20 Feb 2006 18:44:13
bk
Knee Pain

I row starboard, 3 seat in a 4+. I have recently developed pain in the
outside of my left knee. I can't figure out what I'm doing to cause this.
The pain seemed to start after training on the erg.

21 Feb 2006 05:09:09
Re: Knee Pain

My advice would be:

1. Get it checked out by a physio
2. Ask your coach (or the physio) to look at you while you're on the
erg to ensure that your posture and leg positions are correct.
3. Check the foot stretcher in the boat. If it's crooked, or the
shoes are not fitted correctly, that could cause problems.
4. Change sides and do some sculling too. I know far too many rowers
who have developed back and joint problems because they always row the
same side.

Hope this helps
Caroline

21 Feb 2006 22:26:03
Ollie
Re: Knee Pain

"bk" <thelifer@hotmail.com > wrote in message
>I row starboard, 3 seat in a 4+. I have recently developed pain in the
>outside of my left knee. I can't figure out what I'm doing to cause this.
>The pain seemed to start after training on the erg.

Chondromalacia Patellae is fairly common in rowers. Probably caused by wear
and tear where the knee cap runs in a groove on the cartilages on the end of
the bones. It can be aggravated by uneven muscle development of the
quadriceps pulling the knee cap to the outside of the knee. It is more
likely if the knee cap is small or if there is hyperextension of the knee
joint.
If this is the problem it would be advisable to avoid deep squats with
weights, over compressing the legs at the catch, and over extending the
knee. Use a backstop or something behind the knee to avoid this. Vary
training with cycling, pilates or alternative weight excercises to balance
muscle development.
But don't take my word for it, check with a doctor.

Ollie

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups