21 May 2004 08:22:18
Steve Black
Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

Whoa! What happened to Xeno at the trials? This article mentions
something about responsibilities and about something depressing on
television, but otherwise is extremely vague about what seems a very
significant event:

http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=13096

21 May 2004 18:11:05
Carl Douglas
Re: Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

Steve Black <stephenjblack@yahoo.com > writes
>Whoa! What happened to Xeno at the trials? This article mentions
>something about responsibilities and about something depressing on
>television, but otherwise is extremely vague about what seems a very
>significant event:
>
>http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=13096

Even the Gods can have downers.

Good performance by Adam Holland - who is well know on RSR.
Keep at it Adam!

Carl
--
Carl Douglas

21 May 2004 19:50:54
Jay

Steve Black wrote:
> Whoa! What happened to Xeno at the trials? This article mentions
> something about responsibilities and about something depressing on
> television, but otherwise is extremely vague about what seems a very
> significant event:
>
> http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=13096

Possibly the disgusting abuse of prisoners in Iraq?

The US must be quite unhappy seeing as they made a special dispensation
which gave him an early US citizenship...

Very odd indeed...

25 May 2004 13:47:29
rowDML
Re: Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

From
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1084572619573&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

"The news on TV is depressing," he said, "and you wonder. You put the bigger
picture in question. When you have three children and a wife and have to
leave them, and you see somebody's head getting cut off . . ."

Dave

"Jay" <just_j.REMOVE@icon.co.za.THIS > wrote in message
> Steve Black wrote:
> > Whoa! What happened to Xeno at the trials? This article mentions
> > something about responsibilities and about something depressing on
> > television, but otherwise is extremely vague about what seems a very
> > significant event:
> >
> > http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=13096
>
> Possibly the disgusting abuse of prisoners in Iraq?
>
> The US must be quite unhappy seeing as they made a special dispensation
> which gave him an early US citizenship...
>
> Very odd indeed...

25 May 2004 20:27:14
Neil Wallace

rowDML wrote:
> From

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1084572619573&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

> "The news on TV is depressing," he said, "and you wonder. You put the
> bigger picture in question. When you have three children and a wife
> and have to leave them, and you see somebody's head getting cut off .
> . ."

I guess he wasn't talking about "the last Samurai" either. I told you Carl
was wise not to download video. I follow a dental discussion group in the
states that discussed the Nick Berg murder also. My impression is that
terrible event has traumatised some in the US more than any footage since
the twin towers.

I'm not sure what I feel about Xeno's decision though. I do know a lot of
(mainly American) athletes must be feeling pretty wary right now. There are
parrallels with the postponement of the 2001 Ryder Cup due to the USA team
not wishing to travel. I understand they had death threats.. perhaps so did
Xeno???? Either way, he perhaps felt he was at risk, or no longer wished to
represent his new country. I certainly can understand him wanting to be with
his young family.

On the other hand Xeno has done this before.. didn't he withdraw at last
minute from the Swiss qualifiers 3 years ago?
And what about the Munich games when Athletes were murdered. The games went
on. A different sense of perspective on that occasion....and history has
largely commended them for it....... though perhaps the fact that 30 years
have passed and the Munich games remain synonymous with middle eastern
terrorism perhaps makes that debatable?

Anyway. My rambling over.
From one chubby sculler to another - all the best to you Xeno and your
family.

One more thing - go Adam Holland!

25 May 2004 21:26:23
Henning Lippke
Re: Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

> I guess he wasn't talking about "the last Samurai" either. I told
> you Carl was wise not to download video.

True. I also haven't downloaded it, but I friend did see the particular
one and regrets he has done so.

26 May 2004 11:28:11
Ewoud Dronkert

On 25 May 2004 21:26:23 GMT, Henning Lippke wrote:
>> I guess he wasn't talking about "the last Samurai" either. I told
>> you Carl was wise not to download video.
>
>True. I also haven't downloaded it, but I friend did see the particular
>one and regrets he has done so.

What'd he expect from a movie with Tom Cruise?

26 May 2004 11:28:57
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

On 25 May 2004 21:26:23 GMT, Henning Lippke wrote:
>friend did see the particular one and regrets he has done so.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/karikat/20040520/12/3875290992.jpg

01 Jun 2004 10:59:47
Steve Black
Re: Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

A followup article from the NYTimes in this past Sunday's sport
section:

An Olympian Responds to His Fears And Emotions
By GEORGE VECSEY

Published: May 30, 2004

As he rowed out to the start line of the Olympic trials, Xeno Muller
already possessed one Olympic gold medal and one Olympic silver medal.

He and his wife have three children. The family was not going to
Athens in August if Muller qualified for the Summer Games.

To his immense surprise, right out there on a placid lake, a third
Olympic medal suddenly lost its luster.

So he rowed back to shore.

"The mental brainstorm just zapped in," Muller recalls of his moment
of truth. "It got to the point where I couldn't row."

Since his epiphany on May 21, Muller has verbalized the concerns you
could even say the fears that are probably kicking around in other
people's innards.

Some pro basketball players are coming up with reasons for not going
to Athens. They have to rest their knees or catch up on their fan mail
or spend quality time with their families.

The vast majority of United States athletes are accepting their
federations' assurances that security will be just fine. But Xeno
Muller, 31 years old, recently naturalized as an American after rowing
for Switzerland, just could not go forward.

"We are all worried about terrorism," he said the other night in a
telephone conversation, in English lightly flecked with a German
accent.

He remembered winning his gold medal on that middle Saturday in 1996,
a few hours after the bomb exploded in Centennial Park, killing one
woman. The rowers were living out near the course, reasonably removed
from the fears of downtown Atlanta.

But since Muller won a silver for Switzerland in 2000, the entire
world has become much more dangerous.

Muller was born in Switzerland but also lived in Spain, Germany and
France before enrolling at Brown University. He and his wife, Erin,
from California, have three children: Christopher, 2, Xeno, 5, and
Georgia, 6, named after the state in which he won his gold medal.

"As a matter of fact, my own name is Greek," Muller said. "It means
`the welcome stranger.' Muller is such a generic name. My father's
name is Peter, but there are hundreds of Peter Mullers. So they named
me Xeno." (The name is pronounced ZEE-no, in English.)

Proud Greeks might even have rooted for him upon noticing that his
name has Greek origins. His absence stems from the decision that his
wife and children would stay home in California.

"I did not want my children crying or talking in English," he said.

It is a reasonable concern. The United States Olympic Committee is not
officially warning its athletes (or family members) not to take their
stars and their stripes and their exuberant ways into downtown Athens.
But some people just might be concerned about some nihilist singling
out an American in a narrow street of the Plaka.

"I read the newspapers," Muller said. "The news depresses the heck out
of me."

He has watched the grisly tapes of the beheading of Nicholas Berg, the
young American in Iraq. All this was ticking in his mind as he rowed
out for the qualifier on Lake Mercer in West Windsor, N.J.

"I warmed up, did everything normal," Muller said. "As athletes, you
learn to shut out everything. Three minutes before the race, I started
questioning everything. It's very vicious. I was pushing it down as
far as I could, mentally, but then I was done. I realized I couldn't
go to Greece."

He said he looked around at the younger competitors.

"They are the ones who win gold medals," he said. "For an athlete, you
have to have nitro in your tank. You don't want to have clouded
thoughts. I know myself. Let somebody else race this race."

"These guys have very little responsibility," he added. "Being a
father, I know I could give up my life for my children."

But he could not see himself pursuing the glory of a gold medal in
Athens, alone.

"Maybe if you become a millionaire, sure," he said. He thought about
the so-called contractors "working for $1,000 a day to drive a truck
around Iraq," and wondered if that was worth it. Besides, rowers do
not cash in as do sprinters or gymnasts or contractors.

Muller quickly added that his decision had nothing to do with American
politics.

"I am a freshly baked American citizen," he added. "I am living here
since I am 19. Do I think as a U.S. citizen? Yes, I do. I think we are
way ahead, just by debating the points of view."

"You can say some things are great and some things are not so great,"
he continued. "Do you think Europeans would have lifted a finger in
the air the way the U.S. did? What about World War I and World War II?
If you are a doer, you will make mistakes. But what happens if
everybody sits on their hands?"

Ultimately, he said, his decision was based on his premonition of
being all alone in Greece, his family thousands of miles away.

"I'm a guy who cries in front of the TV," he said, meaning he reacts
emotionally, viscerally.

Out there at the start line, he said, he turned to the younger
American rowers and said: "Guys, I'm not going to be racing. Do it
without me."

Then he rowed back to shore.

"Somebody could have carried me away in a gurney," he said, meaning he
was enervated, his competitive edge gone, probably forever.

Rowing friends tried to talk him into racing in the double sculls
trials later this spring. He wavered for a day, but now he says: "No,
no, no. No way."

He plans to stay home in Costa Mesa, where he runs the Iron Oarsman
rowing school.

"You grow older," he said. "You mature. You listen to more harmonious
music in the car. You grow out of it."

He will follow the Olympics from afar. The younger athletes will have
fun and perhaps win medals. His three children are his medals now.

stephenjblack@yahoo.com (Steve Black) wrote in message news:<cada74ed.0405210722.2c3cb961@posting.google.com >...
> Whoa! What happened to Xeno at the trials? This article mentions
> something about responsibilities and about something depressing on
> television, but otherwise is extremely vague about what seems a very
> significant event:
>
> http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=13096

09 Jun 2004 10:22:50
PaultheCox
Re: Warning RANT- Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

I get tired of sportsperson's making pronouncements such as this
article from the NY Times:

> An Olympian Responds to His Fears And Emotions
> By GEORGE VECSEY
>
> Published: May 30, 2004
>
> As he rowed out to the start line of the Olympic trials, Xeno Muller
> already possessed one Olympic gold medal and one Olympic silver medal.

Fair play to him and his rowing achievements, but keep the public
pronouncements to something of which you have knowledg Mr Muller.

> Muller quickly added that his decision had nothing to do with American
> politics.

> "I am a freshly baked American citizen," he added. "I am living here
> since I am 19. Do I think as a U.S. citizen? Yes, I do. I think we are
> way ahead, just by debating the points of view."

> "You can say some things are great and some things are not so great,"
> he continued. "Do you think Europeans would have lifted a finger in
> the air the way the U.S. did? What about World War I and World War II?

Presumambly Mr Muller's major in International Relations at Brown
University did not include study of 20th Century history ?

To paraphrase Mr Muller, what about World War I and World War II ?

Britain declared war against Germany on 4 August, 1914.
The United States declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917.

Britain and France declared war on Germany on September 3rd, 1939.
The United States declared war on both Germany and Italy on December
11th, 1941.

It seems the Europeans lifted a finger far sooner than his adopted
country. In fact, it wasn't until August 1, 1941 that President
Roosevelt stopped US oil supplies to the Axis powers.

> If you are a doer, you will make mistakes.
Not much of a 'doer', more of a 'wait and see which way the wind is
blowing', and make some petro-cash along the way.

Plus ca change....

Rant over.
PC

09 Jun 2004 22:50:33
Carl Douglas
Re: Warning RANT- Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

PaultheCox <paulcoxisgod@hotmail.com > writes
>I get tired of sportsperson's making pronouncements such as this
>article from the NY Times:
>

>> An Olympian Responds to His Fears And Emotions
>> By GEORGE VECSEY
>>
>> Published: May 30, 2004
>>
>> As he rowed out to the start line of the Olympic trials, Xeno Muller
>> already possessed one Olympic gold medal and one Olympic silver medal.
>

>Fair play to him and his rowing achievements, but keep the public
>pronouncements to something of which you have knowledg Mr Muller.
>
>> Muller quickly added that his decision had nothing to do with American
>> politics.
>
>> "I am a freshly baked American citizen," he added. "I am living here
>> since I am 19. Do I think as a U.S. citizen? Yes, I do. I think we are
>> way ahead, just by debating the points of view."
>
>> "You can say some things are great and some things are not so great,"
>> he continued. "Do you think Europeans would have lifted a finger in
>> the air the way the U.S. did? What about World War I and World War II?
>

>Presumambly Mr Muller's major in International Relations at Brown
>University did not include study of 20th Century history ?
>
>To paraphrase Mr Muller, what about World War I and World War II ?
>
>Britain declared war against Germany on 4 August, 1914.
>The United States declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917.
>
>Britain and France declared war on Germany on September 3rd, 1939.
>The United States declared war on both Germany and Italy on December
>11th, 1941.
>
>It seems the Europeans lifted a finger far sooner than his adopted
>country. In fact, it wasn't until August 1, 1941 that President
>Roosevelt stopped US oil supplies to the Axis powers.
>
>> If you are a doer, you will make mistakes.
>Not much of a 'doer', more of a 'wait and see which way the wind is
>blowing', and make some petro-cash along the way.
>
>Plus ca change....

That short-sighted, pig-headed & bigoted re-hash of international
history was a disgrace.

The US was a major contributor towards the final outcome of WW-I. It
then took huge casualties in (& massively underwrote) the allied
campaigns of WW-II, including the regaining of continental Europe from
fascism (part of which we were recalling on Sunday), its massive
sacrifices in the Pacific. And then it played the leading role in the
post-WW-II reconstruction of both winners and losers.

Please, no more.

Carl
--
Carl Douglas

09 Jun 2004 20:09:18
PaulS

Carl Douglas <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk > wrote in message news:<r7l4e2JpY4xAFw13@rowing-cdrs.demon.co.uk>...
> PaultheCox <paulcoxisgod@hotmail.com> writes
> >I get tired of sportsperson's making pronouncements such as this
> >article from the NY Times:
> >

> >> An Olympian Responds to His Fears And Emotions
> >> By GEORGE VECSEY
> >>
> >> Published: May 30, 2004
> >>
> >> As he rowed out to the start line of the Olympic trials, Xeno Muller
> >> already possessed one Olympic gold medal and one Olympic silver medal.
> >

> >Fair play to him and his rowing achievements, but keep the public
> >pronouncements to something of which you have knowledg Mr Muller.
> >
> >> Muller quickly added that his decision had nothing to do with American
> >> politics.
>
> >> "I am a freshly baked American citizen," he added. "I am living here
> >> since I am 19. Do I think as a U.S. citizen? Yes, I do. I think we are
> >> way ahead, just by debating the points of view."
>
> >> "You can say some things are great and some things are not so great,"
> >> he continued. "Do you think Europeans would have lifted a finger in
> >> the air the way the U.S. did? What about World War I and World War II?
> >

> >Presumambly Mr Muller's major in International Relations at Brown
> >University did not include study of 20th Century history ?
> >
> >To paraphrase Mr Muller, what about World War I and World War II ?
> >
> >Britain declared war against Germany on 4 August, 1914.
> >The United States declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917.
> >
> >Britain and France declared war on Germany on September 3rd, 1939.
> >The United States declared war on both Germany and Italy on December
> >11th, 1941.
> >
> >It seems the Europeans lifted a finger far sooner than his adopted
> >country. In fact, it wasn't until August 1, 1941 that President
> >Roosevelt stopped US oil supplies to the Axis powers.
> >
> >> If you are a doer, you will make mistakes.
> >Not much of a 'doer', more of a 'wait and see which way the wind is
> >blowing', and make some petro-cash along the way.
> >
> >Plus ca change....
> >

> That short-sighted, pig-headed & bigoted re-hash of international
> history was a disgrace.
>
> The US was a major contributor towards the final outcome of WW-I. It
> then took huge casualties in (& massively underwrote) the allied
> campaigns of WW-II, including the regaining of continental Europe from
> fascism (part of which we were recalling on Sunday), its massive
> sacrifices in the Pacific. And then it played the leading role in the
> post-WW-II reconstruction of both winners and losers.
>
> Please, no more.
>
> Carl

There we go, in agreement once again. I was considering changing my
name after reading the original screed.

- Paul Smith

10 Jun 2004 03:21:21
John
Re: Warning RANT- Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

On 9 Jun 2004 10:22:50 -0700, paulcoxisgod@hotmail.com (PaultheCox)
wrote:

>I get tired of sportsperson's making pronouncements such as this
>article from the NY Times:
>
>snip
>
>Rant over.
>PC

Mr. Muller is well known by readers of this newsgroup to be a
dedicated family man. His athletic accomplishments are above reproach.
His decisions regarding his family should likewise be beyond reproach.
Not knowing if you have a wife or children of your own, I reserve
judgement on your complaint. It may be that you value them (or they,
you) in a different way than does the Muller family.

JR

10 Jun 2004 20:12:26
Blaine
Re: Warning RANT- Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

<SNIP irrelevant childish rant >

Cool your jets there Paul the Cox.
I remember the good old days of RSR when we had schoolboy trash talk
about who was going to win the Stotesbury Cup (sp?).

Now we have schoolboy reasoning and trashy arguments on geo-political
events.

Is this a sign of maturity on RSR ?

Obviously I don't mean you Paul. By the way, I like the email address
(PaulCoxisGod...), says a lot about you. Popular with your crew ?

Blaine

PS.
You have managed a rare feat, to make such verbose individuals as Paul
S and Carl D agree on something, and in such economical language. ;-)

> Carl Douglas <Carl@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote in message
> > That short-sighted, pig-headed & bigoted re-hash of international
> > history was a disgrace.

> paul_v_smith@hotmail.com (PaulS) wrote in message
> There we go, in agreement once again. I was considering changing my
> name after reading the original screed.

11 Jun 2004 12:40:45
Rob Collings
Re: Warning RANT- Xeno retires five minutes from trials start?!

> By the way, I like the email address
> (PaulCoxisGod...), says a lot about you. Popular with your crew ?

Clearly a troll. Everyone knows that the coach is God - the cox is
simply one of the instruments by which he/she implements their will!

:-)
Rob.

16 Jun 2004 05:07:05
felipe

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net > wrote in message news:<2hhl0aFdb1mqU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> One more thing - go Adam Holland!

Speaking of which, I noticed on this:

http://www.usrowing.org/itemdisplay.asp?id=1293

Under Men's 2x
Ken Jurkowski/Adam Holland

Under Men's 2-
Adam Holland/Ken Jurkowski

Wow! wouldn't that be something if they won both??

Also notable under Men's 2x:
Conal Groom/TBA

Best of luck all!