31 Jul 2005 04:49:10
mikep
Ergometer Subliminal Fault Creation

At the risk of having myself labelled as one of the more feeble minded
contributors to this group, I would relay the following experience, as
it may benefit somebody.

Having spent a lot of time on my Concept 2 D Erg in lieu of rowing due
to pressures of family, coaching etc. I managed to get back into a
single scull after a fairly long absence.

I was dismayed to find that after the inital settling in period I
noticed that I was having a lot of trouble setting the boat, with a
flop to the left (bow) side being most prevalent. After examining my
hand position and also the boat for any obvious rigging defects and not
finding anything amiss, the only way to set the boat was a deliberate
lean or weight shift to the right. Since I had never encountered this
problem before I was most perplexed, as the "new" position needed to
set the boat felt a bit odd. I row by myself so no one else was around
to offer comment.

Anyway a short time later, back on the erg,(the rowing problem
forgotten) I began a bit of experimentation to see if I could reduce
the degree to which the chain jumped about during the chain return
phase.

Since the chain appeared a bit offset to the left I began moving my
body to the right and low and behold the chain retraction became a lot
smoother.

I then repostioned the erg so that I was facing directly at the large
mirror I have in the room and sure enough my body had a slight lean the
left. I normally have the erg at 45 degrees to the mirror to allow
access to the kids Playstation etc. so I don't normally see the head on
view.

What had caused this apparent change in body position?

The only thing that stood out was the positon of the PM3 monitor. As we
all know the monitor is offset to the left of centre for folding down
purposes when transporting the machine.

My theory is that all the hours on the erg looking at and over the
monitor, I subconciously centred my body on the centre line of the
monitor, which in fact has an offset to the left and over time that
became my "normal" position.

My solution was to remove the bracket holding the monitor and rotate it
180 degrees, this places the centre line of the PM3 on the centre line
of the machine, the seat, and of course the body.

I have also installed a Rowers Shadow, (for other purposes), I have
marked with tape the centre lines of the Shadow and the machine. So at
the release position I just get everything in line.

Initially it took some concentration to force myself to stay on centre
and not drift left however after a few hours the concious effort is
diminishing and I am able to stay comfortably centred.

With all the Concept 2 C & D ergs out there I am wondering if anyone
else has experienced this subliminal erg effect?

PS. The problem in the scull has also correspondingly diminished.

31 Jul 2005 21:24:47
sue t
Re: Ergometer Subliminal Fault Creation

I rarely look at the monitor while erging, instead staying focused on the TV
which is just to the right of the erg fan. During commercials, I give it a
quick check to make sure I'm still putting in the effort, but otherwise I
ignore it. Once my 60 minute show is over, I'm done too.

I also try to ignore my SpeedCoach when on the water. I used to be very
focused on it, rarely lifting my eyes from it. At a Masters training camp,
the coach told me to start focusing on the horizon. It wasn't that I was
tilting my head down to look at the SpeedCoach, it was just that I was too
distracted by. It took some adjustment, but I now scull without paying much
attention to the SpeedCoach, other than to check the time now and then and
also ensure my spm is where it should be. The result is a more relaxed
stroke, and I now pay attention to what my body is telling me, rather than
what the SpeedCoach is telling me. And when I listen to my body and go with
what feels right, I move through the water a wee bit faster. When I check
the SpeedCoach, my splits are a bit lower than when I stay glued to it.

06 Aug 2005 18:07:49
Re: Ergometer Subliminal Fault Creation

You might also try erging one-footed, alternately. I found that I was
stronger with one leg than the other, and rowing one-footed tended
to equalize this.