18 Dec 2006 06:43:59
Uncle Dave
England close on new head coach

England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.

Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
February.

But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
away.

Other names that have been linked with the post include former England
star and Harlequins boss Dean Richards and former Ireland and Wasps
coach Warren Gatland.

Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.

Robinson, 42, was axed following England's dismal autumn Test series,
during which they lost to Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand.

His 25-month spell in charge yielded 13 defeats from 22 games and saw
England slip alarmingly down the International Rugby Board rankings.

The 2003 World Cup winners begin their Six Nations campaign against
Scotland at Twickenham on 3 February.

18 Dec 2006 07:07:46
Craig L
Re: England close on new head coach

Uncle Dave wrote:
> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>
> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
> February.
>
> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
> away.
>
> Other names that have been linked with the post include former England
> star and Harlequins boss Dean Richards and former Ireland and Wasps
> coach Warren Gatland.
>
> Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
> Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.
>
> Robinson, 42, was axed following England's dismal autumn Test series,
> during which they lost to Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand.
>
> His 25-month spell in charge yielded 13 defeats from 22 games and saw
> England slip alarmingly down the International Rugby Board rankings.
>
> The 2003 World Cup winners begin their Six Nations campaign against
> Scotland at Twickenham on 3 February.

Nice one, promote someone from within the current structure. That
worked last time..

18 Dec 2006 15:19:49
Chris D
Re: England close on new head coach

"Uncle Dave" <davidcovey@t-online.de > wrote in message

< snip >

> Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
> Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.

Strange, given that EJ was the first to put his hand up 2 weeks ago. Dawning
realisation of the task ahead or just sobered up?

18 Dec 2006 15:27:41
The Green Phantom

Craig L wrote:
> Uncle Dave wrote:
>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>>
>> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
>> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
>> February.
>>
>> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
>> away.
>>
>> Other names that have been linked with the post include former England
>> star and Harlequins boss Dean Richards and former Ireland and Wasps
>> coach Warren Gatland.
>>
>> Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
>> Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.
>>
>> Robinson, 42, was axed following England's dismal autumn Test series,
>> during which they lost to Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand.
>>
>> His 25-month spell in charge yielded 13 defeats from 22 games and saw
>> England slip alarmingly down the International Rugby Board rankings.
>>
>> The 2003 World Cup winners begin their Six Nations campaign against
>> Scotland at Twickenham on 3 February.
>
> Nice one, promote someone from within the current structure. That
> worked last time..

The options, under the circumstances, are limited. No-one is exactly
battering down the door for the job, well, with the exception of
Richards no-one credible.

What is it about life handing you lemons?

regards

The Green Phantom

18 Dec 2006 17:18:37
Ali Day
Re: England close on new head coach

> The options, under the circumstances, are limited. No-one is exactly
> battering down the door for the job, well, with the exception of
> Richards no-one credible.

With the same management structure in place, Rob 'you don't want to do it
like that' Andrews sitting on your shoulder, I think Ashton would be a fool
to take the position as it stands. Until the club v country position is
sorted, and some foresight brought into the system, it will just continue to
stagger from crisis to crisis. Deano I think now would be my choice, but I
think you could measure the time frame of him telling someone to piss off to
be in the order of minutes of taking over the job.

18 Dec 2006 21:18:19
DC

Uncle Dave wrote:
> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>
> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
> February.
>
> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
> away.
You can at least put the BBC article in quotes, if you're not going to
site the URL:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6189565.stm

18 Dec 2006 21:49:21
didgerman

DC wrote:
> Uncle Dave wrote:
>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>>
>> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
>> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
>> February.
>>
>> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
>> away.
> You can at least put the BBC article in quotes, if you're not going to
> site the URL:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6189565.stm

Ooooooo, get you.
/raises handbag under chin......

19 Dec 2006 00:03:41
Uncle Dave

DC wrote:

> You can at least put the BBC article in quotes, if you're not going to
> site the URL:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6189565.stm

Well, as it was so short I decided not to include the URL and as I
never signed it I rather assumed people could work out that it wasn't
by me. Sorry about that.

UD

19 Dec 2006 08:26:02
oob

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:43:59 -0800, Uncle Dave wrote:
> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.

"England's" "attack" isn't much of a credential to dine out on.

19 Dec 2006 08:46:43
didgerman

oob wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:43:59 -0800, Uncle Dave wrote:
>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>
> "England's" "attack" isn't much of a credential to dine out on.

No, four tries against the Pacific handbag guild is rubbish.
But, here's the thing, we won't even score one in the semis, but you're
still going out.

19 Dec 2006 08:39:49
oob

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:46:43 +0000, didgerman wrote:

> oob wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:43:59 -0800, Uncle Dave wrote:
>>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>>
>> "England's" "attack" isn't much of a credential to dine out on.
>
> No, four tries against the Pacific handbag guild is rubbish.
> But, here's the thing, we won't even score one in the semis, but you're
> still going out.

One disallowed and three that should have been equals four tries scored?

19 Dec 2006 01:01:10
Google Bully

oob wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:46:43 +0000, didgerman wrote:
>
> > oob wrote:
> >>
> >> "England's" "attack" isn't much of a credential to dine out on.
> >
> > No, four tries against the Pacific handbag guild is rubbish.
> > But, here's the thing, we won't even score one in the semis, but you're
> > still going out.
>
> One disallowed and three that should have been equals four tries scored?

Didge is talking about the four tries England have scored since 1936.
Didn't you see the video?

19 Dec 2006 09:01:35
oob

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 01:01:10 -0800, Google Bully wrote:

> oob wrote:

>> > No, four tries against the Pacific handbag guild is rubbish.
>> > But, here's the thing, we won't even score one in the semis, but you're
>> > still going out.
>>
>> One disallowed and three that should have been equals four tries scored?
>
> Didge is talking about the four tries England have scored since 1936.
> Didn't you see the video?

Nice!

19 Dec 2006 09:32:27
didgerman

Google Bully wrote:
> oob wrote:

>>> No, four tries against the Pacific handbag guild is rubbish.
>>> But, here's the thing, we won't even score one in the semis, but you're
>>> still going out.
>> One disallowed and three that should have been equals four tries scored?
>
> Didge is talking about the four tries England have scored since 1936.
> Didn't you see the video?

I have that video at home, it sits on the shelf next to 'All Blacks
Professional World Cup wins' and 'My life in Pies', by oob.

19 Dec 2006 02:08:13
simon s-b

Uncle Dave wrote:
> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>
> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
> February.
>
> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
> away.
>
> Other names that have been linked with the post include former England
> star and Harlequins boss Dean Richards and former Ireland and Wasps
> coach Warren Gatland.
>
> Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
> Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.
>
> Robinson, 42, was axed following England's dismal autumn Test series,
> during which they lost to Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand.
>
> His 25-month spell in charge yielded 13 defeats from 22 games and saw
> England slip alarmingly down the International Rugby Board rankings.
>
> The 2003 World Cup winners begin their Six Nations campaign against
> Scotland at Twickenham on 3 February.

I posted this a couple of weeks back. Rumour is that BA doesn't
actually want the job, but has been asked to go through the RWC.

19 Dec 2006 10:59:49
didgerman

simon s-b wrote:
> Uncle Dave wrote:
>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>>
>> Andrew will make his recommendation to the RFU management board on
>> Wednesday, although any decision will need ratifying at a meeting on 9
>> February.
>>
>> But, in practice, Robinson's successor could be installed straight
>> away.
>>
>> Other names that have been linked with the post include former England
>> star and Harlequins boss Dean Richards and former Ireland and Wasps
>> coach Warren Gatland.
>>
>> Ex-South Africa coach Nick Mallett and former Wallabies boss Eddie
>> Jones have ruled themselves out of the running.
>>
>> Robinson, 42, was axed following England's dismal autumn Test series,
>> during which they lost to Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand.
>>
>> His 25-month spell in charge yielded 13 defeats from 22 games and saw
>> England slip alarmingly down the International Rugby Board rankings.
>>
>> The 2003 World Cup winners begin their Six Nations campaign against
>> Scotland at Twickenham on 3 February.
>
> I posted this a couple of weeks back. Rumour is that BA doesn't
> actually want the job, but has been asked to go through the RWC.

Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....

19 Dec 2006 03:05:21
Uncle Dave

simon s-b wrote:

> I posted this a couple of weeks back. Rumour is that BA doesn't
> actually want the job, but has been asked to go through the RWC.

No, what you posted then was pure conjecture. Now it's, well,
jolly well considered conjecture. Not the same story as such though
you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise. I think, if true, it's a
bad thing because Andrew said they weren't going to rush it and now...

I won't be bating my breath waiting that's for sure.

UD

19 Dec 2006 11:07:42
oob

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:59:49 +0000, didgerman wrote:
> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....

No no no no no! It's on the evidence of his exemplary performance as an
attack coach.

I figure his position is analogous to the difference between a
first five-eighth and a flyhalf; he's simply the English version of what
the rest of the rugby world calls a "kicking coach" right?

19 Dec 2006 12:17:39
didgerman

oob wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:59:49 +0000, didgerman wrote:
>> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
>> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
>> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
>> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
>> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....
>
> No no no no no! It's on the evidence of his exemplary performance as an
> attack coach.
>
> I figure his position is analogous to the difference between a
> first five-eighth and a flyhalf; he's simply the English version of what
> the rest of the rugby world calls a "kicking coach" right?

Wrong, way wrong in fact.

19 Dec 2006 04:19:06
Ben L
Re: England close on new head coach

didgerman wrote:
<snip >
> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....

Ashton is a blunt Lancastrian. From what I know of him and have seen of
Richards, he is a plainer speaker than Richards.

He's no media virgin, but the idea he's been picked over Richards for
his ability to schmooze media and business is not quite on the mark.

19 Dec 2006 13:31:55
didgerman

Ben L wrote:
> didgerman wrote:
> <snip>
>> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
>> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
>> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
>> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
>> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....
>
> Ashton is a blunt Lancastrian. From what I know of him and have seen of
> Richards, he is a plainer speaker than Richards.

Well that's it isn't it, he's plain, not school of Moore....

> He's no media virgin, but the idea he's been picked over Richards for
> his ability to schmooze media and business is not quite on the mark.

Perhaps Ashton wasn't picked for his attributes in that area, but Dean
was passed over because of his. Who knows, they must've looked at Dean
and come up with some reason why not, and I can't believe it was
anything to do with rugby.

19 Dec 2006 05:32:55
simon s-b

Uncle Dave wrote:
> simon s-b wrote:
>
> > I posted this a couple of weeks back. Rumour is that BA doesn't
> > actually want the job, but has been asked to go through the RWC.
>
> No, what you posted then was pure conjecture. Now it's, well,
> jolly well considered conjecture. Not the same story as such though
> you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise. I think, if true, it's a
> bad thing because Andrew said they weren't going to rush it and now...
>
> I won't be bating my breath waiting that's for sure.
>
> UD

Conjecture indeed, but if you track back you'll find when I post
something from the rumour mill, it's been pretty accurate.

19 Dec 2006 06:06:13
simon s-b

didgerman wrote:
> Ben L wrote:
> > didgerman wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
> >> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
> >> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
> >> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
> >> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....
> >
> > Ashton is a blunt Lancastrian. From what I know of him and have seen of
> > Richards, he is a plainer speaker than Richards.
>
> Well that's it isn't it, he's plain, not school of Moore....
>

> > He's no media virgin, but the idea he's been picked over Richards for
> > his ability to schmooze media and business is not quite on the mark.
>
> Perhaps Ashton wasn't picked for his attributes in that area, but Dean
> was passed over because of his. Who knows, they must've looked at Dean
> and come up with some reason why not, and I can't believe it was
> anything to do with rugby.

There's many convinced that the success he had at Leicester was largely
due to others, and he's had plenty of problems since.

19 Dec 2006 06:08:53
Ben L
Re: England close on new head coach

didgerman wrote:
<snip >
> Perhaps Ashton wasn't picked for his attributes in that area, but Dean
> was passed over because of his. Who knows, they must've looked at Dean
> and come up with some reason why not, and I can't believe it was
> anything to do with rugby.

I suspect Dean Richards (if he has indeed been) wasn't chosen because:

a) He's still locked into a Harlequins contract
b) He won't budge until he gets to join England at the right time, on
his terms. I mean, who would want to join the set up fresh and carry
the can for the inevitable exit from the RWC?

19 Dec 2006 10:39:28
William A. T. Clark
Re: England close on new head coach

In article <fRRhh.17882$HV6.1236@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net >,
didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com > wrote:

> Ben L wrote:
> > didgerman wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Talking to my neighbour yesterday, a prop of no repute, he reckons Dean
> >> was seen at a bar, naked with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
> >> Now I know this is normal behaviour, but can you imagine Baron's arse
> >> clenching every time Dean goes in front of the cameras? I reckon this is
> >> why we're getting Ashton: media friendly, and corporate friendly....
> >
> > Ashton is a blunt Lancastrian. From what I know of him and have seen of
> > Richards, he is a plainer speaker than Richards.
>
> Well that's it isn't it, he's plain, not school of Moore....
>

> > He's no media virgin, but the idea he's been picked over Richards for
> > his ability to schmooze media and business is not quite on the mark.
>
> Perhaps Ashton wasn't picked for his attributes in that area, but Dean
> was passed over because of his. Who knows, they must've looked at Dean
> and come up with some reason why not, and I can't believe it was
> anything to do with rugby.

I think that Ashton was picked a) because he is already in the setup,
and time is of the essence in getting to RWC 2007, and b) because he has
been principally a backs coach, and God knows, England need some
threequarter play. I can't see Deano inspiring that, but I would not be
surprised (given that RWC 2007 is likely to be a total disaster from
England's point of view) to see Deano take over for 2008.

William Clark

19 Dec 2006 18:32:10
Walter Mitty

oob <oobapalula@spam.no > writes:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:43:59 -0800, Uncle Dave wrote:
>> England could have a new head coach as early as Wednesday - and the hot
>> tip for the job appears to be Brian Ashton. Ashton, who was attack
>> coach under former boss Andy Robinson, is thought to be the choice of
>> new Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew.
>
> "England's" "attack" isn't much of a credential to dine out on.

Gotta agree with lardy on that one. Oob could juggle wings at pace
faster than cohen a rugby ball on the wing.

19 Dec 2006 20:01:03
DC

simon s-b wrote:

> There's many convinced that the success he had at Leicester was largely
> due to others, and he's had plenty of problems since.

You mean the common denominator with England's success under SCW --
namely Martin Johnson?

19 Dec 2006 22:33:52
didgerman

William A. T. Clark wrote:
> In article <fRRhh.17882$HV6.1236@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
> didgerman <didgerman@rfu.com> wrote:
>
>> Ben L wrote:
>>> didgerman wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Ashton is a blunt Lancastrian. From what I know of him and have seen of
>>> Richards, he is a plainer speaker than Richards.
>> Well that's it isn't it, he's plain, not school of Moore....
>>
>>> He's no media virgin, but the idea he's been picked over Richards for
>>> his ability to schmooze media and business is not quite on the mark.
>> Perhaps Ashton wasn't picked for his attributes in that area, but Dean
>> was passed over because of his. Who knows, they must've looked at Dean
>> and come up with some reason why not, and I can't believe it was
>> anything to do with rugby.
>>

> I think that Ashton was picked a) because he is already in the setup,
> and time is of the essence in getting to RWC 2007, and b) because he has
> been principally a backs coach, and God knows, England need some
> threequarter play. I can't see Deano inspiring that, but I would not be
> surprised (given that RWC 2007 is likely to be a total disaster from
> England's point of view) to see Deano take over for 2008.
>
> William Clark

IIRC, Deano was often found catching balls out on the wing. He may not
have run far once he caught it, but he did catch it.....

23 Dec 2006 09:53:46
Uncle Bully

"didgerman" <didgerman@rfu.com > wrote in message
> Google Bully wrote:
>> oob wrote:

>>> One disallowed and three that should have been equals four tries scored?
>>
>> Didge is talking about the four tries England have scored since 1936.
>> Didn't you see the video?
>>

> I have that video at home, it sits on the shelf next to 'All Blacks
> Professional World Cup wins'

Do you have video of the Greatest Rugby moments of all time that occured
between May 2002 and November 2003 by teams wearing white jerseys with
coaches who names initals are CW?
Margaret! Margaret!