28 Apr 2005 07:33:00
Martyn Winters
Blues kiss HC qualification goodbye

Cardiff Blues have dented their hopes of qualifying for the Heineken
Cup next season by refusing to ask for their three Lions to be
released for the playoff match on May 29th in Itlay. Gethin Jenkins,
Martyn Williams and Tom Shanklin, along with the rest of their Welsh
squad members have been missing for most of a dreadful season for the
Blues, which has exposed the lack of strength in depth in the Cardiff
side. The match in Italy was always going to be a trial for the Welsh
region, but now they are facing an uphill task without three of their
most effective players.

Chief executive Robert Norster said,

"As former Lions David Young and myself had every sympathy for their
aspirations once the tour is underway. We also recognise that it would
be insensitive on our part to ask the players to make their own
decision about their availability for the play-off match. All three
have been faithful members of our squad this season and their
contribution to the Wales Grand Slam campaign has brought honour to
themselves and the Blues.

"Consequently, I can confirm today that the Blues will not be making
any further enquiries about Gethin, Tom and Martyn being made
available for the play-off match on 29 May. They will join the rest of
the Lions squad in the middle of next month at their pre-tour training
camp. They do so with our best wishes and we look forward to them
distinguishing themselves as Lions in New Zealand."

I can only agree with the sentiments expressed. As big a fan as I am
of the Cardiff Blues, the Lions must come first. I expect Jenkins and
Williams to be in the Test starting line-up, and Shanklin has a good
shout at a bench spot, so to deny them this opportunity would be
churlish.

28 Apr 2005 14:45:36
didgerman
Re: Blues kiss HC qualification goodbye

"Martyn Winters" <martyn_winters@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Cardiff Blues have dented their hopes of qualifying for the Heineken
> Cup next season by refusing to ask for their three Lions to be
> released for the playoff match on May 29th in Itlay. Gethin Jenkins,
> Martyn Williams and Tom Shanklin, along with the rest of their Welsh
> squad members have been missing for most of a dreadful season for the
> Blues, which has exposed the lack of strength in depth in the Cardiff
> side. The match in Italy was always going to be a trial for the Welsh
> region, but now they are facing an uphill task without three of their
> most effective players.
>
> Chief executive Robert Norster said,

*The* Robert Norster that used to play in the second row?

28 Apr 2005 08:06:56
Bulldog
Re: Blues kiss HC qualification goodbye

Yes.

28 Apr 2005 17:34:30

"Bulldog" <dickson99@aol.com > wrote in message
> Yes.

Well I'm blowed, I've seen him play a few times...think I even had his
autograph.....please, no pictures....

29 Apr 2005 14:25:03
BridMark
Re: Blues kiss HC qualification goodbye

"Martyn Winters" <martyn_winters@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Cardiff Blues have dented their hopes of qualifying for the Heineken
> Cup next season by refusing to ask for their three Lions to be
> released for the playoff match on May 29th in Itlay.

snip ...

I don't wish to be rude to Italian club rugby, but don't Cardiff have to
beat the third ranked Italian side to qualify?

If they can't do that without their three Lions, then they are in dire
straits and in more of a mess than even the most pessimistic fan can
imagine. They can also look forward to having to qualify next season too.

29 Apr 2005 19:14:20
Mike

BridMark wrote:

> "Martyn Winters" <martyn_winters@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Cardiff Blues have dented their hopes of qualifying for the Heineken
>>Cup next season by refusing to ask for their three Lions to be
>>released for the playoff match on May 29th in Itlay.
>

> snip ...
>

> I don't wish to be rude to Italian club rugby, but don't Cardiff have to
> beat the third ranked Italian side to qualify?
>
> If they can't do that without their three Lions, then they are in dire
> straits and in more of a mess than even the most pessimistic fan can
> imagine. They can also look forward to having to qualify next season too.

If they struggle against any Italian side without them then the HC will
be a painful experience. They'll get torn a new one in every match and
will have no chance of qualifying for the knockout stages.

Mike

30 Apr 2005 12:51:50
Martyn Winters

Mike wrote:

> BridMark wrote:
>
>> "Martyn Winters" <martyn_winters@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Cardiff Blues have dented their hopes of qualifying for the Heineken
>>> Cup next season by refusing to ask for their three Lions to be
>>> released for the playoff match on May 29th in Itlay.
>> snip ...
>> I don't wish to be rude to Italian club rugby, but don't Cardiff have
>> to beat the third ranked Italian side to qualify?
>>
>> If they can't do that without their three Lions, then they are in dire
>> straits and in more of a mess than even the most pessimistic fan can
>> imagine. They can also look forward to having to qualify next season too.

They ARE in dire straits. They have played appallingly badly all season,
and on one occasion they even lost to Borders, the bottom club. At very
best, without their internationals, their play has been adequate, but
surprisingly, they look reasonably useful with their first choice side
on the park.

> If they struggle against any Italian side without them then the HC will
> be a painful experience. They'll get torn a new one in every match and
> will have no chance of qualifying for the knockout stages.

I can't say I disagree with you. The team has been at sixes and sevens
all season, a complete lack of continuity, poor tactical choices, and a
lack of substance amongst the second stringers has resulted in a truly
second rate side. However, having said all that, whoever wins the
play-offs are going to be the whipping boys of the HC, I'd rather it be
Cardiff Blues getting a stuffing every week than having to play in a
second rate competition. At least they can measure the gap, rather than
fool themselves that they can step up the season after.

Anyway, hopefully a few sixty pointers will result in a change of club
and team management, which will be for the best in the long run.

30 Apr 2005 13:14:16
Martyn Winters

didgerman wrote:
> "Bulldog" <dickson99@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yes.
>>

> Well I'm blowed,

Not by Robert Norster I hope. Although he might be lonely right now,
just ask Derwyn Jones.

30 Apr 2005 13:47:44

"Martyn Winters" <ziggy.stardust@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
> didgerman wrote:
>> "Bulldog" <dickson99@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Yes.
>>>

>> Well I'm blowed,
>
> Not by Robert Norster I hope. Although he might be lonely right now, just
> ask Derwyn Jones.

I watched Cardiff play quite a bit in the late 70s, I've seen them all,
Edwards, Davies erm....Camileri.....

01 May 2005 07:06:13
Martyn Winters

didgerman wrote:
> "Martyn Winters" <ziggy.stardust@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>didgerman wrote:
>>
>>>"Bulldog" <dickson99@aol.com> wrote in message

>>>Well I'm blowed,
>>
>>Not by Robert Norster I hope. Although he might be lonely right now, just
>>ask Derwyn Jones.
>

> I watched Cardiff play quite a bit in the late 70s, I've seen them all,
> Edwards, Davies erm....Camileri.....

The Camilleri family are quite famous in Cardiff Rugby. Lawrence
Camilleri still holds the record for the number of tries scored in one
season (44) for St Peters, one of our local clubs. Chris Camilleri went
on to be selected for Wales Rugby League about 1980.

Cardiff's a port, and before Thatcher got her hands on it, quite a busy
one. Consequently, we have a quite large immigrant population, dating
back several hundred years. For some reason a lot of Italians have
congregated in the Roath, Splott and Rumney areas. About the time Chris
Camilleri got his League cap, St Peters elected Pedro Spiteri chairman
and Chris Corsi club captain - the club is, incidentally, a nominally
Catholic one. Another famous name from the fifties was Mario Carpanini,
who was vice captain for a while and before him was Bruno Carpanini.

St Peters have supplied many of the Cardiff regulars down the years, and
I'm sure that were the Italian RFU to make a trawl of Cardiff and the
Valleys, they would find it a fertile recruitment ground. Indeed at all
levels, in most sports, you can find Italians - the Sidoli family being
a recent addition to the Italian influence in Welsh sport - Joe
Calzaghe, Britain's most successful boxer is another, Enzo Maccarinelli,
world cruiserweight champion, another.

It might be interesting to chart the influx of Italians into Cardiff,
certainly there was a sizeable presence in the 1880s, including, it
appears, a large number of Dallaglios. They have probably since been
evicted, having no talent to speak of.

01 May 2005 07:21:14

> didgerman wrote:
>> "Martyn Winters" <ziggy.stardust@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>>Not by Robert Norster I hope. Although he might be lonely right now, just
>>>ask Derwyn Jones.
>>

>> I watched Cardiff play quite a bit in the late 70s, I've seen them all,
>> Edwards, Davies erm....Camileri.....
>
> The Camilleri family are quite famous in Cardiff Rugby. Lawrence Camilleri
> still holds the record for the number of tries scored in one season (44)
> for St Peters, one of our local clubs. Chris Camilleri went on to be
> selected for Wales Rugby League about 1980.
>
> Cardiff's a port, and before Thatcher got her hands on it, quite a busy
> one. Consequently, we have a quite large immigrant population, dating back
> several hundred years. For some reason a lot of Italians have congregated
> in the Roath, Splott and Rumney areas. About the time Chris Camilleri got
> his League cap, St Peters elected Pedro Spiteri chairman and Chris Corsi
> club captain - the club is, incidentally, a nominally Catholic one.
> Another famous name from the fifties was Mario Carpanini, who was vice
> captain for a while and before him was Bruno Carpanini.
>
> St Peters have supplied many of the Cardiff regulars down the years, and
> I'm sure that were the Italian RFU to make a trawl of Cardiff and the
> Valleys, they would find it a fertile recruitment ground. Indeed at all
> levels, in most sports, you can find Italians - the Sidoli family being a
> recent addition to the Italian influence in Welsh sport - Joe Calzaghe,
> Britain's most successful boxer is another, Enzo Maccarinelli, world
> cruiserweight champion, another.

Interesting stuff. Chris was some sight, left wing wasn't he?

> It might be interesting to chart the influx of Italians into Cardiff,
> certainly there was a sizeable presence in the 1880s, including, it
> appears, a large number of Dallaglios. They have probably since been
> evicted, having no talent to speak of.

You couldn't resist could you....

There's a fair few Italians in Glasgow as well, they came for the ship
building I think, a lot of them are 2nd generation anyway. Maybe the SRFU
should have a trawl around here as well.....