22 Jun 2004 09:39:36
Robin Walker
bike/boat combination

Crazy idea for the summer - we are considering building a catamaran type
boat powered by a bicycle. I seem to recall seeing discussion on this NG in
the past, but cannot find it thriough Google groups.

Any ideas?

22 Jun 2004 11:32:17
Carl Douglas
Re: bike/boat combination

Robin Walker <robinwalker@ntlworld.com > writes
>Crazy idea for the summer - we are considering building a catamaran type
>boat powered by a bicycle. I seem to recall seeing discussion on this NG in
>the past, but cannot find it thriough Google groups.
>
>Any ideas?

Hydrofoil catamarans are the way to go.

For a real challenge, consider the "Decavitator", current holder of the
human-powered watercraft world speed record at 18.5kt:
http://lancet.mit.edu/decavitator/
This craft is propelled by a large propellor (in the air)

Or you could examine the "Flying Fish" principle:
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/anthro/fish.html

But perhaps you have more in mind the "Lampi Limo", at the more
pedestrian end of things:
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/anthro/limo.html

Have fun!

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

22 Jun 2004 15:10:10
John Woffinden
Re: bike/boat combination

"Carl Douglas" <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk > wrote in message
> Robin Walker <robinwalker@ntlworld.com> writes
> >Crazy idea for the summer - we are considering building a catamaran type
> >boat powered by a bicycle. I seem to recall seeing discussion on this NG
in
> >the past, but cannot find it thriough Google groups.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >

> Hydrofoil catamarans are the way to go.
>
> For a real challenge, consider the "Decavitator", current holder of the
> human-powered watercraft world speed record at 18.5kt:
> http://lancet.mit.edu/decavitator/
> This craft is propelled by a large propellor (in the air)

Or how about
http://www.seabikes.de/

22 Jun 2004 15:16:32
John Woffinden
Re: bike/boat combination

"John Woffinden" <john@8oar.nospam.com > wrote in message

> "Carl Douglas" <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Robin Walker <robinwalker@ntlworld.com> writes
> > >Crazy idea for the summer - we are considering building a catamaran
type
> > >boat powered by a bicycle. I seem to recall seeing discussion on this
NG
> in
> > >the past, but cannot find it thriough Google groups.
> > >
> > >Any ideas?
> > >

> > Hydrofoil catamarans are the way to go.
> >
> > For a real challenge, consider the "Decavitator", current holder of the
> > human-powered watercraft world speed record at 18.5kt:
> > http://lancet.mit.edu/decavitator/
> > This craft is propelled by a large propellor (in the air)
>
> Or how about
> http://www.seabikes.de/

And lots more ideas here:
http://www.humanpoweredboats.com

John
(Apologies for the double post)

22 Jun 2004 17:06:56
Robin Walker
Re: bike/boat combination

John Woffinden wrote:
> "John Woffinden" <john@8oar.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Carl Douglas" <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Robin Walker <robinwalker@ntlworld.com> writes
NG in

>>> Hydrofoil catamarans are the way to go.
>>>
>>> For a real challenge, consider the "Decavitator", current holder of the
>>> human-powered watercraft world speed record at 18.5kt:
>>> http://lancet.mit.edu/decavitator/
>>> This craft is propelled by a large propellor (in the air)
>>
>> Or how about
>> http://www.seabikes.de/
>>
> And lots more ideas here:
> http://www.humanpoweredboats.com
>
> John
> (Apologies for the double post)

Thank you John and Carl - what an amazing assortment of craft - I love the
Decavitator, but think something more on the lines of the Shuttle bike is
what we are looking for.

The challenge is to build a craft to which a standard bike can be mounted
and demounted quickly to cross a river where there is no bridge.

22 Jun 2004 18:47:32
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: bike/boat combination

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:06:56 +0100, Robin Walker wrote:
>The challenge is to build a craft to which a standard bike can be mounted
>and demounted quickly to cross a river where there is no bridge.

Those too exist already. They are called "ferry".

Glad to be of help,
E. ;)