31 Jan 2008 16:55:28
Rugby Dan
All Blacks could play test in USA - Stuff.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4382425a1823.html

Friday, 01 Feb 2008

All Blacks could play test in USA

By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven

The All Blacks are being tipped to line out against Ireland
in a neutral
test in New Jersey as part of New Zealand's new agreement
with the
United States rugby union.

The two countries signed a five-year deal yesterday that
will see New
Zealand help the development of the American game while
hoping to cash
in on lucrative commercial opportunities in the massive
United States
market.

The New Zealand Rugby Union has made no secret of its desire
to have the
All Blacks playing glamour matches in neutral venues where
significant
revenue can be generated.

NZRU officials are currently in Hong Kong finalising
arrangements for a
test there against Australia in October.

But there is clearly appeal in tapping into the United
States where
rugby remains stalled in its infancy despite plenty of
resources.

The large Irish population in New York and New Jersey lends
itself to
the possibility of a test being played there.

In following up yesterday's announcement TV3 has suggested a
test
between the All Blacks and Ireland was a real possibility as
early as
next year.

NZRU officials certainly didn't squash that suggestion and
USA rugby
officials said a test involving New Zealand and Ireland at
the famous
Giants Stadium in New Jersey would be "a dream" for American
rugby.

The United States is a natural stopover for the All Blacks
on the way to
their traditional end of year tours to Europe and a mid-year
date could
also tie in with the end of European season.

Whether the All Blacks step up to play the American Eagles
is another
matter.

The All Blacks have only played the United States three
times - winning
51-3 in California way back in 1913 and then winning 53-6 in
San Diego
in 1980 and lastly 46-6 at the 1991 World Cup in England.

New Zealand Maori have had involvement with the US national
side through
the Churchill Cup.

01 Feb 2008 03:42:44
dudley
Re: All Blacks could play test in USA - Stuff.co.nz

On Jan 31, 11:55 pm, Rugby Dan <rugby...@bellsouth.net > wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4382425a1823.html
>
> Friday, 01 Feb 2008
>
> All Blacks could play test in USA
>
> By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven
>
> The All Blacks are being tipped to line out against Ireland
> in a neutral
> test in New Jersey as part of New Zealand's new agreement
> with the
> United States rugby union.
>
> The two countries signed a five-year deal yesterday that
> will see New
> Zealand help the development of the American game while
> hoping to cash
> in on lucrative commercial opportunities in the massive
> United States
> market.
>
> The New Zealand Rugby Union has made no secret of its desire
> to have the
> All Blacks playing glamour matches in neutral venues where
> significant
> revenue can be generated.
>
> NZRU officials are currently in Hong Kong finalising
> arrangements for a
> test there against Australia in October.
>
> But there is clearly appeal in tapping into the United
> States where
> rugby remains stalled in its infancy despite plenty of
> resources.
>
> The large Irish population in New York and New Jersey lends
> itself to
> the possibility of a test being played there.
>
> In following up yesterday's announcement TV3 has suggested a
> test
> between the All Blacks and Ireland was a real possibility as
> early as
> next year.
>
> NZRU officials certainly didn't squash that suggestion and
> USA rugby
> officials said a test involving New Zealand and Ireland at
> the famous
> Giants Stadium in New Jersey would be "a dream" for American
> rugby.
>
> The United States is a natural stopover for the All Blacks
> on the way to
> their traditional end of year tours to Europe and a mid-year
> date could
> also tie in with the end of European season.
>
> Whether the All Blacks step up to play the American Eagles
> is another
> matter.
>
> The All Blacks have only played the United States three
> times - winning
> 51-3 in California way back in 1913 and then winning 53-6 in
> San Diego
> in 1980 and lastly 46-6 at the 1991 World Cup in England.
>
> New Zealand Maori have had involvement with the US national
> side through
> the Churchill Cup.

I saw this, don't get too excited, it it just a money spinner and will
further wreck the traditions of the game,

01 Feb 2008 05:07:22
Ali Day

On Feb 1, 12:42 pm, dudley <dudleymoore2...@googlemail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:55 pm, Rugby Dan <rugby...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> >http://www.stuff.co.nz/4382425a1823.html
>
> > Friday, 01 Feb 2008
>
> > All Blacks could play test in USA
>
> > By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven
>
> > The All Blacks are being tipped to line out against Ireland
> > in a neutral
> > test in New Jersey as part of New Zealand's new agreement
> > with the
> > United States rugby union.
>
> > The two countries signed a five-year deal yesterday that
> > will see New
> > Zealand help the development of the American game while
> > hoping to cash
> > in on lucrative commercial opportunities in the massive
> > United States
> > market.
>
> > The New Zealand Rugby Union has made no secret of its desire
> > to have the
> > All Blacks playing glamour matches in neutral venues where
> > significant
> > revenue can be generated.
>
> > NZRU officials are currently in Hong Kong finalising
> > arrangements for a
> > test there against Australia in October.
>
> > But there is clearly appeal in tapping into the United
> > States where
> > rugby remains stalled in its infancy despite plenty of
> > resources.
>
> > The large Irish population in New York and New Jersey lends
> > itself to
> > the possibility of a test being played there.
>
> > In following up yesterday's announcement TV3 has suggested a
> > test
> > between the All Blacks and Ireland was a real possibility as
> > early as
> > next year.
>
> > NZRU officials certainly didn't squash that suggestion and
> > USA rugby
> > officials said a test involving New Zealand and Ireland at
> > the famous
> > Giants Stadium in New Jersey would be "a dream" for American
> > rugby.
>
> > The United States is a natural stopover for the All Blacks
> > on the way to
> > their traditional end of year tours to Europe and a mid-year
> > date could
> > also tie in with the end of European season.
>
> > Whether the All Blacks step up to play the American Eagles
> > is another
> > matter.
>
> > The All Blacks have only played the United States three
> > times - winning
> > 51-3 in California way back in 1913 and then winning 53-6 in
> > San Diego
> > in 1980 and lastly 46-6 at the 1991 World Cup in England.
>
> > New Zealand Maori have had involvement with the US national
> > side through
> > the Churchill Cup.
>
> I saw this, don't get too excited, it it just a money spinner and will
> further wreck the traditions of the game,

And therein lines alot of problems with the game. If tradition isn't
thrown out the window at times the game will never expand. Yes it's a
show pony match, yes rugby will never compete with american footie,
but lets face it USA are in the world cup (lets not get into
sacrificial lamb arguments) and considering teams often play romania
georgia canada, and they're only one place behind Japan, then I think
it's right that the profile of the game is given a boost. And what
better could you ask for, having the most marketable team in the world
there at least might gain some more interest in the game, and try and
tap into that market.

01 Feb 2008 06:45:08

On Feb 1, 1:07=A0pm, Ali Day <Alasdair....@gmail.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > > side through
> > > the Churchill Cup.
>
> > I saw this, don't get too excited, it it just a money spinner and will
> > further wreck the traditions of the game,
>
> And therein lines alot of problems with the game. If tradition isn't
> thrown out the window at times the game will never expand. Yes it's a
> show pony match, yes rugby will never compete with american footie,
> but lets face it USA are in the world cup (lets not get into
> sacrificial lamb arguments) and considering teams often play romania
> georgia canada, and they're only one place behind Japan, then I think
> it's right that the profile of the game is given a boost. And what
> better could you ask for, having the most marketable team in the world
> there at least might gain some more interest in the game, and try and
> tap into that market.- Hide quoted text -

'cos England will fear losing their place as the richest top flight
rugby nation (along with a lot of players I imagine).

01 Feb 2008 09:33:12
Dave Keegan

On Feb 1, 6:42 am, dudley <dudleymoore2...@googlemail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:55 pm, Rugby Dan <rugby...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> >http://www.stuff.co.nz/4382425a1823.html
>
> > Friday, 01 Feb 2008
>
> > All Blacks could play test in USA
>
> > By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven
>
> > The All Blacks are being tipped to line out against Ireland
> > in a neutral
> > test in New Jersey as part of New Zealand's new agreement
> > with the
> > United States rugby union.
>
> > The two countries signed a five-year deal yesterday that
> > will see New
> > Zealand help the development of the American game while
> > hoping to cash
> > in on lucrative commercial opportunities in the massive
> > United States
> > market.
>
> > The New Zealand Rugby Union has made no secret of its desire
> > to have the
> > All Blacks playing glamour matches in neutral venues where
> > significant
> > revenue can be generated.
>
> > NZRU officials are currently in Hong Kong finalising
> > arrangements for a
> > test there against Australia in October.
>
> > But there is clearly appeal in tapping into the United
> > States where
> > rugby remains stalled in its infancy despite plenty of
> > resources.
>
> > The large Irish population in New York and New Jersey lends
> > itself to
> > the possibility of a test being played there.
>
> > In following up yesterday's announcement TV3 has suggested a
> > test
> > between the All Blacks and Ireland was a real possibility as
> > early as
> > next year.
>
> > NZRU officials certainly didn't squash that suggestion and
> > USA rugby
> > officials said a test involving New Zealand and Ireland at
> > the famous
> > Giants Stadium in New Jersey would be "a dream" for American
> > rugby.
>
> > The United States is a natural stopover for the All Blacks
> > on the way to
> > their traditional end of year tours to Europe and a mid-year
> > date could
> > also tie in with the end of European season.
>
> > Whether the All Blacks step up to play the American Eagles
> > is another
> > matter.
>
> > The All Blacks have only played the United States three
> > times - winning
> > 51-3 in California way back in 1913 and then winning 53-6 in
> > San Diego
> > in 1980 and lastly 46-6 at the 1991 World Cup in England.
>
> > New Zealand Maori have had involvement with the US national
> > side through
> > the Churchill Cup.
>
> I saw this, don't get too excited, it it just a money spinner and will
> further wreck the traditions of the game,

Don't be an idiot dudley. All rugby is based around money spinning
now. This is not a realignment of the poles, but it's an effort at
expanding the game even if it's a drop in the bucket in the US, and
such efforts shouldn't be pooh poohed by serious rugby fans.

Don't get excited? Giant Stadium is just up the New Jersey
turnpike. A rugby road trip, with the possibility of meeting up with
old friends and new (GHFAN beware) and capped by the All Blacks
playing Ireland? Bring it on.

Keegan...

02 Feb 2008 09:01:21
mg

"dudley" <dudleymoore2006@googlemail.com > wrote in message

> I saw this, don't get too excited, it it just a money spinner and will
> further wreck the traditions of the game,

What like the RWC has?

Go write another one-sided story about it and spam the url here. You know
you want to.

02 Feb 2008 17:29:47

On Feb 1, 10:55=A0am, Rugby Dan <rugby...@bellsouth.net > wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4382425a1823.html
>
> Friday, 01 Feb 2008
>
> All Blacks could play test in USA

And even better news is regular S14 games in LA.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4385817a1823.html

<snip >
USA Rugby's chairman Kevin Roberts: "We'll have our own Super 6 with
the Canadian teams this year, in 2009 we'll include the Argentinian
provinces and within the next time-frame have a (Super 14) franchise
based in LA.
</snip >

Still a few years away but certainly beats a weekend in Hamilton or
Chch.

Hope the Argentinian provinces get into the Super 6. Having "domestic"
teams in "international" tournaments raises the skill level. S14/HC as
opposed to NPC/ML

Regards
Lodi