24 Jul 2003 11:25:05
Neil Wallace
Fluid intake

The British Medical association issued a warning last week about over
consumption of fluids during exercise.

details contained within this article from the Glasgow Herald.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/living/archive/24-7-19103-21-48-46.html

questions the 30 year old advice that to wait until you're thirsty is too
late.

24 Jul 2003 21:17:18
Neil Wallace
Re: Fluid intake

"Christopher Anton" <c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message
> or if you want to go to the horse's mouth - although I'm fairly p'd off
> with the BMJ at the moment because they rejected one of our research
> projects and have published something almost identical in this week's
> issue :(
>
> http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/327/7407/113

thanks Chris.
good stuff.

28 Jul 2003 05:55:28
Caroline Turnbull
Re: Fluid intake

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*NOPSAM*virgin.net > wrote in message news:<AdXTa.6888$T77.729659@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net>...
> "Christopher Anton" <c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > or if you want to go to the horse's mouth - although I'm fairly p'd off
> > with the BMJ at the moment because they rejected one of our research
> > projects and have published something almost identical in this week's
> > issue :(
> >
> > http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/327/7407/113
> >

> thanks Chris.
> good stuff.

I did the Boston Marathon a few years ago (the one in Lincolnshire,
not the US version which for some strange reason takes place on dry
land) and made the mistake of drinking too little - being worried
about the absence of loos en route. Result - dramatic loss of energy
after a couple of hours and embarrassingly slow time.

As in all things, moderation is the key. The article says that 400 -
800 ml per hour is about right (that's about a pint if you're a
pre-decimalisation Vet D like me). Best to drink it in regular small
amounts. Stop when you feel you've had enough.

CT

28 Jul 2003 17:09:59
Allan Bennett
Re: Fluid intake

In article <6345a9a1.0307280455.621316fb@posting.google.com >,
Caroline Turnbull <URL:mailto:carolinetu@aol.com > wrote:
> "Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*NOPSAM*virgin.net> wrote in message news:<AdXTa.6888$T7
> 7.729659@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net>...
> > "Christopher Anton" <c.anton@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > or if you want to go to the horse's mouth - although I'm fairly p'd off
> > > with the BMJ at the moment because they rejected one of our research
> > > projects and have published something almost identical in this week's
> > > issue :(
> > >
> > > http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/327/7407/113
> > >

> > thanks Chris.
> > good stuff.
>
> I did the Boston Marathon a few years ago (the one in Lincolnshire,
> not the US version which for some strange reason takes place on dry
> land) and made the mistake of drinking too little - being worried
> about the absence of loos en route. Result - dramatic loss of energy
> after a couple of hours and embarrassingly slow time.
>
> As in all things, moderation is the key. The article says that 400 -
> 800 ml per hour is about right (that's about a pint if you're a
> pre-decimalisation Vet D like me). Best to drink it in regular small
> amounts. Stop when you feel you've had enough.

I think that's the point - you don't know when you've 'had enough', or too
much or too little.

Other research with runners seems to indicate that dehydration is not the
main culprit for the symptoms you encountered (and others, like total
collapse at the end of marathon events), but pooling of blood in the active
muscles - caused by loss of tone of blood vessels or whatever. In marathon
kayak racing, long spells in the boat are interspersed with portages, where
blood needs to be shifted to other muscle-groups, and this tends to enliven
paddlers who otherwise might be feeling too weary to continue.

Allan Bennett