21 Dec 2006 07:56:16
Marc
Water rower worth considering?

Hello All,

First let me say I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Anyhow, I have been looking at used rowers online and was curious about
the Water rower. I have been looking at C2 model C's and D's for
comparison. I have read some owner (maybe biased) reviews about the
water rower and it looks quite nice. It is supposed to be much
quieter, have a better feel at the catch then the C2 and it also has
performance feedback through a monitor as well as virtual racing. I am
a member of a gym that has 2 C2 model D's, but hardly anyone ever uses
them, so when they are damaged (twisted chains and other odd things)
they are not high on the list to repair. I tend to be more motivated
if I could jump on the rower for a quick hour rather then driving to
the gym.

Anybody here have any experience they can share in relation to the
water rower over the C2? Also, my goal s mainly fitness and form
improvement in my free time after work. I will most likely never race,
but tend to row as a way to get out and enjoy a quiet day on the lake.
I am sure I could add my own version of a rowers shaddow to the Water
rower if needed.

Best regards,

Marc

21 Dec 2006 17:17:01
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: Water rower worth considering?

On 21 Dec 2006 07:56:16 -0800, Marc wrote:
> Anybody here have any experience they can share in relation to the
> water rower over the C2?

Yes.
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=waterrower+group%3Arec.sport.rowing

I personally don't like the feel of the finish when using the
Waterrower; too heavy (am I remembering well? It has been a few
years). The C2's flywheel seems more realistic in this perspective,
although the heavier finish may (occasionally) be a good training
tool.

--
E. Dronkert

21 Dec 2006 09:56:32
Marc
Re: Water rower worth considering?

Hey Ewoud,

Thanks for the links. It seems as though there are too many downsides
to the water rower, so I will try and find a used Model C or D C2 if
possible.

Marc

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2006 07:56:16 -0800, Marc wrote:
> > Anybody here have any experience they can share in relation to the
> > water rower over the C2?
>
> Yes.
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=waterrower+group%3Arec.sport.rowing
>
> I personally don't like the feel of the finish when using the
> Waterrower; too heavy (am I remembering well? It has been a few
> years). The C2's flywheel seems more realistic in this perspective,
> although the heavier finish may (occasionally) be a good training
> tool.
>
> --
> E. Dronkert

21 Dec 2006 10:52:28
martin+x@y.z
Re: Water rower worth considering?

> I am
> a member of a gym that has 2 C2 model D's, but hardly anyone ever uses
> them, so when they are damaged (twisted chains and other odd things)
> they are not high on the list to repair.

Ha! We go to the same gym. I told the manager about the twisted chain
about six months ago. I haven't been there in a few months. I guess
it's still broken. I'm going again tomorrow. I'll register a more
forcefull complaint this time.

I have a C at home. I've owned it for a long time before starting to
really use it a few months ago. I got Xeno's DVD's as a guide and I'd
highly recommend them.

I started with one of his routines every day at 6AM --with just enough
time to get a good workout before having to drive the kids to school.
I've now cut back to two or three days a week and try to go to the lake
both Saturday and Sunday.

The idea now is to go the the aforementioned gym and do some weight
training two or three days a week. I don't want to get bored of using
the erg every day, which is what has typically happened to me over the
years.

Incidentally, there's an advantage to these darn 92 pound Horizon
boats. When I started I could pickup about 65 pounds overhead (the
weight of my Ocean Kayak). Now I can pickup the Horizon's 92 lbs
--with a little bit of a struggle. So, my boats are great for weight
training and rowing! Time to go the gym and step it up a bit.

If you want to try out the C before buying one come over one of these
days and take a test drive.

-Martin

23 Dec 2006 10:23:50
elliottbayart@yahoo.com
Re: Water rower worth considering?

Marc--
If you have a dealer locally try out the Waterrower and see what you
think in person. I've been rowing on a C2 at my club for the last year
and finally decided to get an erg for home use. I tried out the
Waterrower and went with it because it felt good, took up less room and
is less noisy. I don't notice a difference in the workout quality.
The monitor is somewhat less intuitive and flexible on the WR.
I reccommend buying from a dealer so if you have a problem they can
deal with the Waterrower folks for you.
--Elliott
PS There's also a WR group on yahoo: