29 Jul 2003 22:03:28
Simon
Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

It seems that if NZs rugby players don't sign the RWC Ltd participation
agreement by Thursday the IRB will impose sanctions against the NZRFU
which may include dropping New Zealand outright from the Rugby World Cup.

Negotiations on behalf of the NZ players are being conducted by the
executive director of the NZRPA, Mr Rob Nichol.

Nichol is well known to Kiwis for the Cricket players' strike he
engineered last year. His style was so confrontational (and in many
people's opinion; demands so unreasonable) that eventually two of the Kiwi
international players, (Cairns and Fleming) blaming Nichol for the impasse
with NZ cricket, replaced him in the talks themselves.

I don't think that Mr Nichol has the best interests of New Zealand rugby
at heart, nor those of the players. It distresses me that he is exposing
us to another debacle like the loss of the RWC sub-hosting rights.

If it all goes pear shaped and (god forbid) the All Blacks do not play at
this year's RWC, I think that Mr Nichol will be the primary culprit.

http://www.akintermedia.co.nz/contactus.htm

New Zealand Rugby Players Association Inc.

Rob Nichol
DD: + 64 9 520 6667
Fax: + 64 9 520 6665
Mobile: + 64 21 677 505
rob.nichol@nzrpa.co.nz

P.O.Box 2810
Shortland Street
Auckland
New Zealand

29 Jul 2003 22:10:13
Kip
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:03:28 +0100, "Simon" <nospam@no.spam > wrote:

>http://www.akintermedia.co.nz/contactus.htm
>
>New Zealand Rugby Players Association Inc.
>
>Rob Nichol
>DD: + 64 9 520 6667
>Fax: + 64 9 520 6665
>Mobile: + 64 21 677 505
>rob.nichol@nzrpa.co.nz
>
>P.O.Box 2810
>Shortland Street
>Auckland
>New Zealand

That's fucking superb, I'm writing to these clowns RIGHT NOW. Fucking
brilliant, I should be on their 'block sender' list by this time
tomorrow...

Fuck and I just heard a player agent on the radio with this quote;

"The union are saying that the IRB could ban them if the players don't
sign by thursday, that's just ridiculous, the world cup without the
ABs would just be a disaster.."

That's the INCOMPETENCE that the union has to deal with, utter fucking
MORONS. "We couldn't possibly lose our hosting rights, we're New
Zealand, they'll just bend over and kiss our assess"

29 Jul 2003 11:23:39
Nigel Evans

"Kip" <rkippenberger@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:03:28 +0100, "Simon" <nospam@no.spam> wrote:

> That's fucking superb, I'm writing to these clowns RIGHT NOW. Fucking
> brilliant, I should be on their 'block sender' list by this time
> tomorrow...

That's the difficulty you have when you live at the other end of the world.
I was fully aware of all this when you were in your beds yesterday but
refrained from mentioning it so as not to provoke hostility between North
and South. It seems that all the rugby nations of the world, barring New
Zealand, can find their way to signing. Why do New Zealand always have to be
different ? Why do they think they are so special ?

> Fuck and I just heard a player agent on the radio with this quote;
>
> "The union are saying that the IRB could ban them if the players don't
> sign by thursday, that's just ridiculous, the world cup without the
> ABs would just be a disaster.."

It would be a disaster for New Zealand but all the other rugby nations could
learn tol live with it easily. It's time you all grew up and acted like
responsible adults.

> That's the INCOMPETENCE that the union has to deal with, utter fucking
> MORONS. "We couldn't possibly lose our hosting rights, we're New
> Zealand, they'll just bend over and kiss our assess"

It's not so much incompetence as arrogance. Time is running out. Whilst New
Zealanders are asleep moves are already afoot to select New Zealand's
replacements. I think Holland should be invited to play in Pool D, but
popular opinion here suggests that China is the preffered country.

29 Jul 2003 12:34:53
Sean Byrne

Nigel Evans wrote:

> "Simon" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>
>> It seems that if NZs rugby players don't sign the RWC Ltd
>> participation agreement by Thursday the IRB will impose sanctions
>> against the NZRFU which may include dropping New Zealand outright
>> from the Rugby World Cup.
>
> What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander ! New Zealand's
> rugby team is no more important than Namibia's or Georgia's. Other
> teams have followed the spirit of "a world in union" and wish to play
> their part in a celebration of rugby. All the New Zealand players seem
> to want is money in their pockets. Where has their pride in wearing
> the Black shirt gone ? They must not be allowed to hold the tournament
> to ransom. They must sign now or leave.
>
>> I don't think that Mr Nichol has the best interests of New Zealand
>> rugby at heart, nor those of the players. It distresses me that he is
>> exposing us to another debacle like the loss of the RWC sub-hosting
>> rights.
>
> This is unfair to Mr Nicholls. He is a good man

<snip >

> Grossly unfair ! You besmirch the name of a good man who is only
> trying his best to help others. Shame on you !

How exactly do you know what sort of man Nicholls is?

Later,
Sean

>> http://www.akintermedia.co.nz/contactus.htm
>>
>> New Zealand Rugby Players Association Inc.
>>
>> Rob Nichol
>> DD: + 64 9 520 6667
>> Fax: + 64 9 520 6665
>> Mobile: + 64 21 677 505
>> rob.nichol@nzrpa.co.nz
>>
>> P.O.Box 2810
>> Shortland Street
>> Auckland
>> New Zealand

29 Jul 2003 12:43:31
Nigel Evans

"Sean Byrne" <byrne_sean_spamtrap_ @hotmail.com > wrote in message

> How exactly do you know what sort of man Nicholls is?

I know that he should not be libelled. Just because someone wants something
that I don't want isn't good enough reason for defaming him.

29 Jul 2003 14:16:57
Ali
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

> It would be a disaster for New Zealand but all the other rugby nations
could
> learn tol live with it easily. It's time you all grew up and acted like
> responsible adults.

Sorry I have to disagree, a world cup with out the AB's is like a whore
house with out tarts. Can you imagine how shallow a victory it would be
without having the one of the top teams there. And four years of, well we
would have won the world cup if we were there. Unbearable.

Cheers

Ali
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

> > Sorry I have to disagree, a world cup with out the AB's is like a whore
> > house with out tarts. Can you imagine how shallow a victory it would be
> > without having the one of the top teams there. And four years of, well
we
> > would have won the world cup if we were there. Unbearable.
> > Cheers
>
> You cannot dictate to the rest of the world. Comply or go away. England
have
> just beaten New Zealand. At least, everybody in the real world saw it that
> way. The tournament might even be better without them. At least it would
> spare us all the excuses when they lose.

And as we all know, the november match was a development team, and the last
match was a fluke that if you look at it carefully the AB's actually won.

I don't give a shit about the excuses made by some one-eyed morons on a NG,
OK I bite every now and then but they're irrelevant. And if England make it
through the group stages, and make it possibly past Wales, and possibly
through to the final and win without having had to have faced New Zealand,
then what a shallow victory it would be.

Can you imagine four years of kiwi, "Its not your world cup we would have
beaten you easily."

It doesn't matter it all hypothetical, they will sign. Can you imagine the
furore in NZ if they didn't. The gallows would be out and public executions
would begin tout de suite.

Cheers

Groundhog

"Ali" <Alasdair.Day@NOSPAMcern.ch > wrote in message

> And as we all know, the november match was a development team, and the
last
> match was a fluke that if you look at it carefully the AB's actually won.

Er, no m8, I think if you look at it carefully you'll find that England won
!! If you cross your eyes (difficult with only one, I appreciate) you can
just about get the numbers to read the other way round - maybe that's what
you mean by carefully ?

> It doesn't matter it all hypothetical, they will sign. Can you imagine the
> furore in NZ if they didn't. The gallows would be out and public
executions
> would begin tout de suite.

Ah - now that I can agree with. I also agree that if England (or any other
team for that matter) win the RWC without NZ being there it will be a hollow
victory. The last two Eng victories over NZ are not relevant - NZ needs to
be there in November.

29 Jul 2003 20:29:34
DC

Ali wrote:

> ... Can you imagine how shallow a victory it would be
> without having the one of the top teams there.

Just as shallow a victory as when South Africa wasn't playing in the
World Cup? (Hmmm... wasn't that the the case the only time NZ managed to
win so far?)

DC

PS I am *NOT* saying SA *WOULD* have won in 87 or 91.

30 Jul 2003 07:55:32
Rodger Donaldson
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:03:28 +0100, Simon <nospam@no.spam > wrote:

>If it all goes pear shaped and (god forbid) the All Blacks do not play at
>this year's RWC, I think that Mr Nichol will be the primary culprit.

In which case he'd best leave the country.

For England, who will the win the cup virtually unopposed on current
form.

--
Rodger Donaldson rodgerd@diaspora.gen.nz

30 Jul 2003 12:27:06
Andrew Dunford
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

"Simon" <nospam@no.spam > wrote in message
> It seems that if NZs rugby players don't sign the RWC Ltd participation
> agreement by Thursday the IRB will impose sanctions against the NZRFU
> which may include dropping New Zealand outright from the Rugby World Cup.
>
> Negotiations on behalf of the NZ players are being conducted by the
> executive director of the NZRPA, Mr Rob Nichol.
>
> Nichol is well known to Kiwis for the Cricket players' strike he
> engineered last year. His style was so confrontational (and in many
> people's opinion; demands so unreasonable) that eventually two of the Kiwi
> international players, (Cairns and Fleming) blaming Nichol for the impasse
> with NZ cricket, replaced him in the talks themselves.

Fleming (as captain) had loyalties to both sides, and didn't want to be seen
to be involved directly himself, so got Christopher Doig to step in as the
middle man.

At the time I thought that Nichol had seriously misjudged the cricket
market: I assumed this was because his relevant experience lay mostly in
running the NZRPA. However I'm now developing a strong sense of deja vu.

<snip >

Andrew

31 Jul 2003 10:42:36
Ali

news:<bg5ojo$dc8$1@sunnews.cern.ch >...

> > Sorry I have to disagree, a world cup with out the AB's is like a whore
> > house with out tarts. Can you imagine how shallow a victory it would be
> > without having the one of the top teams there.
>
> So presumably the AB RWC win in 1987, and the Aus win in 1991 were
> shallow ones because South Africa wasn't involved?
>
> > And four years of, well we
> > would have won the world cup if we were there. Unbearable.
>

> I do believe Luis Luyt said exactly that.
>
> Now there's a thing. I presume you must agree with him?

And you presume wrong.

The analogy is a little bit thin, when you take professionalism, that fact
that they has sanctions due to apartheid, and not because the wanted to line
their pockets with a little bit more.

OK its hypothetical as they have signed and will be turning up, but are you
saying it wouldn't matter if they weren't there, or you couldn't give a
toss?

Cheers

Nigel Evans

> OK its hypothetical as they have signed and will be turning up, but are
you
> saying it wouldn't matter if they weren't there, or you couldn't give a
> toss?

Please excuse my interruption. For my part both apply. All I'm hoping for is
that I don't have to listen to Australian or New Zealand commentators and
that we can have some nice cultured people to do the TV broadcasts.

31 Jul 2003 17:02:35
Ali
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

> > The analogy is a little bit thin, when you take professionalism, that
fact
> > that they has sanctions due to apartheid, and not because the wanted to
line
> > their pockets with a little bit more.
>
> ????????

Don't question mark me like that !#%*^%()
Sorry about that, was hungover this morning when I got into the orifice, had
problems speaking let alone writing a coherent sentence.
(no need for the nothing new jokes - too easy)

> Surely the net result was the same whatever the reason? That is,
> that arguably a leading rugby nation was not at the RWCs in 1987 and
> 1991.
>
> I am asking if that devalues those competitions as you claim the lack
> of the ABs at this RWC to come would devalue that.
>
> Its a hypothetical question.

OK a hypothetical answer. I don't think it did de-value the competition at
the time to the same degree that loosing the AB's would have done today. The
SA's weren't pulled off the world stage overnight three months before a
world cup was due to start, they had been off the rugby world stage for
sometime (83-84??) playing only against the cavaliers, and a world squad,
before they came back in 92, the old adage out of site out of mind, springs
to mind.
OK they were missed in alot of quarters, but the Kiwi's have played, they
played last week, and the week before, people have watched them recently and
do want to see them play in the world cup. Then to suddenly take, arguably
the favorite for the world cup, out of the competition would, I feel,
devalue it at this late stage.

The All Blacks are most probably the most recognisable rugby team in the
world, they are I would imagine the most marketed, and outside of supporting
most peoples home national team, they do come a good second as the team most
people want to watch. Also they are a bunch of prema donnas.

So in simple, yes, I do believe that the AB's not playing would have had
greater impact or would have de-valued the world cup more.

Cheers

JD

"Nigel Evans" <nigel@tingtongfarang.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message news:<bg5hbn$lk3$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> "Simon" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>
> > It seems that if NZs rugby players don't sign the RWC Ltd participation
> > agreement by Thursday the IRB will impose sanctions against the NZRFU
> > which may include dropping New Zealand outright from the Rugby World Cup.
>
> What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander ! New Zealand's rugby
> team is no more important than Namibia's or Georgia's. Other teams have
> followed the spirit of "a world in union" and wish to play their part in a
> celebration of rugby. All the New Zealand players seem to want is money in
> their pockets.

Fucking hell you're pathetic. Where was your indignation about the
Australians, who stand to gain almost three times what the ABs will
get?

01 Aug 2003 12:55:11
BrentC
Re: Possible IRB ban on All Blacks participation in RWC

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:24:29 +0100, "Nigel Evans"
<nigel@tingtongfarang.freeserve.co.uk > wrote:

>"Ali" <Alasdair.Day@NOSPAMcern.ch> wrote in message
>>
>> OK its hypothetical as they have signed and will be turning up, but are
>you
>> saying it wouldn't matter if they weren't there, or you couldn't give a
>> toss?
>
>Please excuse my interruption. For my part both apply. All I'm hoping for is
>that I don't have to listen to Australian or New Zealand commentators and
>that we can have some nice cultured people to do the TV broadcasts.

A point we can agree on . NZ and Aus commentators spout biased and
clueless shit. They are the Murray Walkers of Rugby - just not as
funny.

New rule for the RWC - only Scots and Welsh commentators - please!

Brentc

remove the obvious to email