18 Feb 2006 17:48:15
Koos
Safety Measures for Junior Rowers in Singles 1x

I would like your opinions for the following. In winter temperature of
our rowing water drops to frosty degrees. I coach a junior team and it
is not always possible to take out a coxed four or a double. So
sometimes I coach them in a skif 1x. From our club they are allowed to
scull in a single during the winter because they are really experienced
but it is obligatory that they wear a self inflating life/rescue jacket
for which is supplied for by the club. We also have the instruction
that they never go out alone but always with two or more. We also have
the instruction that they may only do so with a coach along the banks.
We always coach them from a bike with a megaphone. The first 2500
meters are with high banks and arks and you will not be able to get out
easily. They have done a course capsizing and getting in during a
summer training camp as we see this as very important for their
personal safety. Also we have gold foil with us during training
sessions in case someone gets into hypothermia trouble.

On our rowing water are also rowing many junior rowers form other clubs
training under the same circumstances but without being supplied with a
life jacket. What I want to know is what else measures are practically
possible to improve safety on the water in a single during winter?

I would appreciate your reactions.

19 Feb 2006 03:21:17
Jonny
Re: Safety Measures for Junior Rowers in Singles 1x

Koos wrote:
> What I want to know is what else measures are practically
> possible to improve safety on the water in a single during winter?
>
> I would appreciate your reactions.

We don't have the weather concerns (here in AUS it is a problem when it
is too hot!) and it sounds like our river bank is more easily accessed,
but here is what we do for our juniors.

Coaches on bikes (usual) now take throw ropes with them (to assist,
haul to bank in case of flipping) and are expected to carry a mobile
phone (to phone emergency services). We only row between certain
landmarks to keep in sight of other rowers.

Some of the kids are still in wherry style boats, so a capsise drill is
not really workable since the boats carry so much water. Because
hypothermia is not an issue (most of the time) it is preferable to swim
boat (or pull in with throw rope) to the bank, empty it and get back
in. Kids in racing boats get the chance to do a capsise drill at one of
the training camps (although not necessarily before being allowed out
in the fine boat).

20 Feb 2006 03:28:50
sue t
Re: Safety Measures for Junior Rowers in Singles 1x

It's good to practise a capsize drill, but until you've capsized into near
freezing water you really don't know how you will react. If you hesitate
too long to get back into your shell or can't lift your weight out of the
cold water, it could be fatal. And it doesn't take long for the cold water
to start affecting your strength ... been there, done that.

Assuming one of the athletes does flip, and assuming they can't get back
into/onto their shell ... what resources do the coaches have available to
assist a rower that cannot self-rescue in the cold water?

23 Feb 2006 01:06:03
Eberhard Nabel

sue t schrieb:

> It's good to practise a capsize drill, but until you've capsized into near
> freezing water you really don't know how you will react. If you hesitate
> too long to get back into your shell or can't lift your weight out of the
> cold water, it could be fatal. And it doesn't take long for the cold water
> to start affecting your strength ... been there, done that.
>
> Assuming one of the athletes does flip, and assuming they can't get back
> into/onto their shell ... what resources do the coaches have available to
> assist a rower that cannot self-rescue in the cold water?

Just seen....
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4613241817&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

The seller says, that the swimmers are about 4" above the water during
normal operation.