20 Jul 2005 08:37:16
Google Maps again.. and then some

Sully wrote (some time ago):

> google is pretty cool, have you blown a day on Google Maps yet?

> I have, sadly. I went looking for bodies of water that had
> rowing shells on it from the satellite photos. Found the most
> shells on the Schuykill. What is incredible is to be able to
> click and drag along a watercourse interactively. awesome.
> Only US, Canada, and UK, sadly.

> Come on Euros, get in there!!

No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
http://earth.google.com

Unfortunately there aren't many hi-res 'brown areas' in Belgium, the
only one with rowing water in it is Li=E8ge, where the UNL boathouse is
51=BA03'41.07"N 5=BA34'42.39"E

Other Belgian rowing co-ords:
My club (RSN Brussels) 50=BA54'05.30"N 4=BA24'20.00"E
Hazewinkel 51=BA03'41.07N 4=BA24'20.30"E
Ghent 51=BA02'46.89"N 3=BA42'14.15"E

Sorry.. I seem to have acquired a new anorak..

Dave H

20 Jul 2005 17:04:30
Christopher Anton
Re: Google Maps again.. and then some

<david.henderson@aea.be > wrote in message

No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
http://earth.google.com

That's absolutely amazing.

Here's some UK co-ords

Birmingham RC 52.4763, -1.9368
Holme Pierrepoint finish tower 52.941, -1.093
Dorney finish tower 51.4878, -0.6538
Docklands finish 51.5077, 0.0412
Strathclyde finish tower 55.7868, -4.0227
Henley RR start 51.5573, -0.8882

20 Jul 2005 18:28:30
simonk

Try http://moon.google.com/and keep zooming in ...

--
simonk

20 Jul 2005 11:09:13
Mike Sullivan

Sully wrote (some time ago):

> google is pretty cool, have you blown a day on Google Maps yet?

> I have, sadly. I went looking for bodies of water that had
> rowing shells on it from the satellite photos. Found the most
> shells on the Schuykill. What is incredible is to be able to
> click and drag along a watercourse interactively. awesome.
> Only US, Canada, and UK, sadly.

> Come on Euros, get in there!!

No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
http://earth.google.com

That's great stuff. So what RSR needs is a contest to see which body of
water has the most rowing shells on it at the time of the satellite shot.
My entry is the Schuykill in Philly!

Mike

21 Jul 2005 09:01:05
chris harrison
Re: Google Maps again.. and then some

david.henderson@aea.be wrote:
> Sully wrote (some time ago):
>

>>google is pretty cool, have you blown a day on Google Maps yet?
>

>>I have, sadly. I went looking for bodies of water that had
>>rowing shells on it from the satellite photos. Found the most
>>shells on the Schuykill. What is incredible is to be able to
>>click and drag along a watercourse interactively. awesome.
>>Only US, Canada, and UK, sadly.
>

>>Come on Euros, get in there!!
>

> No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
> http://earth.google.com
>
> Unfortunately there aren't many hi-res 'brown areas' in Belgium, the
> only one with rowing water in it is Liège, where the UNL boathouse is
> 51º03'41.07"N 5º34'42.39"E
>
> Other Belgian rowing co-ords:
> My club (RSN Brussels) 50º54'05.30"N 4º24'20.00"E
> Hazewinkel 51º03'41.07N 4º24'20.30"E
> Ghent 51º02'46.89"N 3º42'14.15"E
>
> Sorry.. I seem to have acquired a new anorak..

There are a number of boats on display on the Putney Embankment - we
were trying to work out whose yellow boat it was being walked down to
the water's edge outside our 'house ;)

PS. Careful if you're at work - we've already been banned from using it
because of the bandwidth it chews up; more than a couple of people at
once and our connections were showing distinct degradation!

21 Jul 2005 12:13:21
Jim Dwyer
Re: Google Maps again.. and then some

I have 14 boats on the water at the Argonaut rowing club in Toronto ON.
43 38'07.62N 79 26'36.90 W
Jim

"chris harrison" <unsliced@gmail.com > wrote in message
> david.henderson@aea.be wrote:
>> Sully wrote (some time ago):
>>

>>>google is pretty cool, have you blown a day on Google Maps yet?
>>

>>>I have, sadly. I went looking for bodies of water that had
>>>rowing shells on it from the satellite photos. Found the most
>>>shells on the Schuykill. What is incredible is to be able to
>>>click and drag along a watercourse interactively. awesome.
>>>Only US, Canada, and UK, sadly.
>>

>>>Come on Euros, get in there!!
>>

>> No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
>> http://earth.google.com
>>
>> Unfortunately there aren't many hi-res 'brown areas' in Belgium, the
>> only one with rowing water in it is Liège, where the UNL boathouse is
>> 51º03'41.07"N 5º34'42.39"E
>>
>> Other Belgian rowing co-ords:
>> My club (RSN Brussels) 50º54'05.30"N 4º24'20.00"E
>> Hazewinkel 51º03'41.07N 4º24'20.30"E
>> Ghent 51º02'46.89"N 3º42'14.15"E
>>
>> Sorry.. I seem to have acquired a new anorak..
>>

> There are a number of boats on display on the Putney Embankment - we were
> trying to work out whose yellow boat it was being walked down to the
> water's edge outside our 'house ;)
>
> PS. Careful if you're at work - we've already been banned from using it
> because of the bandwidth it chews up; more than a couple of people at once
> and our connections were showing distinct degradation!

21 Jul 2005 09:47:28
Mike Sullivan
Re: Google Maps again.. and then some

It's hard to count, looks like at least 30 on the
Schuykill, mostly up near start and toward the Falls.
39 59'17" N 75 12'11.93" W
is the Columbia bridge (finish line of race course.)
If someone else gets close, I'll do a more exact count.

"Jim Dwyer" <jim.dwyer@sympatico.ca > wrote in message
>I have 14 boats on the water at the Argonaut rowing club in Toronto ON.
> 43 38'07.62N 79 26'36.90 W
> Jim
>
> "chris harrison" <unsliced@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> david.henderson@aea.be wrote:

>>> No sooner said than done.. Google Earth has arrived at
>>> http://earth.google.com
>>>
>>> Unfortunately there aren't many hi-res 'brown areas' in Belgium, the
>>> only one with rowing water in it is Liège, where the UNL boathouse is
>>> 51º03'41.07"N 5º34'42.39"E
>>>
>>> Other Belgian rowing co-ords:
>>> My club (RSN Brussels) 50º54'05.30"N 4º24'20.00"E
>>> Hazewinkel 51º03'41.07N 4º24'20.30"E
>>> Ghent 51º02'46.89"N 3º42'14.15"E
>>>
>>> Sorry.. I seem to have acquired a new anorak..
>>>

>> There are a number of boats on display on the Putney Embankment - we were
>> trying to work out whose yellow boat it was being walked down to the
>> water's edge outside our 'house ;)
>>
>> PS. Careful if you're at work - we've already been banned from using it
>> because of the bandwidth it chews up; more than a couple of people at
>> once and our connections were showing distinct degradation!

21 Jul 2005 19:16:42
Ewoud Dronkert

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:47:28 -0700, Mike Sullivan wrote:
> Schuykill

Schuylkill. I know, it's Dutch.

Geen dank,
E.

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Mike Sullivan

"Ewoud Dronkert" <firstname@lastname.net.invalid > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:47:28 -0700, Mike Sullivan wrote:
>> Schuykill
>
> Schuylkill. I know, it's Dutch.
>
> Geen dank,

I get it right most of the time.

Mike

22 Jul 2005 17:10:46
sue t
Re: Google Maps again ... measuring distance

Just noted under Google Earth that there is a feature to measure distance.
Under "Tools", "Measure". Then you enter points on the map with your mouse.

Pretty much confirmed the distances that I thought I knew, via my
StrokeCoach. Also learned the Shawnigan Lake Head Race is indeed only 6.4
km, not 7 km as indicated on the info distributed about it.

22 Jul 2005 17:30:52
sue t
Re: Google Maps again ... measuring distance

I also note the shots must be late last Fall 2004. There's an area behind
our house that was clearcut last winter. Google Earth shows it still as
forest.

And Kluane Lake in the Yukon has just a bit of ice on it ... in the dead of
winter it ices completely over. Thus, I'm thinking maybe October or
November 2004 for the pics.