26 Jan 2006 05:13:48
shallah
Kwan Will Face the Music on Friday

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-spw-kwan26jan26,1,6695231.story

U.S. Figure Skating officials said Wednesday they will announce their
decision at a news conference after she performs her short and long programs
in a closed session at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia. Two pool
reporters will be allowed to watch and describe what unfolds.

snip

The panel will be composed of Bob Horen of New Hope, Pa., chairman of U.S.
Figure Skating's International Committee; Charles Cyr of Palm Desert, a
technical controller; Paula Naughton of Vancouver, Wash., a world judge;
Lorrie Parker of Overland, Kan., an international judge; and Brittney
Bottoms of Marietta, Ga., who was a senior-level national competitor before
becoming a coach.

snip

Kwan is expected to demonstrate various jumps and spins during a practice
session Friday before she performs her short program to Franz Liszt's
"Totentanz." She will be allowed to rest before she performs her long
program, to Rachmaninov's "Prelude in C-sharp minor." She has not performed
the Rachmaninov program in competition this season.
-----
It is interesting that they will have reporters there when they have never
done that to other athletes who have received byes. And a bit off the
current topic it is also intersting that so many media who protested what
originally was a closed review by officials I can't recall protests about
the anoymous judging for the past several years. I can only remember Brennan
saying it was a bad thing. does this mean the ISU is more trust worthy than
the USFSA?

shallah

26 Jan 2006 09:28:03
Re: Kwan Will Face the Music on Friday

You are right about that. No media ever protests the judging at
figureskating events, they just take the judgment of the judges as the
word God and move on. And media never protests secret judging. They
don't give a damn. I am surprised that the USFSA has any reporters at
Kwan's skate trial considering it really isn't necessary. The 5
judges are enough and besides the reporters judgment doesn't count for
crap.

Doria

26 Jan 2006 11:27:34
Rose

Bravesfan451@hotmail.com wrote:
> You are right about that. No media ever protests the judging at
> figureskating events, they just take the judgment of the judges as the
> word God and move on. And media never protests secret judging. They
> don't give a damn. I am surprised that the USFSA has any reporters at
> Kwan's skate trial considering it really isn't necessary. The 5
> judges are enough and besides the reporters judgment doesn't count for
> crap.
>

> Doria

Reporters would probably disagree with me (grin) but the way I see it,
the reporters are there to report, not to judge. If Kwan falls seven
times they will see it and let us know. If she makes no mistakes, they
will let us know that. They might say "Kwan was boring and lackluster"
and that would be strictly their opinion, but if they don't say "she
fell, stumbled and threw tantrums" we'll know she did at least fairly
well.

26 Jan 2006 12:33:58
Rose

shallah wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-spw-kwan26jan26,1,6695231.story
>
> U.S. Figure Skating officials said Wednesday they will announce their
> decision at a news conference after she performs her short and long programs
> in a closed session at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia. Two pool
> reporters will be allowed to watch and describe what unfolds.

This is really quite exciting. I haven't felt this much suspense over
something skating related in a long time. If she makes it, it will be
great to see her in Turino; if not, that's ok too... she won't suffer
another broken heart in not winning the gold, and Emily Hughes will get
to go. It's all good.

> snip
>
> The panel will be composed of Bob Horen of New Hope, Pa., chairman of U.S.
> Figure Skating's International Committee; Charles Cyr of Palm Desert, a
> technical controller; Paula Naughton of Vancouver, Wash., a world judge;
> Lorrie Parker of Overland, Kan., an international judge; and Brittney
> Bottoms of Marietta, Ga., who was a senior-level national competitor before
> becoming a coach.

I think this sounds like a good mix. You've got people inclined to want
Kwan on the team, people who might not want her on the team, and people
who wouldn't care either way.

> snip
>
> Kwan is expected to demonstrate various jumps and spins during a practice
> session Friday before she performs her short program to Franz Liszt's
> "Totentanz." She will be allowed to rest before she performs her long
> program, to Rachmaninov's "Prelude in C-sharp minor." She has not performed
> the Rachmaninov program in competition this season.
> -----
> It is interesting that they will have reporters there when they have never
> done that to other athletes who have received byes.

It's a good thing. Let's consider this scenario: she skates well and
gets the bye. If they weren't allowed in, they could assume Kwan skated
like crap and got the bye anyway. If they are there and they see her
skate well, they won't be able to argue that she's in no shape for
Turino. On the other hand if she skates poorly and gets the bye, the
press can let the world know the system isn't working.

>And a bit off the
> current topic it is also intersting that so many media who protested what
> originally was a closed review by officials I can't recall protests about
> the anoymous judging for the past several years. I can only remember Brennan
> saying it was a bad thing. does this mean the ISU is more trust worthy than
> the USFSA?

I don't follow you. What you said would seem to reflect poorly on the
press for not coming down on the new system, not the USFSA. Did I
misunderstand?

26 Jan 2006 20:35:36
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Kwan Will Face the Music on Friday

: Bravesfan451@hotmail.com wrote:
: > You are right about that. No media ever protests the judging at
: > figureskating events, they just take the judgment of the judges as the
: > word God and move on.

Excuse me? I guess I dreamed all those stories about the judging in Salt
Lake City in the pairs event.

Fiona

26 Jan 2006 16:03:23
Chris Hall

Rose wrote:

>shallah wrote:
>

>>And a bit off the
>>current topic it is also intersting that so many media who protested what
>>originally was a closed review by officials I can't recall protests about
>>the anoymous judging for the past several years. I can only remember Brennan
>>saying it was a bad thing. does this mean the ISU is more trust worthy than
>>the USFSA?
>>

>I don't follow you. What you said would seem to reflect poorly on the
>press for not coming down on the new system, not the USFSA. Did I
>misunderstand?

What's even more confusing is that USFSA does not use anonymous judging
in any of its qualifying competitions (and never has), so this
particular complaint should never be leveled at Regionals, Sectionals,
Nationals, Jr Nationals, Adult Nationals or the Synchro Sectionals and
Nationals. Only ISU uses anonymous judging, which was added onto the old
6.0 OBO system even before CoP. I seem to recall many people on rssif
adamantly insisting that anonymity was an essential part of CoP, but
somehow USFSA managed to magically expunge it. ;-)

I'll also note that one of the loud and frequent knocks against CoP was
that it absolutely required expensive video equipment. Although that is
definitely preferred if available, it is not absolutely essential. CoP
(or IJS or NJS or CPC as the Canadians call it) competitions this year
without the video/computer gear included Colonial Open, the Jr World
Qualifier and Mid America (they did have the fancy stuff at Porter).
Pencil and paper did just fine, thank you very much. This year, novice
to Sr were IJS. Next year, I believe all levels in qualifying
competitions will be (at least in synchro, and probably in the other
disciplines as well).

Chris

26 Jan 2006 21:23:51
shallah
Re: Kwan Will Face the Music on Friday

>>And a bit off the
>> current topic it is also intersting that so many media who protested what
>> originally was a closed review by officials I can't recall protests about
>> the anoymous judging for the past several years. I can only remember
>> Brennan
>> saying it was a bad thing. does this mean the ISU is more trust worthy
>> than
>> the USFSA?
>
> I don't follow you. What you said would seem to reflect poorly on the
> press for not coming down on the new system, not the USFSA. Did I
> misunderstand?

By protesting anonymous doings by the USFSA the media says they are not
trust worthy. By *not* protesting the anonymous doings of the ISU the media
says they are worthy of trust. So yes I was being critical of those in the
media who have ignored the anonymous judging of the past several years but
have a hissy over the USFSA granting a bye without public oversight.
Additionally they protested the granting of a bye that has been part of
USFSA rules for year but few noted that new judging system was forced into
use *against* ISU established rules. Hypocracy runs amok. blech.

shallah

26 Jan 2006 23:35:40
Phyllis Steen

<Bravesfan451@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> I am surprised that the USFSA has any reporters at
> Kwan's skate trial considering it really isn't necessary. The 5
> judges are enough and besides the reporters judgment doesn't count for
> crap.

I suppose the reporters are there to keep the judges so-called honest. You
know otherwise they won't have the guts to kick Michelle off the team when
she flunks the test skate tomorrow. [/sarcasm]

--
This gum tastes like rubber!
--

26 Jan 2006 22:29:59
Rose

Shallah wrote:

"By protesting anonymous doings by the USFSA the media says they are
not
trust worthy. By *not* protesting the anonymous doings of the ISU the
media
says they are worthy of trust. So yes I was being critical of those in
the
media who have ignored the anonymous judging of the past several years
but
have a hissy over the USFSA granting a bye without public oversight.
Additionally they protested the granting of a bye that has been part of

USFSA rules for year but few noted that new judging system was forced
into
use *against* ISU established rules. Hypocracy runs amok. blech. "

Points well taken. I hope you send a letter to a major newspaper
saying that.