18 Dec 2004 19:04:17
Janet
Marshall's World Cup

Just watched this on regular broadcast. Yep, no cable or satellite
here....

My impressions. Joubert looks tired. Weir looked tired (I like a lot
of things in his skating, and often find myself thinking a female
skater could also skate his numbers). Plushenko (sp?), while
melodramatic, apparently had the best skate of the lot. No biggie. I
did not care that much for Lya...can't remember how to spell it...the
Singing in the Rain routine that much. He did not seem to hold the
character throughout. I've been spoiled by Kurt Browning's number to
the show tune.

As for the ladies, I find myself tiring of Michelle Kwan, even the
champion that she is. I feel guilty about that somehow. Sasha almost
continually disappoints me, though I love her extension and
flexibility. I want and want for her to succeed. I know she's been
injured, but I wonder if she's done, truly, as a top level amateur.
Slutskaya, bless her heart -- great jumps, but nobody's home in
between. I love her energy and just that she's so happy to be back on
the ice though. Jenny Kirk -- lovely, but she almost seems frail
compared to the other skaters. Nikodinov -- I liked her, and usually I
don't too much.

Mostly I had my expectations way too high, as this show will be, aside
from whatever regular broadcast airs of U.S. National, the only amateur
competition I'm likely to see this season. So...maybe it's just me and
my jaded perception.

19 Dec 2004 07:04:35
Re: Marshall's World Cup

I think I've finally completely lost interest in Cohen. I can't even
figure out how she got third place. (Can someone explain that?) Kwan's
Bolero program has got to go. It's either too slow or it makes her look
too slow. She can save it for exhibitions; it would be nice for that.
If she takes it to the worlds and she wins, I will be quite surprised.
I was enjoying Nickodinov and then ran out of videotape. Irina sure
does get a lot of height in her jumps. Amazing.

19 Dec 2004 10:20:18
Dario
Re: Marshall's World Cup

Didn't Cohen fire Tarasova when she fell three times at a previous
competition? I counted three times at this event too. HMM. I love Cohen but
she skates too tentative even when she skates cleanly. You can always tell
that she is thinking her way through her program.

I also get the impression that if Plushy dropped the quad from his bag of
tricks it would no longer be a required jump in the men's competition. He
also seems like he has no real competition in the men's world. I get the
sense he is holding back technically, yet is FAR and away above the field in
this area.

Dario

"Janet" <e-skater@accessbee.com > wrote in message
> Just watched this on regular broadcast. Yep, no cable or satellite
> here....
>
> My impressions. Joubert looks tired. Weir looked tired (I like a lot
> of things in his skating, and often find myself thinking a female
> skater could also skate his numbers). Plushenko (sp?), while
> melodramatic, apparently had the best skate of the lot. No biggie. I
> did not care that much for Lya...can't remember how to spell it...the
> Singing in the Rain routine that much. He did not seem to hold the
> character throughout. I've been spoiled by Kurt Browning's number to
> the show tune.
>
> As for the ladies, I find myself tiring of Michelle Kwan, even the
> champion that she is. I feel guilty about that somehow. Sasha almost
> continually disappoints me, though I love her extension and
> flexibility. I want and want for her to succeed. I know she's been
> injured, but I wonder if she's done, truly, as a top level amateur.
> Slutskaya, bless her heart -- great jumps, but nobody's home in
> between. I love her energy and just that she's so happy to be back on
> the ice though. Jenny Kirk -- lovely, but she almost seems frail
> compared to the other skaters. Nikodinov -- I liked her, and usually I
> don't too much.
>
> Mostly I had my expectations way too high, as this show will be, aside
> from whatever regular broadcast airs of U.S. National, the only amateur
> competition I'm likely to see this season. So...maybe it's just me and
> my jaded perception.

19 Dec 2004 10:59:22
Rex
Re: Marshall's World Cup

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:04:35 -0800, Alternity wrote:

> I think I've finally completely lost interest in Cohen. I can't even
> figure out how she got third place. (Can someone explain that?) Kwan's
> Bolero program has got to go. It's either too slow or it makes her look
> too slow. She can save it for exhibitions; it would be nice for that.
> If she takes it to the worlds and she wins, I will be quite surprised.
> I was enjoying Nickodinov and then ran out of videotape. Irina sure
> does get a lot of height in her jumps. Amazing.

Well, Cohen does still have a back injury and wasn't able to train as much
as she wanted. I would like to think that had a lot to do with it.

19 Dec 2004 12:30:24
MTBill
Re: Marshall's World Cup

I haven't been a fan of the new CoP system, but if the old system can give a
bronze to someone who left that many butt prints in the ice, then maybe I
will have to reconsider.

Those judges should be removed!

<Alternity@EV1.net > wrote in message
> I think I've finally completely lost interest in Cohen. I can't even
> figure out how she got third place. (Can someone explain that?) Kwan's
> Bolero program has got to go. It's either too slow or it makes her look
> too slow. She can save it for exhibitions; it would be nice for that.
> If she takes it to the worlds and she wins, I will be quite surprised.
> I was enjoying Nickodinov and then ran out of videotape. Irina sure
> does get a lot of height in her jumps. Amazing.

20 Dec 2004 01:08:14
Jennifer Lyon
Re: Marshall's World Cup

----------
In article <5Gkxd.314$iy.261@fe25.usenetserver.com >, "MTBill"
<MTBill001@aol.com > wrote:

> I haven't been a fan of the new CoP system, but if the old system can give a
> bronze to someone who left that many butt prints in the ice, then maybe I
> will have to reconsider.

Yeah, on every skating board I've been to this season, I see complaints
about CoP. Not that CoP is perfect. It needs work. And the issue of corrupt
judging most certainly needs to be dealt with. But comparing corrupt judging
under 6.0 to corrupt judging under CoP, I'd say CoP has had better results
thus far. If CoP had been used at Marshall's, I seriously doubt that Sasha
would have placed as high as she did.

20 Dec 2004 13:45:42
shallah
Re: Marshall's World Cup

> > I haven't been a fan of the new CoP system, but if the old system can
give a
> > bronze to someone who left that many butt prints in the ice, then maybe
> > will have to reconsider.
>
> Yeah, on every skating board I've been to this season, I see complaints
> about CoP. Not that CoP is perfect. It needs work. And the issue of
corrupt
> judging most certainly needs to be dealt with. But comparing corrupt
judging
> under 6.0 to corrupt judging under CoP, I'd say CoP has had better results
> thus far. If CoP had been used at Marshall's, I seriously doubt that Sasha
> would have placed as high as she did.

How is CoP any better when Sasha won Skate Canada 2003 with 4 triples she
barely stood up on and no combo to Arakawa's 3/3 and more clean triples over
all?

20 Dec 2004 12:56:47
Re: Marshall's World Cup

shallah wrote:
> > > I haven't been a fan of the new CoP system, but if the old system
can
> give a
> > > bronze to someone who left that many butt prints in the ice, then
maybe....

> How is CoP any better when Sasha won Skate Canada 2003 with 4 triples
she
> barely stood up on and no combo to Arakawa's 3/3 and more clean
triples over
> all?

--------------------

True. Good points. I forgot about Skate Canada. The back injury
will not help Cohen at Nationals...she actually may fall out of the top
three if she doesn't have adequate training time
to get her act together. Injuries just take time to heal and there may
not be adequate time for her.

Doria

21 Dec 2004 15:35:51
Zamboni
Re: Marshall's World Cup

I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha severed ties with Robin very, very
soon. I mean, it's right before Nationals isn't it??? That's when Sasha
left Tarasova last season, right before Nationals. Mark my word.

22 Dec 2004 03:43:51
Phyllis Steen
Re: Marshall's World Cup

"Zamboni" <hudson708-google@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha severed ties with Robin very, very
> soon. I mean, it's right before Nationals isn't it??? That's when Sasha
> left Tarasova last season, right before Nationals. Mark my word.

Word marked.

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

--
This gum tastes like rubber!