26 Apr 2005 22:19:15
Eccles
Tykes looking good!

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I don't know whether this topic will be widely
appreciated. I'm from England by the way...

Just saw the recult from Quins/Tykes game!! Awesome result for Tykes, it was
looking scary for a moment!

Anyone have any comments on the game, as I was unable to see it, or even
listen to it on the radio?

Also, i guess it may have been discussed before, but what are peoples views
on Quins being relagated? Clearly Bristol deserve to be back in the
Premiership, but Quins in national 1, with their own ground, seems a bit
crazy!

26 Apr 2005 19:07:05
Mark P
Re: Tykes looking good!

Eccles wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I don't know whether this topic will be widely
> appreciated. I'm from England by the way...
>

> Just saw the recult from Quins/Tykes game!! Awesome result for Tykes, it was
> looking scary for a moment!
>
> Anyone have any comments on the game, as I was unable to see it, or even
> listen to it on the radio?
>
> Also, i guess it may have been discussed before, but what are peoples views
> on Quins being relagated? Clearly Bristol deserve to be back in the
> Premiership, but Quins in national 1, with their own ground, seems a bit
> crazy!

Quins have the fewest wins - 6, but as many bonus points as the top two
- 11. I guess their season has been a bunch of narrow defeats rather
than hammerings. It seems to me that Relegation is OK as long as it is
Rotherham, but Worcester have come along and ruined the plot. So, Quins
go down. Does anybody really care? They are the team everybody loves
to hate. Good Cup side, good 7s side, but never really made their mark
elsewhere. They are famous for being famous, and lets face it an A1
route to a Cap. The high spending Toffs have finally come a cropper.
They've all gone, Woody, Jase and Captain Bumface. Greenwood all on his
lonesome. What will they ever think next door at HQ? "Have to ring
fence the ruddy ZP now, old boy!"

27 Apr 2005 15:26:25
dechucka
Re: Tykes looking good!

snip

When I saw the SUBJECT" Tykes looking good" I thought you were talking about
Joey's or Iggies in the Sydney GPS Comp

27 Apr 2005 06:15:21
John Williams
Re: Tykes looking good!

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:19:15 GMT, "Eccles" <js3062@bris.ac.uk > wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I don't know whether this topic will be widely
>appreciated. I'm from England by the way...

Welcome to the bytefest. Your nationality will be held against you.

>Just saw the recult from Quins/Tykes game!! Awesome result for Tykes, it was
>looking scary for a moment!
>
>Anyone have any comments on the game, as I was unable to see it, or even
>listen to it on the radio?

It was a thoroughly convincing win for Leeds. They dominated territory
in the first half which ended 7-3 to them, in wet conditions. Quins
had an interception try from a badly judged Ross pass to take the lead
at the start of the second half, and had more of the ball in the third
quarter. Ross made up for that mistake by launching a 10m
counter-attack finished by Christophers. Finally in a stroke of genius
Evans swapped Staunton for Ah-Well Thomas who left a hole the size of
the grand canyon at a close scrum and Snyman scored his second when 9
Dickens went through the hole.

On this showing Quins don't have the firepower to win the "must win"
game v Sale on Saturday, but who can be certain?

Nice to see some less prominent players doing well for Leeds, where
Bell is developing very rapidly at IC, and Biggs fizzed when he came
on. Two for Rick to add to his spot list (You don't know who Rick is
yet, but if you hang around here you'll find out soon enough). In the
pack tighthead Kerr got MoM from Barnes, and Hooper did well at lock.

Quins were unable to threaten much beyond the abrasive running of
Harder, with Greenwood at OC (it seemed) getting little chance to show
any attacking stuff. Diprose tried manfully in the pack, but as a unit
they weren't too impressive.

>Also, i guess it may have been discussed before, but what are peoples views
>on Quins being relagated? Clearly Bristol deserve to be back in the
>Premiership, but Quins in national 1, with their own ground, seems a bit
>crazy!

If teams aren't relegated, the closed shop would stagnate at the
bottom. Obviously bad luck on the team that gets relegated, but why
should they have a spot for ever? [Yes, lots of arguments both ways,
but with the ZP championship decided on a playoff, at least there is
one thing decided by the league itself].

--

Regards,
John Williams