26 Dec 2004 10:52:23
Trudi Marrapodi
Chintzy Las Vegas ice show fools cable providers

Hmm. Yesterday, according to the guide that pops up on my TV courtesy of
my cable company when I press various buttons on my remote, one of my
local stations was supposed to show the syndicated "Holiday Festival on
Ice" special starring Brian Orser amongst other skaters (it even mentioned
their names). So of course I set a tape for it before going to visit
anyone, along with setting it for the "Holiday Celebration on Ice" or
whatever they called the thing with Michael McDonald (I can almost hear
Fiona cringing) after it.

Imagine my surprise to come home and find that the show that I taped
before "Holiday Celebration" was not "Holiday Festival on Ice," but rather
a cheap show from Las Vegas, hosted by Nancy Kerrigan (who did not skate),
called "Holiday on Ice" (note the difference in name), featuring a group
of largely nameless Vegas skaters performing on a tiny outdoor rink
mounted on a barge. Aside from Leonova & Khvaklo, and Irina Gregorian and
her magic hula hoops, these skaters were at the "Boobs on Cubes" level of
skating celebrity--Darlin Baker (the poor man's Nicole Bobek) and the
like. We were told that one of them, Jordan Wilson, was "a current and
seven-time national team member" or something like that, but if so, at
what level? Junior? He looked a bit old for that, so I doubt it. Oh, and
one of them was plugged as a "USFS Gold Medalist." Yes, indeedy, she
passed her senior gold tests (at one time or another) and here she is!

Now. What I want to know is, how come my local cable company got the
complete wrong information about which program this was and put it on my
screen guide as being an utterly different show? And who paid to get this
on the air in the first place? Frankly, I'm surprised that any local
stations even bought into this thing. Not that it was horrible, but there
were no star names in the thing (other than the off-ice Nancy) and the
skating level was for the most part not what you would call world-class
either.

Mind you, if these people want to put on an ice show for those who come to
the area, God bless 'em. I'm just not sure how they ever got it picked up
by any TV stations. And why it was billed on my local cable listings as
being a completely different show with more star quality.
--
Trudi
in the home of the official Crayola "Rock and Roll Raspberry" state

27 Dec 2004 13:55:49
Terry Hall
Re: Chintzy Las Vegas ice show fools cable providers

"Trudi Marrapodi" <trudee@clarityconnect.competent > wrote in message

> Hmm. Yesterday, according to the guide that pops up on my TV courtesy of
> my cable company when I press various buttons on my remote, one of my
> local stations was supposed to show the syndicated "Holiday Festival on
> Ice" special starring Brian Orser amongst other skaters (it even mentioned
> their names). So of course I set a tape for it before going to visit
> anyone, along with setting it for the "Holiday Celebration on Ice" or
> whatever they called the thing with Michael McDonald (I can almost hear
> Fiona cringing) after it.
>
> Imagine my surprise to come home and find that the show that I taped
> before "Holiday Celebration" was not "Holiday Festival on Ice," but rather
> a cheap show from Las Vegas, hosted by Nancy Kerrigan (who did not skate),
> called "Holiday on Ice" (note the difference in name), featuring a group
> of largely nameless Vegas skaters performing on a tiny outdoor rink
> mounted on a barge. Aside from Leonova & Khvaklo, and Irina Gregorian and
> her magic hula hoops, these skaters were at the "Boobs on Cubes" level of
> skating celebrity--Darlin Baker (the poor man's Nicole Bobek) and the
> like. We were told that one of them, Jordan Wilson, was "a current and
> seven-time national team member" or something like that, but if so, at
> what level? Junior? He looked a bit old for that, so I doubt it.

Hey, they never said American team. Could be Australia or Outer Mongolia they
were refering to.

> Now. What I want to know is, how come my local cable company got the
> complete wrong information about which program this was and put it on my
> screen guide as being an utterly different show? And who paid to get this
> on the air in the first place? Frankly, I'm surprised that any local
> stations even bought into this thing. Not that it was horrible, but there
> were no star names in the thing (other than the off-ice Nancy) and the
> skating level was for the most part not what you would call world-class
> either.
>
> Mind you, if these people want to put on an ice show for those who come to
> the area, God bless 'em. I'm just not sure how they ever got it picked up
> by any TV stations. And why it was billed on my local cable listings as
> being a completely different show with more star quality.

Their attitude is probably that skating isn't that important so they don't
bother to check the titles properly. So long as it's got "Holiday" and "Ice"
in the title, it's "close enough for government work" as far as these guys
are concerned. I mean, they probably figure "it's only old ladies and fags
who watch this stuff, so who cares? It's all the same".

We got something called "Holiday Festival on Ice" out here, hosted by
Katerina Witt. I'm not sure if this was the same thing you were supposed to
see, but this one had Oksana Baiul, Chen Lu and the real Nicole Bobek,
amongst others. Can't remember who the guys were, except for Josef Sabovchik.
Orser may have been among them. Highlight was an elaborate James Bond tribute
featuring all the skaters. We also got "Holiday Celebration on Ice" but I
haven't looked at the tape yet, so I don't know who's in it.

Terry Hall
Head of Special Duties Section
Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
http://www.geocities.com/portice

27 Dec 2004 04:26:05
Phyllis Steen
Re: Chintzy Las Vegas ice show fools cable providers

I saw that show a week ago on one of the local stations in my area. I
flipped back and forth between it and another channel, so I missed most of
the names. I was wondering if anyone knew who the tiny Asian boy was. He
looked like he was about 3.

"Trudi Marrapodi" <trudee@clarityconnect.competent > wrote in message
> Hmm. Yesterday, according to the guide that pops up on my TV courtesy of
> my cable company when I press various buttons on my remote, one of my
> local stations was supposed to show the syndicated "Holiday Festival on
> Ice" special starring Brian Orser amongst other skaters (it even mentioned
> their names). So of course I set a tape for it before going to visit
> anyone, along with setting it for the "Holiday Celebration on Ice" or
> whatever they called the thing with Michael McDonald (I can almost hear
> Fiona cringing) after it.
>
> Imagine my surprise to come home and find that the show that I taped
> before "Holiday Celebration" was not "Holiday Festival on Ice," but rather
> a cheap show from Las Vegas, hosted by Nancy Kerrigan (who did not skate),
> called "Holiday on Ice" (note the difference in name), featuring a group
> of largely nameless Vegas skaters performing on a tiny outdoor rink
> mounted on a barge. Aside from Leonova & Khvaklo, and Irina Gregorian and
> her magic hula hoops, these skaters were at the "Boobs on Cubes" level of
> skating celebrity--Darlin Baker (the poor man's Nicole Bobek) and the
> like. We were told that one of them, Jordan Wilson, was "a current and
> seven-time national team member" or something like that, but if so, at
> what level? Junior? He looked a bit old for that, so I doubt it. Oh, and
> one of them was plugged as a "USFS Gold Medalist." Yes, indeedy, she
> passed her senior gold tests (at one time or another) and here she is!
>
> Now. What I want to know is, how come my local cable company got the
> complete wrong information about which program this was and put it on my
> screen guide as being an utterly different show? And who paid to get this
> on the air in the first place? Frankly, I'm surprised that any local
> stations even bought into this thing. Not that it was horrible, but there
> were no star names in the thing (other than the off-ice Nancy) and the
> skating level was for the most part not what you would call world-class
> either.
>
> Mind you, if these people want to put on an ice show for those who come to
> the area, God bless 'em. I'm just not sure how they ever got it picked up
> by any TV stations. And why it was billed on my local cable listings as
> being a completely different show with more star quality.
> --
> Trudi
> in the home of the official Crayola "Rock and Roll Raspberry" state

27 Dec 2004 00:00:34
johns
Re: Chintzy Las Vegas ice show fools cable providers

Kerrigan? Hmm ... that could very well be the NC
slimballs who have given us so much cheezy poop
for the last 15 years. If you can't deal drugs, or sell
cars, promote ice skating. They had her skating down
the strand at OD. Wonder if she ever picked up any
decent Shag steps? Probably not. She would have
to drive up to Atlantic Beach to get it right.

johns