25 Jan 2007 00:12:12
boatie
Eric Craies Dies

Eric Craies - the grand old man of New Zealand Rowing Coaching died on
January 24th.

He coached an eight at the Tokyo Olympics who were widely tipped to
make the final but succumbed to the "Tokyo Flu".

Later, realising that he could spread the rowing method further by not
solely coaching crews himself, he moved to coaching coaches on how to
coach in 1965. He devised and drew up the first diagram of the rowing
stroke cycle for New Zealand rowers with Dave Stotter during WW2 and
introduced modern training methods learnt from other sports,
particularly the runner, Arthur Lydiard. He was always willing to
share his knowledge with others and was generous with his advice and
ideas.

He started coaching at Petone RC in Wellington in 1937. Returning to
Auckland he rejoined West End in 1939 and coached at the club through
the war and in 1949 produced his first Championship winning eight (the
'49ers). The first in the club's history. They went on to represent
New Zealand at the 1950 Empire Games where they lost to Australia by
one foot. He was appointed a New Zealand selector in 1958 and coached
a NZ 8 for the three test series against Australia in 1961 which they
won. The crew went on to 1962 Commonwealth Games in Perth where they
got a silver medal losing by 2 feet. His final international crew was
the squad-trained 8 for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

He coached Mount Albert Grammar School in 1940s and 50s and they won 13
Maardi Cups. He then moved on to join the Westlake Boys High School
rowing programme in 1965 and one legendary year, 1983, they won all the
eights events at the Maardi Cup.

Eric was a lifetime member and coach at West End Rowing Club in
Auckland at which he rowed with his brothers in 1930s. His schoolboy
athletes frequently joined the club and continued rowing as seniors.
His innovations included running a squad system (previously selections
took whole crews from a single club), doing long training pieces
through the winter to build fitness, and also holding training camps
with the athletes sleeping in the club house in the run-up to big
regattas.

"He had acquired a deep knowledge of rowing technique and above all had
the patience and ability to impart that knowledge to young oarsmen many
of whom he coached from schoolboy crews right through to becoming New
Zealand champions and in some cases international representatives."
Quote from Jim Craies writing in 'West End Rowing Club Centennial
History 1884 to 1984'.

25 Jan 2007 08:54:29
Mike Sullivan
Re: Eric Craies Dies

"boatie" <rebecca@caroe.com > wrote in message
> Eric Craies - the grand old man of New Zealand Rowing Coaching died on
> January 24th.
>
> He coached an eight at the Tokyo Olympics who were widely tipped to
> make the final but succumbed to the "Tokyo Flu".
>
> Later, realising that he could spread the rowing method further by not
> solely coaching crews himself, he moved to coaching coaches on how to
> coach in 1965. He devised and drew up the first diagram of the rowing
> stroke cycle for New Zealand rowers with Dave Stotter during WW2 and
> introduced modern training methods learnt from other sports,
> particularly the runner, Arthur Lydiard. He was always willing to
> share his knowledge with others and was generous with his advice and
> ideas.

It's an interesting juxtaposition. In the early 60s Karl Adam had
introduced
the interval training methods to rowing that Emil Zatopek had popularized
in the 40s and 50s in distance running, and that great swim coach Kiphuth
from Yale introduced to swimming and Doc Counsilman propogated and
perfected.

At the same time interval training was growing around the world,
Arthur Lydiard had a stable of distance runners, Aussies, and NZers
including Murray Halberg and Peter Snell( my hero as a kid).
He introduced the concept of aerobic training through long slow distance
as a method of building a base over years, and tacking the intervals
judiciously on top of that.

I'd never heard of coach Craies, thanks for sharing!

Seems like he deserves a Wikipedia entry.

Mike

25 Jan 2007 12:40:19
Robert Treharne Jones
Re: Eric Craies Dies

Sorry to hear the news, Becs - best wishes and condolences to yourself
and Grant.

Robert