Hayes Jenkins.

-jl John


--Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch? -- Sundance



30 Jun 2004 05:39:13
John Lincoln
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?



Doria wrote:

>trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message news:<trudee-1606041917240001@cci-209150248024.clarityconnect.net>...
>
>
>>In article <8d469b87.0406161214.359d9844@posting.google.com>,
>>Bravesfan451@hotmail.com (Doria) wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>trudee@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message
>>>
>>>
>> news:<trudee-1506042210490001@cci-209150248003.clarityconnect.net>...
>>
>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> No doubles for Cary Grant. I had the opportunity to ask him this
>>>because we shared the same chiropractor years ago and were in the same
>>>waiting room on a couple of occasions, talking about the Dodgers (he
>>>was a big, big Dodger fan and had season tickets) and he told me he
>>>was a gymnast when he was young, and did all his own skating in most
>>>every scene in the Bishop's Wife (one of my favorits Grant movies).
>>>
>>>
>>Are you serious?? Cary Grant could do waltz jumps? What about Loretta
>>Young? Did he teach her to ice dance, or did she dance with a double, or
>>was that Cary and someone else?
>>
>>
>>
>------------------------
>
> I honestly don't know about Loretta Young. Although, Grant did say
>he did "most" of the skating scenes, probably had someone else for a
>couple of them. But he said he had skated quite frequently when he
>was younger and I think, (and I could be wrong about this because I
>haven't thought about this in years and my memory on it has faded a
>bit) he said that the skating scene was an added scene (not in the
>first version of the script but added later on) because the parties
>wanted to do a scene on skates. Pretty funny, huh? This would
>suggest that Loretta Young had some skating ability too and is wasn't
>all a double for her either, or that other guy in the scene with them
>(cab driver). This was a conversation we had in between talking about
>the Dodgers, his favorite topic...and mine since I am a big baseball
>fan too.
>
> Some of the old time actors from the 30s could do lots of other
>stuff besides act...sing, dance, roller skate, figure skate,
>gymnastics, etc., some came from the world of athletics...Esther
>Williams for example. Grant had been a circus performer when he was
>young...hence the gynmastics stuff he could do, like back and front
>flips.
>
>
Loretta Young, or at least her character, also skated in THE FARMER'S
DAUGHTER. This was also a 1947 title; it appeared that she did most or
all of her skating in that scene. Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen can be
seen ice skating in THE BELLE OF NEW YORK. That title was shown
recently on Turner Classic Movies. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
roller skating in SHALL WE DANCE or SWING TIME, I can never remember
which one, Gene Kelly roller skating in IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER. If
you think back, you might recall David Nelson (of Ozzie and Harriet
fame) doing a trapeze act in 'Circus of the Stars' on the telly; late
60s or early 70s. Both David Nelson and brother Rick Nelson were fairly
good ice skaters; up to at least single axels..

-jl John


--Extent and goal of current public education: "Ya want fries with that?"



30 Jun 2004 08:10:24
Trudi Marrapodi
Re: OK, so who skated for Cary Grant?

In article <6gkEc.17959$w07.14574@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net >, John
Lincoln <lincskate@earthlink.net > wrote:

> Ellyn Kestnbaum wrote:
>
> >To specify...
> >
> >A little over a year ago, Eugene Turner (1940 and 41 US champ) had a
> >website at http://www.eturnerbooks.comto promote a novel he had
> >written. IIRC, his bio there stated that he had done the skating for
> >Grant in this movie. That website now longer seems to exist, so I
> >can't verify my memory.
> >
> >The closest I can find now is this
> >
> >http://www.lafsc.org/history.htm
> >
> >It doesn't specify which movie but does say he doubled for Cary Grant.
> >
> Gene Turner, that sounds a lot more reasonable that Hayes Jenkins.

I agree. And for the record, Turner Classic Movies is not in the habit of
"trimming credits" from a movie. These credits looked like the original
ones that traditionally appeared at the end of every film of the era.
Granted, there were often credits at the beginning of such movies, too,
and I didn't see those. But if a stunt person is going to be credited
anywhere in a movie, it would be more likely to be at the end than at the
beginning. After all, telling everyone who did the stunts at the beginning
of the movie doesn't do much to help the audience suspend its disbelief.
("Disclaimer: Cary Grant is not really an angel. Repeat: Cary Grant is NOT
AN ANGEL. This is ONLY A MOVIE. Repeat: This is ONLY A MOVIE...")
--
Trudi

"Cleveland rocks."--Ian Hunter