31 Dec 2006 09:14:17
donal.casey@gmail.com
Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.

Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
warming taking all the snow away!!

I will also post on the skiing website.

Donal

31 Dec 2006 10:28:29
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
> in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
> enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
> Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
> than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
> warming taking all the snow away!!
>
> I will also post on the skiing website.
>
> Donal

There is a 2.5km lake (dammed) just below Tignes/Val d'Isere in France.
Never been there in the summer so not sure if any serious rowers
actually use it, but a quick Google search suggests it is used for some
watersports:

http://www.alpaka.com/s_resort.htm#Around%20the%20lakes

It's a great ski resort, and if you can't row on that lake then you
could always head down the mountain to Aiguebelette (which is on the
route up to the resort) where you definitely can row.

Cheers,
Nick

31 Dec 2006 12:28:37
donal.casey@gmail.com
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

cheers nick - will check it out.

I skied there years ago but never was looking for the lake!! Have rowed
Aigubellette(at 6 am in the morning with another rec.sport.rowing
person - a quite fantastic outing and great memory).

Morzine also has a 1000 metre lake (upon which there is a summer
regatta) incidentally and I have some friends that live there but Im
worried about the height of the resort.

Donal
ncmorrell@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> > Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
> > in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
> > enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.
> >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
> > Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
> > than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
> > warming taking all the snow away!!
> >
> > I will also post on the skiing website.
> >
> > Donal
>
> There is a 2.5km lake (dammed) just below Tignes/Val d'Isere in France.
> Never been there in the summer so not sure if any serious rowers
> actually use it, but a quick Google search suggests it is used for some
> watersports:
>
> http://www.alpaka.com/s_resort.htm#Around%20the%20lakes
>
> It's a great ski resort, and if you can't row on that lake then you
> could always head down the mountain to Aiguebelette (which is on the
> route up to the resort) where you definitely can row.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

31 Dec 2006 18:09:35
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

As you are driving up the mountain to Val d'Isere, you have to turn off
and drive over the dam to get to Tignes, or else keep driving round the
left side of the lake and head on up the valley to get to Val d'Isere.
Google Earth shows the lake is about 2.5k long so definitely worth a
try. It's at about 1,800m altitude though, so you may not break too
many records ;-)

The Val d'Isere/Tignes network has glacier skiing, topping out at
3,450m, so should be safe from global warming for a while at least....

Quite agree about Aiguebelette - awesome place to train. We had a
training camp there a couple of years ago at Easter and it was
glorious!

Cheers,
Nick

donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> cheers nick - will check it out.
>
> I skied there years ago but never was looking for the lake!! Have rowed
> Aigubellette(at 6 am in the morning with another rec.sport.rowing
> person - a quite fantastic outing and great memory).
>
> Morzine also has a 1000 metre lake (upon which there is a summer
> regatta) incidentally and I have some friends that live there but Im
> worried about the height of the resort.
>
> Donal
> ncmorrell@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
> > > in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
> > > enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
> > > Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
> > > than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
> > > warming taking all the snow away!!
> > >
> > > I will also post on the skiing website.
> > >
> > > Donal
> >
> > There is a 2.5km lake (dammed) just below Tignes/Val d'Isere in France.
> > Never been there in the summer so not sure if any serious rowers
> > actually use it, but a quick Google search suggests it is used for some
> > watersports:
> >
> > http://www.alpaka.com/s_resort.htm#Around%20the%20lakes
> >
> > It's a great ski resort, and if you can't row on that lake then you
> > could always head down the mountain to Aiguebelette (which is on the
> > route up to the resort) where you definitely can row.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nick

31 Dec 2006 18:23:04
bookie

donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
> in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
> enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
> Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
> than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
> warming taking all the snow away!!
>
> I will also post on the skiing website.
>
> Donal

val thorens or anywhere in the trois vallees, highest resort in europe,
if not the world, glacier skiing in val thorens in summer, glorious
resort as is really 3 or 4 towns connected by runs and ski lifts
(courchevel, meribel, somewhere else, can't remember right now). I went
there over 10 years ago though so not sure what it is like now, but I
remember it was bloody good in terms or number of runs etc.
no idea about the rowing side of things, when i went it was with a
bunch of non-rowers from college and so rowing was the last thing we
were out there to do, skiing and drinking being top of the priority
list obviously.

one problem was blizzards, we lost 2 days to bad weather, not sure if
this was because of the height of the resort (we were actually in val
thorens which is the highest inthe trois vallees) or because of the
time of year (we went out at new year because it was cheap, typical
students eh?)

01 Jan 2007 07:39:43

donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> Dreaming ... Im looking at the possibility of getting a small apartment
> in a ski resort with a view to using for skiing in the winter but close
> enough to be able to row on a lake in the summer/autumn.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as places to look at in France
> Italy of Switzerland or Austria. Convenience for skiing more important
> than the rowing and needs to by up high as paranoid about global
> warming taking all the snow away!!
>
> I will also post on the skiing website.
>
> Donal

How wealthy are you?

St Moritz...

They even have a regatta there...Dutch do altitude training there.

01 Jan 2007 08:19:21
martin123@carr12331.freeserve.

donal.casey@gmail.com wrote:
> cheers nick - will check it out.
>

> Morzine also has a 1000 metre lake (upon which there is a summer
> regatta) incidentally and I have some friends that live there but Im
> worried about the height of the resort.

Donal

I have friends with property in Morzine and whilst its not as snow sure
as it used to be it has excellent links with Avioraz (Cable
car/road/chair lifts) which is suitably high which forms part of the
'Milky Way'

(no not a sweet but a substantial connected group of runs)

01 Jan 2007 12:48:27
Blair Clow
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

Donal

Can thoroughly recommend Wengen/Murren ski area - the most beautiful
resort overlooked by North face of the Eiger, with the Piz Gloria
restaurant of James Bond fame. Have stayed in Lauterbrunen in the
bottom of the valley which is also stunning. The Swiss trains run like
clockwork(!) up into Wengen. The town at the end of the valley,
Interlachen(sp?) is, as its name suggests sandwiched between two big
lakes and would be very surprised if there is no rowing club there, and
the trains run from there to the resort, so both Interlachen and
Lauterbrunen could be worth investigating.

Blair

01 Jan 2007 21:33:50
Anne Rogers
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

Sounds like almost anywhere in the Alps you are going to be with reachable
distance of somewhere to row. When you are putting a priority on convenience
for the snow, you are unlikely to have a lake of any size on the doorstep,
the resorts that are by lakes tend to be low ones where you can't usually
ski to the door. Personally I'd approach if from a different angle, I expect
you have a preference as to which country you live in, a preferred language
and so on. Then there are other local issues, such as in Switzerland the
property laws make it prohibitively expensive for a non Swiss to purchase
anything. Also, how frequently would you be travelling there, some of the
French resorts have horrendous airport transfers, but on the other hand, if
you want to be able to drive from the UK, Austria is a long way to go! Draw
up a list of resorts that meet those criteria, then investigate the rowing.
Property availability will also be a factor, obviously, the less there is,
the more expensive it will be!

Anne

02 Jan 2007 08:06:13
donal.casey@gmail.com
Re: Skiing resorts/rowing clubs - Europe

> How wealthy are you?
>
> St Moritz...
>
> They even have a regatta there...Dutch do altitude training there.

er///unwealthy!!!!!