30 Aug 2006 10:09:07
c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk
Missing lane 7?

Was there any discussion on the ludicrousness of FISA's rule 75 which
meant that both the USA and New Zealand had to row 4000m on Thursday
effectively scuppering any chances they had in the final. Fair enough
if you've only got 6 lanes, but on 8 lane courses it's just plain
stupid. It wsa hardly fair and equal to those two crews as they both
came third and third place means a place in the final.

There's nothing about this on the news of FISA congress page.

30 Aug 2006 10:15:40
Robert Treharne Jones
Re: Missing lane 7?

I think I'm right in saying that this rule was agreed during the 1970s,
when FISA courses were only six lanes so there wasn't the option of a
7-boat final. As you rightly point out it's the only fair way to
proceed now that we have 8-lane courses.

Robert

c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Was there any discussion on the ludicrousness of FISA's rule 75 which
> meant that both the USA and New Zealand had to row 4000m on Thursday
> effectively scuppering any chances they had in the final. Fair enough
> if you've only got 6 lanes, but on 8 lane courses it's just plain
> stupid. It wsa hardly fair and equal to those two crews as they both
> came third and third place means a place in the final.

31 Aug 2006 01:28:28
karon
Re: Missing lane 7?

Not only did the NZ crew lose the opportunity to race in the A final,
they also lost $25,000 apiece for not being in the final.....

c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Was there any discussion on the ludicrousness of FISA's rule 75 which
> meant that both the USA and New Zealand had to row 4000m on Thursday
> effectively scuppering any chances they had in the final. Fair enough
> if you've only got 6 lanes, but on 8 lane courses it's just plain
> stupid. It wsa hardly fair and equal to those two crews as they both
> came third and third place means a place in the final.
>
> There's nothing about this on the news of FISA congress page.

02 Sep 2006 07:17:33
Re: Missing lane 7?

I got a chuckle out of the announcing during the A final. I assume it
was a feed of the BBC coverage - watched it on the wcsn.com streaming
video in the US. One of the announcers was positioning the NZ-US
raceoff as an unfair advantage for the US 4-, since they had the
opportunity to race together one more time than the other 5 boats in
the final, and would be that much faster.

03 Sep 2006 12:49:57
c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk
Re: Missing lane 7?

spam.attracter@gmail.com wrote:
> I got a chuckle out of the announcing during the A final. I assume it
> was a feed of the BBC coverage - watched it on the wcsn.com streaming
> video in the US. One of the announcers was positioning the NZ-US
> raceoff as an unfair advantage for the US 4-, since they had the
> opportunity to race together one more time than the other 5 boats in
> the final, and would be that much faster.

Didn't here this but the one howler the BBC did make was in confusing
the US 4- with 8o saying the the US 8 had only just made the final
having to race off NZ.