29 Dec 2006 14:54:05
Glasgow - Borders spoiler

Try scored in the last seconds of injury time to take Glasgow to within
a point, conversion attempt from hard against the left hand touch line.
Up steps Dan Parks with his indominable spirit. He strikes the ball
sweet and true

Glasgow 20 - Borders 19

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

To say the Glasgow players were elated to have come out of this
crunching game, in a howling gale and thunderous rain with the points
would be as to underplay it as to say the Borders where simply
shattered after they thought they'd sealed the game 5 minutes earlier
with a try and conversion.

I think this is a new Glasgow side, a side with, with, dare I say it, I
almost can't, I'm going to: Stern Mental Resolve. Their last two away
games have been won by a single point. You can't go winning games by a
single point if you lack the mental will. Glasgow clearly were
outplayed at the breakdown and penalised at almost every scrum in the
first half, then harshly got a player yellowed early in the second yet
they never, they never let their heads drop, loose focus nor ever stop
trying to win.

--
Alistair Hutton

30 Dec 2006 10:27:48
The Green Phantom
Re: Glasgow - Borders spoiler

aardvark5000@yahoo.com wrote:
> Try scored in the last seconds of injury time to take Glasgow to within
> a point, conversion attempt from hard against the left hand touch line.
> Up steps Dan Parks with his indominable spirit. He strikes the ball
> sweet and true
>
> Glasgow 20 - Borders 19
>
> YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Not to take too much away from Glasgow here but haven't Borders been the
rugby equivalent of St Dunstan's this season?

> To say the Glasgow players were elated to have come out of this
> crunching game, in a howling gale and thunderous rain with the points
> would be as to underplay it as to say the Borders where simply
> shattered after they thought they'd sealed the game 5 minutes earlier
> with a try and conversion.
>
> I think this is a new Glasgow side, a side with, with, dare I say it, I
> almost can't, I'm going to: Stern Mental Resolve. Their last two away
> games have been won by a single point. You can't go winning games by a
> single point if you lack the mental will. Glasgow clearly were
> outplayed at the breakdown and penalised at almost every scrum in the
> first half, then harshly got a player yellowed early in the second yet
> they never, they never let their heads drop, loose focus nor ever stop
> trying to win.

So you think Lineen has finally got them playing to their potential?
After all, on paper they look good. For a few phases of play, they look
good. For a complete game they often look like dilettantes.

It would be nice to think that Glasgow are going to start challenging
Edinburgh for the premier Scottish team place.

regards

The Green Phantom

02 Jan 2007 02:55:03
Re: Glasgow - Borders spoiler

The Green Phantom wrote:

> Not to take too much away from Glasgow here but haven't Borders been the
> rugby equivalent of St Dunstan's this season?

Aye, but in seasons gone past Glasgow have travelled away to play some
right shit: Cross Keys; Ebbw Vale; Caerphilly; Cardiff and lost. This
time they travelled and won, and they showed character in doing so.

> So you think Lineen has finally got them playing to their potential?

Not yet, there's still a good chunk of improvement left in this team
(or at least I hope so, all but 3 player are under 30 and the majority
are under 26), with some time to bed down combinations, the second row
to fully come to fruition, the constant maturation of the back-row from
callow youths to proven battlers, this looks like a team that will be
able to do something in, say 3 seasons time. At least I hope so.

> It would be nice to think that Glasgow are going to start challenging
> Edinburgh for the premier Scottish team place.

5 seasons ago Glagow were the top Scottish team, in the Heiniken Cup
when Glasgow went to play Northampton it was almost the entrie Scotland
international team on display. It wasthe moment wen Blackadder went to
Edinburgh (after being scouted by the Glasgow team) that the grotesque
favouritism was shown that catapulted Edinburgh up the rankings.

--
Alistair

02 Jan 2007 11:21:26
didgerman
Re: Glasgow - Borders spoiler

aardvark5000@yahoo.com wrote:
> The Green Phantom wrote:
>> Not to take too much away from Glasgow here but haven't Borders been the
>> rugby equivalent of St Dunstan's this season?
>
> Aye, but in seasons gone past Glasgow have travelled away to play some
> right shit: Cross Keys; Ebbw Vale; Caerphilly; Cardiff and lost. This
> time they travelled and won, and they showed character in doing so.
>
>> So you think Lineen has finally got them playing to their potential?
>
> Not yet, there's still a good chunk of improvement left in this team
> (or at least I hope so, all but 3 player are under 30 and the majority
> are under 26), with some time to bed down combinations, the second row
> to fully come to fruition, the constant maturation of the back-row from
> callow youths to proven battlers, this looks like a team that will be
> able to do something in, say 3 seasons time. At least I hope so.
>

>> It would be nice to think that Glasgow are going to start challenging
>> Edinburgh for the premier Scottish team place.
>>

> 5 seasons ago Glagow were the top Scottish team, in the Heiniken Cup
> when Glasgow went to play Northampton it was almost the entrie Scotland
> international team on display. It wasthe moment wen Blackadder went to
> Edinburgh (after being scouted by the Glasgow team) that the grotesque
> favouritism was shown that catapulted Edinburgh up the rankings.

Favouritism? Surely not......

> --
> Alistair

02 Jan 2007 16:52:53
The Green Phantom
Re: Glasgow - Borders spoiler

didgerman wrote:
> aardvark5000@yahoo.com wrote:

[...]

>> 5 seasons ago Glagow were the top Scottish team, in the Heiniken Cup
>> when Glasgow went to play Northampton it was almost the entrie Scotland
>> international team on display. It wasthe moment wen Blackadder went to
>> Edinburgh (after being scouted by the Glasgow team) that the grotesque
>> favouritism was shown that catapulted Edinburgh up the rankings.
>
> Favouritism? Surely not......

How long have you been up here Didge? Or was that the sound of a whoosh
whizzing by my ears?

regards

The Green Phantom

02 Jan 2007 17:02:48
didgerman
Re: Glasgow - Borders spoiler

The Green Phantom wrote:
> didgerman wrote:
>> aardvark5000@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> 5 seasons ago Glagow were the top Scottish team, in the Heiniken Cup
>>> when Glasgow went to play Northampton it was almost the entrie Scotland
>>> international team on display. It wasthe moment wen Blackadder went to
>>> Edinburgh (after being scouted by the Glasgow team) that the grotesque
>>> favouritism was shown that catapulted Edinburgh up the rankings.
>> Favouritism? Surely not......
>
> How long have you been up here Didge? Or was that the sound of a whoosh
> whizzing by my ears?

9 years, my god.....

There was a whoosh though....