16 Nov 2007 00:05:53
Carl
Out to Launch?

The Slug has done a real service - see latest section, on Darwin Awards:
http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/slug.htm

Well done, O Noble Mollusc!

Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

16 Nov 2007 01:10:12
mruscoe
Re: Out to Launch?

Carl wrote:
> The Slug has done a real service - see latest section, on Darwin Awards:
> http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/slug.htm
>
> Well done, O Noble Mollusc!
>
> Carl

I though the coaches that I've seen who always drive standing up with no
kill cord were bad enough.

One of the scariest incidents i've witnessed on the Tideway was a
someone falling out of a launch and having it circle back on him.
Fortunately he swam upriver and the launch was carried downriver by the
stream, but I've heard another coach tell of having to swim underwater
away from an out-of-control launch (not on the Tideway).

16 Nov 2007 02:31:52
Walter Martindale
Re: Out to Launch?

mruscoe wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>> The Slug has done a real service - see latest section, on Darwin Awards:
>> http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/slug.htm
>>
>> Well done, O Noble Mollusc!
>>
>> Carl
>
> I though the coaches that I've seen who always drive standing up with no
> kill cord were bad enough.
>
> One of the scariest incidents i've witnessed on the Tideway was a
> someone falling out of a launch and having it circle back on him.
> Fortunately he swam upriver and the launch was carried downriver by the
> stream, but I've heard another coach tell of having to swim underwater
> away from an out-of-control launch (not on the Tideway).
I've seen one, duly wearing the full Mustang survival suit, bobbing
about in the water as the coaching launch circled, and circled...
Another coach, in launch, intercepted the riderless boat and guided it
away...

morph
Re: Out to Launch?

Carl wrote:
> The Slug has done a real service - see latest section, on Darwin Awards:
> http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/slug.htm
>
> Well done, O Noble Mollusc!
>
> Carl

Just one thought - Although it doesn't look like he is wearing one I'd
agree, surely the kill cord isn't running to the engine, but to the
throttle which he is sat on, hence doesn't need to be 6 foot.
I also know in the past have pointed out where they couldn't see kill
cords on some people's arms. However, back in my power boating days
myself and a few people I knew used to attach kill cords to our legs or
lifejackets/harnesses rather than loop it round our wrists - meant less
accidental pulling it out when waving and also less likely to slide off
your wrist and not kill the engine.

16 Nov 2007 12:24:11
Carl
Re: Out to Launch?

morph wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
>> The Slug has done a real service - see latest section, on Darwin Awards:
>> http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/slug/slug.htm
>>
>> Well done, O Noble Mollusc!
>>
>> Carl
>

> Just one thought - Although it doesn't look like he is wearing one I'd
> agree, surely the kill cord isn't running to the engine, but to the
> throttle which he is sat on, hence doesn't need to be 6 foot.
> I also know in the past have pointed out where they couldn't see kill
> cords on some people's arms. However, back in my power boating days
> myself and a few people I knew used to attach kill cords to our legs or
> lifejackets/harnesses rather than loop it round our wrists - meant less
> accidental pulling it out when waving and also less likely to slide off
> your wrist and not kill the engine.

None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that manner,
especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.

On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office demanding that
the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by what right, would
they think they can or should censor this image?

In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity to
try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's intention to
brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious but lumpy
carpet. I told her that it would be immoral & illegal, especially
following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to suppress such
information.

BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation. Not
the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.

Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

16 Nov 2007 12:54:53
mruscoe
Re: Out to Launch?

Carl wrote:
> On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
> sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
> news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office demanding that
> the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by what right, would
> they think they can or should censor this image?
>
> In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity to
> try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's intention to
> brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious but lumpy
> carpet. I told her that it would be immoral & illegal, especially
> following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to suppress such
> information.
>
> BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
> courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation. Not
> the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
> especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.

Someone's probably feeling embarrassed that they're going to award "best
club" in the first PLA Annual Tideway Code Awards to the club pictured
in a couple of weeks time...

16 Nov 2007 13:52:54
Alistair Potts
Re: Out to Launch?

Am I the only one to notice that the launch is (somewhat prophetically)
named 'Seastrike'.

:)

16 Nov 2007 14:41:45
Carl
Re: Out to Launch?

Alistair Potts wrote:
> Am I the only one to notice that the launch is (somewhat prophetically)
> named 'Seastrike'.
>
> :)

Well spotted, AP. In reality, this photo has it all!

A forward-thinking organisation would, of course, seize on the
opportunity to use this photo, ID & all, as the basis of a safe
launch-driving poster.

So why do I think that won't happen?

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

17 Nov 2007 08:16:40
morph
Re: Out to Launch?

Carl wrote:

> None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that manner,
> especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.
>
> On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
> sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
> news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office demanding that
> the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by what right, would
> they think they can or should censor this image?
>
> In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity to
> try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's intention to
> brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious but lumpy
> carpet. I told her that it would be immoral & illegal, especially
> following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to suppress such
> information.
>
> BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
> courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation. Not
> the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
> especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.
>
> Carl

Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all he
needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If you look
carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale that
indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill cord - I
remember a while ago there was a fuss because people couldn't see a kill
cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was shot you wouldn't have
seen one on me either because of where I wear them.

As for the rumour about asking for it being removed, I'll wait and see
because I don't think that would be deemed reasonable. I've heard
rumours that the red arrows were banned from displaying at the 2012
olympics. Turned out not even those from the red arrows had a clue about
these rumours and it was all just gossip. I prefer known facts myself!

17 Nov 2007 14:16:11
Carl
Re: Out to Launch?

morph wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>

>> None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that
>> manner, especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.
>>
>> On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
>> sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
>> news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office demanding
>> that the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by what right,
>> would they think they can or should censor this image?
>>
>> In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity
>> to try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's
>> intention to brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious
>> but lumpy carpet. I told her that it would be immoral & illegal,
>> especially following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to
>> suppress such information.
>>
>> BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
>> courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation.
>> Not the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
>> especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.
>>
>> Carl
>

> Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all he
> needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If you look
> carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale that
> indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill cord - I
> remember a while ago there was a fuss because people couldn't see a kill
> cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was shot you wouldn't have
> seen one on me either because of where I wear them.

I'd say that the launch wash convincingly tells us he's moving. ;)

It is worth reading through accident reports, such as this one:
http://www.allianz-yachts.co.uk/info/kill_cordusage

Particularly relevant to the photo in question are these excerpts from
that report:
"1. Qualifications and experience do NOT guarantee a safe and
sensible approach to boat operations."
"3. No matter who or what you are, you MUST follow standard
agreed procedures and instructions. If you do not, you not
only place yourself at risk but also everybody else
involved."
"6. Above all else, the Killcord must be firmly and correctly
attached to the driver's harness. The whole point of this
is to STOP THE ENGINE in the event the driver falls out or
becomes thrown backwards. If you do not do this, there is
a strong possibility that the boat will circle and run you
down. High-speed propellers can do an awful lot of damage
to skin and bone!"

> As for the rumour about asking for it being removed, I'll wait and see
> because I don't think that would be deemed reasonable. I've heard
> rumours that the red arrows were banned from displaying at the 2012
> olympics. Turned out not even those from the red arrows had a clue about
> these rumours and it was all just gossip. I prefer known facts myself!

Oh boy! Clearly ignorant of what you term "the facts", you feel
entitled to cast your naive aspersions from behind a veil of smug anonymity.

In rowing's long history of hushing-up nasties the unreasonable has
always over-ridden the right & proper - as in the past example I gave
you. It should alarm you that someone wants to censor a photo bearing a
strong safety message. Had they succeeded, you'd never have known "the
facts". Had they quietly failed, again you'd never have known.
Exposing the hanky-panky helps keep the party clean.

In case you didn't know: I never involve myself with gossip, nor with
ill-founded rumours from insubstantial sources. And, unlike you, I
never write anonymously.

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

17 Nov 2007 06:38:54
TidewayUmpire
Re: Out to Launch?

On Nov 17, 8:16=EF=BF=BDam, morph <mo...@spam.com > wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
> > None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that manner,
> > especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.
>
> > On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
> > sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
> > news. =EF=BF=BDNow I hear a rumour that there are those in office demand=
ing that
> > the picture in question be removed. =EF=BF=BDNow why, & by what right, w=
ould
> > they think they can or should censor this image?
>
> > In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity to=

> > try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's intention to
> > brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious but lumpy
> > carpet. =EF=BF=BDI told her that it would be immoral & illegal, especial=
ly
> > following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to suppress such
> > information.
>
> > BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
> > courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation. =EF=
=BF=BDNot
> > the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
> > especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.
>
> > Carl
>
> Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all he
> needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If you look
> carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale that
> indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill cord - I
> remember a while ago there was a fuss because people couldn't see a kill
> cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was shot you wouldn't have
> seen one on me either because of where I wear them.
>
> As for the rumour about asking for it being removed, I'll wait and see
> because I don't think that would be deemed reasonable. I've heard
> rumours that the red arrows were banned from displaying at the 2012
> olympics. Turned out not even those from the red arrows had a clue about
> these rumours and it was all just gossip. I prefer known facts myself!- Hi=
de quoted text -

So, everyone so far agrees the guys a dummy although I'm certain he
will have reams of reasons why he was perfectly safe, in control,
etc., etc.,

The launch is from TSS, which is Tideway Scullers SCHOOL. and the guy
is coaching or teaching what looks to be a junior sculler.
Some lesson.

What would you do if it were your son or daughter being taught by such
a clown.?
What would the Club say if he'd gone in and the uncontrolled launch
had hit the sculler?
Whats the Clubs Water Safety Officer going to do?
Whats the Regional Water Safety Officer going to do?
Has anyone put a report in the incident log?
<Incident Reporting
To report general misdemeanours/ bad behaviour/ poor navigation: >
hits the spot on all three IMO

And this, presumably, happened in the week they lost possibly thier
greatest asset

17 Nov 2007 15:03:44
morph
Re: Out to Launch?

Carl wrote:
> morph wrote:
>> Carl wrote:
>>

>>> None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that
>>> manner, especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.
>>>
>>> On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
>>> sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related
>>> bad news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office
>>> demanding that the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by
>>> what right, would they think they can or should censor this image?
>>>
>>> In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity
>>> to try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's
>>> intention to brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's
>>> capacious but lumpy carpet. I told her that it would be immoral &
>>> illegal, especially following a preventable fatality, for me or for
>>> her to suppress such information.
>>>
>>> BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
>>> courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation.
>>> Not the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
>>> especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.
>>>
>>> Carl
>>

>> Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all he
>> needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If you
>> look carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale that
>> indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill cord -
>> I remember a while ago there was a fuss because people couldn't see a
>> kill cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was shot you
>> wouldn't have seen one on me either because of where I wear them.
>
> I'd say that the launch wash convincingly tells us he's moving. ;)
>
> It is worth reading through accident reports, such as this one:
> http://www.allianz-yachts.co.uk/info/kill_cordusage
>
> Particularly relevant to the photo in question are these excerpts from
> that report:
> "1. Qualifications and experience do NOT guarantee a safe and
> sensible approach to boat operations."
> "3. No matter who or what you are, you MUST follow standard
> agreed procedures and instructions. If you do not, you not
> only place yourself at risk but also everybody else
> involved."
> "6. Above all else, the Killcord must be firmly and correctly
> attached to the driver's harness. The whole point of this
> is to STOP THE ENGINE in the event the driver falls out or
> becomes thrown backwards. If you do not do this, there is
> a strong possibility that the boat will circle and run you
> down. High-speed propellers can do an awful lot of damage
> to skin and bone!"

So you'd agree that people wearing kill cords on their wrists is a bad
idea? I've seen far too many people have them just slip off their hand
rather than killing the engine which is what their supposed to do.

>> As for the rumour about asking for it being removed, I'll wait and see
>> because I don't think that would be deemed reasonable. I've heard
>> rumours that the red arrows were banned from displaying at the 2012
>> olympics. Turned out not even those from the red arrows had a clue
>> about these rumours and it was all just gossip. I prefer known facts
>> myself!
>
> Oh boy! Clearly ignorant of what you term "the facts", you feel
> entitled to cast your naive aspersions from behind a veil of smug
> anonymity.
>
> In rowing's long history of hushing-up nasties the unreasonable has
> always over-ridden the right & proper - as in the past example I gave
> you. It should alarm you that someone wants to censor a photo bearing a
> strong safety message. Had they succeeded, you'd never have known "the
> facts". Had they quietly failed, again you'd never have known. Exposing
> the hanky-panky helps keep the party clean.
>
> In case you didn't know: I never involve myself with gossip, nor with
> ill-founded rumours from insubstantial sources. And, unlike you, I
> never write anonymously.
>
> Cheers -
> Carl

Ii'm not casting aspersions - I'm merely saying that I tend to avoid
rumours and prefer cold hard facts. Exposing the hanky panky is fair
game, rumours in my opinion are somewhat less useful.

18 Nov 2007 17:45:53
Carl
Re: Out to Launch?

morph wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
>> morph wrote:

>>> Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all
>>> he needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If
>>> you look carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale
>>> that indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill
>>> cord - I remember a while ago there was a fuss because people
>>> couldn't see a kill cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was
>>> shot you wouldn't have seen one on me either because of where I wear
>>> them.
>>

>> I'd say that the launch wash convincingly tells us he's moving. ;)
>>
>> It is worth reading through accident reports, such as this one:
>> http://www.allianz-yachts.co.uk/info/kill_cordusage
>>
>> Particularly relevant to the photo in question are these excerpts from
>> that report:
>> "1. Qualifications and experience do NOT guarantee a safe and
>> sensible approach to boat operations."
>> "3. No matter who or what you are, you MUST follow standard
>> agreed procedures and instructions. If you do not, you not
>> only place yourself at risk but also everybody else
>> involved."
>> "6. Above all else, the Killcord must be firmly and correctly
>> attached to the driver's harness. The whole point of this
>> is to STOP THE ENGINE in the event the driver falls out or
>> becomes thrown backwards. If you do not do this, there is
>> a strong possibility that the boat will circle and run you
>> down. High-speed propellers can do an awful lot of damage
>> to skin and bone!"
>>
> So you'd agree that people wearing kill cords on their wrists is a bad
> idea? I've seen far too many people have them just slip off their hand
> rather than killing the engine which is what their supposed to do.

Attach the kill cord where it is most secure & least obstructive.
People sometimes have funny or half-baked ideas of what constitutes
attachment - like the interesting mix of largely useless heel restraints
I saw in a school's four the other day.

It is the duty of a sport's governing body to ensure that its rules for
safety are entirely clear, well reasoned (with that reasoning clearly
stated) & unambiguous. We don't see much of that in rowing.

>>> As for the rumour about asking for it being removed, I'll wait and
>>> see because I don't think that would be deemed reasonable. I've heard
>>> rumours that the red arrows were banned from displaying at the 2012
>>> olympics. Turned out not even those from the red arrows had a clue
>>> about these rumours and it was all just gossip. I prefer known facts
>>> myself!
>>

>> Oh boy! Clearly ignorant of what you term "the facts", you feel
>> entitled to cast your naive aspersions from behind a veil of smug
>> anonymity.
>>
>> In rowing's long history of hushing-up nasties the unreasonable has
>> always over-ridden the right & proper - as in the past example I gave
>> you. It should alarm you that someone wants to censor a photo bearing
>> a strong safety message. Had they succeeded, you'd never have known
>> "the facts". Had they quietly failed, again you'd never have known.
>> Exposing the hanky-panky helps keep the party clean.
>>
>> In case you didn't know: I never involve myself with gossip, nor with
>> ill-founded rumours from insubstantial sources. And, unlike you, I
>> never write anonymously.
>>
>> Cheers -
>> Carl
>>

> Ii'm not casting aspersions - I'm merely saying that I tend to avoid
> rumours and prefer cold hard facts. Exposing the hanky panky is fair
> game, rumours in my opinion are somewhat less useful.

That depends on my source & my track record. Both are excellent.

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

19 Nov 2007 15:20:22
c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk
Re: Out to Launch?

On 17 Nov, 08:16, morph <mo...@spam.com > wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
> > None of which excuses the inanity of "driving" a launch in that manner,
> > especially when anywhere near other boats as in that photo.
>
> > On so many previous occasions senior UK rowing administrators have
> > sought, often successfully, to suppress safety- & fatality-related bad
> > news. Now I hear a rumour that there are those in office demanding that
> > the picture in question be removed. Now why, & by what right, would
> > they think they can or should censor this image?
>
> > In 2001 a member of the ARA's Water Safety Committee had the temerity to
> > try to bollock me in public for disclosing her committee's intention to
> > brush the death of Leo Blockley under the ARA's capacious but lumpy
> > carpet. I told her that it would be immoral & illegal, especially
> > following a preventable fatality, for me or for her to suppress such
> > information.
>
> > BTW, I hear another rumour that the picture of the launch jockey came
> > courtesy of a renowned national water safety & rescue organisation. Not
> > the sort of outfit people in rowing should be trying to censor,
> > especially with the Review into rowing safety coming to a head.
>
> > Carl
>
> Agreed, it's a ridiculously stupid way of sitting on a launch - all he
> needs to do is slip to the right and he'll hit the throttle. If you look
> carefully you can see the stream of water from the telltale that
> indicates the engine is running. My point was just of the kill cord - I
> remember a while ago there was a fuss because people couldn't see a kill
> cord on a photo in R&R, but the way the photo was shot you wouldn't have
> seen one on me either because of where I wear them.

but you can see in the latest R&R magazine on pages 5, 17 and 18 coxes
not wearing buoyancy aids contrary to the water safety code.

22 Nov 2007 15:12:05
Carl
Re: Out to Launch?

TidewayUmpire wrote:
> [...]
> will have reams of reasons why he was perfectly safe, in control,
> etc., etc.,
>
> The launch is from TSS, which is Tideway Scullers SCHOOL. and the guy
> is coaching or teaching what looks to be a junior sculler.
> Some lesson.
>
> What would you do if it were your son or daughter being taught by such
> a clown.?
> What would the Club say if he'd gone in and the uncontrolled launch
> had hit the sculler?
> Whats the Clubs Water Safety Officer going to do?
> Whats the Regional Water Safety Officer going to do?
> Has anyone put a report in the incident log?
> <Incident Reporting
> To report general misdemeanours/ bad behaviour/ poor navigation:>
> hits the spot on all three IMO
>
> And this, presumably, happened in the week they lost possibly thier

That was truly a loss. RIP, Alec.

But see:
http://tinyurl.com/2vfxh4

There is not, in any meaningful sense, such a thing as "incident
reporting" in UK rowing. Nor even a smidgen of feedback.

Misconduct & accidents are always passed off as uncharacteristic
one-offs, pure aberrations, unpredictable, to be buried far out of
sight. After all, draw attention to such issues might harm the image of
the sport! Perish the thought that we take such things seriously.
Besides, a club might at the last moment forfeit GBP1000.

As in my 17 November post, other aquatic sports _do_ have meaningful &
effective reporting processes. So they can & do advise on problem
areas, issue warnings for the wise &, where appropriate, make regulatory
changes to enhance their sport & its safety. We ignore even those
reports & produce none of oour own. What we do best is the dirty
cover-up game. On safety management our level of serious thinking is
hinted at in the Slug's latest compilation: "Motivational Soudbites for
Aspiring Coaches"

Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK
Email: carl@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

24 Nov 2007 14:21:16
David Jillings
Re: Out to Launch?

TSS won 1000 for driving like this:
http://www.thames-rrc.org/news/display-article/article/pla-trrc-announce-rowing-code-winners/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=1&cHash=c9b0300373

so don't knock it!

David.

"Carl" <carl@carldouglas.co.uk > wrote in message
> [...]
> Perish the thought that we take such things seriously. Besides, a club
> might at the last moment forfeit GBP1000.
>
> As in my 17 November post, other aquatic sports _do_ have meaningful &
> effective reporting processes. So they can & do advise on problem areas,
> issue warnings for the wise &, where appropriate, make regulatory changes
> to enhance their sport & its safety. We ignore even those reports &
> produce none of oour own. What we do best is the dirty cover-up game. On
> safety management our level of serious thinking is hinted at in the Slug's
> latest compilation: "Motivational Soudbites for Aspiring Coaches"
>
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
> Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
> Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 8RP, UK

25 Nov 2007 12:13:23
liz
Re: Out to Launch?

I believe they'd been awarded the money long before this incident occured.

The Tideway / PLA awards are purely based on who has the least points
allocated because of safety reports received - if people don't report
incidents when they see them, they won't be taken into account against the
club(s) involved.

liz