26 May 2006 00:52:32
midsussex
Infamy for RSR regular

This is a UKcentric entry
The times (on page 31in my edition) has an article on the possible
health benefits for men of small but regular amounts of alcohol. To
illustrate the article they have obviously trawlled their picture
archive for a positive picture of men drinking together. The picture
appears to be taken over the hedge into Remenham club and shows 4
blazered Kingston memebers enjoying a "beverage". One of them bears an
uncanny resemblance to an RSR regular.

Step forward Mr Biddulph



26 May 2006 10:12:25
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: Infamy for RSR regular

On 26 May 2006 00:52:32 -0700, midsussex wrote:
>health benefits for men of small but regular amounts of alcohol. To
>illustrate the article they have obviously trawlled their picture
>archive for a positive picture of men drinking together. The picture
>appears to be taken over the hedge into Remenham club and shows 4
>blazered Kingston memebers enjoying a "beverage". One of them bears an
>uncanny resemblance to an RSR regular.

I don't see how promoting a healthy lifestyle may lead to infamy!

--
E. Dronkert


26 May 2006 01:27:28
midsussex
Re: Infamy for RSR regular


Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
> I don't see how promoting a healthy lifestyle may lead to infamy!
>
> --
> E. Dronkert

You're absolutely correct, but if you dont read the article it could
just be a picture of some "larger louts"



26 May 2006 01:31:33
midsussex
Re: Infamy for RSR regular


midsussex wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> >
> > I don't see how promoting a healthy lifestyle may lead to infamy!
> >
> > --
> > E. Dronkert
>
> You're absolutely correct, but if you dont read the article it could
> just be a picture of some "larger louts"

should of written lager louts
although.......................
apart from the previously mentioned cox, as oarsmen thye could have
been larger louts as well



26 May 2006 02:07:53
Taniwha
Re: Infamy for RSR regular


midsussex wrote:
> This is a UKcentric entry
> The times (on page 31in my edition) has an article on the possible
> health benefits for men of small but regular amounts of alcohol. To
> illustrate the article they have obviously trawlled their picture
> archive for a positive picture of men drinking together. The picture
> appears to be taken over the hedge into Remenham club and shows 4
> blazered Kingston memebers enjoying a "beverage". One of them bears an
> uncanny resemblance to an RSR regular.
>
> Step forward Mr Biddulph

I know all poms are eccentric and I know the benefits of regular small
amounts of alcohol are beneficial to the patient if not the carers (or
careers) of the patient. Personally, I can testify to being a long and
fruitful test case. (The fruitful being more specifically grapeful(l).)
Grapefull is definitely better than maltese, except on hogmannay.
That's because the prescription costs $8 instead of $40.

Sho having just taken a bottle of medicine, I will return to the ward
and declare I have never felt better.

She ya tomorra,
Taniwh....zzzzzzz



26 May 2006 11:50:28
mpruscoe
Re: Infamy for RSR regular

midsussex wrote:
> This is a UKcentric entry
> The times (on page 31in my edition) has an article on the possible
> health benefits for men of small but regular amounts of alcohol. To
> illustrate the article they have obviously trawlled their picture
> archive for a positive picture of men drinking together. The picture
> appears to be taken over the hedge into Remenham club and shows 4
> blazered Kingston memebers enjoying a "beverage". One of them bears an
> uncanny resemblance to an RSR regular.

It's not beyond them to trawl through somebody else's picture archives
too - one of the broadsheets stole a picture from our club website last
year. They would have got away with it, except it was recognised by a
club member.


26 May 2006 04:59:16
James Elder
Re: Infamy for RSR regular

mpruscoe wrote:

> It's not beyond them to trawl through somebody else's picture archives
> too - one of the broadsheets stole a picture from our club website last
> year. They would have got away with it, except it was recognised by a
> club member.

In this case, I think I remember when this was originally published in
The Times during Henley last year:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B26A45B2D



26 May 2006 04:59:26
Re: Infamy for RSR regular


I'm impressed that larger louts in your neck of the woods dress in
jackest and ties!!



28 May 2006 22:46:57
David Biddulph
Re: Infamy for RSR regular

"midsussex" <mostyn.field@btconnect.com > wrote in message
news:1148629952.131472.197190@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> This is a UKcentric entry
> The times (on page 31in my edition) has an article on the possible
> health benefits for men of small but regular amounts of alcohol. To
> illustrate the article they have obviously trawlled their picture
> archive for a positive picture of men drinking together. The picture
> appears to be taken over the hedge into Remenham club and shows 4
> blazered Kingston memebers enjoying a "beverage". One of them bears an
> uncanny resemblance to an RSR regular.
>
> Step forward Mr Biddulph

Yes, it caused great amusement among many of my friends (umpires & coaches
alike) at the National Schools Regatta this weekend. I've arrived back home
this evening to a fistful of e-mails which must say something encouraging
about the readership of The Times. One of my co-conspirators pointed out
that the article is available on-line
(http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-2197910,00.html),and better
still it has the colour version of the photo, whereas the printed copy of
the paper only had the black and white version (as did the original
appearance of the photo, on the Friday of HRR last year).

I'll have to show the article to my doctor and see whether I can get the
daily medicine on prescription! We'll have to get Kingston Rowing Club to
emphasise the image of a heathly lifestyle (with exercise as an optional
extra).

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that we'll be continuing to look
after our health in the same spot at this year's HRR in a month's time.
Hopefully I'll meet a few RSR contributors during the week.
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at
http://www.biddulph.org.uk/




28 May 2006 22:54:18
David Biddulph
Re: Infamy for RSR regular

"midsussex" <mostyn.field@btconnect.com > wrote in message
news:1148632293.236783.16740@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> midsussex wrote:
>> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't see how promoting a healthy lifestyle may lead to infamy!

>> You're absolutely correct, but if you dont read the article it could
>> just be a picture of some "larger louts"

> should of written lager louts
> although.......................
> apart from the previously mentioned cox, as oarsmen thye could have
> been larger louts as well

Sadly the afore-mentioned cox is now substantially *larger* than his regular
coxing weight. I don't think I'm in danger of having to carry deadweight
these days (which was something I almost had to do when I was coxing a
Kingston eight whose stroke later went on to do a lot of rowing with
Mostyn).
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at
http://www.biddulph.org.uk/