29 Apr 2005 10:24:00
Alan Luchetti
due cridut

by the Tahs coach from the House of Pain ...

"The deep south is where traditional New Zealand rucking rugby has its
roots. An almost sacred style has always been a part of the ethos in these
parts. The success of the 2005 Highlanders has its origins in the
traditional, ruthless execution of the basic elements of the game.
The success of the Crusaders and Highlanders lies in the quality and
commitment in the scrum, ruck, maul and tackle. Both teams thrive on the
all-round ability of their players and I'm not talking about their ability
to kick or pass.

By all-round I mean there is a universal commitment to do things in the game
that create opportunities for another. Without going into too much detail I
am talking about the harnessing of perfect body position at the tackle, use
of the legs and feet in the drive (this has been modified to suit the modern
game) and the relentless pursuit of "body height". Master these with
appropriate numbers at the tackle, maul and ruck and you have the potential
to do damage.

Couple this with attitude in defence and the package is starting to take
shape. It seems down in the deep south these things are always practised and
consequently never forgotten."

29 Apr 2005 14:32:24
Peter Ashford
Re: due cridut

Alan Luchetti wrote:

> by the Tahs coach from the House of Pain ...
>
> "The deep south is where traditional New Zealand rucking rugby has its
> roots. An almost sacred style has always been a part of the ethos in these
> parts. The success of the 2005 Highlanders has its origins in the
> traditional, ruthless execution of the basic elements of the game.
> The success of the Crusaders and Highlanders lies in the quality and
> commitment in the scrum, ruck, maul and tackle. Both teams thrive on the
> all-round ability of their players and I'm not talking about their ability
> to kick or pass.
>
> By all-round I mean there is a universal commitment to do things in the game
> that create opportunities for another. Without going into too much detail I
> am talking about the harnessing of perfect body position at the tackle, use
> of the legs and feet in the drive (this has been modified to suit the modern
> game) and the relentless pursuit of "body height". Master these with
> appropriate numbers at the tackle, maul and ruck and you have the potential
> to do damage.
>
> Couple this with attitude in defence and the package is starting to take
> shape. It seems down in the deep south these things are always practised and
> consequently never forgotten."

And here it was I thought that the Highlanders - always a good forward
outfit - had finally gotten a half decent backline and were consequently
coming good.

29 Apr 2005 13:03:28
Alan Luchetti
Re: due cridut

"Peter Ashford" <me@here.there.com > wrote in message
> Alan Luchetti wrote:

>> by the Tahs coach from the House of Pain ...
>>
>> "The deep south is where traditional New Zealand rucking rugby has its
>> roots. An almost sacred style has always been a part of the ethos in
>> these parts. The success of the 2005 Highlanders has its origins in the
>> traditional, ruthless execution of the basic elements of the game.
>> The success of the Crusaders and Highlanders lies in the quality and
>> commitment in the scrum, ruck, maul and tackle. Both teams thrive on the
>> all-round ability of their players and I'm not talking about their
>> ability to kick or pass.
>>
>> By all-round I mean there is a universal commitment to do things in the
>> game that create opportunities for another. Without going into too much
>> detail I am talking about the harnessing of perfect body position at the
>> tackle, use of the legs and feet in the drive (this has been modified to
>> suit the modern game) and the relentless pursuit of "body height". Master
>> these with appropriate numbers at the tackle, maul and ruck and you have
>> the potential to do damage.
>>
>> Couple this with attitude in defence and the package is starting to take
>> shape. It seems down in the deep south these things are always practised
>> and consequently never forgotten."

> And here it was I thought that the Highlanders - always a good forward
> outfit - had finally gotten a half decent backline and were consequently
> coming good.

I agree with you about the icing. I also agree with McKenzie about the
cake.