28 Sep 2005 20:49:43
Scott Knox
Fluidesign ?

Hello Everyone,

I am considering ordering a Fluidesign light double and would be
interested in any and all feedback from owners or current users. I have
rowed both the single and double and enjoyed them both. The idea of a
single skin hull vs honeycomb or foam core that does not dent or
reportedly take on weight and water over time interests me. I would
love to hear some debate on that subject however. Since these shells
are relatively new on the maket, any feedback on durability so far
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott K

29 Sep 2005 07:58:22
Re: Fluidesign ?

Hi Scott. I have owned, rowed (and sailed FWIW) many different designs
of craft. Funny thing is, the boat I like best is actually one of the
cheapest, a Burgashell. No doubt at all the early ones were crap (I had
a snapper!), but my current boat is very light, stiff and runs well in
both calm and rough water. As extra info, I am just over 15stone and
the boat sits perfectly, i.e. good design weight. As you will probably
know, it is a single skin hull and it does take knocks very well.
Where there has been a sudden load applied over a larger area, the hull
has sufficient flexibility to absorb the impact without any sign of
damage. Burgsahell boats saw a significant improvement in
design/construction when Clive Burgass got involved in the business.
Last I heard, he was in Oz, but did leave the legacy of decent quality.
This current boat I have is a joy to row.

My other boats (Aylings Olympian/Janousek) always suffered through
knocks and bumps and the evidence was there for all time to see.

So I think you should have no concerns over the principle of a single
skin hull, providing it is not made from the cheapest materials, which
will result in increased weight/skin thickness.

29 Sep 2005 10:21:19
J Flory
Re: Fluidesign ?

Scott Knox wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am considering ordering a Fluidesign light double and would be
> interested in any and all feedback from owners or current users. I have
> rowed both the single and double and enjoyed them both. The idea of a
> single skin hull vs honeycomb or foam core that does not dent or
> reportedly take on weight and water over time interests me. I would
> love to hear some debate on that subject however. Since these shells
> are relatively new on the maket, any feedback on durability so far
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Scott K

Fluidesigns have been discussed at length here. If you access this
group via Google, entering "Fluidesign" in the "Search this Group"
window at the upper right will pull up a ton of previous comments about
them.

They are built using a resin system normally used in aircraft, which
involves a high temp cure (I don't think it's as high as for prepreg).
I don't know if this resin would make them more or less durable than
boats made with more conventional non-prepreg resins.

29 Sep 2005 11:08:53
Re: Fluidesign ?

I love my fluidesign 2x. At the moment it is still stuck in England, I
hope they will let me have it back soon since it does have 3
international medals in it already and hopefully more to come.

01 Oct 2005 18:52:16
Jonny
Re: Fluidesign ?

I have a friend who loves her Fluidesign. None have gotten as far as
AUS for me to offer a personal opionion.

I am also interested in alternative construction methods. One boat
builder here is now offering what he calls a 'single skin carbon' that
in reality has two carbon layers with a very thin (2mm) core. It is not
nomex honeycomb and it is not foam. He is being cagey and wont say what
it is! Results are very good though - on weight and seemingly as stiff
as the top carbon/nomex boats.

Any ideas what it is he is using?