19 Jan 2007 11:17:06
Mike Sullivan
revolutionary coaching launch?

Looks like you can coach a crew from overhead:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/19/BAGE7NLI001.DTL

I can't see any other use for such an outlandish contraption
(what in TARnation!)

Looks like someone with too much money met someone with
too much time.

Reminds me of the Jimmie Buffett song, Gypsies in the Palace.

19 Jan 2007 23:19:22
Henry Law
Re: revolutionary coaching launch?

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> Looks like you can coach a crew from overhead:
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/19/BAGE7NLI001.DTL
>

> I can't see any other use for such an outlandish contraption
> (what in TARnation!)

Very cool, but isn't it just a catamaran, albeit with the central
section humped up rather than the more usual hammock-like arrangements
between the rigid members. Why does it need to be stuck up like that,
and what benefits (other than as a coaching launch) does it confer, to
make up for its slightly less stability?

Wait, I know, we could put slides on top of each of the hulls, maybe get
a couple of dozen rowers on top of each, with blades out on each side,
so you'd have two sets of port rowers and two starboard. Cox would be
up on top, of course.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

20 Jan 2007 16:31:54
JD
Re: revolutionary coaching launch?

Sul:

It looks like something out of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I
wouldn't trust it in rough sea conditions - too spindly for me.

JD

Henry Law wrote:
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
> > Looks like you can coach a crew from overhead:
> >
> > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/19/BAGE7NLI001.DTL
> >

> > I can't see any other use for such an outlandish contraption
> > (what in TARnation!)
>
> Very cool, but isn't it just a catamaran, albeit with the central
> section humped up rather than the more usual hammock-like arrangements
> between the rigid members. Why does it need to be stuck up like that,
> and what benefits (other than as a coaching launch) does it confer, to
> make up for its slightly less stability?
>
> Wait, I know, we could put slides on top of each of the hulls, maybe get
> a couple of dozen rowers on top of each, with blades out on each side,
> so you'd have two sets of port rowers and two starboard. Cox would be
> up on top, of course.
>
> --
>
> Henry Law Manchester, England

21 Jan 2007 14:22:54
Re: revolutionary coaching launch?

It look like a very smart idea I thing is really good on chop. The
titanium springs and the suspended cabin should guarantee a pretty good
comfort in choppy water it might be rougher on very bad water but I
assume that is a scale prototype so a bigger version should able to
handle any type of water. Finally some "new ideas"!
Marco

JD wrote:
> Sul:
>
> It looks like something out of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I
> wouldn't trust it in rough sea conditions - too spindly for me.
>
> JD
>
> Henry Law wrote:
> > Mike Sullivan wrote:
> > > Looks like you can coach a crew from overhead:
> > >
> > > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/19/BAGE7NLI001.DTL
> > >

> > > I can't see any other use for such an outlandish contraption
> > > (what in TARnation!)
> >
> > Very cool, but isn't it just a catamaran, albeit with the central
> > section humped up rather than the more usual hammock-like arrangements
> > between the rigid members. Why does it need to be stuck up like that,
> > and what benefits (other than as a coaching launch) does it confer, to
> > make up for its slightly less stability?
> >
> > Wait, I know, we could put slides on top of each of the hulls, maybe get
> > a couple of dozen rowers on top of each, with blades out on each side,
> > so you'd have two sets of port rowers and two starboard. Cox would be
> > up on top, of course.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Henry Law Manchester, England

22 Jan 2007 11:33:01
JD
Re: revolutionary coaching launch?

The thing gives me the willies. If one looks at the bends on the beams
that support the center "fuselage", the angles appear to be great
stress points. I have no clue if they would fail from a single stress
event, but it seems that one would have to be checking those points
and doing repairs constantly, especially with 710 HP worth of diesels
below.
-JD

marco.bovo@gmail.com wrote:
> It look like a very smart idea I thing is really good on chop. The
> titanium springs and the suspended cabin should guarantee a pretty good
> comfort in choppy water it might be rougher on very bad water but I
> assume that is a scale prototype so a bigger version should able to
> handle any type of water. Finally some "new ideas"!
> Marco
>

> JD wrote:
> > Sul:
> >
> > It looks like something out of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I
> > wouldn't trust it in rough sea conditions - too spindly for me.
> >
> > JD
> >
> > Henry Law wrote:

> > > Very cool, but isn't it just a catamaran, albeit with the central
> > > section humped up rather than the more usual hammock-like arrangements
> > > between the rigid members. Why does it need to be stuck up like that,
> > > and what benefits (other than as a coaching launch) does it confer, to
> > > make up for its slightly less stability?
> > >
> > > Wait, I know, we could put slides on top of each of the hulls, maybe get
> > > a couple of dozen rowers on top of each, with blades out on each side,
> > > so you'd have two sets of port rowers and two starboard. Cox would be
> > > up on top, of course.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Henry Law Manchester, England

24 Jan 2007 05:44:12
Walter Martindale

Mike Sullivan wrote:

> Looks like you can coach a crew from overhead:
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/19/BAGE7NLI001.DTL
>

> I can't see any other use for such an outlandish contraption
> (what in TARnation!)
>
> Looks like someone with too much money met someone with
> too much time.
>
> Reminds me of the Jimmie Buffett song, Gypsies in the Palace.

Next adaptation - foils...