26 May 2006 21:36:37
Alex Krupp
Getting back into shape

I am, or was, a lightweight rower who at one point could pull a 6:26 2k
and steady state at under 1:55 at a 160 HR. However, I haven't worked
out at all in the last year and a half. Right now I'm basically your
typical fat, lazy American. The only racing I've done is trying to get
to McDonald's in the morning before they stop serving egg McMuffins :-)

Ultimately I'd like to get back into racing shape.

I've tried doing some steady state in the last couple days and the best
I can hold now is about 2:25 at under 160 HR. Not good.

My goal is to erg 5 million meters at 155-160 HR between June 1st and
March 1st, in addition to whatever I do on the water and in the weight
room.

I am wondering if just doing 2 x 45 min pieces (with adequate measures
to protect my back) will be enough to get my base back, or whether
throwing in a few pieces would help to "jumpstart" my heart.

Also, I plan on blogging the whole experience and all my workouts
(except team stuff) just for fun at urbanasceticism.typepad.com.

Alex

27 May 2006 14:54:09
Re: Getting back into shape

Alex Krupp wrote:
> I am, or was, a lightweight rower who at one point could pull a 6:26 2k
> and steady state at under 1:55 at a 160 HR. However, I haven't worked
> out at all in the last year and a half. Right now I'm basically your
> typical fat, lazy American. The only racing I've done is trying to get
> to McDonald's in the morning before they stop serving egg McMuffins :-)
>
> Ultimately I'd like to get back into racing shape.
>
> I've tried doing some steady state in the last couple days and the best
> I can hold now is about 2:25 at under 160 HR. Not good.
>
> My goal is to erg 5 million meters at 155-160 HR between June 1st and
> March 1st, in addition to whatever I do on the water and in the weight
> room.
>
> I am wondering if just doing 2 x 45 min pieces (with adequate measures
> to protect my back) will be enough to get my base back, or whether
> throwing in a few pieces would help to "jumpstart" my heart.
>
> Also, I plan on blogging the whole experience and all my workouts
> (except team stuff) just for fun at urbanasceticism.typepad.com.
>
> Alex

I can't think of anything more boring than completing 5 million meteres
on and ergo which is an excellent reason why its not a wise thing to
do. Variety is the spice of life. Have you no access to a bike? or
pool? That wil do you base just as much good and prevent a herniated
disk as well as a brain cramp.

28 May 2006 13:30:41
Christopher Kerr
Re: Getting back into shape

anton2468@aol.com wrote:

> Alex Krupp wrote:
>> I am, or was, a lightweight rower who at one point could pull a 6:26 2k
>> and steady state at under 1:55 at a 160 HR. However, I haven't worked
>> out at all in the last year and a half. Right now I'm basically your
>> typical fat, lazy American. The only racing I've done is trying to get
>> to McDonald's in the morning before they stop serving egg McMuffins :-)
>>
>> Ultimately I'd like to get back into racing shape.
>>
>> I've tried doing some steady state in the last couple days and the best
>> I can hold now is about 2:25 at under 160 HR. Not good.
>>
>> My goal is to erg 5 million meters at 155-160 HR between June 1st and
>> March 1st, in addition to whatever I do on the water and in the weight
>> room.
>>
>> I am wondering if just doing 2 x 45 min pieces (with adequate measures
>> to protect my back) will be enough to get my base back, or whether
>> throwing in a few pieces would help to "jumpstart" my heart.
>>
>> Also, I plan on blogging the whole experience and all my workouts
>> (except team stuff) just for fun at urbanasceticism.typepad.com.
>>
>> Alex
>
> I can't think of anything more boring than completing 5 million meteres
> on and ergo which is an excellent reason why its not a wise thing to
> do. Variety is the spice of life. Have you no access to a bike? or
> pool? That wil do you base just as much good and prevent a herniated
> disk as well as a brain cramp.

Plus, of course, spending hours on the erg without any coaching feedback
will lead to you rowing like a muppet. Try sculling - it's more fun (even
in the rain) and much easier to feel where you are going wrong.

30 May 2006 23:42:02
Jeremy Fagan
Re: Getting back into shape

Alex Krupp wrote:
> I am, or was, a lightweight rower who at one point could pull a 6:26 2k
> and steady state at under 1:55 at a 160 HR. However, I haven't worked
> out at all in the last year and a half. Right now I'm basically your
> typical fat, lazy American. The only racing I've done is trying to get
> to McDonald's in the morning before they stop serving egg McMuffins :-)
>
> Ultimately I'd like to get back into racing shape.
>
> I've tried doing some steady state in the last couple days and the best
> I can hold now is about 2:25 at under 160 HR. Not good.
>
> My goal is to erg 5 million meters at 155-160 HR between June 1st and
> March 1st, in addition to whatever I do on the water and in the weight
> room.
>
> I am wondering if just doing 2 x 45 min pieces (with adequate measures
> to protect my back) will be enough to get my base back, or whether
> throwing in a few pieces would help to "jumpstart" my heart.
>
> Also, I plan on blogging the whole experience and all my workouts
> (except team stuff) just for fun at urbanasceticism.typepad.com.
>
> Alex

Stuff the heart rate, and just train hard and long...

Jeremy
(If it doesn't hurt, you're not trying)

30 May 2006 16:02:05
Mike Sullivan
Re: Getting back into shape

<anton2468@aol.com > wrote in message

> Alex Krupp wrote:
snip
> I can't think of anything more boring than completing 5 million meteres
> on and ergo which is an excellent reason why its not a wise thing to
> do. Variety is the spice of life. Have you no access to a bike? or
> pool? That wil do you base just as much good and prevent a herniated
> disk as well as a brain cramp.

I agree with Anton. If you are trying to get back in
shape, the biggest problem you have is that you haven't
developed a habit for exercise. The hardest problem
you'll be faced with is not the training itself, but changing
into workout clothes so you can.

The best method is to find an activity that's either really
fun to do inherently, or very convenient.

30 May 2006 18:52:16
Re: Getting back into shape

> I am, or was, a lightweight rower who at one point could pull a 6:26 2k
> and steady state at under 1:55 at a 160 HR. However, I haven't worked
> out at all in the last year and a half. Right now I'm basically your
> typical fat, lazy American. The only racing I've done is trying to get
> to McDonald's in the morning before they stop serving egg McMuffins :-)

This happens to me every few years. Forget the bike unless you live
near the bottom of a mountain or have no job. Forget the boat unless
you live near the boathouse or have no job. Beg borrow or buy an erg
and get on it as long as you can for 2 or 3 days on then 1 day off.
The splits and HR will take care of themselves in short order. The
only thing that you have to remember to substitute sprints for steady
state sometimes. I always put them off way too long and then when I do
they chop my times so much that I realize that I put them off way too
long.

> My goal is to erg 5 million meters at 155-160 HR between June 1st and
> March 1st, in addition to whatever I do on the water and in the weight
> room.

lessee -- 15k/day M-T-TH-F==60K/week == 4,800,000 in 80 weeks. You
want it in ~40 weeks, so that would be, er, 120k/week; 2x45min 5X/week
is close, if you always do steady state. So 3 days on 1 day off. I
find >16K/day or so to get disruptive, but if your mum can keep up with
your washing and your body doesn't get overuse injuries, then the only
problem, I guess, is explaining to the supermodels that it's not that
you don't find them attractive, it's just you're too tired.

> I am wondering if just doing 2 x 45 min pieces (with adequate measures
> to protect my back)

If you know or learn what protects your back from 2x45min/day on the
CII, please tell me.

dkl