29 Jan 2008 13:42:57
didgerman
Tait: You have to wonder....

Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
like Tindall, or Noon.
Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
original Balshaw.
Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into our
forwards for support. Brilliant.

29 Jan 2008 06:35:52
simon s-b
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

On Jan 29, 1:42=A0pm, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com > wrote:
> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
> that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
> been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
> to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
> like Tindall, or Noon.
> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
> ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
> deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
> original Balshaw.
> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into our
> forwards for support. Brilliant.

I think 15 is his best position. With the pack that they have at
Newcastle, he doesn't have that extra yard of space he needs to be
effective as a 13, so it makes perfect sense.

29 Jan 2008 18:34:26
Walter Mitty
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com > writes:

> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
> that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
> been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
> to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
> like Tindall, or Noon.
> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
> ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
> deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
> original Balshaw.
> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into
> our forwards for support. Brilliant.

Vainikolo is on the bench.

Balshaw will take this chance. Please be to God.

29 Jan 2008 17:42:34
Rob Stradling
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

didgerman wrote:
> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
> that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
> been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
> to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
> like Tindall, or Noon.
> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
> ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
> deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
> original Balshaw.
> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into our
> forwards for support. Brilliant.

As a Welshman, the selection of Balshaw over Tait pleases me no end.

As a rugby fan, my mind boggles...

The only rationale I can see is that, with Henson and Parker in the
Wales midfield, we can't kick that much - instead choosing to run at
you, where Balshaw might be a useful defender.

But an English backline with Wilkison, Tindall and Balshaw just doesn't
have the same fear-of-God factor as Cip, Tait and Lewsey. Tindall,
particularly, is the sort of player I'd have thought you should pick
when expecting to dominate possession. But if Jones, Thomas and Williams
can't hold their own against Haskell, Moody and Narraway, then a Welsh
back three never will.

29 Jan 2008 18:30:26
didgerman
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

Walter Mitty wrote:
> didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com> writes:
>
>> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
>> that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
>> been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
>> to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
>> like Tindall, or Noon.
>> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
>> ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
>> deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
>> original Balshaw.
>> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into
>> our forwards for support. Brilliant.
>
> Vainikolo is on the bench.

Yep, but it won't be long before he gets on. Possibly because Balshaw
will get mullered by dodgy Welsh play, or possibly because Sackey isn't
fit yet.

> Balshaw will take this chance. Please be to God.

Just watched him play against Ulster, 2-3 weeks back iirc. He played
well and if he can keep that up through the 6N then fair enough.

29 Jan 2008 18:36:24
didgerman
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

Rob Stradling wrote:
> didgerman wrote:
>> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come to
>> that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe would've
>> been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two of the oppo
>> to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than a battering ram
>> like Tindall, or Noon.
>> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another Balshaw,
>> ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than most to
>> deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced him with the
>> original Balshaw.
>> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into
>> our forwards for support. Brilliant.
>
> As a Welshman, the selection of Balshaw over Tait pleases me no end.
>
> As a rugby fan, my mind boggles...

Can't understand Tait at 15 tbh. He hits hard enough and has a superb
step plus acceleration that can leave people wafting at air. Sounds like
a 13 to me, dominant pack or not.

> The only rationale I can see is that, with Henson and Parker in the
> Wales midfield, we can't kick that much - instead choosing to run at
> you, where Balshaw might be a useful defender.

Hmmm, more of an ankle tapper perhaps...

> But an English backline with Wilkison, Tindall and Balshaw just doesn't
> have the same fear-of-God factor as Cip, Tait and Lewsey. Tindall,
> particularly, is the sort of player I'd have thought you should pick
> when expecting to dominate possession. But if Jones, Thomas and Williams
> can't hold their own against Haskell, Moody and Narraway, then a Welsh
> back three never will.

Well we'll see. Got your Ospreys scarf ready?

29 Jan 2008 19:13:48
Rob Stradling
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com > wrote in

>> But an English backline with Wilkison, Tindall and Balshaw just
>> doesn't have the same fear-of-God factor as Cip, Tait and Lewsey.
>> Tindall, particularly, is the sort of player I'd have thought you
>> should pick when expecting to dominate possession. But if Jones,
>> Thomas and Williams can't hold their own against Haskell, Moody and
>> Narraway, then a Welsh back three never will.
>
> Well we'll see. Got your Ospreys scarf ready?

Oh, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they blew it.

All weary experience aside, on paper a back row like that Welsh one, versus
two rookies and a loose cannon like Moody, should make the breakdown a no-
contest, even at HQ.

The only logical reason for expecting Wales to fuck it up, is that we
always do. :-(

--
http://web-ellion.blogspot.com/

29 Jan 2008 20:36:46
Walter Mitty
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com > writes:

> Rob Stradling wrote:
>> didgerman wrote:
>>> Why is he considered full-back material anyway? Or even wing come
>>> to that. He doesn't have the kicking game for a 12, which maybe
>>> would've been his best spot, but he makes a handy 13, taking up two
>>> of the oppo to cover him, and far more likely to break a line than
>>> a battering ram like Tindall, or Noon.
>>> Pfffft, I really don't know. Looks like we've created another
>>> Balshaw, ruined him by dropping him twice when he'd done more than
>>> most to deserve a squad spot. The worst thing is, we've replaced
>>> him with the original Balshaw.
>>> Wales kick, Balshaw gathers, ships to Vainikolo, who runs back into
>>> our forwards for support. Brilliant.
>>
>> As a Welshman, the selection of Balshaw over Tait pleases me no end.
>>
>> As a rugby fan, my mind boggles...
>
> Can't understand Tait at 15 tbh. He hits hard enough and has a superb
> step plus acceleration that can leave people wafting at air. Sounds
> like a 13 to me, dominant pack or not.

Which of the greats/memorable players shared that combo?

Cullen? Check.
Campese? Check.
Robinson? Check.

Positions most dangerous IMO? Fullback (ok Wing too, but step not so
important there IMO for putting opponents away and leaving them for dust).

29 Jan 2008 20:11:37
Tim Jesson
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

> All weary experience aside, on paper a back row like that Welsh one, versus
> two rookies and a loose cannon like Moody, should make the breakdown a no-
> contest, even at HQ.

Moody has been the most disciplined English forward for a couple of
seasons now. Rarely gives away more than one penalty in a game.

> The only logical reason for expecting Wales to fuck it up, is that we
> always do. :-(

Always will.

Cheers,
TJ

29 Jan 2008 20:32:08
didgerman
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

Walter Mitty wrote:
> didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com> writes:
>
>> Rob Stradling wrote:
>>> As a Welshman, the selection of Balshaw over Tait pleases me no end.
>>>
>>> As a rugby fan, my mind boggles...
>> Can't understand Tait at 15 tbh. He hits hard enough and has a superb
>> step plus acceleration that can leave people wafting at air. Sounds
>> like a 13 to me, dominant pack or not.
>
> Which of the greats/memorable players shared that combo?
>
> Cullen? Check.
> Campese? Check.
> Robinson? Check.

Just not sure he has the timing to put in a big try stopping tackle that
players like Lewsey have. I like fullbacks that you can rely on as
ultimate stoppers, fucking big Gandalf types 'you shall not pass' and
all that. That's the first quality for me anyway.

> Positions most dangerous IMO? Fullback (ok Wing too, but step not so
> important there IMO for putting opponents away and leaving them for dust).

But he does have a terrific step which is hard to use at full gallop, so
it'd be somewhat wasted. Also I don't think he's old enough to want the
do or die JPR type charge into the line.

We should generate broken play, ship the ball to him {or a good kicking
12} and get a wing on his shoulder. If we can do that to the oppo whilst
their usual def' patterns aren't formed, then we'd be in the black. I'd
have thought also, that uber stepping Tait would work well against the
new Gatland/Osprey alliance and its rush defence mantra.
Still, wtf do I know....

30 Jan 2008 00:38:29
simon s-b
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

On Jan 29, 8:32=A0pm, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com > wrote:
> Walter Mitty wrote:
> > didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> writes:

> >> Can't understand Tait at 15 tbh. He hits hard enough and has a superb
> >> step plus acceleration that can leave people wafting at air. Sounds
> >> like a 13 to me, dominant pack or not.
>
> > Which of the greats/memorable players shared that combo?
>
> > Cullen? Check.
> > Campese? Check.
> > Robinson? Check.
>
> Just not sure he has the timing to put in a big try stopping tackle that
> players like Lewsey have. I like fullbacks that you can rely on as
> ultimate stoppers, fucking big Gandalf types 'you shall not pass' and
> all that. That's the first quality for me anyway.

Whereas my criteria lead me to love players like Geordan Murphy and
Matt Perry. First and foremost they have to have your utmost
confidence when a high ball goes up. After that, the pace to tackle
out wide, run nice angles and have a decent outside break.

> > Positions most dangerous IMO? Fullback (ok Wing too, but step not so
> > important there IMO for putting opponents away and leaving them for dust=
).

> But he does have a terrific step which is hard to use at full gallop, so
> it'd be somewhat wasted. Also I don't think he's old enough to want the
> do or die JPR type charge into the line.
>
> We should generate broken play, ship the ball to him {or a good kicking
> 12} and get a wing on his shoulder. If we can do that to the oppo whilst
> their usual def' patterns aren't formed, then we'd be in the black. I'd
> have thought also, that uber stepping Tait would work well against the
> new Gatland/Osprey alliance and its rush defence mantra.
> Still, wtf do I know....

Has Tait played Wales since that orange bloke made a name for himself?

30 Jan 2008 12:56:03
Rob Stradling
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

simon s-b <baittrap@gmail.com > wrote:

> Whereas my criteria lead me to love players like Geordan Murphy and
> Matt Perry. First and foremost they have to have your utmost
> confidence when a high ball goes up. After that, the pace to tackle
> out wide, run nice angles and have a decent outside break.

Matt "Born Five Years Too Early" Perry. Poor sod. What a fantastic player.
He could drop goals, too.

--
http://web-ellion.blogspot.com/

30 Jan 2008 14:01:31
Walter Mitty
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

simon s-b <baittrap@gmail.com > writes:

> Whereas my criteria lead me to love players like Geordan Murphy and
> Matt Perry. First and foremost they have to have your utmost
> confidence when a high ball goes up. After that, the pace to tackle
> out wide, run nice angles and have a decent outside break.

What happened to Matt Perry? He was electric.

30 Jan 2008 13:45:40
didgerman
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

simon s-b wrote:
> On Jan 29, 8:32 pm, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>> Walter Mitty wrote:
>>> Which of the greats/memorable players shared that combo?
>>> Cullen? Check.
>>> Campese? Check.
>>> Robinson? Check.
>> Just not sure he has the timing to put in a big try stopping tackle that
>> players like Lewsey have. I like fullbacks that you can rely on as
>> ultimate stoppers, fucking big Gandalf types 'you shall not pass' and
>> all that. That's the first quality for me anyway.
>>

> Whereas my criteria lead me to love players like Geordan Murphy and
> Matt Perry. First and foremost they have to have your utmost
> confidence when a high ball goes up. After that, the pace to tackle
> out wide, run nice angles and have a decent outside break.

That's wingers' work in the Didg 15....

>>> Positions most dangerous IMO? Fullback (ok Wing too, but step not so
>>> important there IMO for putting opponents away and leaving them for dust).
>> But he does have a terrific step which is hard to use at full gallop, so
>> it'd be somewhat wasted. Also I don't think he's old enough to want the
>> do or die JPR type charge into the line.
>>
>> We should generate broken play, ship the ball to him {or a good kicking
>> 12} and get a wing on his shoulder. If we can do that to the oppo whilst
>> their usual def' patterns aren't formed, then we'd be in the black. I'd
>> have thought also, that uber stepping Tait would work well against the
>> new Gatland/Osprey alliance and its rush defence mantra.
>> Still, wtf do I know....
>>

> Has Tait played Wales since that orange bloke made a name for himself?

No. Sadly this was going to be the re-match, and I bet Tait would've
been well up for it. That orange guy is there for the taking, and I hope
that we run at him and Hook as route one.

31 Jan 2008 08:00:19
simon s-b
Re: Tait: You have to wonder....

On Jan 30, 1:01=A0pm, Walter Mitty <mitti...@gmail.com > wrote:
> simon s-b <baitt...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Whereas my criteria lead me to love players like Geordan Murphy and
> > Matt Perry. First and foremost they have to have your utmost
> > confidence when a high ball goes up. After that, the pace to tackle
> > out wide, run nice angles and have a decent outside break.
>
> What happened to Matt Perry? He was electric.

Balshaw and Robinson, and a heap of injuries - he retired last season.
He started in the colts (U19) with me when I was 17 and he was only 12
or so. Personally I blame that for his long run of injury. He was a
tiny but such a speedster that they put him in. Scored some great
tries, never backed away from a tackle, but ultimately took some
massive hits. I think the laws have changed now to forbid this gap.