20 Dec 2006 01:24:51
Paul
Winter circuits

Someone has decided to change our winter circuits this year and instead
of our usual increase in total time and time per exercise before
Christmas, followed by a slackening off after (to account for Christmas
excess) and build up again, we are going to start at the same point and
just increase time per exercise. We are currently at 50 seconds and
will reach 90. Now I am reasonably fit for my age but by the time I get
to 50 seconds I am really struggling with some exercises, press-ups,
squat thrusts etc. and feel the extra time will not be well spent, ie
people will just stop and rest. What sort of routine are other people
doing for winter circuits (we can only do a max of 45 minutes as we
hire a school gym).

20 Dec 2006 04:36:10
Re: Winter circuits

On Dec 20, 9:24 am, "Paul" <pgosl...@hotmail.co.uk > wrote:
> Someone has decided to change our winter circuits this year and instead
> of our usual increase in total time and time per exercise before
> Christmas, followed by a slackening off after (to account for Christmas
> excess) and build up again, we are going to start at the same point and
> just increase time per exercise. We are currently at 50 seconds and
> will reach 90. Now I am reasonably fit for my age but by the time I get
> to 50 seconds I am really struggling with some exercises, press-ups,
> squat thrusts etc. and feel the extra time will not be well spent, ie
> people will just stop and rest. What sort of routine are other people
> doing for winter circuits (we can only do a max of 45 minutes as we
> hire a school gym).

I organised the following circuit for our juniors last week:

10 minute ergo: 4 mins at 16, 3 mins at 18, 2 mins at 20, 1 min at 22
10 minute circuit: 5 x 90 seconds lower body (power squats, lunges,
jumping jacks, squat thrusts, static sits against wall)
10 minute ergo: 4 mins at 18, 3 mins at 20, 2 mins at 22, 1 min at 24
10 minute circuit: 5 x 90 seconds of various core stability exercises,
focussing on lower abs and glutes
10 minute ergo: 4 mins at 20, 3 mins at 22, 2 mins at 24, 1 min at 26
10 minute circuit: 5 x 90 seconds of upper body exercises with
dumbbells
10 minute ergo: 4 mins at 22, 3 mins at 24, 2 mins at 26, 1 min at 28
10 minute circuit: 5 x 90 seconds of core stability, focussing on
upper abs and shoulders
10 minutes stretching

Believe it or not, several of them said they enjoyed it!

Caroline

20 Dec 2006 05:41:10
Re: Winter circuits

Paul wrote:
> Someone has decided to change our winter circuits this year and instead
> of our usual increase in total time and time per exercise before
> Christmas, followed by a slackening off after (to account for Christmas
> excess) and build up again, we are going to start at the same point and
> just increase time per exercise. We are currently at 50 seconds and
> will reach 90. Now I am reasonably fit for my age but by the time I get
> to 50 seconds I am really struggling with some exercises, press-ups,
> squat thrusts etc. and feel the extra time will not be well spent, ie
> people will just stop and rest. What sort of routine are other people
> doing for winter circuits (we can only do a max of 45 minutes as we
> hire a school gym).

I would recommend that you meet 45 minutes before the circuit and run
for 35 minutes, set the circuit up and keep going. The circuit is
absolutely the best thing to be doing for club crews. The solution to
your problem is to lower your speed of repetition over the 90 seconds
which is fine for squat thrusts etc. don't feel you are cheating, you
still get the training effect. What you are doing if you are "blowing
up" is training at an unsustainable lactate level. I would however
agree that 90 seconds is unnecessary. 60 is fine but with rapid change,
10 seconds.

Circuits are there for two reasons.

1.Strength building by creating resistance, either.
2.Endurance increase by training at a sustained lactate level for a
period of time.

20 Dec 2006 11:45:52
Charles Carroll
Re: Winter circuits

Hi Caroline,

I am curious. If weather permitted, would you have your juniors do the
circuit or go rowing? I guess another way of asking this is would you get as
much benefit spending the same amount of time rowing?

I ask because I have a friend who for his age and weight is becoming
enviably fast as a sculler. But this friend absolutely refuses to touch an
erg or weights. Instead he just puts in the miles.

Cordially,

Charles

20 Dec 2006 14:54:39
KC
Re: Winter circuits

Charles Carroll wrote:
> Hi Caroline,
>
> I am curious. If weather permitted, would you have your juniors do the
> circuit or go rowing? I guess another way of asking this is would you get as
> much benefit spending the same amount of time rowing?
>
> I ask because I have a friend who for his age and weight is becoming
> enviably fast as a sculler. But this friend absolutely refuses to touch an
> erg or weights. Instead he just puts in the miles.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

There is that old adage, "miles make champions". Aruguments can be made
either way, but obviously for some, water time is key. For others, who
maybe learn technique faster, but lack strength/power, weights and ergs
would be more important.

Not to be ambiguous, but it depends on the individual, really.

-Kieran

20 Dec 2006 12:07:41
Charles Carroll
Re: Winter circuits

> Not to be ambiguous, but it depends on the individual, really.

Kieran,

That makes sense.

Charles

20 Dec 2006 12:38:49
Re: Winter circuits

Charles Carroll wrote:
> Hi Caroline,
>
> I am curious. If weather permitted, would you have your juniors do the
> circuit or go rowing? I guess another way of asking this is would you get as
> much benefit spending the same amount of time rowing?
>
> I ask because I have a friend who for his age and weight is becoming
> enviably fast as a sculler. But this friend absolutely refuses to touch an
> erg or weights. Instead he just puts in the miles.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

Best of both worlds....Row with a bungee round the boat and row with
rate variance.

21 Dec 2006 00:30:17
John Mulholland
Re: Winter circuits

"Charles Carroll" <charles_carroll@comcast.net > wrote in message
> Hi Caroline,
>
> I am curious. If weather permitted, would you have your juniors do the
> circuit or go rowing? I guess another way of asking this is would you get
> as
> much benefit spending the same amount of time rowing?
>
> I ask because I have a friend who for his age and weight is becoming
> enviably fast as a sculler. But this friend absolutely refuses to touch an
> erg or weights. Instead he just puts in the miles.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

I would not put juniors out in the dark. Weekends are for water (weather
permitting), weekday dark evenings are for circuits.

--
John Mulholland

21 Dec 2006 11:55:41
Robin Collings
Re: Winter circuits

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:30:17 +0000, John Mulholland wrote:

> I would not put juniors out in the dark. Weekends are for water (weather
> permitting), weekday dark evenings are for circuits.

That depends entirely on your stretch of water. We do it regularly and
have done for many more years than I have been around. On our stretch of
water, it works very well and there are rarely any problems. Indeed, most
of the problems I've ever had in the dark have involved senior crews. If
we limited our juniors to weekends only during winter, they would get 1
outing a week.

Rob.

--
Robin Collings
Remove the obvious to reply by email

29 Dec 2006 01:20:11
Re: Winter circuits

On Dec 20, 1:41 pm, anton2...@aol.com wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > Someone has decided to change our winter circuits this year and instead
> > of our usual increase in total time and time per exercise before
> > Christmas, followed by a slackening off after (to account for Christmas
> > excess) and build up again, we are going to start at the same point and
> > just increase time per exercise. We are currently at 50 seconds and
> > will reach 90. Now I am reasonably fit for my age but by the time I get
> > to 50 seconds I am really struggling with some exercises, press-ups,
> > squat thrusts etc. and feel the extra time will not be well spent, ie
> > people will just stop and rest. What sort of routine are other people
> > doing for winter circuits (we can only do a max of 45 minutes as we
> > hire a school gym).I would recommend that you meet 45 minutes before the circuit and run
> for 35 minutes, set the circuit up and keep going. The circuit is
> absolutely the best thing to be doing for club crews. The solution to
> your problem is to lower your speed of repetition over the 90 seconds
> which is fine for squat thrusts etc. don't feel you are cheating, you
> still get the training effect. What you are doing if you are "blowing
> up" is training at an unsustainable lactate level. I would however
> agree that 90 seconds is unnecessary. 60 is fine but with rapid change,
> 10 seconds.
>
> Circuits are there for two reasons.
>
> 1.Strength building by creating resistance, either.
> 2.Endurance increase by training at a sustained lactate level for a
> period of time.

Hi everybody, hope you had a great Christmas.

No, we don't put juniors or adult beginners out in the dark for safety
reasons, as it's impossible to supervise them adequately. Besides, the
river has been unrowable for several weeks due to flooding -
fortunately it's back to more or less normal now.

Circuit training is great for improving aerobic fitness and strength,
particularly for less experienced rowers whose technique (or absence
thereof) does not allow them to get a good workout in the boat. I also
think it's important to spend some time developing the muscles which
are used less, or not at all, while rowing. And thirdly, circuits can,
and should be, a fun, social activity. Ours are open to non-members,
so people can bring their family and friends, some of whom even end up
learning to row!

I'll be back in a couple of weeks, hopefully with a report of how Dubai
Rowing Club is shaping up!

Happy New Year
Caroline