28 Jul 2005 09:21:22
Mike Sullivan
boathouse bitch

Who else here is the boathouse bitch? Who else here feels like
they're the only one on the tarmac enforcing proper boat handling,
ragging on people about proper lighting, yelling at parents not to
double park, checking that people fill the logs? Who else
stops rowing, races across to hunt down a sculler from your boathouse
who's on the wrong side of the course and shows them where
to go (in more ways than one)?

I'm fricken tired of it. It's one thing up at Clear Lake where nobody
knows jack about anything, but in Redwood City I've got former
national rowers around who couldn't catch a clue with a fishing net.

I don't mind helping out, but somewhere along the line I've found my
role has changed from the kindly wise old geezer dispensing gems of
wisdom among an eager audience to a shrill bitter old crone with
spittle caked punctuation ignored by eye rolling little pixies and
their tight lipped coaches and parents.

My week at the beach house can't come too soon.....

Mike








28 Jul 2005 18:25:40
liz
Re: boathouse bitch

sounds familiar...

liz

"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote in message
news:dcb0m2$1bf$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Who else here is the boathouse bitch? Who else here feels like
> they're the only one on the tarmac enforcing proper boat handling,
> ragging on people about proper lighting, yelling at parents not to
> double park, checking that people fill the logs? Who else
> stops rowing, races across to hunt down a sculler from your boathouse
> who's on the wrong side of the course and shows them where
> to go (in more ways than one)?
>
> I'm fricken tired of it. It's one thing up at Clear Lake where nobody
> knows jack about anything, but in Redwood City I've got former
> national rowers around who couldn't catch a clue with a fishing net.
>
> I don't mind helping out, but somewhere along the line I've found my
> role has changed from the kindly wise old geezer dispensing gems of
> wisdom among an eager audience to a shrill bitter old crone with
> spittle caked punctuation ignored by eye rolling little pixies and
> their tight lipped coaches and parents.
>
> My week at the beach house can't come too soon.....
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
>
>




28 Jul 2005 11:18:53
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote in message
news:42e91514$0$28658$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> sounds familiar...

I feel possessed, it's insane.

Coming in to work this morning I recalled when my kids
were really small and in a room with a bunch of other
tots. One kid was always crying. Most of the time, I'm
sure it was legit, banged finger, or tripped, or someone
took his/her toy away. But it was only one kid. If another
kid got hurt, he/she would start crying, the initial cryer would
stop. Never would there be two at the same time.

I've seen it where two kids would simply take turns
like a tag team.

If there's enough kids, there's always someone crying, and
if there isn't a good reason to, one of them will cry anyway.

It's an interesting phenom, maybe akin to pain in the
nervous system. Does your back ache? Stub your toe
badly and the back pain goes away. Have an annoying
itch? Bonk your head on something hard....

So I wonder if the 'bitch' is simply a role that must be played
whether or not there's a legit reason to do it, and
more than one person can't do it at a time, anymore than
two kids can cry at the same time.

I hate it...

Mike




28 Jul 2005 19:37:03
mpruscoe
Re: boathouse bitch

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> So I wonder if the 'bitch' is simply a role that must be played
> whether or not there's a legit reason to do it, and
> more than one person can't do it at a time, anymore than
> two kids can cry at the same time.
>

Isn't that person normally called the Captain, or if they're not they
eventually will be?


28 Jul 2005 12:02:37
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"mpruscoe" <mpruscoe@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:dcb8kd$dnv$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
>> So I wonder if the 'bitch' is simply a role that must be played
>> whether or not there's a legit reason to do it, and
>> more than one person can't do it at a time, anymore than
>> two kids can cry at the same time.
>>
>
> Isn't that person normally called the Captain, or if they're not they
> eventually will be?

I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
it's an 'assumed position'... :^)




28 Jul 2005 13:57:35
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch



Mike Sullivan wrote:
> I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
> it's an 'assumed position'... :^)

Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.

Taniwha



29 Jul 2005 09:02:32
Kevin Strickland
Re: boathouse bitch


"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote in message
news:dcb0m2$1bf$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Who else here is the boathouse bitch? Who else here feels like
> they're the only one on the tarmac enforcing proper boat handling,
> ragging on people about proper lighting, yelling at parents not to
> double park, checking that people fill the logs? Who else
> stops rowing, races across to hunt down a sculler from your boathouse
> who's on the wrong side of the course and shows them where
> to go (in more ways than one)?
>
> I'm fricken tired of it. It's one thing up at Clear Lake where nobody
> knows jack about anything, but in Redwood City I've got former
> national rowers around who couldn't catch a clue with a fishing net.
>
> I don't mind helping out, but somewhere along the line I've found my
> role has changed from the kindly wise old geezer dispensing gems of
> wisdom among an eager audience to a shrill bitter old crone with
> spittle caked punctuation ignored by eye rolling little pixies and
> their tight lipped coaches and parents.
>
> My week at the beach house can't come too soon.....
>
> Mike

I know exactly how you feel, I did it for 3 years & this year I said know
more, I ended up hating teenagers ( 90 of them), parents & coaches who have
their own agendas & don't care about other coaches or crews.
Teenagers who play up on trips & don't follow boat house rules when
preparing to take boats out onto the water, girls who leave the changing
room in a disgusting state. ( really disgusting)
Parents who turn up at 5.30 am to demand from a coach the reasons their
precious is not in a crew. Chasing them up for fees & payment for regattas
I found that going down to the club not fun at all. So this year I am
coaching some novice masters women and we turn up when the place is
deserted.

Kevin




28 Jul 2005 14:03:38
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch



Taniwha wrote:
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
> > I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
> > it's an 'assumed position'... :^)
>
> Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.
>
> Taniwha

Or kilometres!



28 Jul 2005 23:05:18
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: boathouse bitch

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:02:32 +1200, Kevin Strickland wrote:
> girls who leave the changing
> room in a disgusting state. ( really disgusting)

What, wearing leopard print unisuits?!

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/


28 Jul 2005 22:08:37
Jon Anderson
Re: boathouse bitch

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
> it's an 'assumed position'... :^)

Mike you are a legend.

Jon (semi-bitch)
--
Durge: jon@durge.org http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: accounts@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]


28 Jul 2005 22:10:32
liz
Re: boathouse bitch


"Ewoud Dronkert" <firstname@lastname.net.invalid > wrote in message
news:80iie1dug36t48e5krv88mo3bi5s2eeobr@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:02:32 +1200, Kevin Strickland wrote:
>> girls who leave the changing
>> room in a disgusting state. ( really disgusting)
>
> What, wearing leopard print unisuits?!

or worse - wearing toweling shorts and vest tops...

(arghhhhhh!!!!)




28 Jul 2005 14:29:57
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"Taniwha" <david.mccowan@xtra.co.nz > wrote in message
news:1122584255.388142.213770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
>> I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
>> it's an 'assumed position'... :^)
>
> Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.

hmmm. 140 miles is how many kms?

I guess I could look it up.
Mike




28 Jul 2005 14:45:14
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"Kevin Strickland" <strickos@xtra.co.nz > wrote in message
news:FJbGe.4249$PL5.391649@news.xtra.co.nz...
>
> "Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote in message
> news:dcb0m2$1bf$1@news.Stanford.EDU...

snip

> I know exactly how you feel, I did it for 3 years & this year I said know
> more, I ended up hating teenagers ( 90 of them), parents & coaches who
> have their own agendas & don't care about other coaches or crews.

The 'boathouse bitch' job is not the same job as club captain
or head coach or president or director.

In this place, there are a number of programs that run out of the
same place each of them have captains or coaches, etc. The
boathouse bitch role is a role that might be played by one of them
who necessarily may not have authority over the others. It's quite
a nice place overall, but my whine is that I have found myself drooling
and spitting all over everybody in the mornings.

I've been head coach of a program, and it was my responsibility
to enforce rules of safety and proper boathouse management. That
was no problem, I never had to be a 'boathouse bitch', I had
the authority to whisper a suggestion or a gentle reminder to the
troops that boat towels not end up on the ground and somebody
would eagerly volunteer to wash those towels. It would be years
before a towel hit the deck again. sigh.

Mike







28 Jul 2005 22:52:12
Carl Douglas
Re: boathouse bitch

Kevin Strickland <strickos@xtra.co.nz > writes
>
>"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote in message
<Snip >
>
>>
>> My week at the beach house can't come too soon.....
>>
>> Mike
>
>I know exactly how you feel, I did it for 3 years & this year I said know
>more, I ended up hating teenagers ( 90 of them), parents & coaches who have
>their own agendas & don't care about other coaches or crews.
>Teenagers who play up on trips & don't follow boat house rules when
>preparing to take boats out onto the water, girls who leave the changing
>room in a disgusting state. ( really disgusting)
>Parents who turn up at 5.30 am to demand from a coach the reasons their
>precious is not in a crew. Chasing them up for fees & payment for regattas
>I found that going down to the club not fun at all. So this year I am
>coaching some novice masters women and we turn up when the place is
>deserted.
>
>Kevin
>
>
Aren't you, in reality, saying that these kids are spoilt little sods, &
some of their parents are no better? Isn't that because nowadays no one
dare speak harshly for fear of upsetting their little egos for good, let
alone actively restrain any child who goes right over the edge of
acceptable behaviour? And this despite the obvious damage that one
uncontrolled miscreant does to the object of the exercise, to the safety
of all concerned, to everyone's enjoyment & to the (IMHO more important)
interests & upbringing all the other, better-behaved kids.

Parents who've lost any remaining grip on their over-indulged,
self-centred & abusive sprogs nevertheless see fit to burden decent,
concerned guys like Sully (are there any others left like Sully?), with
these damaged fruits of their loins. And then they have the gall to
criticise, pressure & blame those who dare try to put back into their
kids that sense of decency & constructive purpose which they had failed
to instil & which society now denies anyone the right to enforce -
perhaps because they can't bear to see anyone succeed where they have
failed.

The inevitable outcome of all this is that kids these days have less
real fun, have their childhoods stolen, lose their ways, become damaged
adults, & society spirals a few more notches downwards. The really
shitty kids bully & wreck the lives of the rest in ways and to degrees
which no adult would be allowed to do. In fact, as Thatcher once said,
now there really is no such thing as Society. And there's sod all that
we can apparently do about it. Dave H commented poignantly on this very
subject a few months back. And I write this with some feeling, for
reasons just a few readers may know & upon which I have no wish to
elaborate.

Rowing, as Sully does it, is probably the best last hope for many kids.
I think if he were to promptly exclude every miscreant who oversteps a
defined set of marks (having explained this rule at the outset to every
parent/guardian), then you would have a better chance of improving the
lot of all these kids. A few would certainly lose out, & perhaps be
rather unpleasant about it. A few more would drop out - but most of
them were always going to be lost causes. But most kids really respect
rules which they know, by instruction or correction, that they can't
bend. And they really do enjoy well structured, no nonsense sporting
activity.

So good luck to Mike -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: The Boathouse, Timsway, Chertsey Lane, Staines TW18 3JY, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1784-456344 Fax: -466550
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)



28 Jul 2005 15:12:11
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch



Mike Sullivan wrote:
Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.
>
> hmmm. 140 miles is how many kms?
>
> I guess I could look it up.
> Mike

Assuming American/English miles - 225/224.

If you are travelling that much, maybe that could be part of the stress
factor. No-one likes being a bitch, but if you're travelling hours to
it can only add to the apparent futility of it all.

Taniwha.



28 Jul 2005 15:12:22
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"Carl Douglas" <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk > wrote in message
news:OF3Rx6GMOV6CFwyV@rowing-cdrs.demon.co.uk...
> Kevin Strickland <strickos@xtra.co.nz> writes
>>
>>"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote in message

snip

> Rowing, as Sully does it, is probably the best last hope for many kids. I
> think if he were to promptly exclude every miscreant who oversteps a
> defined set of marks (having explained this rule at the outset to every
> parent/guardian), then you would have a better chance of improving the lot
> of all these kids. A few would certainly lose out, & perhaps be rather
> unpleasant about it. A few more would drop out - but most of them were
> always going to be lost causes. But most kids really respect rules which
> they know, by instruction or correction, that they can't bend. And they
> really do enjoy well structured, no nonsense sporting activity.

The kids are awesome. It's amazing what some of these little wee sprogs
will do and do well. But most kids are parented pretty badly.

I got no problem with the kids





28 Jul 2005 15:23:40
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch



Kevin Strickland wrote:
> ... I ended up hating teenagers ( 90 of them), parents & coaches who have
> their own agendas & don't care about other coaches or crews.
>
> Kevin

I found a pocketful of committee nomination acceptance forms shut most
of them up. A couple have made good committee members.

Taniwha.



28 Jul 2005 16:25:43
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"Taniwha" <david.mccowan@xtra.co.nz > wrote in message
news:1122588731.111377.223030@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
> Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.
>>
>> hmmm. 140 miles is how many kms?
>>
>> I guess I could look it up.
>> Mike
>
> Assuming American/English miles - 225/224.
>
> If you are travelling that much, maybe that could be part of the stress
> factor. No-one likes being a bitch, but if you're travelling hours to
> it can only add to the apparent futility of it all.

Is 'apparent futility' a diagnosable disease now? I wonder if
i can get meds for it. Do you recommend group counselling
or should I just find a 12 step?

Hmm, I wonder if sarcasm is a symptom of
'apparent futility'......

Tawny darlin, I'm not a 'bitch'. I'm a 'boathouse bitch'.

I'll explain the difference.

A 'bitch' is a woman (could be a man as well) who double
parks her/his SUV in front of the boathouse to make it
convenient for them to be the first to pick up their little
sweetie while making traffic nearly run into each other trying
to avoid her car. A 'bitch' sneers slightly as she rolls down
the window to field a request from a concerned rower
or coach who is worried that a too-fast truck may hit her
car or some other car, or that her double parking may encourage
a long line of double parked cars that then dangerously stop
traffic, and force the city to take immediate action on the
club to enforce more stringent parking requirements (thus
drastically cutting boat storage and programs not to mention
a bill of ~ $40k). A 'bitch'
turns the sneer into a exasperated sigh as she is politely asked
to move to a place she can park and wait, and grumbles
under her breath about the asshole who's screwing up
her morning by asking her to move from her preciously
convenient spot. A 'bitch' probably read the note
her sweetie brought home frequently explaining the pickup
problem and has been asked before not to double park.
A 'bitch' glares at the 'asshole' as she drives away from
her preciously convenient spot.

A 'boathouse bitch' is the 'asshole'.

Got the diff?

Send meds for my 'apparent futility'.
beer. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Mike







29 Jul 2005 00:11:33
sue t
Re: boathouse bitch

You use the term "bitch" as if it's a bad thing. A true bitch is proud of
the designation. And to be a "boathouse bitch" must surely be an honour.
Be proud of your accomplishment.





28 Jul 2005 17:28:46
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch



Mike Sullivan wrote:
>
> Is 'apparent futility' a diagnosable disease now? I wonder if
> i can get meds for it.

The usual cure is alcoholism.

> Do you recommend group counselling or should I just find a 12 step?

I don't know what a 12 step is but group counselling sounds good. I
know a boathouse bitch isn't a club captain, but we were starting a
club captain's club to keep each other sane, but the alcoholism was
better.

> Hmm, I wonder if sarcasm is a symptom of
> 'apparent futility'......

Or is this a case of the chicken and the egg?

> Tawny darlin, I'm not a 'bitch'. I'm a 'boathouse bitch'.

I'm sorry. As the thread is about boathouse bitches I thought I
wouldn't have to put the adjective in.

> A 'bitch' is a woman (could be a man as well)

Like a woman driver doesn't have to be female?


> Send meds for my 'apparent futility'.
> beer. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

I find this rather slow. A good few slugs of MacLeay Duff is better.

Your Darling Tawny



28 Jul 2005 19:20:08
Mike Sullivan
Re: boathouse bitch


"sue t" <ShawniganRower@shaw.ca > wrote in message
news:VueGe.61599$5V4.18128@pd7tw3no...
> You use the term "bitch" as if it's a bad thing. A true bitch is proud of
> the designation. And to be a "boathouse bitch" must surely be an honour.
> Be proud of your accomplishment.

I think that's one of those things I'll never figure out....







29 Jul 2005 02:00:30
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch


Sarah wrote:
> one of those strange virtual community moments.... I always thought you
> were a girl....

He still might be, although, if he's a boathouse bitch he won't be.
It's the same as saying, "She's got balls..."

Taniwha



29 Jul 2005 03:22:19
Re: boathouse bitch

I was so proficient at Boathouse Bitching for my Club that I was asked
to do it on a Regional level!! I found the most irritating response to
one of my nags would be "take it easy, we all do this for fun" - the
concept being true but the reality being that lots of us take fun
seriously!



29 Jul 2005 03:38:57
Rob Collings
Re: boathouse bitch


di@rock-the-boat.co.uk wrote:
> I was so proficient at Boathouse Bitching for my Club that I was asked
> to do it on a Regional level!! I found the most irritating response to
> one of my nags would be "take it easy, we all do this for fun" - the
> concept being true but the reality being that lots of us take fun
> seriously!

Yeah - it's all fun until:
- you can't row because someone's pinched your
shoes/footplate/seat/gate
- someone put a hole in your boat with a rigger
- your club gets banned from the water
- you get a poorly fitted bow ball up your arse (or rather the bow
because the bow ball didn't do it's job)
- you need to use those heel restraints you were going to fix next time
- your blades get nicked because someone left them on the landing
- your club runs out of cox boxes because they keep getting left behind
at regattas.

and so on. It really pisses me off how club equipment gets trashed
because people are so careless. Sometimes I bitch, but I've almost
given up..

Rob.



29 Jul 2005 12:11:00
Alistair Potts
Re: boathouse bitch

I love all this low-level grumbling!

Someone should start a thread entitled "In My Day...."



29 Jul 2005 04:17:39
Re: boathouse bitch


Taniwha wrote:
> Kevin Strickland wrote:
> > ... I ended up hating teenagers ( 90 of them), parents & coaches who have
> > their own agendas & don't care about other coaches or crews.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> I found a pocketful of committee nomination acceptance forms shut most
> of them up. A couple have made good committee members.
>
> Taniwha.

It's all about delivery of the bitching. Do it right and people listen
do it wrong and you get ignored.



29 Jul 2005 12:39:09
Neil Wallace
Re: boathouse bitch

Mike Sullivan wrote:

> The 'boathouse bitch' job is not the same job as club captain
> or head coach or president or director.

it often corresponds to one of the though (although I won't say which for my
specific club!)

From an athlete's point of view, you always have a good look around the car
park on arrival to see if the "boathouse bitch's" car is in town.

Incidentally - Murphy's law dictates that the very fact that you are being
observed by the boathouse bitch when you move a boat makes you 100 times
more likely to damage it.

(Rob Collings can vouch for the last statement)




29 Jul 2005 12:44:38
Carl Douglas
In my day - was "boathouse bitch"

Mike Sullivan <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > writes
>
>"Carl Douglas" <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote
>> Kevin Strickland <strickos@xtra.co.nz> writes
>>>
>>>"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote in message
>
>snip
>
>> Rowing, as Sully does it, is probably the best last hope for many kids. I
>> think if he were to promptly exclude every miscreant who oversteps a
>> defined set of marks (having explained this rule at the outset to every
>> parent/guardian), then you would have a better chance of improving the lot
>> of all these kids. A few would certainly lose out, & perhaps be rather
>> unpleasant about it. A few more would drop out - but most of them were
>> always going to be lost causes. But most kids really respect rules which
>> they know, by instruction or correction, that they can't bend. And they
>> really do enjoy well structured, no nonsense sporting activity.
>
>The kids are awesome. It's amazing what some of these little wee sprogs
>will do and do well. But most kids are parented pretty badly.
>

Trouble is, most parents are rank amateurs at parenting. They're
stuffed full of lovey-dovey theory about kids but learning on the job.
Maybe they're having all kinds of career trouble with other so-called
adults in the "greed is good" job market, & maybe all kinds of trouble
with hubby/wifey because each expects the other to be perfect. They're
seduced by films, ads & shows which say "you are the most important &
powerful person &, if only you throw a wobbly or buy another nice toy,
then all will come right". And then their kids go peculiar, as kids do,
because a) they have a hormone rush & b) their hormonally imbalanced
mates, & all those out there keen to make fast bucks out of kids'
disposable incomes, tell them adults are crap.

So a potent mix of dysfunctional, less dysfunctional & perfectly normal
kids all end up on Uncle Mike Sullivan's boathouse doorstep. Years back
they have cycled over, but that ain't considered safe. And some of them
come complete with parents who are run ragged by the failure of life to
match the plastic dream & just ain't going to take no crap from any mere
boathouse man, especially not from one who lacks the compulsory new SUV
& expects folk to be laid back & Californian.

Should you get Paul down from Washington State to enforce a bit of
no-nonsense parking discipline?

>I got no problem with the kids
>

'Cept those who don't put the 2x back when asked? And those who bend
the pin on the other 2x as a diversionary tactic? And the next one that
takes up the team whinge. And.......

C'mon Mike, you can tell us. We feel your pain
;^)

Carl

PS Was that the sort of thing you were looking for, Alistair? We do
try to please.
C
--
Carl Douglas


29 Jul 2005 05:28:51
Re: In my day - was "boathouse bitch"


Carl Douglas wrote:
> because a) they have a hormone rush & b) their hormonally imbalanced
> mates, & all those out there keen to make fast bucks out of kids'
> disposable incomes, tell them adults are crap.
>
c) Too much Sunny Delight



29 Jul 2005 13:33:15
Alistair Potts
Re: In my day - was "boathouse bitch"

> PS Was that the sort of thing you were looking for, Alistair? We do
> try to please.
> C

Well I'll hold my hand up to being one of your 'amateur' parents, being
somewhat new to the game. However 'rank' is a more appropriate adjective
for my ten-month-old's nappy.


29 Jul 2005 05:34:14
Re: boathouse bitch


> and so on. It really pisses me off how club equipment gets trashed
> because people are so careless. Sometimes I bitch, but I've almost
> given up..
>
> Rob.

Rob

The committee which runs my club pretty much does so behind the scenes,
but I'm moving that we start publishing boat repair invoices soon, 'cos
no one believes how much repairs cost, folk prefer to believes it's
just me (and a few others belly aching) the money could go towards
improving the fleet



29 Jul 2005 06:29:46
Re: boathouse bitch

Sarah wrote:
> one of those strange virtual community moments.... I always thought you
> were a girl....

oh c**p.. this keeps happening - be it in North America (ambiguous
name, thanks to my parents!), or in the UK. One of my ex-girlfriends
thought I was a lesbian for the first few weeks we knew each other
(virtually) on account of my Dundee Uni Women's Captaincy, and the way
I wrote Email. I laughed momentarily when she told me that one, unlike
my crews, who didn't stop laughing for weeks.



29 Jul 2005 15:41:04
Neil Wallace
Re: boathouse bitch

robin_dickinson@hotmail.com wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>> one of those strange virtual community moments.... I always thought
>> you were a girl....
>
> oh c**p.. this keeps happening - be it in North America (ambiguous
> name, thanks to my parents!), or in the UK. One of my ex-girlfriends
> thought I was a lesbian for the first few weeks we knew each other
> (virtually) on account of my Dundee Uni Women's Captaincy, and the way
> I wrote Email. I laughed momentarily when she told me that one,
> unlike my crews, who didn't stop laughing for weeks.


I, on the other hand, am proud to be a lesbian... albeit one trapped in a
man's body.
;o)

Neil.




29 Jul 2005 16:48:32
mislav
Re: boathouse bitch


"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:3kutfjF107a9nU1@individual.net...
> robin_dickinson@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> I, on the other hand, am proud to be a lesbian... albeit one trapped in a
> man's body.

So you live on Lesbos? Can you tell me where is that island exactly? There's
been some debate around here about it's location.




29 Jul 2005 15:59:38
Jon Anderson
Re: boathouse bitch

mislav wrote:
> So you live on Lesbos? Can you tell me where is that island exactly? There's
> been some debate around here about it's location.

http://www.greeka.com/eastern_aegean/eastern_aegean-islands/eastern_aegean-map.gif

Jon
--
Durge: jon@durge.org http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: accounts@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]


29 Jul 2005 17:59:42
mislav
Re: boathouse bitch

Have a look at this: http://www.troya.com.mx/map_index/Troy_5.html




29 Jul 2005 16:31:16
Walter Martindale
Re: boathouse bitch

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> "Taniwha" <david.mccowan@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:1122584255.388142.213770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>>
>>Mike Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>>I don't think the 'boathouse bitch' is an elected position,
>>>it's an 'assumed position'... :^)
>>
>>Be thankful you haven't got two sheds thirty kilometers apart.
>
>
> hmmm. 140 miles is how many kms?
>
> I guess I could look it up.
> Mike
>
>
(aside: Taniwha - pronounced "tanifa" - is the Maori word for monster or
dragon or something like that... On the South Island, most of the big
reggatas are held on Lake Ruataniwha (two monsters - rua is Maori for
two) Taniwha is from somewhere on the North Island)
W (formerly a coach in Southland and Otago)


29 Jul 2005 14:10:01
Rob Collings
Re: boathouse bitch

Neil Wallace wrote:

> Incidentally - Murphy's law dictates that the very fact that you are being
> observed by the boathouse bitch when you move a boat makes you 100 times
> more likely to damage it.
>
> (Rob Collings can vouch for the last statement)

You calling me a bitch? You cow.

Rob.



30 Jul 2005 15:12:13
Taniwha
Re: boathouse bitch


Walter Martindale wrote:
> (aside: Taniwha - pronounced "tanifa" - is the Maori word for monster or
> dragon or something like that... On the South Island, most of the big
> reggatas are held on Lake Ruataniwha (two monsters - rua is Maori for
> two) Taniwha is from somewhere on the North Island)
> W (formerly a coach in Southland and Otago)

A taniwha is a monster that looks after a stretch of river or lake.
They live amongst the sunken logs and in the deep holes with bad
currents. I remember as a kid flicking the water twelve times and
splashing my head before going swimming in the river to settle down the
local taniwha. It's amazing how this subconciously made us think about
the unseen dangers of the river. I didn't worry about the unseen logs
and currents but I was sure scared of the taniwha. If someone drowns,
that part of the river has a tapu put on it for two years. This means
no-one can swim there without enraging the taniwha. Of course this puts
the dangerous parts of the river into everybody's thoughts.

Sounds like there are some wiers etc. around the world that could use a
resident taniwha.

They are the ultimate wharewaka bitch!

(Taniwha are quite powerful. A new stretch of the new main highway that
runs the length of the country was diverted from it's original route
because it was going to damage the river bank where a taniwha lives.)

Taniwha



01 Aug 2005 10:21:32
Re: boathouse bitch

Carl, you made me think of this article:
http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041112-000010.html

Dave



02 Aug 2005 00:16:12
Carl Douglas
Re: boathouse bitch

rowdml@gmail.com writes
>Carl, you made me think of this article:
>http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041112-000010.html
>
>Dave
>

Oh gee! I didn't mean to make anyone feel _that_ bad.

Yesterday I listened to the second part of a BBC radio talk by a young
reporter. She had been trying to get inside the thinking of kids in a
truly feral part of inner London. The tale was horrendous. She told
how kids were assaulted and raped by other kids, whose only response to
the intervention of a maddened parent was, "You can't touch us". Just
listening made me feel murderous. And those kids were put on trial.
But they got off "on a technicality". Then they set about their victim
by phone texts and every other subtle form of harassment known to the
young. Because they can't be touched. And their victim - she trust no
one, not parents, not adults, not the law, and not other kids. It
really is dog eat dog.

Those kids, & all the other off-the-leash kids like them, will in time
destroy thousands of lives before they eventually destroy their own,
setting in train a seemingly unstoppable cycle of cause & utterly
miserable effect. In its own way this tolerated, legally sanctioned
impunity of the juvenile will do more harm to society than recent
terrorist events in the same city.

Perhaps someone can find the URL for those talks, in case anyone here
wants to get themselves really depressed.

Carl
--
Carl Douglas


02 Aug 2005 00:37:16
Carl Douglas
Re: boathouse bitch

Carl Douglas <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk > writes
>rowdml@gmail.com writes
>>Carl, you made me think of this article:
>>http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041112-000010.html
>>
>>Dave
>>
>
>Oh gee! I didn't mean to make anyone feel _that_ bad.
>
>Yesterday I listened to the second part of a BBC radio talk by a young
>reporter.
>
>Perhaps someone can find the URL for those talks, in case anyone here
>wants to get themselves really depressed.
>
Here it is, but not for the faint hearted:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio4/aod.shtml?radio4/gun_for_c
hristmas

Carl
--
Carl Douglas


08 Aug 2005 09:24:23
Nick Suess
Re: boathouse bitch


"Mike Sullivan" <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote in message
news:dcbpho$nur$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Tawny darlin, I'm not a 'bitch'. I'm a 'boathouse bitch'.
>
> I'll explain the difference.
>
> A 'bitch' is a woman (could be a man as well) who double
> parks her/his SUV in front of the boathouse to make it
> convenient for them to be the first to pick up their little
> sweetie while making traffic nearly run into each other trying
> to avoid her car. A 'bitch' sneers slightly as she rolls down
> the window to field a request from a concerned rower
> or coach who is worried that a too-fast truck may hit her
> car or some other car, or that her double parking may encourage
> a long line of double parked cars that then dangerously stop
> traffic, and force the city to take immediate action on the
> club to enforce more stringent parking requirements (thus
> drastically cutting boat storage and programs not to mention
> a bill of ~ $40k). A 'bitch'
> turns the sneer into a exasperated sigh as she is politely asked
> to move to a place she can park and wait, and grumbles
> under her breath about the asshole who's screwing up
> her morning by asking her to move from her preciously
> convenient spot. A 'bitch' probably read the note
> her sweetie brought home frequently explaining the pickup
> problem and has been asked before not to double park.
> A 'bitch' glares at the 'asshole' as she drives away from
> her preciously convenient spot.
>
> A 'boathouse bitch' is the 'asshole'.
>
> Got the diff?
>
> Send meds for my 'apparent futility'.
> beer. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............
>
> Mike

Howyagoin Sul?

Excellent thread. I guess in our many discussions over considerable
quantities of beer we have repeatedly recognised the boathouse bitch in one
another. Maybe that's why we get along so well. Or maybe it's just the
mutual love of beer. But we've both talked about the countless times we've
stuck our necks out, put our heads above the parapet, stood out from the
herd, all in order to try and drive up safety for rowers as the primary
concern, and reduce damage to equipment as the secondary. We've also both
discussed the times we have tried to politely and discreetly educate coaches
we see teaching things that are blatantly incorrect, or at times plain dumb.
And we've received no thanks for doing any of this.

Well, you'll no doubt be delighted to know that these days I'm an
ex-boathouse-bitch. I was born in the previous half-century to you, and I
guess that old age has ultimately snuck up on me. I find that I can simply
no longer be bothered. Let's face it, the future belongs to all those young
folk with a small handful of years in the sport who know vastly more about
it than I do after 4 decades of rowing. And if they create a future that
echoes the one predicted in the article referred to by "Dave"
(rowdml@gmail.com) further down in this thread, well it's for them to enjoy
it, because by then I'll be snug and comfy in that nice warm box.

Nick