23 Apr 2005 00:30:21
Ewoud Dronkert
For newsgroup downloaders, or those willing to learn

Hi,

April 10th was our annual 'Varsity' boat race, the 122nd edition this
year. Originally a challenge between Leyden en Delft in 1878, OxCam
style (or indeed H/Y or UW/Cal), it soon included other emerging
university boat clubs. The seven oldest then kept it closed for a long
time, but now it's open to all student clubs. Aside from the challenge
race for 'Oude Vieren' (old fours, or varsity fours) there is now a
complete regatta program, which almost makes it a regular 6-lane 2k
regatta except for a few things of which the most obvious: only for
students, no combination crews allowed, and final of the challenge on 7
lanes of 3 km. Because of that last bit, it is rowed on the (wide,
straight and long) Amsterdam-Rhinecanal, an extremely busy waterway
closed for a day.

The Varsity regatta is the origin of the old Dutch tradition of swimming
to the winning crew (without clothes but not naked, because still with
club tie of course). Another tradition inseparable from the Varsity
regatta is the fact that the winner of the 'Oude Vier' throws a big
party with free beer for all. Or sometimes not completely free, or
sometimes not for everybody... It all depends on how traditional the
winning club feels I guess.

Anyway, this year some tv station decided to do a little report on this
unique event (the only rowing regatta in Holland that still asks an
admission fee, and attracts thousands of visitors anyhow) and someone,
whos identity I can not reveal for legal reasons, threw the recording on
news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)
format). All in Dutch of course, but some good pictures of the
atmosphere.

To download, you need:
- Access to a news server that carries binary groups, more specifically
the aforementioned one. Ask your provider, or google for a commercial
service.
- A binary news client: news reader software designed for or at least
capable of downloading and combining the file parts. A tolerable free
one is GrabIt from www.shemes.com
- After downloading, WinRar to unpack the archive (like WinZip but
another format). See www.rarlabs.com (unrar utility is free).
- If some parts were damaged (not complete), a utility to repair them
using the supplied .par2 files. See www.quickpar.org.uk (free).
- A program that plays MPEG files, like Windows Mediaplayer.

Cheers,
E.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

24 Apr 2005 21:45:55
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: For newsgroup downloaders, or those willing to learn

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:30:21 +0200, I wrote:
> news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)

Did *anybody* download it..?

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

25 Apr 2005 11:37:14
Neil Wallace

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:30:21 +0200, I wrote:
>> news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)
>
> Did *anybody* download it..?

Hi E,

tried, but failed so far.
alt.binaries.multimedia.sports not available on my news servers
(news.individual.net doesn't appear to carry any binaries.... and
news.btconnect.com appears to carry only the mucky ones)

25 Apr 2005 16:23:17
Henry Law
Re: For newsgroup downloaders, or those willing to learn

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:45:55 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert
<firstname@lastname.net.invalid > wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:30:21 +0200, I wrote:
>> news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)
>
>Did *anybody* download it..?

I don't have the bandwidth, really. Might try overnight. Thanks for
posting the link, though.

25 Apr 2005 20:31:20
Justus J.

"Ewoud Dronkert" <firstname@lastname.net.invalid > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:30:21 +0200, I wrote:
> > news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)
>
> Did *anybody* download it..?

Working on it ...

25 Apr 2005 19:53:19
rowdoc
Re: For newsgroup downloaders, or those willing to learn

> and
> news.btconnect.com appears to carry only the mucky ones)

I haven't managed either but I'd like to thank Ewoud as I'm on BT as well -
I've now had my eyes opened to whole new vistas of "news", involving latex
rubber, bubble wrap and jam.

Between consenting adults.

At the same time.

I'll never sleep with the light off ever again.

26 Apr 2005 13:06:06
Jon Anderson

rowdoc wrote:
> I'll never sleep with the light off ever again.

So you can see which newsgroups you're downloading from? :)

Jon
--
Durge: jon@durge.org http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: accounts@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]

26 Apr 2005 14:58:10

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:37:14 +0100, Neil Wallace wrote:
> alt.binaries.multimedia.sports not available on my news servers

Alrighty, I made a smaller version that I could place on my homepage.
Please right-click and 'Save as...'! Do not play the file directly from
the server. It's a 83 MB file in WMV9 format (320x240, 520 kbps). See
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

27 Apr 2005 00:03:56
Justus J.

"Justus J." <Justus@SKIPTHIS.JanssenSoftware.com > wrote in message
> "Ewoud Dronkert" <firstname@lastname.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:30:21 +0200, I wrote:
> > > news:alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (23 minutes, 405 MB, MPEG (SVCD)
> >
> > Did *anybody* download it..?
> >

> Working on it ...

Got it.