29 Apr 2005 12:54:09
richie
Best country at soccer/rugby?

Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup AND
Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.

1. France
2. Argentina
3. Ireland
4. England
5. South Africa
6. Scotland

28 Apr 2005 18:26:12
JohnO
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?

England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.

28 Apr 2005 18:53:25

JohnO wrote:
> WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>
> England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
> world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
> your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.

Well perhaps the French will win the next Rugby WC, they do have home
advantage.
I can't see it being Argentina.
And I can't see Ireland or SAfrica or any other rugby playing nation
winning the soccer WC any time soon, so realistically England have done
it, France have a good chance, and that's about it.

Higgs

29 Apr 2005 14:33:41
Alan Luchetti

"richie" <tauponewbie@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup AND
> Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>
> 1. France
> 2. Argentina
> 3. Ireland
> 4. England
> 5. South Africa
> 6. Scotland

England has already won both WCs (who cares about the Olumpic bit).

28 Apr 2005 22:08:18
Johnny Chis

richie wrote:
> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup
AND
> Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>
> 1. France
> 2. Argentina
> 3. Ireland
> 4. England
> 5. South Africa
> 6. Scotland

Folks,
I see where this is going.
The answer you want is America isn't it?
Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
ones with Olympic gold.
Do I win the prize now?

Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
Johnny

29 Apr 2005 18:24:00
Greig Blanchett

On 28 Apr 2005 18:26:12 -0700, "JohnO" <johno1234@gmail.com > wrote:

>WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>
>England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
>world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
>your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.

The current Olympic Gold medal rugby team is the good ole US of A, I
kid you not.

--
greig

29 Apr 2005 09:40:00
Simon Stovin-Bradford

"Johnny Chis" <jchis@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au > wrote in message

> richie wrote:
>> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup
> AND
>> Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>>
>> 1. France
>> 2. Argentina
>> 3. Ireland
>> 4. England
>> 5. South Africa
>> 6. Scotland
>

> Folks,
> I see where this is going.
> The answer you want is America isn't it?
> Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
> ones with Olympic gold.
> Do I win the prize now?
>
> Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
> Johnny

Apparently sevens is going to be at the next olympics - Switzerland are
having tournaments all over the place at the moment, and it's the reason
they introduced drug testing out here too.

Being as it's only the tiny percentage of Americans that realize that life
exists outside their country and the Gulf that play rugby, i don't think
they'll ever win the RWC. Being as their "soccer" league is full of old
over-the-hill internationals taking the cash, and of course they felt it
necessary to change the rules, i don't think they'll ever win that. Having
said that - I've seen a few womens football (i refuse to call it soccer)
from the US and they're pretty damned good - or maybe i just like watching
lithe women run around in shorts.

29 Apr 2005 20:46:30
Bobs

Simon Stovin-Bradford wrote:
> "Johnny Chis" <jchis@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au> wrote in message
>
>>richie wrote:
>>
>>>Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup
>>
>>AND
>>
>>>Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>>>
>>>1. France
>>>2. Argentina
>>>3. Ireland
>>>4. England
>>>5. South Africa
>>>6. Scotland
>>

>>Folks,
>>I see where this is going.
>>The answer you want is America isn't it?
>>Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
>>ones with Olympic gold.
>>Do I win the prize now?
>>
>>Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
>>Johnny
>>

> Apparently sevens is going to be at the next olympics - Switzerland are
> having tournaments all over the place at the moment, and it's the reason
> they introduced drug testing out here too.
>
> Being as it's only the tiny percentage of Americans that realize that life
> exists outside their country and the Gulf that play rugby, i don't think
> they'll ever win the RWC. Being as their "soccer" league is full of old
> over-the-hill internationals taking the cash, and of course they felt it
> necessary to change the rules, i don't think they'll ever win that. Having
> said that - I've seen a few womens football (i refuse to call it soccer)
> from the US and they're pretty damned good - or maybe i just like watching
> lithe women run around in shorts.

They changed the rules for soccer? What did they change?

29 Apr 2005 08:52:17
didgerman

"Bobs" <blah@extra.co.nz > wrote in message
> Simon Stovin-Bradford wrote:
>> "Johnny Chis" <jchis@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au> wrote in message

>>>AND

>>>Folks,
>>>I see where this is going.
>>>The answer you want is America isn't it?
>>>Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
>>>ones with Olympic gold.
>>>Do I win the prize now?
>>>
>>>Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
>>>Johnny
>>>

>> Apparently sevens is going to be at the next olympics - Switzerland are
>> having tournaments all over the place at the moment, and it's the reason
>> they introduced drug testing out here too.
>>
>> Being as it's only the tiny percentage of Americans that realize that
>> life exists outside their country and the Gulf that play rugby, i don't
>> think they'll ever win the RWC. Being as their "soccer" league is full of
>> old over-the-hill internationals taking the cash, and of course they felt
>> it necessary to change the rules, i don't think they'll ever win that.
>> Having said that - I've seen a few womens football (i refuse to call it
>> soccer) from the US and they're pretty damned good - or maybe i just like
>> watching lithe women run around in shorts.
>

> They changed the rules for soccer? What did they change?

12 'timeouts' per game, burger and coke at half time.

29 Apr 2005 11:12:20
Simon Stovin-Bradford
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

"Bobs" <blah@extra.co.nz > wrote in message
> Simon Stovin-Bradford wrote:
>> "Johnny Chis" <jchis@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au> wrote in message

>>>AND

>>>Folks,
>>>I see where this is going.
>>>The answer you want is America isn't it?
>>>Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
>>>ones with Olympic gold.
>>>Do I win the prize now?
>>>
>>>Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
>>>Johnny
>>>

>> Apparently sevens is going to be at the next olympics - Switzerland are
>> having tournaments all over the place at the moment, and it's the reason
>> they introduced drug testing out here too.
>>
>> Being as it's only the tiny percentage of Americans that realize that
>> life exists outside their country and the Gulf that play rugby, i don't
>> think they'll ever win the RWC. Being as their "soccer" league is full of
>> old over-the-hill internationals taking the cash, and of course they felt
>> it necessary to change the rules, i don't think they'll ever win that.
>> Having said that - I've seen a few womens football (i refuse to call it
>> soccer) from the US and they're pretty damned good - or maybe i just like
>> watching lithe women run around in shorts.
>

> They changed the rules for soccer? What did they change?

When the league was in its youth, instead of penalties, you got to dribble
the ball up to the goalie in a one-on-one from the halfway line. I'm not
sure they still do it as I beleieve FIFA told them to stop being silly.

29 Apr 2005 13:06:05
Walter Mitty
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

didgerman wrote:

*snip repeated stuff*

> 12 'timeouts' per game, burger and coke at half time.

come on fellas. Use the snip eh?

29 Apr 2005 11:18:49
Mike

Greig Blanchett wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2005 18:26:12 -0700, "JohnO" <johno1234@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>>
>>England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
>>world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
>>your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.
>

> The current Olympic Gold medal rugby team is the good ole US of A, I
> kid you not.
>
> --
> greig

Who was competing?
Of course Olympic Champion isn't the same as World Champion ...

Mike (lights the blue touch paper and retires)

29 Apr 2005 12:30:09
Sean Byrne

JohnO wrote:

> WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>
> England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
> world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
> your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.

You forget about the French? They'll be hard to beat in 2007.

Later,
Sean

29 Apr 2005 12:26:22
Tim Fitzmaurice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Mike wrote:

> Who was competing?

France USA and Romania

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

29 Apr 2005 12:28:44
Tim Fitzmaurice

On Fri, 28 Apr 2005, Johnny Chis wrote:

> Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?

A fairly good one I hope , rugby nearly got back in 88, and the USSR asked
for it in 80 apparently.

A sevens tournament would fit well as its a smaller athelte number, more
countries are or could be competitive at sevens to provide a reasonable
spectacle and you can do an entire tournament in a few days to a week
adding to the strength of it.

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

29 Apr 2005 11:40:34
didgerman

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com > wrote in message
> didgerman wrote:
>
> *snip repeated stuff*
>

>> 12 'timeouts' per game, burger and coke at half time.
>
> come on fellas. Use the snip eh?

Or buy a mouse with a scroll wheel.....

29 Apr 2005 07:26:15
Mal Ixon
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

Simon Stovin-Bradford wrote:
> "Johnny Chis" <jchis@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au> wrote in message
>
>>richie wrote:
>>
>>>Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup
>>
>>AND
>>
>>>Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>>>
>>>1. France
>>>2. Argentina
>>>3. Ireland
>>>4. England
>>>5. South Africa
>>>6. Scotland
>>

>>Folks,
>>I see where this is going.
>>The answer you want is America isn't it?
>>Sure we might have to wait a few (dozen) more decades but they're the
>>ones with Olympic gold.
>>Do I win the prize now?
>>
>>Or do you think sevens has a tilt at getting on the Olympic programme?
>>Johnny
>>

> Apparently sevens is going to be at the next olympics - Switzerland are
> having tournaments all over the place at the moment, and it's the reason
> they introduced drug testing out here too.
>
> Being as it's only the tiny percentage of Americans that realize that life
> exists outside their country and the Gulf that play rugby, i don't think
> they'll ever win the RWC. Being as their "soccer" league is full of old
> over-the-hill internationals taking the cash, and of course they felt it
> necessary to change the rules, i don't think they'll ever win that. Having
> said that - I've seen a few womens football (i refuse to call it soccer)
> from the US and they're pretty damned good - or maybe i just like watching
> lithe women run around in shorts.

Nope. The USofA made it to the Qtrs at the last Soccer World Cup and
are FIFA ranked on or about #10 - which is about the same as Italy.
This puts them on a par with Turkey [Semis] and Greece [Euro champs]
Believe it or not Germany IIRC have dropped as low as 20? It is
entirely feasible that Uncle Sam could win it in the not too distant
future, but only after mopping up Iraq and then conquering Iran and
North Korea.

29 Apr 2005 12:24:25
mg

"didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> didgerman wrote:
>>
>> *snip repeated stuff*
>>

>>> 12 'timeouts' per game, burger and coke at half time.
>>
>> come on fellas. Use the snip eh?
>
> Or buy a mouse with a scroll wheel.....

Ah Witty and Digimon, cheering each other on. Go Team!

29 Apr 2005 14:49:17
Simon Stovin-Bradford

"Sean Byrne" <byrne_sean_spamtrap_@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> JohnO wrote:
>
>> WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>>
>> England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
>> world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
>> your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.
>
> You forget about the French? They'll be hard to beat in 2007.
>
> Later,
> Sean

Hope so. That'd pay for my next Lions tour.

Didn't get over for the Scotland game in the end mate. Had a league game
here that I needed to play in, then broke my arm again playing it. Spent
entirely too much time in plaster lately.

29 Apr 2005 15:10:49
Sean Byrne
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

Simon Stovin-Bradford wrote:

>> You forget about the French? They'll be hard to beat in 2007.
>>
> Hope so. That'd pay for my next Lions tour.
>
> Didn't get over for the Scotland game in the end mate. Had a league
> game here that I needed to play in, then broke my arm again playing
> it. Spent entirely too much time in plaster lately.

Hard luck mate, although you did look a little fragile before the
Barbars game though so not entirely surprising that you break so
easily...

Was a long weekend with the Scottish boys.

Later,
Sean

29 Apr 2005 11:43:45

Sean Byrne wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
>
> > WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
> >
> > England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
> > world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from

> > your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.
>
> You forget about the French?

Yep, he did. Imagine a small but vociferous bunch of morons like this
bloke "JohnO" wailing and gnashing their teeth after forgetting ablout
France at the 1999 World Cup.

> They'll be hard to beat in 2007.

France should have been hard to beat at every World Cup. So far
they've reached two World Cup finals and grievously capitulated in
both.

29 Apr 2005 19:23:52
didgerman

<morrisseybreen@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Sean Byrne wrote:
>> JohnO wrote:
>>
>> > WTF? Rugby Olympic Gold?
>> >
>> > England's the only country to have one both the poofball and rugby
>> > world cups and I suspect that will never ever change, so apart from
>
>> > your Olympic nonsense the question is answered.
>>
>> You forget about the French?
>
> Yep, he did. Imagine a small but vociferous bunch of morons like this
> bloke "JohnO" wailing and gnashing their teeth after forgetting ablout
> [sic!]
> France at the 1999 World Cup.
>

>> They'll be hard to beat in 2007.
>
> France should have been hard to beat at every World Cup. So far
> they've reached two World Cup finals and grievously capitulated in
> both.

30 Apr 2005 07:27:32
Greig Blanchett
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

On 29 Apr 2005 11:43:45 -0700, morrisseybreen@yahoo.com wrote:

[...]
>Yep, he did. Imagine a small but vociferous bunch of morons like this
>bloke "JohnO" wailing and gnashing their teeth after forgetting ablout

ablout [sic!]

>France at the 1999 World Cup.
>
>France should have been hard to beat at every World Cup. So far
>they've reached two World Cup finals and grievously capitulated in
>both.

Those cheese eating surrender monkeys. Obviously they need more depth
instead of having to rely on SH ringers.

--
greig

29 Apr 2005 22:26:12
Brent

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:40:34 GMT, "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com > wrote:

>"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> didgerman wrote:
>>
>> *snip repeated stuff*
>>

>>> 12 'timeouts' per game, burger and coke at half time.
>>
>> come on fellas. Use the snip eh?
>
>Or buy a mouse with a scroll wheel.....

Ah. Wee didge's fatal mistake, as usual, is not to recognise that the
purpose of posting is for the interaction with, and interest of, others, As
opposed to wanking into the void.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

At least, I hope so.

Cheers

Brent

29 Apr 2005 22:59:46
Andy Mulhearn

Brent wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:40:34 GMT, "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>didgerman wrote:
>>>
>>>*snip repeated stuff*

>>>come on fellas. Use the snip eh?
>>
>>Or buy a mouse with a scroll wheel.....
>

> Ah. Wee didge's fatal mistake, as usual, is not to recognise that the
> purpose of posting is for the interaction with, and interest of, others, As
> opposed to wanking into the void.

Wanking into the void. I like it. Do you mind if I use it myself?

> Metaphorically speaking, of course.
>
> At least, I hope so.

Yes, well, least said about that the better.

Andy

30 Apr 2005 00:35:23
Brent
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:59:46 +0100, Andy Mulhearn <mully@netcomuk.co.uk >
wrote:

>Brent wrote:

>> Ah. Wee didge's fatal mistake, as usual, is not to recognise that the
>> purpose of posting is for the interaction with, and interest of, others, As
>> opposed to wanking into the void.
>
>Wanking into the void. I like it. Do you mind if I use it myself?

Feel free (although I have the sneaking suspicion I may have nicked it
myself from somewhere).

>> Metaphorically speaking, of course.
>>
>> At least, I hope so.
>
>Yes, well, least said about that the better.

Indeed.

Cheers

Brent

02 May 2005 00:21:53
ERNEST THE SHEEP

richie wrote:
> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup
> AND Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>
> 1. France
> 2. Argentina
> 3. Ireland
> 4. England
> 5. South Africa
> 6. Scotland

I'd have Australia in there a head of Scotland at least. I'm not sure why
you have England at four though given that they are the only side to have
won both of the world cups.

01 May 2005 13:22:36
didgerman
Re: Best country at soccer/rugby?

"richie" <tauponewbie@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World Cup AND
> Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>
> 1. France
> 2. Argentina
> 3. Ireland
> 4. England
> 5. South Africa
> 6. Scotland

Pffft, bilge.

England and France are easily the most likely to win 'the double'. Ireland
roll in third, then Oz, USA.....
Scotland! Have you any idea how shite they are at their national sport
{although some would say that's sunbed tanning and shopping...}, it's no
coincidence that the biggest thing by miles in Scottish football is dressing
up and pretending you're from some other country that just happens to be
playing England.
They should give up and stick to rugby and cheating at cycling and
skiing.....oh, and curling, no, don't ask me either....

01 May 2005 18:15:01

ERNEST THE SHEEP wrote:
> richie wrote:
> > Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World
Cup
> > AND Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
> >
> > 1. France
> > 2. Argentina
> > 3. Ireland
> > 4. England
> > 5. South Africa
> > 6. Scotland
>
> I'd have Australia in there a head of Scotland at least. I'm not sure
why
> you have England at four though given that they are the only side to
have
> won both of the world cups.

Australia are about as likely to win the soccer WC As Uncle Sam is to
win the rugby one.

Higgs

02 May 2005 13:34:58
ERNEST THE SHEEP

kenhiggs8@hotmail.com wrote:
> ERNEST THE SHEEP wrote:
>> richie wrote:
>>> Country most likely to win both Footbal World Cup and Rugby World
>>> Cup AND Rugby Olympic Gold medal at different times.
>>>
>>> 1. France
>>> 2. Argentina
>>> 3. Ireland
>>> 4. England
>>> 5. South Africa
>>> 6. Scotland
>>
>> I'd have Australia in there a head of Scotland at least. I'm not
>> sure why you have England at four though given that they are the
>> only side to have won both of the world cups.
>
> Australia are about as likely to win the soccer WC As Uncle Sam is to
> win the rugby one.

Ah Ken, you took the bait just as I suspected you would. Yes, it would
indeed be very long odds that either Australia or Scotland would be holders
of both trophies. But the question the original poster asked was who would
be the most likely and I would contend that it would be more likely to be
Australia than Scotland, but If you disagree with my statement then feel
free to explain the reasons as to why you disagree.

02 May 2005 23:31:42
Paul Kendall

In article Mike <no.reply@here.com > wrote:

> Greig Blanchett wrote:

> > The current Olympic Gold medal rugby team is the good ole US of A, I
> > kid you not.
>
> Who was competing?

A quick Google tells us:

At the 1924 Olympics in Paris, three teams entered. France beat Romania
61-3, the USA (Stanford University) beat Romania 37-0 and in the final
the USA beat France once again, 17-3 to win the gold medal. The match
finished in uproar when Gideon Nelson, one of the American reserves, was
flattened by a walking stick and the American anthem was jeered.

On the last point, nothing has changed! ;-)

--
Paul