28 Jul 2005 15:00:34
Mike Sullivan
boathouse bitch, pt II

This is what's really weird about it.

A bunch of people in the club got all pissed off because the
two junior programs on site would empty the entire yard
of all the Aeros and singles at prime hours where working
stiffs row. The kids of course would head home and play
nintendo or nap.

The boats were universally mishandled and parts would
be strewn and boats/oars left out, misracked, people
started getting emotional.

I was the one who pleaded for calm, it's a good thing
for the kids to be sculling I reasoned, the coaches need
to be taught, and in the future, better planning undertaken
about when these summer programs are run. I had no
time or energy to take on the load of straightening it all out.

Before I can think, I find myself out at 5 in the morning
instructing the little darlings how to carry boats, how to
launch, etc. Soon the whole shebang has become my
responsibility.

Last week, two older girls went to the very top rack to a
seldom used Pocock 2X as the 2X they usually used was
grabbed by two other kids. It is very difficult to get that boat
down, but they did it, when they discovered why that boat had
been racked so high, it had missing seats and was un-rowable.

They put it back in a prime rack, and jumped into something else.

These two are freshmen in college, graduates of the jr
program.

The other kids came in, the only rack left for the frequently
rowed 2X(hudson) was the extremely difficult one, they managed to
get it back in.

I kindly suggested to the girls that they re-rack the boats the way
they were so the well used 2X could be easily launched.

'Do we have to do it now? got to go to work'
Hey, I'm no bitch. 'No, do it asap though'.

I go home for the long weekend. Come back Monday. 2X still mis-racked.
I hear complaint from other member that one of the pins is bent, suggesting
the boat may have been dropped over the weekend. Of course we can't tell
who might have done it since the log book hadn't been filled out for it.

hmmm....

So the girls come up to me this week and say: Gee, Mike, do we still have
switch those two doubles? The Hudson is unrowable now too, the pin
is bent!

I'd love to have a picture of the look on my face then.
something like this maybe?
http://www.montclair.edu/Pages/FineArts/graphicdesign/gdold/students/webclass/fiorenza/photos/jwmouth.jpg

Mike

29 Jul 2005 19:16:25