28 Jan 2004 17:14:00
didgerman
R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
poor heart gave way.
He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
queen', he'll be happier now.
Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.

28 Jan 2004 19:55:23
Walter Mitty
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com > brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in news:p5SRb.12698$YV1.8245@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net he
conjectured that:

> Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> poor heart gave way.
> He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
> sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> queen', he'll be happier now.
> Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.

http://tinyurl.com/2lvb3

Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what Nigel
thinks?

28 Jan 2004 19:23:58
didgerman
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> brightened my day with his
incisive wit
> when in news:p5SRb.12698$YV1.8245@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net he
> conjectured that:
>
> > Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> > poor heart gave way.
> > He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in
the
> > sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> > queen', he'll be happier now.
> > Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> > heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/2lvb3
>
> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what
Nigel
> thinks?

Well, he won't be getting anymore miserable that's for sure.....

28 Jan 2004 20:37:04
~#Bluebird#~
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what Nigel
> thinks?

I don't give a toss if you want to appoint a either a drug dealer or someone
who thinks that being a drug dealer is an impressive claim,as your captain

28 Jan 2004 21:30:23
DaveyWavey
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:37:04 -0000, "~#Bluebird#~"
<iaminthekillfile@haha.com > wrote:

>> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what Nigel
>> thinks?
>
>I don't give a toss if you want to appoint a either a drug dealer or someone
>who thinks that being a drug dealer is an impressive claim,as your captain

Excellent. I'll remember that you don't give a toss about this the
next time you bring it up.

For what it's worth, I also couldn't give a toss. Not about Dallaglio
becoming captain, but about the whole drug dealing (or not drug
dealing) thing. Frankly, long as he serves his team well on the field,
he can be a male prostitute in his spare time for all I care.

But that is the big question - will he serve his team well on the
field? I thought he was a reasonable captain when he last held that
role, but I have to say that his playing form has been fairly variable
of late.

28 Jan 2004 22:43:25
The Green Phantom
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

DaveyWavey wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:37:04 -0000, "~#Bluebird#~"
> <iaminthekillfile@haha.com> wrote:
>

>>> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what Nigel
>>> thinks?
>>
>>I don't give a toss if you want to appoint a either a drug dealer or
>>someone who thinks that being a drug dealer is an impressive claim,as your
>>captain
>>

> Excellent. I'll remember that you don't give a toss about this the
> next time you bring it up.
>
> For what it's worth, I also couldn't give a toss. Not about Dallaglio
> becoming captain, but about the whole drug dealing (or not drug
> dealing) thing. Frankly, long as he serves his team well on the field,
> he can be a male prostitute in his spare time for all I care.

Really? I'm surprised. Personally I think his actions in the past,
irrespective of what Ferdi, or anyone else says on the subject, have been
disreputable enough to bar him from this position. I agree that he has no
criminal record, he does however have a very unsavoury record. Not really
what you want to see in someone in such a representative position.

> But that is the big question - will he serve his team well on the
> field? I thought he was a reasonable captain when he last held that
> role, but I have to say that his playing form has been fairly variable
> of late.

Fair comment. TBH I thought he was starting to improve though.

regards

The Green Phantom
--
How can you do 'New Math' problems with an 'Old Math' mind?
-- Charles Schulz

29 Jan 2004 13:41:22
Alan Luchetti
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> poor heart gave way.
> He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
> sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> queen', he'll be happier now.
> Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.

Bos, Rick, now Ferdi. What's with all this ad hom crap ?

29 Jan 2004 15:17:48
Will Sutton
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> poor heart gave way.
> He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
> sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> queen', he'll be happier now.
> Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.

RIP

I will have a beer for you

29 Jan 2004 07:49:31
didgerman
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Alan Luchetti" <luchettii@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> > poor heart gave way.
> > He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in
the
> > sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> > queen', he'll be happier now.
> > Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> > heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.
>
> Bos, Rick, now Ferdi. What's with all this ad hom crap ?

Middle of the week: quiet patch....

29 Jan 2004 09:40:47
Nigel Evans
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> brightened my day with his incisive wit
> when in news:p5SRb.12698$YV1.8245@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net he
> conjectured that:
>
> > Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
> > poor heart gave way.
> > He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
> > sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> > queen', he'll be happier now.
> > Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
> > heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/2lvb3
>
> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what Nigel
> thinks?

Dallaglio is the obvious choice. Any nonsense written about him in our
tabloids should have no bearing on the captaincy question. My understanding
is that he has been appointed for one game only and that the post will be
kept under review. It's probably too early for England to put a player in
the job with a view to keeping as captain until the next World Cup, so, as I
said, he is the most suitable man at this time. England will start losing
this year and he will leave just after the results start going wrong.
England will appoint a spanking new captain who will lead them to the next
World Cup competition. And, the poor bugger will go down in history as the
man who lost the Cup.

29 Jan 2004 09:50:48
Nigel Evans
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"DaveyWavey" <davey.wavey@dont.bother.trying.to.email.me > wrote in message

> For what it's worth, I also couldn't give a toss. Not about Dallaglio
> becoming captain, but about the whole drug dealing (or not drug
> dealing) thing. Frankly, long as he serves his team well on the field,
> he can be a male prostitute in his spare time for all I care.

I am reminded of the time when a centre ran up to me and whispered, " Nigel,
ther's a homosexual in this team. If you give me a kiss, I'll tell you who
it is".

29 Jan 2004 02:41:21
Ian Diddams
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"~#Bluebird#~" <iaminthekillfile@haha.com > wrote in message news:<40180ef4$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...

> I don't give a toss if you want to appoint a either a drug dealer or someone
> who thinks that being a drug dealer is an impressive claim,as your captain

I don't believe DG has claimed that being a drug dealer is impressive.

Unless you have some evidence to the contrary of course.

didds

29 Jan 2004 02:59:24
Ian Diddams
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

The Green Phantom <ask@the.right.time > wrote in message news:<dWWRb.28661$qx2.3384646@stones.force9.net>...

> Really? I'm surprised. Personally I think his actions in the past,
> irrespective of what Ferdi, or anyone else says on the subject, have been
> disreputable enough to bar him from this position. I agree that he has no
> criminal record, he does however have a very unsavoury record. Not really
> what you want to see in someone in such a representative position.

So - damned for life (or certainly at the age of 32 (?)) for something
allegedly done in his mid-teens eh TGP? C'mon... the DG of today is
I would suggest a very different person from that that teenager. In
the same way that the mid-40s copant director is proabably a very
different person tomthe 14 year old car theif. Or the middle-aged
actress is a very different person to the 18 year old centre-spread.

If you condemn people for life for teenage stupidity, what should we
be doing with those that committed crimes extremely recently...
stealing taxis or beating people up. Or those that murdered one of
their farm workers? Should THEY be selected at all given the
recentness of their crime?

When do you draw the line... and where do you draw it? Is assault
aged 28 a lesser crime than drug dealing at 17, when you are aged 32?

didds

> > But that is the big question - will he serve his team well on the
> > field? I thought he was a reasonable captain when he last held that
> > role, but I have to say that his playing form has been fairly variable
> > of late.
>
> Fair comment. TBH I thought he was starting to improve though.
>
> regards
>
> The Green Phantom

29 Jan 2004 11:09:32
Groundhog
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Nigel Evans" <nigel@tingtongfarang.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message

> "DaveyWavey" <davey.wavey@dont.bother.trying.to.email.me> wrote in message
>
> > For what it's worth, I also couldn't give a toss. Not about Dallaglio
> > becoming captain, but about the whole drug dealing (or not drug
> > dealing) thing. Frankly, long as he serves his team well on the field,
> > he can be a male prostitute in his spare time for all I care.
> >

> I am reminded of the time when a centre ran up to me and whispered, "
Nigel,
> ther's a homosexual in this team. If you give me a kiss, I'll tell you who
> it is".

So you kissed him, right ? ;)

29 Jan 2004 11:13:05
Groundhog
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Ian Diddams" <didds2@excite.com > wrote in message

> I don't believe DG has claimed that being a drug dealer is impressive.

Well, strictly speaking, he argued he said it to "impress" the journalist,
so implicitly he must have believed it was "impressive" to certain people.

OMG !!! I just supported Bluetit again !!! WTF?!? It must be the cold
weather.

29 Jan 2004 12:14:05
Walter Mitty
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Nigel Evans" <nigel@tingtongfarang.freeserve.co.uk > brightened my day
with his incisive wit when in
news:4018d529$0$215$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk he conjectured that:

> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> brightened my day with his
>> incisive wit when in
>> news:p5SRb.12698$YV1.8245@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net he
>> conjectured that:
>>
>> > Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain Ferdi's
>> > poor heart gave way.
>> > He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in the
>> > sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
>> > queen', he'll be happier now.
>> > Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when the
>> > heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.
>> >

>> http://tinyurl.com/2lvb3
>>
>> Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what
>> Nigel thinks?
>
> Dallaglio is the obvious choice. Any nonsense written about him in our
> tabloids should have no bearing on the captaincy question.

I'd have thought having an England Captain that even got the slighted bit
involved in Cocaine etc in the past is way off the mark. He's also an
arrogant smug bastard. I'd preferred to have seen Hill get it fwiw.

29 Jan 2004 12:43:30
~#Bluebird#~
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

> So - damned for life (or certainly at the age of 32 (?)) for something
> allegedly done in his mid-teens eh TGP?

I would agree with this, I'm 32 myself and did stuff way back that, yes, I
would have to say I regret. But that's the difference, I *do* regret it, I
don't go bragging to complete strangers about it to 'impress them'

29 Jan 2004 12:18:32
didgerman
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

"Nigel Evans" <nigel@tingtongfarang.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message

> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> brightened my day with his
incisive wit
> > when in news:p5SRb.12698$YV1.8245@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net he
> > conjectured that:
> >
> > > Alas, with the naming of the new {and old} England captain
Ferdi's
> > > poor heart gave way.
> > > He's gone to a better place, that old military training camp in
the
> > > sky. Eternal grovelling in the mud to the tune of 'god save the
> > > queen', he'll be happier now.
> > > Just be sure that you don't admit to being a drug dealer when
the
> > > heavenly hooker calls on you Ferds old chap.
> > >

> > http://tinyurl.com/2lvb3
> >
> > Yup, himself and BlewTit are gonna have a seizure. I wonder what
Nigel
> > thinks?
>
> Dallaglio is the obvious choice. Any nonsense written about him in
our
> tabloids should have no bearing on the captaincy question. My
understanding
> is that he has been appointed for one game only and that the post
will be
> kept under review. It's probably too early for England to put a
player in
> the job with a view to keeping as captain until the next World Cup,
so, as I
> said, he is the most suitable man at this time. England will start
losing
> this year and he will leave just after the results start going
wrong.
> England will appoint a spanking new captain who will lead them to
the next
> World Cup competition. And, the poor bugger will go down in history
as the
> man who lost the Cup.

Hmmm, bit grim isn't it? I think Dally will be there until after the
Autumn games, if there are any... That means the whole 6N and the trip
down south.
There's a lot of work to be done there and all the players involved
will come out the better for it. As for starting to lose, nothing has
changed, we'll go into every game with as good a chance of winning as
anybody else.
I can't see Dally lasting until the next WC though, although he
probably could if he was totally devoted to it above all else. I
reckon he'll get us through the immediate hard times, and then we'll
swap again, maybe after the Lions tour.

29 Jan 2004 16:05:10
The Green Phantom
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

Ian Diddams wrote:

> The Green Phantom <ask@the.right.time> wrote in message
>
>> Really? I'm surprised. Personally I think his actions in the past,
>> irrespective of what Ferdi, or anyone else says on the subject, have been
>> disreputable enough to bar him from this position. I agree that he has
>> no
>> criminal record, he does however have a very unsavoury record. Not
>> really what you want to see in someone in such a representative position.
>
> So - damned for life (or certainly at the age of 32 (?)) for something
> allegedly done in his mid-teens eh TGP?

I take your point entirely and I acknowledge that I may be a bit old
fashioned in such matters. I have certainly argued the other way in the
case of characters who have spent some time on a porage diet and since gone
straight.

I just feel very uneasy about it all. Maybe in the same way that Gavyn
Davies wasn't responsible for the editorial blunder at the BBC,
nevertheless he fell on his sword.

Dalaglio has been able to stay in the team and enjoy the fruits of his
efforts.

> C'mon... the DG of today is
> I would suggest a very different person from that that teenager.

I don't think he was a teenager when he was 'stung' by the NOW was he?

[...]
> If you condemn people for life for teenage stupidity, what should we
> be doing with those that committed crimes extremely recently...
> stealing taxis or beating people up. Or those that murdered one of
> their farm workers? Should THEY be selected at all given the
> recentness of their crime?

I think that if you do something, are charged formally and pay your debt to
society, then like it or lump it you come out as a new person, your future
conduct is what counts - for the most part.

DGs case is ambiguous on the grounds that no charges were laid and it is all
innuendo (whatever Italian suppositories have to do with this). I stress
that this is my personal view, DG shouldn't have been appointed.

> When do you draw the line... and where do you draw it? Is assault
> aged 28 a lesser crime than drug dealing at 17, when you are aged 32?

Not quite certain where this one is going? I'd certainly give a 17 year old
more benefit of the doubt than a 28 year old if that helps.

regards

The Green Phantom
--
The people of Gideon have always believed that life is sacred. That
the love of life is the greatest gift ... We are incapable of

29 Jan 2004 17:48:57
John Hill
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:14:05 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

>> Dallaglio is the obvious choice. Any nonsense written about him in our
>> tabloids should have no bearing on the captaincy question.
>
>I'd have thought having an England Captain that even got the slighted bit
>involved in Cocaine etc in the past is way off the mark. He's also an
>arrogant smug bastard. I'd preferred to have seen Hill get it fwiw.

But these are unproven allegations from the News of the World FFS

JH

29 Jan 2004 20:07:20
Walter Mitty
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

John Hill <john@recruitcrm.co.uk > brightened my day with his incisive
wit when in news:frhi105l1vftmb1es91396erql7fu94i2b@4ax.com he
conjectured that:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:14:05 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Dallaglio is the obvious choice. Any nonsense written about him in
>>> our tabloids should have no bearing on the captaincy question.
>>
>>I'd have thought having an England Captain that even got the slighted
>>bit involved in Cocaine etc in the past is way off the mark. He's also
>>an arrogant smug bastard. I'd preferred to have seen Hill get it fwiw.
>

> But these are unproven allegations from the News of the World FFS

My memory is hazy : but I thought he came "clean" (play on words hahaha)
and admitted it all. if unproven then I retract the drugs bit, but not the
arrogant smug bit.

29 Jan 2004 21:07:20
~#Bluebird#~
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

> My memory is hazy : but I thought he came "clean" (play on words hahaha)
> and admitted it all. if unproven then I retract the drugs bit, but not the
> arrogant smug bit.

He admitted telling the journos he'd dealt in drugs and taken them, and his
defence was that he thought they'd be impressed by it.

30 Jan 2004 09:14:02
John Hill
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:07:20 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

>>>I'd have thought having an England Captain that even got the slighted
>>>bit involved in Cocaine etc in the past is way off the mark. He's also
>>>an arrogant smug bastard. I'd preferred to have seen Hill get it fwiw.
>>

>> But these are unproven allegations from the News of the World FFS
>>

>My memory is hazy : but I thought he came "clean" (play on words hahaha)
>and admitted it all. if unproven then I retract the drugs bit, but not the
>arrogant smug bit.

Oh arrogant,smug - or more precisely arrogant mug was very much
appropriate 4 years ago. Far less so now. He's grown up a lot. AIUI he
was trying to get inside her knickers and was young and cocky (pun
intended) and a bit pissed.

JH

31 Jan 2004 10:34:19
DaveyWavey
Re: R.I.P Ferdi Greyling

>[...]
>> If you condemn people for life for teenage stupidity, what should we
>> be doing with those that committed crimes extremely recently...
>> stealing taxis or beating people up. Or those that murdered one of
>> their farm workers? Should THEY be selected at all given the
>> recentness of their crime?
>
>I think that if you do something, are charged formally and pay your debt to
>society, then like it or lump it you come out as a new person, your future
>conduct is what counts - for the most part.
>
>DGs case is ambiguous on the grounds that no charges were laid and it is all
>innuendo (whatever Italian suppositories have to do with this). I stress
>that this is my personal view, DG shouldn't have been appointed.

My point was that I believe sportsmen should be appointed based on
their sporting ability, not their off-the-field behaviour. Although I
accept that this is a view that many others don't share...