29 May 2007 10:50:19
didds
English County Championship

OK - hands up... who has EVER attended an English County Championship
final?

And if you have, how full was Twicken ham for it?

(genuine enquiry).

didds

PS I have. Yesterday. watched by a few hundred at best.



29 May 2007 12:35:54
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On May 29, 7:50 pm, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> OK - hands up... who has EVER attended an English County Championship
> final?
>
> And if you have, how full was Twicken ham for it?
>
> (genuine enquiry).
>
> didds
>
> PS I have. Yesterday. watched by a few hundred at best.

Flicking through the regional channels on the satellite this evening,
I saw the victorious captain being interviewed on Spotlight West
(IIRC). So it was either Devon or Cornwall that won. It's usually
Cornwall so I'll go with them - am I right or a meringue?

UD



29 May 2007 12:41:56
didds
Re: English County Championship

On May 29, 8:35 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de > wrote:
It's usually
> Cornwall so I'll go with them - am I right or a meringue?


you are a baked egg white and sugar concoction.

Devon.

Videoed by our very own, Mr. S. Parrett.

didds



29 May 2007 12:50:43
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On May 29, 9:41 pm, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> On May 29, 8:35 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
> It's usually
>
> > Cornwall so I'll go with them - am I right or a meringue?
>
> you are a baked egg white and sugar concoction.
>
> Devon.
>
> Videoed by our very own, Mr. S. Parrett.

'Ee, them were 't'days...

Bet they were playing Cornwall though, eh? Eh?

UD



29 May 2007 13:00:47
didds
Re: English County Championship

On May 29, 8:50 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de > wrote:
> Bet they were playing Cornwall though, eh? Eh?
>
> UD

lancashire.

Please keep up with modern trends dave.

didds



29 May 2007 21:14:32
The Green Phantom
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On May 29, 8:35 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
> It's usually
>> Cornwall so I'll go with them - am I right or a meringue?
>
>
> you are a baked egg white and sugar concoction.
>
> Devon.
>
> Videoed by our very own, Mr. S. Parrett.

Good ole Steve

regards

The Green Phantom


29 May 2007 20:40:45
didgerman
Re: English County Championship

Uncle Dave wrote:
> On May 29, 7:50 pm, didds <did...@excite.com> wrote:
>> OK - hands up... who has EVER attended an English County Championship
>> final?
>>
>> And if you have, how full was Twicken ham for it?
>>
>> (genuine enquiry).
>>
>> didds
>>
>> PS I have. Yesterday. watched by a few hundred at best.
>
> Flicking through the regional channels on the satellite this evening,
> I saw the victorious captain being interviewed on Spotlight West
> (IIRC). So it was either Devon or Cornwall that won. It's usually
> Cornwall so I'll go with them - am I right or a meringue?
>
> UD
>

I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
Gah......


29 May 2007 21:41:52
Chris D
Re: English County Championship


"didds" <didds2@excite.com > wrote in message
news:1180461019.686522.66650@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> OK - hands up... who has EVER attended an English County Championship
> final?
>
> And if you have, how full was Twicken ham for it?
>
> (genuine enquiry).
>
> didds
>
> PS I have. Yesterday. watched by a few hundred at best.
>

Ahem, yes me too - though I seem to recall that for the last few years the
match has been part of some wider entertainment at HQ. Didn't yesterday's
county game follow the Saxons/ Scotland A game?

Similar theme, anyone got any idea of the kick-off times for the various
Churchill Cup games on Saturday?




29 May 2007 13:54:31
didds
Re: English County Championship

On 29 May, 21:41, "Chris D" <darve...@NOSPAM.btinternet.com > wrote:
> Ahem, yes me too - though I seem to recall that for the last few years the
> match has been part of some wider entertainment at HQ. Didn't yesterday's
> county game follow the Saxons/ Scotland A game?

Thats correct Chris. Not that the attendance at that A international
would have prevented potential coachloads of CC final watchers from
attending ;-)

didds



29 May 2007 13:58:12
didds
Re: English County Championship

On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com > wrote:

> I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
> How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
> You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
> Gah......

watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
finish for Devon's final try.

Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs
wrt the collapsing of the maul - and how to combat it. For those that
may be hoping the ELVs in this regard would stop mauling I have bad
news - if anything it seemed to mean mauls became even slower and more
grinding as the instigators worked at making sure the bal was very
well protected from any area that could be collapsed.

didds



29 May 2007 23:05:58
Chris D
Re: English County Championship


"didds" <didds2@excite.com > wrote in message
news:1180472292.603453.326450@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
>> How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
>> You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
>> Gah......
>
> watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
> kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
> finish for Devon's final try.
>
> Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs
> wrt the collapsing of the maul - and how to combat it. For those that
> may be hoping the ELVs in this regard would stop mauling I have bad
> news - if anything it seemed to mean mauls became even slower and more
> grinding as the instigators worked at making sure the bal was very
> well protected from any area that could be collapsed.
>
> didds
>

Watching the game on TV, the commentators, at times, seemed incredulous that
Lancs seemed to be making NO effort at all to bring down Devon's rolling
mauls. Rather they seemed to adopt the more traditional tactics - the
commentators seemed to imply that the Lancs team may have forgotten that the
ELVs applied.

Presumably, the ELVs only applied to the county games, so these guys were
going back, during the competition, to the old regime at their clubs?

BTW, I think I also heard mention that one of the Devon (?) players was
only 17 - do you know if that was correct?




30 May 2007 00:01:41
The Green Phantom
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
>> How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
>> You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
>> Gah......
>
> watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
> kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
> finish for Devon's final try.
>
> Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs
> wrt the collapsing of the maul - and how to combat it. For those that
> may be hoping the ELVs in this regard would stop mauling I have bad
> news - if anything it seemed to mean mauls became even slower and more
> grinding as the instigators worked at making sure the bal was very
> well protected from any area that could be collapsed.

Interesting.

Up here it seems to have had the effect of making the maul redundant. I
wonder what the reasoning is? In both cases.

I must make some enquiries of my local team.

regards

The Green Phantom


30 May 2007 07:29:00
rick boyd
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
>>How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
>>You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
>>Gah......
>
>
> watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
> kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
> finish for Devon's final try.
>
> Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs
> wrt the collapsing of the maul - and how to combat it. For those that
> may be hoping the ELVs in this regard would stop mauling I have bad
> news - if anything it seemed to mean mauls became even slower and more
> grinding as the instigators worked at making sure the bal was very
> well protected from any area that could be collapsed.

And what possible use is a slow and grinding rolling maul? It would
seemed inevitably destined for extinction.

-- rick boyd


29 May 2007 23:52:15
ruggeryoda
Re: English County Championship

> watch the jaapie devon 10.

Name? Send him down, we need him!

-R



29 May 2007 23:54:56
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On 29 May, 22:00, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> On May 29, 8:50 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Bet they were playing Cornwall though, eh? Eh?
>
> > UD
>
> lancashire.
>
> Please keep up with modern trends dave.

I do. And the modern trend is that nobody gives a flying f-f-f-frog
about the county game. Except Cornwall who are probably pretty peeved
at not getting to the final and their annual pilgrimage to
civilisation.

UD



29 May 2007 23:57:59
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On 29 May, 22:58, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
> > How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
> > You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
> > Gah......
>
> watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
> kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
> finish for Devon's final try.
>
> Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs

Are you saying they were playing to Lord of the Rings rules? I had a
bad night and my brain simply can't handle e-less Elves this
morning.

Did they have orcs as mascots? Or only in the front row? <boom boom >

UD



29 May 2007 23:59:41
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On 30 May, 01:29, rick boyd <b...@comswest.net.au > wrote:
>
> And what possible use is a slow and grinding rolling maul?

It gives our chaps the chance for a breather while your drug-crazed
South Sea Islanders surreptitiously suck on their steroids.

UD



30 May 2007 07:28:54
oob
Re: English County Championship

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:59:41 -0700, Uncle Dave wrote:

> On 30 May, 01:29, rick boyd <b...@comswest.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> And what possible use is a slow and grinding rolling maul?
>
> It gives our chaps the chance for a breather while your drug-crazed
> South Sea Islanders surreptitiously suck on their steroids.
>
> UD

Says a supporter of the team captained by a cocaine dealer.


30 May 2007 00:52:19
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On 30 May, 09:28, oob <oobapal...@spam.no > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:59:41 -0700, Uncle Dave wrote:
> > On 30 May, 01:29, rick boyd <b...@comswest.net.au> wrote:
>
> >> And what possible use is a slow and grinding rolling maul?
>
> > It gives our chaps the chance for a breather while your drug-crazed
> > South Sea Islanders surreptitiously suck on their steroids.
>
> > UD
>
> Says a supporter of the team captained by a cocaine dealer.

Nothing wrong with a bit of capitalism in New Labour's Britain mate.
Force feeding naiive itinerants performance enhancing substances is
something else entirely. And don't try and deny it - I read it in the
Sunday Sport so it must be so!

UD



30 May 2007 03:03:29
simon s-b
Re: English County Championship

On 29 May, 18:50, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> OK - hands up... who has EVER attended an English County Championship
> final?
>
> And if you have, how full was Twicken ham for it?
>
> (genuine enquiry).
>
> didds
>
> PS I have. Yesterday. watched by a few hundred at best.

Guilty - I played for Hampshire at HQ in the Colts County Championship
final in '91. which was the curtain raiser to the main event. IIRC
there were just shy of 60,000 people there to watch the Cornwall vs
Yorkshire match, about 55000 of them from Cornwall. When the Cornish
don't reach the final, it's a waste of time.



30 May 2007 11:19:38
didgerman
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On 29 May, 21:40, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got this sat on my hard drive, and yet to watch it.
>> How the hell am I going to sit through it if I know who wins?
>> You think I wanna watch it for the sake of the game or something?
>> Gah......
>
> watch the jaapie devon 10. Excellent game despite the fixation with
> kicking tennis with his oppo 15 for 20 minutes mid game... Great
> finish for Devon's final try.
>
> Also for the anoraks amongst us, a very interesting take on the ELVs
> wrt the collapsing of the maul - and how to combat it. For those that
> may be hoping the ELVs in this regard would stop mauling I have bad
> news - if anything it seemed to mean mauls became even slower and more
> grinding as the instigators worked at making sure the bal was very
> well protected from any area that could be collapsed.
>
> didds
>

RSRU: added value for your rugby viewing pleasure.


30 May 2007 19:39:14
DC
Re: English County Championship

ruggeryoda wrote:
>>watch the jaapie devon 10.
>
> Name? Send him down, we need him!

Regardt Van Eyk -- "Experience: Played EP from 2003-2005"
http://www.plymouthalbion.com/club/players.html

See also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2007/05/29/devon_rugby_victory_twickenham_2007_feature.shtml
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/RFUHome.Community_Detail/StoryID/17009
http://www.plymouthalbion.com/club/players.html


31 May 2007 14:23:51
didds
Re: English County Championship

On May 29, 11:05 pm, "Chris D" <darve...@NOSPAM.btinternet.com > wrote:

> Watching the game on TV, the commentators, at times, seemed incredulous that
> Lancs seemed to be making NO effort at all to bring down Devon's rolling
> mauls. Rather they seemed to adopt the more traditional tactics - the
> commentators seemed to imply that the Lancs team may have forgotten that the
> ELVs applied.
>

Well.. I have to say that my impression was that Lancs WERE
attempting to pull down the Devon maul... in the second half some of
the action was probably only 30 or so metres (?) from where I was
sitting and it was obvious to me that Lans were attempting some quite
bizarre efforts at times to pull the maul down... and devon players
were going to the floor. lancs weren;t overly successful in their
attempts tho - maybe because after all it is actually harder to
collapse a maul than is believed, maybe cos they weren;t very good it,
and also maybe primarily becuae Devon seemed to have worked out
strategies to overcome such attempts anyway!


> Presumably, the ELVs only applied to the county games, so these guys were
> going back, during the competition, to the old regime at their clubs?

Yes... but most CC matches are played at the very very end of the
club season and for many players possibly afterwards.

> BTW, I think I also heard mention that one of the Devon (?) players was
> only 17 - do you know if that was correct?


no idea.. I tried to get a program but failed dismally when I
tried... the sellers seemed to have disappeared by half time of the
england saxons game and i hadnl;t bothered on the way in.


didds



31 May 2007 14:25:42
didds
Re: English County Championship

On May 30, 8:28 am, oob <oobapal...@spam.no > wrote:


> > UD
>
> Says a supporter of the team captained by a cocaine dealer.

Jason Robinson is a drug dealer?

Or whoever is gonna be captain if they can get out of a sick bed this
week?

Really?

Have you any proof? I am sure Scotland Yard would like to hear of
it..


didds



31 May 2007 23:15:35
The Green Phantom
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On May 30, 8:28 am, oob <oobapal...@spam.no> wrote:
>
>
>>> UD
>> Says a supporter of the team captained by a cocaine dealer.
>
> Jason Robinson is a drug dealer?
>
> Or whoever is gonna be captain if they can get out of a sick bed this
> week?
>
> Really?
>
> Have you any proof? I am sure Scotland Yard would like to hear of
> it..

Didds, this is oob you're responding too. The man recently, but fairly,
described as a sample of man-fat. While there may be a lot of latent
brain power in such a product, there's no actual brain power.

regards

The Green Phantom


01 Jun 2007 12:05:01
Sean Byrne
Re: English County Championship

didds wrote:
> On May 30, 8:28 am, oob <oobapal...@spam.no> wrote:
>
>
>
>>>UD
>>
>>Says a supporter of the team captained by a cocaine dealer.
>
>
> Jason Robinson is a drug dealer?
>
> Or whoever is gonna be captain if they can get out of a sick bed this
> week?
>
> Really?
>
> Have you any proof? I am sure Scotland Yard would like to hear of
> it..

Laurence Dallaglio openly admitted it.

Apparently he was trying to deflect the conversation from the shameful
topic of being the England captain in an attempt to woo a blonde.

As for Scotland Yard... well they really came down hard on Kate Moss
didn't they? Photographic evidence, named witnesses... and she's making
more money than ever.

Later,
Sean



01 Jun 2007 14:09:55
didds
Re: English County Championship

On Jun 1, 12:05 pm, Sean Byrne <byrne_sean_spamt...@hotmail.com >
wrote:
:

> Laurence Dallaglio openly admitted it.

Oh.. That EX england captain... from EIGHT years ago.

I thought the point might have been at least vaguely contemporary!

didds



01 Jun 2007 14:35:15
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On Jun 1, 11:09 pm, didds <did...@excite.com > wrote:
> On Jun 1, 12:05 pm, Sean Byrne <byrne_sean_spamt...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> :
>
> > Laurence Dallaglio openly admitted it.
>
> Oh.. That EX england captain... from EIGHT years ago.
>
> I thought the point might have been at least vaguely contemporary!

Don't forget you're dealing with people who think that dominance of
rugby in the 1930s is more relevant than RWCs in the 1990s and 2000s.
They take a while to catch up :-)

UD



02 Jun 2007 08:10:18
rick boyd
Re: English County Championship

Uncle Dave wrote:


> Don't forget you're dealing with people who think that dominance of
> rugby in the 1930s is more relevant than RWCs in the 1990s and 2000s.
> They take a while to catch up :-)

That's being pretty demeaning to South Africans Dave. I don't think a
smiley is going to absolve you of such blatant racism.

-- rick boyd


02 Jun 2007 00:50:54
Uncle Dave
Re: English County Championship

On Jun 2, 2:10 am, rick boyd <b...@comswest.net.au > wrote:
> Uncle Dave wrote:
> > Don't forget you're dealing with people who think that dominance of
> > rugby in the 1930s is more relevant than RWCs in the 1990s and 2000s.
> > They take a while to catch up :-)
>
> That's being pretty demeaning to South Africans Dave. I don't think a
> smiley is going to absolve you of such blatant racism.

Oo, you are a one...

UD