25 Jun 2004 09:48:42
Neil Wallace
Video of me sculling.

If you have a good connection, feel free to download this video of me
sculling. It is a 12.7MB download.

www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/personal/neilsculls.mpg

The first bit is the last few stroke of a race at Strathclyde park in a
double with my Neighbour, Ken Sinclair, in the bow.

The rest is of me in my Carl Douglas single on the Caledonian Canal in
Inverness, in its usual mirror flat state.
3 clips.
1. Trying to square blade up to the start of our head course.
2. Starting off.
3. 3500m into the course.

The head course is 4800m long, and I was doing this as a timed piece.

The Inverness part of the video is taken by Ken, on a bike, on the towpath.
I think he did really well to keep the camera as steady as he did.
The video (at least when slowed down), shows a glaring error in my bladework
which I am really going to have to work on. I'll not spoil your fun by
pointing it out.... and I suspect you'll all point out many others anyway.

Cheers

Neil.




25 Jun 2004 10:47:57
Douglas MacFarlane
Re: Video of me sculling.

In article <2k2778F16q774U1@uni-berlin.de >, rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net
says...
>
>
>If you have a good connection, feel free to download this video of me
>sculling. It is a 12.7MB download.
>
>www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/personal/neilsculls.mpg
>
>The first bit is the last few stroke of a race at Strathclyde park in a
>double with my Neighbour, Ken Sinclair, in the bow.
>
>The rest is of me in my Carl Douglas single on the Caledonian Canal in
>Inverness, in its usual mirror flat state.
>3 clips.
>1. Trying to square blade up to the start of our head course.
>2. Starting off.
>3. 3500m into the course.
>
>The head course is 4800m long, and I was doing this as a timed piece.
>
>The Inverness part of the video is taken by Ken, on a bike, on the towpath.
>I think he did really well to keep the camera as steady as he did.
>The video (at least when slowed down), shows a glaring error in my bladework
>which I am really going to have to work on. I'll not spoil your fun by
>pointing it out.... and I suspect you'll all point out many others anyway.
>
>Cheers
>
>Neil.


Neil,

Did you cut the bit where Ken cycles into the water while videoing
you then :-)

The water looks really nice up there. I must try and make the pilgrimage
North one day.

Cheers,

Douglas



25 Jun 2004 09:26:30
PaulS
Re: Video of me sculling.

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net > wrote in message news:<2k2778F16q774U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> If you have a good connection, feel free to download this video of me
> sculling. It is a 12.7MB download.

1) Amazing camera work while riding a bike
2) Nice Boat! And it appears to fit you well.
3) What was your time for the 4.8k? (My guess = 23:45.0)
4) Nothing beats an accent when trying to explain things! [;o)
5) I'm torn, I'd like to help, but think that you would either ignore
or flat out refuse the advice, neither of which would 'help'.

- Paul Smith, CFD (IA)

>
> www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/personal/neilsculls.mpg
>
> The first bit is the last few stroke of a race at Strathclyde park in a
> double with my Neighbour, Ken Sinclair, in the bow.
>
> The rest is of me in my Carl Douglas single on the Caledonian Canal in
> Inverness, in its usual mirror flat state.
> 3 clips.
> 1. Trying to square blade up to the start of our head course.
> 2. Starting off.
> 3. 3500m into the course.
>
> The head course is 4800m long, and I was doing this as a timed piece.
>
> The Inverness part of the video is taken by Ken, on a bike, on the towpath.
> I think he did really well to keep the camera as steady as he did.
> The video (at least when slowed down), shows a glaring error in my bladework
> which I am really going to have to work on. I'll not spoil your fun by
> pointing it out.... and I suspect you'll all point out many others anyway.
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil.


25 Jun 2004 11:44:31
rowdoc
Re: Video of me sculling.

Douglas MacFarlane <dkm@dcs.gla.ac.uk > wrote in message news:<cbgscd$28e$1@singer.cent.gla.ac.uk>...
> In article <2k2778F16q774U1@uni-berlin.de>, rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net
> says...
> >
> >
> >If you have a good connection, feel free to download this video of me
> >sculling. It is a 12.7MB download.
> >
> >www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/personal/neilsculls.mpg
> >
> >The first bit is the last few stroke of a race at Strathclyde park in a
> >double with my Neighbour, Ken Sinclair, in the bow.
> >
> >The rest is of me in my Carl Douglas single on the Caledonian Canal in
> >Inverness, in its usual mirror flat state.
> >3 clips.
> >1. Trying to square blade up to the start of our head course.
> >2. Starting off.
> >3. 3500m into the course.
> >
> >The head course is 4800m long, and I was doing this as a timed piece.
> >
> >The Inverness part of the video is taken by Ken, on a bike, on the towpath.
> >I think he did really well to keep the camera as steady as he did.
> >The video (at least when slowed down), shows a glaring error in my bladework
> >which I am really going to have to work on. I'll not spoil your fun by
> >pointing it out.... and I suspect you'll all point out many others anyway.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Neil.
>
>
> Neil,
>
> Did you cut the bit where Ken cycles into the water while videoing
> you then :-)
>
> The water looks really nice up there. I must try and make the pilgrimage
> North one day.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Douglas

What a brave man! After the 100+ post ergo technique critique (and not
one criticising his taste in ROCK music) this one would run and run,
if Henley wasn't in less than a week!

The water is often that nice, and if you lie flat in the boat you can
cruise under the road bridge at the bottom of the course and carry on
for another few hundred metres. Oh - check how high the canal is
first...

Technique? Perhaps not the best quality video to judge, but..

Well, I'm no great sculler, but are your feet too far forward? At the
finish your hands seem quite close together, and your elbows are quite
close into your body. Perhaps a notch back with the feet, and try to
keep your wrists flat, following through with the arc of the blade..?

The catch - yes - I think you realise your catches look slack. You're
giving yourself an awful lot to do at the catch, and on water that
idyllic there's no excuse for not squaring a little earlier, or indeed
doing the whole course square blades. You miss a good chunk of stroke
at the catch , and that'll slow things down. Your left blade catches a
little sharper than your right - or is that just my imagination?

Have you tried frontstops rowing? Just sitting at the catch and
practicing dropping the blades in under their own weight. Then add a
little bit of leg in, just enough to catch, keeping the blades square.
An old friend of mine used to drift the length of the river doing
this, like some kind of rowing action stammering. But it worked for
him!

PS. Get it videoed, and then we can critique you when you fall in!
(joke)


25 Jun 2004 22:26:10
Neil Wallace
Re: Video of me sculling.

PaulS wrote:
>
> 1) Amazing camera work while riding a bike
> 2) Nice Boat! And it appears to fit you well.
> 3) What was your time for the 4.8k? (My guess = 23:45.0)
> 4) Nothing beats an accent when trying to explain things! [;o)
> 5) I'm torn, I'd like to help, but think that you would either ignore
> or flat out refuse the advice, neither of which would 'help'.
>
> - Paul Smith, CFD (IA)

My time was 20:24, and my PB for the course is 20:02.
and go for it, I never ignore what you say, I wish I could!








25 Jun 2004 21:09:35
Tony
Re: Video of me sculling.

Hi Neil,

I'll wade in. Firstly, that's a really nice boat. None better :) First thing
that struck me was... that silly hat, get rid of it.

But seriously. I note lack of smothness. Appears body is jerking. Heading
lifting at the catch. Hands and body are out of sync at the finish.

Flip catches. This is a sign of lack of confidence at the catch. Start to
roll the grips in your hands as your hands cross your feet. Drill - straight
arm rowing. Also keep your arms swinging out till you drop the blades in.
Then pull the handles around in an arc, don't just pull them straight back -
that is force an arc motion.

Your hands are dropping at the finish which is terminating your stroke
prematurely. Keep the hands coming towards you in a straight line then
rotate the grips in your hands without a downward motion - no such thing as
"hands down and away". Your hands should finish just below your breasts
(yes, you do have breasts! - and can get breast cancer so check for lumps) .
Drill, back stop rowing.

Think of your butt as being stationary. Pull your feet towards you (not
going up the slide) on the recovery. Then push you feet away from you, (not
jumping off the footboard). Do this whilst rating 18-20 rpm.

What is your height. May be if your seeking advice on technique, we can also
advise on boat setup - span, gate height, pitch etc. What type of sculls o
you use - VPBs(eg smothies)?

Tony
Ottawa RC


"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer*NOSPAM*@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:2k2778F16q774U1@uni-berlin.de...
> If you have a good connection, feel free to download this video of me
> sculling. It is a 12.7MB download.
>
> www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/personal/neilsculls.mpg
>
> The first bit is the last few stroke of a race at Strathclyde park in a
> double with my Neighbour, Ken Sinclair, in the bow.
>
> The rest is of me in my Carl Douglas single on the Caledonian Canal in
> Inverness, in its usual mirror flat state.
> 3 clips.
> 1. Trying to square blade up to the start of our head course.
> 2. Starting off.
> 3. 3500m into the course.
>
> The head course is 4800m long, and I was doing this as a timed piece.
>
> The Inverness part of the video is taken by Ken, on a bike, on the
towpath.
> I think he did really well to keep the camera as steady as he did.
> The video (at least when slowed down), shows a glaring error in my
bladework
> which I am really going to have to work on. I'll not spoil your fun by
> pointing it out.... and I suspect you'll all point out many others anyway.
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil.
>
>




25 Jun 2004 22:02:35
PaulS
Re: Video of me sculling.

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*NOPSAM*virgin.net > wrote in message news:<oE1Dc.220$B2.199@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> PaulS wrote:
> >
> > 1) Amazing camera work while riding a bike
> > 2) Nice Boat! And it appears to fit you well.
> > 3) What was your time for the 4.8k? (My guess = 23:45.0)
> > 4) Nothing beats an accent when trying to explain things! [;o)
> > 5) I'm torn, I'd like to help, but think that you would either ignore
> > or flat out refuse the advice, neither of which would 'help'.
> >
> > - Paul Smith, CFD (IA)
>
> My time was 20:24, and my PB for the course is 20:02.
> and go for it, I never ignore what you say, I wish I could!

Does that pace 2:07.5 correspond closely with your RP Pace for a 5k?
You are matching your body movements quite closely between the two.
Is there any notable current in the canal?

How about the overall length of your boat, either you are quite tall
or it just appeared a bit shorter than I'm used to seeing, could have
been a perspective issue.

Certainly you see that you are taking the catch by opening your back,
which causes it to be quite sluggish, this causes a delay in
connecting with teh water, and though it probably feels hard at the
catch, that is being caused by the sharp slowdown of the hull as you
drive the blades down and sternward into the water. Your blade (let's
just talk about the starboard one, since it's first most of the time)
is taking 4 frames to get buried, and then a one or two more to see a
hump of water building, at 25 frames per second, and 4m/s, you are
missing the opportunity to advance your boat for about .8m or almost
10% of your per stroke distance (~25% of your drive distance).

At the resolution available, it's tough to see, but it appears that
you are reaching out equally with both hands and then also finishing
with them both at your body, while leading slightly with your right on
the drive. This means that your boat is taking a small "S" turn durng
the drive, ending up relatively straight tracking, but creating drag
in the process.

- Paul Smith


26 Jun 2004 09:26:06
Neil Wallace
Re: Video of me sculling.

Tony wrote:
(snip)

thanks Tony, all good advice.
Yes, that's a 92kg CD-X, I thought you'd like it!

To answer your question, and probably give you more information than is
realy prudent.....
I am 185cm tall, and down to 84kgs now (I've lost 5kg and a nasty
haemorrhoid problem since switching to soya milk in my Lattes 2 months ago)

The blades I am using (on this instance) are C2 smoothies. I have a rough
idea of the rig, but I'll get it measured before giving details here.

Neil.





26 Jun 2004 09:57:50
Neil Wallace
Re: Video of me sculling.

PaulS wrote:
>> My time was 20:24, and my PB for the course is 20:02.
>> and go for it, I never ignore what you say, I wish I could!
>
> Does that pace 2:07.5 correspond closely with your RP Pace for a 5k?
> You are matching your body movements quite closely between the two.
> Is there any notable current in the canal?


Hi Paul,
thanks for analysing me frame by frame, much appreciated.

That starboard blade in first is a real shocker isn't it. I wonder if that
is due to a hand/shoulder discrepancy (I normally row strokeside - don't
know if that is relevant), or whether I am simply dragging the boat along
lopsided? I think it may very well be the latter. That would explain why I
feel so uncomforatble when it gets choppy - I can't use my confidence
boosting safety net.
And you are right, no real pressure exerted on the starboard blade until the
port blade is driven in considerably later.

An interesting point of discussion is what changes do I make when Ken calls
for an earlier blade placement. It seems I actually increase the discrepancy
between the 2 sides!

The point about RP is interesting.
I would forget about my canal PB, I can't remember if there was a slight
tailwind that day.
But this latest time should compare well, no wind and no stream on the
canal. Speedcoach shows the same distance in both directions.
My splits were..
2:08, 2:09, 2:08, 2:10, 2:08, 2:08, 2:10, 2:06, 2:08, 2:05 (last one only
300m of course)
4800m in 20:24 is (3.92m/s)
My PB for 5K on the RP is 20:53 (3.99m/s). A very close correlation. (98% in
terms of speed).
Which is a discussion in itself as I understand Cas's calculations have been
pretty well tested.

If I make the technical changes suggested will I only improve by 2%?

If so, it is back to the weights room.

Cheers

Neil.