14 Nov 2007 05:04:08
Designs for Rowing Tank

With the awful winds we experience in the Western Cape in South
Africa, we often struggle to get onto the water.
In order to get some useful training done we are looking to build a
rowing tank at our school.
Does anybody have any good designs or ideas for a tank. The old-
fashioned concrete tanks aren't ideal, but I don't know if there is
anything better out there,

Regards

Chris

14 Nov 2007 08:43:04
Robin
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

You could try something similar to the powered rowing tanks in London
and at the Strathclyde Park Scottish rowing centre, which were based
on the Arup design :

http://www.arup.com/poweredrowingtanks/see.htm

http://www.scottish-rowing.org.uk/NRA.html

We've used the Scottish one on a few occasions. Worked well enough
for us, although I understand you need to be careful about what speed
you start / stop the water flow at because otherwise it oscillates
back and forth in the tank and can cause some interesting tsunami /
flooding effects at the ends if outwith 'safe' limits when the flow is
shut off. From memory, the 'boat' in the middle didn't seem as wobbly
as a proper boat would be, although maybe the pivots were deliberately
locked out for beginners to make it easier to 'balance'.

14 Nov 2007 17:27:10
Carl
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

Robin wrote:
> You could try something similar to the powered rowing tanks in London
> and at the Strathclyde Park Scottish rowing centre, which were based
> on the Arup design :
>
> http://www.arup.com/poweredrowingtanks/see.htm
>
> http://www.scottish-rowing.org.uk/NRA.html
>
> We've used the Scottish one on a few occasions. Worked well enough
> for us, although I understand you need to be careful about what speed
> you start / stop the water flow at because otherwise it oscillates
> back and forth in the tank and can cause some interesting tsunami /
> flooding effects at the ends if outwith 'safe' limits when the flow is
> shut off. From memory, the 'boat' in the middle didn't seem as wobbly
> as a proper boat would be, although maybe the pivots were deliberately
> locked out for beginners to make it easier to 'balance'.

Robin -

Do you by any chance know how much power the pumps consume? The rated
3m/sec is a lot slower than most shells, but I should imagine that, with
all the extra surface area, & the need to turn the flows twice, it uses
rather a lot of kilowatts. It is a training aid, but were it to
simulate an eight doing only 5m/sec, then it'd consume over 4.5x as much
power.

I do like the idea of being able to simulate swamping by inducing
fore-aft slop in the tank. So much more convenient than having to risk
your life on the Loch, or at Hammersmith ;)

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

14 Nov 2007 17:49:05
Alistair Potts
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

Hello Chris - I've got a better idea: almost anything you can think of is
better value for money than a water tank.

People use tanks occasionally when they're there of course. "Oooh, that was
different," they think, before doing something else useful.

As a training aid (assuming a good coach with a competent rower):
Water 7 - 10/10
Erg 6/10
Enhanced erg (slides, sweep, computer screen etc.) 7 to 10/10
Tank 4/10

As a fitness aid
Water 9/10
Erg 10/10 - no faff!
Enhanced erg 8/10 (too many discractions!)
Tank 1/10

As value for money
Water - 10/10 (that's what it's all about after all)
Erg - 8/10
Enhanced erg - too many variables
Tank - 0/10

Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

On Nov 14, 9:49 am, "Alistair Potts" <alistair.potts+use...@gmail.com >
wrote:
> Hello Chris - I've got a better idea: almost anything you can think of is
> better value for money than a water tank.
>
> People use tanks occasionally when they're there of course. "Oooh, that was
> different," they think, before doing something else useful.
>
> As a training aid (assuming a good coach with a competent rower):
> Water 7 - 10/10
> Erg 6/10
> Enhanced erg (slides, sweep, computer screen etc.) 7 to 10/10
> Tank 4/10
>
> As a fitness aid
> Water 9/10
> Erg 10/10 - no faff!
> Enhanced erg 8/10 (too many discractions!)
> Tank 1/10
>
> As value for money
> Water - 10/10 (that's what it's all about after all)
> Erg - 8/10
> Enhanced erg - too many variables
> Tank - 0/10

Check out Stillwater at http://www.stillwaterdesign.com/pages/tanks.html

I think they've been installing a tank in Ireland recently.

15 Nov 2007 10:49:19
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

these look really nice:

http://www.durhamboat.com/tanks.php

15 Nov 2007 21:11:24
liz
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

however, As a training aid (assuming a good coach with a INcompetent
rower) - they're really quite useful - especially mid-winter when the
on-water conditions are rubbish.

liz

25 Nov 2007 12:58:44
Henry Law
Re: Designs for Rowing Tank

chris_vermaak@hotmail.com wrote:

> In order to get some useful training done we are looking to build a
> rowing tank at our school.
> Does anybody have any good designs or ideas for a tank. The old-
> fashioned concrete tanks aren't ideal, but I don't know if there is
> anything better out there,

The youth rowing club in Wilmington DE (USA) had one installed not too
many years ago, and it was fibreglass IIRC. Gordon, the guy who runs it
(aka POWER10), used to post to this group - you could Google for his
email address and try him for advice.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England