26 May 2004 12:58:57
Nick Suess
perdition

I happened to watch the movie "Road to Perdition" last night, and was most
intrigued by its opening lines. These are precisely as follows:

"There are many stories about Michael Sullivan. Some say he was a decent
man. Some say there was no good in him at all."

So there you have it!

25 May 2004 22:35:24
Mike Sullivan
Re: perdition

"Nick Suess" <nick@scull.com.au > wrote in message
> I happened to watch the movie "Road to Perdition" last night, and was most
> intrigued by its opening lines. These are precisely as follows:
>
> "There are many stories about Michael Sullivan. Some say he was a decent
> man. Some say there was no good in him at all."

A friend of mine and JDs (Rick) was in town this week visiting from his home
in Sri Lanka.
We all rowed together and are so close we could fart in the same coke
bottle.

In the conversation with our other good pal, Bill, I was reminded of the day
in 1975
when we were down in Newport for Rick's wedding. JD, Bill, and Bruce were
in Seattle
at the time, and I was going to get collected from SF to go back up there
with them to
train. They picked me up in SF, we drove down to Rick's wedding (where I
wrote an
awesome poem) and we were going to head straight back to Seattle together.

While in Newport, I hooked up with an ex-girlfriend who I never quite broke
up with
but had moved on to a new boyfriend, you rowers all know what that's all
about. Audrey
looked like Audrey Hepburn, I always thought her beautiful, and a sweetheart
of a girl.

Anyway, her sister was dying of anorexia, the hospital was losing, her
parents were in
tears. I was partying and trying to get back in Audrey's pants like the
good 23 year old I was.

I volunteered to take her sister with us to Seattle to live. Told her
parents that we were
oblivious enough to people's problems that the girl would probably figure
out how to take
care of herself and eat something. I didn't ask any of my pals about this
arrangement. We
were all out separately partying with various ex's and friends. Bill told
the story the other night
about how we met at the Irvine boathouse on Sunday night and I showed up
with Audrey's frail
little tiny sister and we loaded her stuff in the van. I was prolly still
drunk as was everybody else
when I either asked or told them that she was going to move in with us.

In my mind, I always thought I'd checked with somebody before this happened,
but as Bill told
this story it was obviously true, that I just assumed my friends would cover
for me, and not one
of them complained. What an asshole I was. JD always said I was a nice
guy trying to be an
asshole, while he was an asshole trying to be a nice guy. But neither of us
can be that bad if
we are trying to do the right thing by somebody, even if it looks
ridiculous, and even if you maybe
take your friends for granted along the way.

Audrey's sister was quite a story that winter, freaked us out at times, but
she didn't die, flew
home by Christmas, and now has a fine family of her own, I hear. None of us
made the Olympic
team anyway that year, so it wasn't her fault. Bill, at least, ended up
with a PhD, but also
picked up a bad wife, so it evened out I guess.

As far as stories go. I just saw Big Fish on video this weekend. I cried
like a baby, best movie
I've seen this millenium.

sul

25 May 2004 22:41:38
Mike Sullivan
Re: perdition

"Nick Suess" <nick@scull.com.au > wrote in message
> I happened to watch the movie "Road to Perdition" last night, and was most
> intrigued by its opening lines. These are precisely as follows:
>
> "There are many stories about Michael Sullivan. Some say he was a decent
> man. Some say there was no good in him at all."

A friend of mine and JDs (Rick) was in town this
week visiting from his homein Sri Lanka.
We all rowed together and are so close we
could fart in the same coke bottle.

In the conversation with our other good pal, Bill, I was
reminded of the day in 1975 when we were down in
Newport for Rick's wedding. JD, Bill, and Bruce were
in Seattle at the time, and I was going to get collected
from SF to go back up there
with them to train.

They picked me up in SF, we drove down to Rick's
wedding (where I wrote anawesome poem) and we
were going to head straight back to Seattle together.

While in Newport, I hooked up with an ex-girlfriend
who I never quite broke up with but she had moved
on to a new boyfriend, you rowers all know what that's all
about. Audrey looked like Audrey Hepburn, I always thought
her beautiful, and a sweetheart of a girl.

Anyway, her sister was dying of anorexia, the hospital was
losing, her parents were intears. I was partying and trying to
get back in Audrey's pants like thegood 23 year old I was.

I volunteered to take her sister with us to Seattle to live. Told her
parents that we wereoblivious enough to people's problems
that the girl would probably figure out how to take
care of herself and eat something. I didn't ask any of my
pals about thisarrangement. We were all out separately partying
with various ex's and friends. Bill told the story the other night
about how we met at the Irvine boathouse on Sunday night and I
showed up with Audrey's frail little tiny dying sister and we loaded her
stuff in the van. I was prolly still drunk as was everybody else
when I either asked or told them that she was going to move in with us.

In my mind, I always thought I'd checked with somebody before
this happened, but as Bill told his story it was obviously true, that
I just assumed my friends would cover for me, and not one
of them complained. What an asshole I was. JD always said I
was a nice guy trying to be an asshole, while he was an asshole
trying to be a nice guy. But neither of us can be that bad if
we are trying to do the right thing by somebody, even if it looks
ridiculous, and even if you maybe
take your friends for granted along the way.

Audrey's sister was quite a story that winter, freaked us
out at times, but she didn't die, flew home by Christmas,
and now has a fine family of her own, I hear. None of us
made the Olympic team anyway that year, it wasn't her fault.
Bill, at least, ended up with a PhD, but also
picked up a bad wife, so it evened out I guess.

As far as stories go. I just saw Big Fish on video this weekend. I cried
like a baby, best movie I've seen this millenium.

sul

26 May 2004 06:46:15
John Davis
Re: perdition

Sully:

I have that coke bottle in a box of memorabilia somewhere around the
house. I'll bring it to the next reunion to prove your assertion
about closeness. Personally, I think middle-age spread, like the
miles that separate us, may prevent us from achieving previous
successes - we may have to take turns.

By the way, you did ask me.

JD

"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote in message news:<c91amk$4lb$1@news.Stanford.EDU>...
> [...]
> I just assumed my friends would cover for me, and not one
> of them complained. What an asshole I was. JD always said I
> was a nice guy trying to be an asshole, while he was an asshole
> trying to be a nice guy. But neither of us can be that bad if
> we are trying to do the right thing by somebody, even if it looks
> ridiculous, and even if you maybe
> take your friends for granted along the way.
>
> Audrey's sister was quite a story that winter, freaked us
> out at times, but she didn't die, flew home by Christmas,
> and now has a fine family of her own, I hear. None of us
> made the Olympic team anyway that year, it wasn't her fault.
> Bill, at least, ended up with a PhD, but also
> picked up a bad wife, so it evened out I guess.
>
> As far as stories go. I just saw Big Fish on video this weekend. I cried
> like a baby, best movie I've seen this millenium.

26 May 2004 17:17:01
Jay
Re: perdition

John Davis wrote:
> [...]
>>I just assumed my friends would cover for me, and not one
>>of them complained. What an asshole I was. JD always said I
>>was a nice guy trying to be an asshole, while he was an asshole
>>trying to be a nice guy. But neither of us can be that bad if
>>we are trying to do the right thing by somebody, even if it looks
>>ridiculous, and even if you maybe
>>take your friends for granted along the way.
>>
>>Audrey's sister was quite a story that winter, freaked us
>>out at times, but she didn't die, flew home by Christmas,
>>and now has a fine family of her own, I hear. None of us
>>made the Olympic team anyway that year, it wasn't her fault.
>>Bill, at least, ended up with a PhD, but also
>>picked up a bad wife, so it evened out I guess.
>>
>>As far as stories go. I just saw Big Fish on video this weekend. I cried
>>like a baby, best movie I've seen this millenium.

Is this related to rowing in any minuscule way? ;)
'Cause somehow I think this post might start a world war or something
triggered by the posting of odd e-mail's on RSR, possibly spy traffic? ;)

Have a good one!!! (seeing as it's our last)

Jay

26 May 2004 17:30:34
Kieran
Re: perdition

"Jay" <just_j.REMOVE@icon.co.za.THIS > wrote in message
> Is this related to rowing in any minuscule way? ;)
> 'Cause somehow I think this post might start a world war or something
> triggered by the posting of odd e-mail's on RSR, possibly spy traffic? ;)
>
> Have a good one!!! (seeing as it's our last)
>
> Jay

If you can't see that this is directly related to rowing, then you haven't
yet discovered truly the greatest aspects of rowing. Keep showing up for
practice, and some day you'll learn to appreciate sul's (and other's)
stories.

Keep 'em coming sully.

And, thanks for the congrats on my coaching job. Looking forward to it.

-Kieran