30 Nov 2006 16:12:34
Chilly8
North American Union

With the attempts to replace the USA Canada, and Mexico with a North
American Union, where all 13 Canadian, 49 American(there are 49 states
in the USA,, contrary to what one of the "Wily Coyotes" says), and 31
Mexican states would all effectively be independent countries, but
under an EU-like regume, it has to be asked, what would happen to the
balance of power in skating.
With up to 93 more countries in the ISU, I would think the ISU
would have to bring back the Qualifying round of competitions, to keep
the number of competitors down to a reasonable number. There are
already around 100 members now, I think, and 93 more would necessitate
at least adding qualifying, or making Four Continents and/or Eurpoeans
a qualfier for Worlds, or bringing back the North American
championships, which were axed last June, and make them a qualier for
Worlds/Olympics from North American countries.
Counting the Caribbean region, the North American union, or NAU,
for short, could eventually grow to 134 countries. Among North American
countries, which nations, from the proposed North American Union would
be the skating powers of that region? Florida could be a possibility,
if Michelle Kwan ever comes back. Michelle is from the Miami area,
where she was born and raised.
With the growing number of Cuban-American skaters now residing in
Southern California, California could eventually be made into a figure
skating power. Sasha Cohen was born in Cuba, but resides in SoCal now.
If were to compete for an independent California, as part of the NAU,
she could win the first medal for the new nation. While the
Cuban-American skaters, many of them coaches now, could eventually make
California a figure skating power, it would be a long time before they
could match the Russians.
The one thing about the USA dissappearing woudl be the end of the
USFSA, and, effectively, the end of the ban on Tonya in skating, since
its a USFSA ban and only applies as long as the USFSA exists. One of
the 134 nations of what would eventually be the NAU could sanction her
as a coach, and I would not be surprised if one of them did. Tonya
could eventually become a world-class coach, with no more USFSA, and no
more ban on her.

Some want to create the NAU by 2010. If this happens, and the USA,
Canada, and the Caribbean and replaced by 93 seperate nations under the
NAU, this is how I see the Olympics in 2010:

Ladies

1. Mao Asada Japan
2. Sasha Cohen Calfiornia Republic
3. Katy Taylor Jamaica
4. Emily Hughes Australia
5. Elena Sokolova Russia
6. Michelle Kwan Florida
7. Kimmie Meissner Australia
8. Angela Nikodinov South Carolina
9. Beatriz Liang Florida

Men

1. Evan Lysacek Aruba
2. Daisuke Takahashi Japan
3. Johnnie Wehr Barbados
4. Scott Smith Bermuda
5. Ryan Bradley Jamaica
6. Ilya Klimkin Russia

01 Dec 2006 03:57:32
Jeanne Douglas
Re: North American Union

In article <1164931954.806664.61410@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
"Chilly8" <chilly8@hotmail.com > wrote:

> With the attempts to replace the USA Canada, and Mexico with a North
> American Union, where all 13 Canadian, 49 American(there are 49 states
> in the USA,, contrary to what one of the "Wily Coyotes" says), and 31
> Mexican states would all effectively be independent countries, but
> under an EU-like regume, it has to be asked, what would happen to the
> balance of power in skating.

Let's see some URLs to support this absurd assertion.

--
JD

"...if you think the 'Star Wars' prequels are a disease, then
'Serenity' is the cure."